Author Topic: Henna for Hair Color  (Read 66355 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Henna for Hair Color
« on: July 10, 2006, 08:46:18 PM »
I have a long history of hair color.   ::)

I was born with coal black hair.  It all fell out and grew back in a white blonde.  It was very light blonde for many years and after puberty started it began to darken.  I really didn't like the dingey or dirty blonde look, so I started lightening my hair with SunIn when I was about 13.  That got to be a real pain so I started just bottle bleaching it.  I bleached until I was 23.  Then I started having my scalp troubles and thought it was the hair dye.  Much to my dismay this wasn't the cause of my problems and as my hair grew out to natural color I realized it had darkened even more.   Seven years later I started experimenting with dyes again.  :P  I tried red for awhile (it never stays) and I didn't like it much so I started bleaching again.  I can't get it as light as I used to with regular bottle dyes.  I would have to start stripping it and I'm too chicken as it's more damaging I've been told.  So now I've started using vinegar and my head is sooooooo healthy.  I bleached once more after my head was back to normal and it itched for about a week or so and then went back to normal. 

I'm at the point where I think I don't want to bleach anymore.  I tried chamomile (not lemon juice yet) and it didn't do anything for the color.  I think it made it glint and shiny but that's it.  I don't really want to have brown hair because it just doesn't compliment my face at all, so I ordered some henna.  I've heard that it either dyes red or brings out red highlights (which I have) or something like that. 

I'd love to get the skinny from anyone who has experience with it.  Will it cover my bleached hair the same as my dark roots?  Will I have 2 toned hair?  Will it fade naturally?  How often will I have to use it?  What color will my hair be?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
Re: Henna for Hair Color
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 05:48:10 AM »
I am an avid henna user..... I use it about evey 1 to 2 months, BUT my story is completly diffrent from yours cause i have dark brown hair, I have a lot of gray hair and it covers those completly, I am only 25 , my mom has gorgeous white hair but i am just not ready for that, so i usually use 3 parts medium brown, and 1 part mahogany, it gives me the most amazing lowlights and color, or sometimes for a little bit darker i use the dark brown, but that is more dark than i like. I did my sisterinlaws hair once which she had bleached with sun in, I used neautural and a touch of medium brown, it turned her hair an ugly orange, :) but it wore off soon, I dont think this really helps you ......... I do know that henna does not lighten. 

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 05:52:32 AM »
Helen, where do you get yours?
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 06:48:48 AM »
i usually use 3 parts medium brown, and 1 part mahogany,

What are these?  I just ordered some henna from bulkherbstore and it didn't have any choices of color other than red.  Am I missing something? 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 01:03:26 PM »
I started using henna on my hair this spring, mainly to blend in some gray hairs. Thankfully, before I used it the first time, I stumbled on this site: www.hennaforhair.com. There are a lot of mixes and techniques you can use and it is worth getting educated before trying it. I got the natural highlighted look I wanted without turning into a full-fledged redhead!

Henna is translucent, so it will not totally cover the first time, but has the capacity to with repeated applications. It is good for your hair, economical, and does fade naturally. Some people mix a little henna in their conditioner for soft hightlights (see Hennaforhair site). I did my hair nearly three months ago and I'm just now thinking I should henna it again.

You can get henna and other ingredients from: www.mehndiskinart.com and www.castleart.com. The Bulk Herb Store also has henna. The Light Mountain brand has the pre-mixed shades such as "light brown" and "auburn" (they're all shades of red though) and can be bought from a health-food store or online. Some people say Light Mountain is not as good quality but I wouldn't know.

The biggest key to success is to do strand tests until you get the result you want. Everyone's hair is different! As for me, I'm hooked. Hubby loves it too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 01:05:03 PM by Hedy »

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 12:55:25 AM »
I think my husband would like it if I add a little highlight etc just for something different.  I have never dyed my hair, nor have I desired to because I have always been happy with the hair color (I have brown hair with red & blonde highlights) and I have not wanted to risk damaging (I already have split ends) my hair, having to reapply or just having it turn out really horrible.  The boldest thing I have ever done to my hair was to have a perm twice when I was a teenager now my hair has  wave and gets curly when it is humid out (like today).

