Author Topic: Hydrogenated Fats  (Read 43167 times)

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
Re: Hydrogenated Fats
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 03:42:44 AM »
Okay so here's a question or maybe a statement I would like you all's opinion on.  I was talking today with (chemistry major) DH about hydrogenated oils, avoiding them and frying things in oil and he said that the process of hydrogenation is automatically performed when the oils reach a certain temperature.  This would mean that it doesn't really matter what oil you use to deep fry something it's going to be hydrogenated by the end.  So I was just curious if perhaps certain oils have a higher 'hydrogenating' temperature than others and what those temps are?

-Heather

I took one food science class and in that they said that hydrogenation is an unnatural process.  They don't just heat up the oil, but they also put a catalyst, that causes the reaction to happen, and hydrogen.  If heating up oil caused the formation of trans-fats, I don't think that it would be recommended to use them (unless that part is just not well known yet  :P).

http://www.cyberparent.com/nutrition/hydrogenated1.htm

However I would really love of you to run this by your  husband and get an expert opinion.  I definitely use olive oil for most of my cooking because I thought that it was healthier.  Let us know what your husband says Pastorswife2B.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 04:30:43 AM »
mommyofeight-

I use coconut oil in place of Crisco type stuff now.  But I am also converting to butter instead of Crisco/LouAnn Coconut oil.  Cheaper for me and easier to find.

I use Canola oil in my fryer but I'm just starting to read about "Free Radicals" and other things that WTM says about canola being nasty.  All I know so far is that I'm not sure if I want my radicals free or restrained...

I have read (regarding french fries) that peanut oil is good for deep frying.  But since I can't get that at Aldi, I'm not getting that yet.

Might be some others with ideas out there....?

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 05:41:29 AM »
Okay so here's a question or maybe a statement I would like you all's opinion on.  I was talking today with (chemistry major) DH about hydrogenated oils, avoiding them and frying things in oil and he said that the process of hydrogenation is automatically performed when the oils reach a certain temperature.  This would mean that it doesn't really matter what oil you use to deep fry something it's going to be hydrogenated by the end.  So I was just curious if perhaps certain oils have a higher 'hydrogenating' temperature than others and what those temps are?

-Heather
BUMP
I'm curious about this also.  :-\
We bake with Crisco.... and I'm about to purchase a fryer and fill it with canola oil. (it is what I have on hand)
Questions:
Can I *really*  use coconut (LouAnn) oil in baking in lieu of Crisco?
Which would be the *better* of the two in a fry daddy... canola oil or just plain veg oil? We have 8 kids... not a lotta money for a food budget. ;)
Thanks for your help! :) (and can someone answer sOOONNN??? We are putting away our computer after this week!)

To fill a fryer with LouAna might be expensive.  I've not heard anything good about Canola.  If you want to fill a fryer inexpensively and healty, I'd go with the lard (JMO).  ;)

My cousin is using peanut oil in her fryer and was very happy with the taste of her french fries.  I don't know anything about the health factors of peanut oil and heating, but I eat peanut butter almost daily, so there's got to be something good there.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

freshisbest

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 03:17:24 AM »
When Home Depot was selling deep fryers around Thanksgiving they were also selling the giants jugs of peanut oil for about $20. To make a long story short we DID deep fry the turkey ( which was delicious) and I found the big pot of oil out in the garage while we were cleaning out. Its a year old. hubby says " go ahead and use it! Its just oil! In 20 years it would look the same as that!" Uh.....I love you Hon, but year old oil? How long do you all keep oil in your fryers? Lets assume I go with peanut oil ( yes I'll buy new) ...

freshisbest

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2007, 08:39:25 AM »
Peanut Oil is sold at Home Depot ... 3 gallons for $25. The additive Dimethylpolysiloxane ( emulsifier, antifoaming agent, anti-caking agent) is
in it, but this additive is not listed as one to avoid on the www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info website list of Things To Avoid.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 07:45:26 AM »
Comic Strip

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2007, 08:25:03 AM »
I got this in a flylady email this morning, written by Leanne the cooking mentor, and I thought it was cute & informative. It's an imaginary trial: olive oil & butter v. margarine.

"Pretend with me, for a minute, that I am a nutritional attorney defending a bottle of olive oil in a non-fat Court of Food. I am giving closing arguments to Judge Dinner Saver. Shhh...come on into the Food Court, and take a listen:

"Judge, let me just summarize the defendant's right to be included in a healthy diet by giving the Court these facts:

Fact One: A developing child (before and after birth and throughout childhood) must have fat for normal brain development.

Fact Two: Olive oil is a monounsaturated fat that reduces the bad cholesterol (LDL) while not affecting the good cholesterol (HDL).

Fact Three: It satiates and helps with that "full" feeling-- helping people not to over eat.

