Author Topic: homemade clothes  (Read 3482 times)

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
homemade clothes
« on: September 19, 2007, 05:21:28 PM »
My friend is going to be making some jean jumpers and skirts for my daughter and she isn't sure what to charge me for the labor. She said maybe you should get on that web site that you are always talking about and see what I should be charging you. So here I am hoping that some of you have done the same thing and can tell me what to have her charge. By the way can someone tell me how to use the smiley faces?

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
Re: homemade clothes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 02:59:12 AM »
For the smiley faces just click on the one you  like and it will go right where you are in typing you reply. :)

For how to charge I know Sparkys9 has a lady  do sewing for her so Maybe she could tell you.I know she looked on line for a price using her own fabric.

Em

Offline mammamaude

• Adept
  • Our newest gifts from God!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 06:13:43 AM »
www.sewmodest.org
Excellent site!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 06:44:48 AM »
http://www.vintagesewing.info/
This site has entire text books on fashions from several decades listed. So, if you like a certain feature of a classic garment, you can easily look up how to utilize it in your pattern. Also, there is an entire section on making your own sloper. The best way I can think of to describe this is to think of a paper outline of your measurements (it's different from a tracing). Based on this sloper, you can construct any number of patterns (that are tailored to your measurements). The instructions show you how to place a variety of collars, sleeves, and other details together to create the fashion that is most flattering to you. All of the information is free.

http://www.fmfcorp.com/familyspot/sewing.html#dresses
This site has some nice features, but isn't as comprehensive, IMO.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 07:57:41 AM »
For the smiley faces just click on the one you  like and it will go right where you are in typing you reply. :)

For how to charge I know Sparkys9 has a lady  do sewing for her so Maybe she could tell you.I know she looked on line for a price using her own fabric.

Em
Since Em ratted on me,I'll oblige. These prices were all for ladies clothes:dresses $20-25,skirts $10-15,culottes $10,tops $10-15. Toddler dresses were $15,and children (say size 5-12) were $20 for dresses. This was with me providing fabric,also the price was dependent on how complicated the design was. I did get these prices off of a seamstress website,but I don't remember where.HTH.Amy
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline mammamaude

• Adept
  • Our newest gifts from God!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 04:51:16 AM »
www.sewmodest.org
Excellent site!

Yesterday, I didn't have much time, but I wanted to say a little more about sewmodest.org
It is owned by a Christian, homeschooling mom.  She sews modest clothing and invites otheres who also sew modest clothing to advertise on her website.  There are other various listings and a list of seamstresses and thier sewing specialties.  I believe it is free to list modest clothing or to advertise your sewing talent.
Among the listings are jumpers, modest swimwear, skirts, and other modest clothing.
From what I have seen, everything is very reasonably priced!
This is a really great site too find or advertise modest clothing, and even order custom clothing.
HTH,
Sarah

Offline mommyof3

• Adept
    • Discovery Toys
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 12:54:57 PM »
Does anyone on here sew many clothes for themselves?? I'm thinking of making some layered look nursing shirts for myself, but I'm kind of a beginner sewer and not sure on what size to make  :o  I'm tall n have longer arms so most clothing I even look at buying usually doesn't fit quite right. Wondering if anyone could give me pointers on how to lengthen the length and sleeve lengths  ???  I didn't see on this particular pattern n e place for changing it. I think I'll prolly measure a shirt I have that fits well and try to base it off that? Of course a lot of my long-sleeve shirts, I just buy a small or medium mans becuz they fit a lot better! Aaaahhh. I'm excited to do this but also nervous! What if it doesn't turn out to fit right!!!!???? Guess I could always give it to someone.  :D LOL! Uh well. N e suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!  ;D   ::)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 01:07:28 PM »
Does anyone on here sew many clothes for themselves?? I'm thinking of making some layered look nursing shirts for myself, but I'm kind of a beginner sewer and not sure on what size to make  :o  I'm tall n have longer arms so most clothing I even look at buying usually doesn't fit quite right. Wondering if anyone could give me pointers on how to lengthen the length and sleeve lengths  ???  I didn't see on this particular pattern n e place for changing it. I think I'll prolly measure a shirt I have that fits well and try to base it off that? Of course a lot of my long-sleeve shirts, I just buy a small or medium mans becuz they fit a lot better! Aaaahhh. I'm excited to do this but also nervous! What if it doesn't turn out to fit right!!!!???? Guess I could always give it to someone.  :D LOL! Uh well. N e suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!  ;D   ::)

A good way to customize the pattern to your own dimensions is to first make it from the pattern in an inexpensive fabric to see how it fits.  Maybe an old sheet or some $1 or $2 a yard stuff.  This is double the work, but it will give you an idea of how the pattern fits you and where you need to adjust.  Make adjustments and transfer them to the pattern.   I always write on the pattern envelope what adjustments I need to make to the fit for me or for my daughters. 
Another idea is to look at the library or on Amazon.com or some other such spot for a book on alterations, I think there's one by Singer.  That would show you some ideas on where and how to alter a pattern. 

As far as lengthening sleeves, the best place to add length on most styles is right below where your elbow would be.  If you cut across the sleeve pattern piece right there, then you add however much you want to add in length by the space between the cut edges, and tape some paper between the pieces to make it a whole pattern piece again. 

Length of garment is a little different.  Determine if you need to add the length above the waistline or below.  Either is easy from there, just add length at the bottom of the pattern piece when cutting out. 

Hope that helps!
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Nickole

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 05:06:13 PM »
HOMESCHOOL JOANN's FABRIC 15% TEACHER DISCOUNT CARD!!!!

Go to http://peah.com/joann.php
and get an access code. 

Then go to:
www.joann.com and search "teacher discount" and sign up for the 15% teacher discount card.  WOWEEE!!!  Can't wait to get it!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 05:25:23 PM »

This is great, Nickole!  What do I put in the box that says:  Group name?  Do I put in HSLDA? 
Also, it says discount is for "school related items".  Is there some sort of regulation as what constitutes as a school item?

Nickole

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »

This is great, Nickole!  What do I put in the box that says:  Group name?  Do I put in HSLDA? 
Also, it says discount is for "school related items".  Is there some sort of regulation as what constitutes as a school item?

I didn't put anything there.  It's not a required field.  I would consider all my items school related, as we do "life" which is school to us, together, all day long.   ;)  Unless it was a gift for someone else, but I want to start making skirts and such so that's home ec for ya!  Most likely they will not ask, "how is this for SCHOOL?!" Then I would explain the above. 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 06:07:41 PM »
Okay, thanks, Nick! ;)

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 09:48:19 PM »
I've used my card many times with no problem at all.  You can use it on everything and for your whole order.