Author Topic: What to do about a broken nose??  (Read 7785 times)

kenshelpmeet

What to do about a broken nose??
« on: July 11, 2006, 10:35:22 AM »
My 5 year old just ran into a door jam and hit her nose really hard.  How do you tell if it's broken?  I've got ice on it, and it's bruising up.  What else should I do?

Offline fiveinarow

• Adept
Re: What to do about a broken nose??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 03:39:14 PM »
I broke my nose about 5 times when I was a little girl.  I was one of those people who would trip up stairs all the time.  We had concrete basement steps that I always used to fall on.  My doctor just put a bandage on my nose.  It was more for people to know not to touch my face.  And a reminder for me not to do it either. I do not have any lasting damage from the breaks. I do have some sinus problems but I think that comes from my mom, and dad.  I just have a scar that only comes out when I get a sunburn.  Most people can't even tell that I ever broke my nose.  It was painful so I would give lots of tender loving care.

kenshelpmeet

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 04:05:12 PM »
Thanks so much.  It's not looking too bad now, really.  A bit bruised, and a red scrape.  She says it's a bit sore, so I do believe I'll put a bandage on it to help her siblings remember to be careful around her. ;)

Offline Kari

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 05:24:25 PM »
When something like this happens around our house we immediately rub it gently to keep the lymph fluid from forming--many a goose-egg have been relieved by doing this.  Arnica gel rubbed on helps too.  Now that it is bruised it will probably hurt to rub it but you might rub it for about 60 seconds anyway.  It helps to keep the pressure off.  Kari
Proverbs 23:26   My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:54:37 PM »
I'm looking for more broken nose suggestions. My 5-year-old daughter tripped at Grandma's house and scraped her nose, top to bottom, on the toy chest. We all heard a "crack" and it swelled immediately. Now (the next day) both eyes are purple and black, it's VERY swollen, and there's a big lump on one side. Anything we can do for her?

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 04:59:10 AM »
Poor girl! Ice as much as possible--we like to use corn cuddlers, or even frozen peas b/c they mold to the little body parts so nicely.

If you have arnical gel, that would help with bruising. And if the nose is truly broken, a comfrey salve applied topically would help with the mending. Of course, this little nose is going to be very sore for quite a while, so just avoiding more bumps is the best thing. Poor thing, hope she's doing better soon!
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline beelover

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:45:15 AM »
Ouch! poor girl
I would try Dr. Christopher's bone flesh and cartilage salve on her nose and then the pills or syrup by mouth.  This will help to speed up the healing and help it to heal all the way.