Fact Four: It helps keep skin and hair healthier looking.

Fact Five: It helps food taste better," I said motioning dramatically to my client, the olive oil.

The Judge was unmoved and eyed me like a piece of lettuce lodged in her tooth.

"Everything you say maybe true, Ms. Dinner Diva, but isn't it true that oils are unstable?" she said, arching her eyebrows and drawing out the last word for emphasis.

"That is true, Judge. But this is easily overcome by purchasing the right oil. For example, a cold pressed or expeller pressed oil most often found in health food stores, is always a good oil and is labeled as such. Never mind the instability problem--if the oils are stored correctly in the refrigerator after opening, their fatty acids are preserved and no more rancid oils!" I said triumphantly, taking my seat. But I could see the Judge wasn't willing to back down and asked the question I had been dreading.

"Well, margarine is made from oil and yet you told me earlier that it was hydrogenated and a bad choice! So you have the audacity to tell the food court to eat BUTTER!" she bellowed, startling the poor olive oil.

I sighed and shifted nervously in my chair. "Here we go again," I thought. Slowly rising to my weary feet, I pitch one more time.

"Honorable Judge, while it is true that butter is a saturated fat, it is still real food and is digestible by the body. IF it is eaten in mass quantities, it will be problematic both for your thighs and your heart. Margarine, on the other hand, is hydrogenated oil with fake colors and flavorings. This is a product filled with trans-fatty acids which will actually RAISE LDL levels and reduce the HDL levels. Not only that, but the trans-fatty acids will age you faster than sitting in a tanning booth with your face slathered in baby oil," I said, slamming the well-oiled table with my open hand.

Judge Dinner Saver removed her glasses and rubbed her eyes and sat for a moment. The tension could be cut with a butter knife.

"Thank you, counselor," said the Judge finally. "Obviously, we can all use all the help we can get with our health and as far as I'm concerned with regard to The Non-Fat People vs. Olive Oil, case dismissed!" She slammed her gavel down and smiled for the first time.

A cheer went up in the audience. The safflower oil and peanut oil embraced as the butter melted in its chair. It was emotional for every oil and almost every fat...however, the Crisco and margarine left in a huff."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2007, 04:35:18 PM »
Good news!

Tonight, we were at Wallyworld with my MIL.  She actually asked me for my opinion on which cooking oil to buy.   :o

So, while explaining what I knew about hydrogenated oils, I read all of the bottles and found that most of the liquid oils are now NOT partially hydrogenated like they used to be.  Veggie oil is still 100% soybean oil, but the corn, canola, safflower, & peanut oils were all just plain oil.  Probably not the best choices, but still better than what they used to  be.  No more trans fats!!  ;D

My favorite herb book!!

Offline elbereth

• Learning
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2008, 06:32:16 AM »
WARNING!!! Update!!!!  The lard from Soaper's choice is now hydrogenated!!!!  As is the tallow that they have. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2008, 02:30:14 PM »
WARNING!!! Update!!!!  The lard from Soaper's choice is now hydrogenated!!!!  As is the tallow that they have. 
*sigh*  well, I just fell in love with my Peanut Oil, good timing, I guess.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline elbereth

• Learning
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 08:27:07 AM »
I get my lard now from the Amish Butcher in my area.  You have to render it yourself, I was nervous at first but now it's old hat.  I get it in big plastic garbage bags and then I transfer that out to freezer bags and place in the freezer, and when I start running out I just take out a bag of frozen lard, tear off the plastic and put the chunk of frozen fat in my crock pot, turn it on warm, and let it cook till the "cracklings" are brown and floating in a lump in the middle of the melted lard, which can take overnight, or less depending on the size of the chunk of fat.  Then I take out the cracklings, save them to season cornbread, and let the lard cool some.  Then when it is just warm, I put it in a big glass jug in my fridge, I know the amish in my area strain it into mason jars when it is hot (but not boiling) and put the lid on tight, turn it upside down and let it cool overnight and they don't refrigerate it.  I'm too chicken to not refrigerate it...

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 09:09:54 AM »
Want to add these links to posts I made a while back on my blog.

Trans Fats and You Part 1
-- About research into trans fats.

Trans Fats and You Part 2
-- About how hydrogenated oils are made.

Trans Fats and You Part 3
-- About what trans fats are and what they do in your body.

WR
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 03:41:30 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2009, 07:37:16 PM »
*sigh*  well, I just fell in love with my Peanut Oil, good timing, I guess.
Due to the info shared by SC on oils, I've decided not to use this anymore.  Just happened across this very old post and thought I'd update.

I render my own lard and intend to learn tallow as well.  In addition to that I only use butter, sesame oil, olive oil & coconut oil (in that order of preference depending on the recipe).
  My favorite herb book!!