I am really grateful for the information on henna as it sounds like something that I could try!  I was wondering if there are any tips for beginners that anyone would be willing to offer.   After viewing the henna website, I think I would like to try the henna - red (from bulk herb store) mixed with cloves (to darken it).  What do you think?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 05:30:41 PM »
Hey
I get my henna from <a href="http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/cgi-bin/Main.pl?AID=079749&BID=30>Mountain Rose Herbs[/url]. they have lots of colors, the henna herb is still pure, they harvest it at diffrent times to get the diffrent colors,  I just henna d my hair tonight,
  Ok here are a couple of tips, If you have some grey hair you want to color use coffee, and a small dash of vinegar instead of water. You can even add a tablespoon or two of yogurt or an egg for hair that literally floats when you wash it out, BUT the egg makes it a little harder to wash out,
Do not shampoo after a henna treatment, let it rest overnight or a few days.
Use gloves on your hands otherwise you have orange fingernails for about a week.
try to match your hair color closely, henna is a little unperdictable so you will want to get to know it first so it doesnt pull any nasty tricks,         IF it does pull a nasty one, coat your hair in a good olive or coconut oil overnight and the next morning shampoo , that tones it down a lot. but put a towel over your pillow.
Be SURE and wipe your ears after the treatment while henna is setting in your hair,  ;D
Henna is so awsome, it is even beneificial if you are sick or feel depressed, I love to coat my hair and then sit in the sun, that makes it really sink in,
   I have been doing henna now for about a year and a half, I do it every month or two, I have NO more split ends, my hair grows like a bean pole, (tho part of that is because i drink so much water ::)  )   

As for colors, if you have dark brown hair an want a lot of reddish highlights I would do 2 parts medium brown and 2 parts mahogany,  If you want reddish lowlights, Use 3 parts dark brown and 1 part mahogany or sherry, sherry is red red, mahogany is more of a shiny glint. if that makes sense.  anyway it is totally worth it, and really fun to do with someone, that way you can wipe each others streaks that sneak out from under the saran wrap. good luck!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:09:18 PM by healthybratt »

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 02:01:01 AM »
Thanks for all the great information!  :)
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 03:48:35 PM »
The more I read, the more I think I don't want to mess with this.  Sounds like it will get all over everything.  I don't have 8 hours to walk around with a bag on my head trying not to sweat all over everything and not get it on my skin, clothes and furniture.

Any thoughts ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 07:24:39 PM »
The more I read, the more I think I don't want to mess with this.  Sounds like it will get all over everything.  I don't have 8 hours to walk around with a bag on my head trying not to sweat all over everything and not get it on my skin, clothes and furniture.

Any thoughts ???

Changed my mind.  I do this often.  ;)  I did a streak today to make sure it wasn't going to turn my hair green.  It's ORANGE  :o.  That's pretty much what I expected.  I'm going to look like a carrot.   ::)  Hubby will like it I'm sure.  He likes variety and he likes carrots too.   ;D  If I'm up to it, I'll be doing the whole head tomorrow.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 03:05:37 AM »

Any thoughts ???

Changed my mind.  I do this often.  ;)  I did a streak today to make sure it wasn't going to turn my hair green.  It's ORANGE  :o.  That's pretty much what I expected.  I'm going to look like a carrot.   ::)  Hubby will like it I'm sure.  He likes variety and he likes carrots too.   ;D  If I'm up to it, I'll be doing the whole head tomorrow.   ::)

Let us know how it goes. My hubby really wants me to try it also. I'm scared so I'll let you go first ;D

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:15:22 AM by Ella »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 07:47:18 AM »
How do I keep this stuff from staining my skin.  I did some research and henna is used for temporary tattoos, but temporary means 3 to 6 months.  I don't really want an orange mark on my face or neck for 3 to 6 months.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 08:06:56 AM »
Actually you are doing REALLY well if you can get a Henna Tattoo to stay on for 10 days.  Taking a shower in normal chlorinated water is enough to damage the properties of the tattoo and make it dissapear faster.  I had to protect my henna tattoo from the water in the shower and even then it was almost totally gone in ten days. 

