Author Topic: Can you explain Bach Flower essence(s) to me? How do they work?  (Read 4313 times)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
Can you explain Bach Flower essence(s) to me? How do they work?
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:31:40 AM »
I would like to get into trying some Deva flower (essence) remedies and wonder how they work, is it ok to take?

How do the essences work on our emotions? THe same way Herbs do?

They are safe for anyone(pregnancy nursing, baby, ect)

I would appriciate some help here with explaining and opinions!

YoopreMama

Re: Can you explain Bach Flower essence(s) to me? How do they work?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:45:18 AM »
LOL...I can't explain them, but I can vouch for their Bach Rescue Remedy (a blend of 5 flower essences).  :D  My midwife gave it to me during transition w/ my last baby.  I went from being totally uncooperative & unreasonable to being calm, pleasant and willing to negotiate getting on the bed in about 10 seconds.  I don't think the placebo effect would quite work that well in that situation.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 11:53:22 AM by Yooper »

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:51:37 AM »
Thanks!! :)   I do believe that they work. I just wondered about them! Anyone else?

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 03:47:09 PM »
LOL...I can't explain them, but I can vouch for their Bach Rescue Remedy (a blend of 5 flower essences).  :D  My midwife gave it to me during transition w/ my last baby.  I went from being totally uncooperative & unreasonable to being calm, pleasant and willing to negotiate getting on the bed in about 10 seconds.  I don't think the placebo effect would quite work that well in that situation.   ;D

What a coincidence ! I've been wondering about using bach flower essences during transition and since I can't sleep (it is 3 am and I am 38 weeks pregnant) I decided to do a search on it on WTM... Yooper, would you mind telling me which flower essences are in the blend your midwife gave you ? I don't live in the US so need the exact name of things (I won't find "Bach Rescue Remedy"). How did she use it on you ? Is it something you just smell and it relaxes you, or else ?... If it had an action on your emotionnal state, did it have any effect on the physical pain ?
Thanks for the answers to those questions ! I may come up with some more later on !

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:58:17 PM »
Hi again, I just did a search on Bach Flower essences and what I found on Wikipedia is troubling... They say Bach determined the vertues of the different flowers intuitively. Just by touching or smelling the flower he knew what therapic qualities they had... that sounds weird to me. What do you think ?

Offline mhsmama4

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 04:33:50 PM »
I also took this in labor, though in a "traditional" hospital setting and of my own accord.  It seemed to help me stay calm through transition, as this moves very quickly for me and is very intense.  Don't know the specific ingredients, though.  I know you put a small amount in a small amount of water and drink it.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 04:43:32 PM »
The Bach flower essences are somewhat similar to tinctures, but are made with water as the mediuim that the flowers are soaked.  Only 1 flower is used at a time.
Dr Bach started off as a pathologist and studied bacteria, but disliked the idea of causing pain or exposing his patients to disease.  He initally research homeopathics, but felt more drawn to the beauty of nature and believed that it was capable of healing.
His main deal is that the flower essences were to him a divine gift from God and that they could cure illness.  He felt that illness stemmed from psychological pain that led to physical symptoms, and that the energy from the flowers could balance the psyche.  Diagnosis can be either by a practitioner or self-diagnosis.  I have read that just picking the name or bottle that appeals to you is a form of diagnosis as your body knows what it needs.
I have not used these widely with the exception of Rescue Remedy on an occasion or 2, so I do not have alot of practical experience with this; I have only read a few books on Dr Bach and his therepies.

YoopreMama

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »
LOL...I can't explain them, but I can vouch for their Bach Rescue Remedy (a blend of 5 flower essences).  :D  My midwife gave it to me during transition w/ my last baby.  I went from being totally uncooperative & unreasonable to being calm, pleasant and willing to negotiate getting on the bed in about 10 seconds.  I don't think the placebo effect would quite work that well in that situation.   ;D

What a coincidence ! I've been wondering about using bach flower essences during transition and since I can't sleep (it is 3 am and I am 38 weeks pregnant) I decided to do a search on it on WTM... Yooper, would you mind telling me which flower essences are in the blend your midwife gave you ? I don't live in the US so need the exact name of things (I won't find "Bach Rescue Remedy"). How did she use it on you ? Is it something you just smell and it relaxes you, or else ?... If it had an action on your emotionnal state, did it have any effect on the physical pain ?
Thanks for the answers to those questions ! I may come up with some more later on !
It's called Rescue Remedy and the flowers are (hopefully no spelling errors--small font on the very small bottle):  Helianthemum nummularium, clematis vitalba, impatiens glandulifera, prunus cerasifera, & ornithogalum umbellatum in 27% alcohol.  It is homeopathic.

Offline chrysalyde

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »
Diagnosis can be either by a practitioner or self-diagnosis.  I have read that just picking the name or bottle that appeals to you is a form of diagnosis as your body knows what it needs.

See, that's what troubles me... how can your body "know" anything by just picking up a bottle ? How do you distinguish that with choosing a medication  based on a stick shaking or not when you go over the bottle (to me that is a form of divination) ?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 02:20:10 AM »
Diagnosis can be either by a practitioner or self-diagnosis.  I have read that just picking the name or bottle that appeals to you is a form of diagnosis as your body knows what it needs.

See, that's what troubles me... how can your body "know" anything by just picking up a bottle ? How do you distinguish that with choosing a medication  based on a stick shaking or not when you go over the bottle (to me that is a form of divination) ?
This practice also concerns me as well.  I am also concerned as even other self-diagnosis and practitioner based diagnosis is based upon feeling and emotion.  Moods are treated with this therapy.  For each essence there are characteristics of healthy balance of characteristics for the essence and the characteristics exhibited when there is a block. 
I do have issues with divination-type diagnosis, but I think that I take more issue with diagnosis based upon feeling/ emotion.