I am trying a Henna shampoo and conditioner by the company Jason.  It isn't enough to really dye your hair another color but seems to be deepening my natural color.  My hair has a deeper glow to it.  I've only used it a couple of times but so far like it a lot!  ;D
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 09:07:55 AM »
Thanks Steph,

That makes me feel a little better.  I was so afraid I was going to have an orange hair line, neck and forehead.  The herbs I have are not shampoo (powder from the bulkherbstore) and they did turn my hair bright orange, so I'm assuming this is what you used for your tattoo.

Hubby just took my before pic, so I'm thinking about doing my hair after hubby leaves for work today. 

I'm skeert.  10 days with an orange forehead is still more than I was hoping for. :-\

~hb
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 09:09:37 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 10:05:13 AM »
To further console you...  ;D  If Henna doesn't "set" properly it won't dye your skin either.  The henna tattoo artist told me that if is not allowed to "set" on your skin for 4 to 12 hours in a warm environment before being washed off. I'm thinking that if you have it on your skin or you see it leaking out from under the cap you can wipe it off and it won't stain your skin at all. 

[disclaimer] I have never personally done this myself am just speaking from what I learned from the Henna artist. [/disclaimer]
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 11:31:59 AM »
I've never gotten orange stains on my skin when I henna. But then I don't use a straight henna mix either. I do use some petroleum jelly around my hairline, and hubby coated his hands before applying it for me (instead of wearing gloves). I wonder if the non-petroleum jelly would work as well?  ;)

BTW, wrapping your hennaed hair in saran wrap while it sits works great for keeping it tidy. It also does a nice job of holding your natural heat in.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 02:07:10 PM »
I've been told 8 hours for a good set.  Does this sound right to you?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 07:55:04 PM »
I only do it for two. But I only go for highlights, not a full color change. You could try testing a wad of hair from your brush (or shower drain, or. . .) for 2 or 3 hours and see how it looks.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 08:11:34 PM »
I only do it for two. But I only go for highlights, not a full color change. You could try testing a wad of hair from your brush (or shower drain, or. . .) for 2 or 3 hours and see how it looks.

I already did an 8 hour test on a strand.  I have a stripe and I think that's how I want it.  I want to make sure it's going to last awhile.  Too messy to have to do every 2 weeks.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 10:15:12 AM »
I took the plunge.  Results in 5 more hours.  ;)  Pics tomorrow.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 12:50:04 PM »
This sounds so interesting!  I can't wait to see your pics, HB! 

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 04:12:27 PM »

bumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpHow'd it go? Inquiring minds want to know! ;)
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 06:03:30 PM »

bumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpHow'd it go? Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

It's about the color of your bumpity bumpity and my head itches. ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2006, 04:54:32 AM »
You're so adventurous, HB!  I'm such a wimp.  I grew up watching my mom dye her hair at home.  Most of the time it turned out nice, but usually once or twice a year she would have a mishap and have to go to the salon to get it fixed!   :o

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2006, 08:22:44 AM »
PRETTY! Does your head still itch?
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2006, 08:23:08 AM »
Before
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 06:30:51 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2006, 08:23:36 AM »
After
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 08:23:55 AM »
Dark Roots
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2006, 08:24:09 AM »
Still itchy.  Feels dry.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 08:29:42 AM »
Still itchy.  Feels dry.

I looks so healthy and shiny though! I like it.   ;D 

Are you using any sort of conditioner/moisturizer for your scalp?