Author Topic: Caution: Rich dessert recipes contained in this thread. Open at your own risk.  (Read 75773 times)

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
Ghirardelli Ultimate Double Chocolate Cookies

Yield – 2 dozen cookies

1 bag (11.5 oz) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
6 Tbsp. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
1 bag (12 oz.) Ghirardelli Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

In a double boiler over hot water, melt the bittersweet chocolate chips and butter. In large bowl with electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar until thick; stir in chocolate mixture. In small bowl, stir together flour and baking powder; stir into chocolate mixture. Gently mix in semi-sweet chocolate chips and walnuts. Using a sheet of plastic wrap, form dough into two logs, each 2 inches in diameter and about 8 inches long. As dough will be very soft, use plastic wrap to hold dough in log shape. Wrap tightly. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm. Preheat oven to 375. Unwrap dough; with sharp knife, cut into ¾ inch slices. Place slices 1 ½ inches apart on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake 12-14 minutes or until shiny curst form on top by interior is still soft. Cool on baking sheet.

These are "to die for." We don't have all these "bad" ingredients in our house, but I got a friend to make them for me and bring them over the other day! They were as good as I anticipated. My husband, who doesn't care for sweets that much, said he could eat 2 dozen of them!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
These are my husbands favorite cookies! I make these for his Bd rather than a cake :D He prefers that I grind the nuts up in a blender rather that add them chopped.
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oh, my, Em!!  These were the best!  Thanks for the recipe, definitely a keeper.  ;)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
White Chocolate Cake
1/2 cup water
4 oz. white chocolate, chopped
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350*. Grease and flour 3 8" pans or 2 9". Heat water and add chocolate. Stir until melted, heat gently if needed. Set aside to cool. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until very fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each.  Add the cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla. Mix well.
In a separate bowl sift together the flour, salt, and soda. In another bowl beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add the sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating w/ buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Gently fold in egg whites. Divide batter among pans, handling gently. Bake about 30 minutes or until done. This cake is moist, so don't overbake. Let cool for 5 minutes and then turn out of pans. Cool.

White Chocolate Frosting
4 oz. white chocolate chopped
1/2 cup butter
1 egg yolk, optional
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp. heavy cream
approx. 3 cups confectioner's sugar
Melt chocolate stirring constantly. Set aside to cool completely. In medium bowl combine cooled chocolate, butter, egg yolk, vanilla, and cream. Add confectioner's sugar until desired consistency is reached.

burlsgirl

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oh, my, Em!!  These were the best!  Thanks for the recipe, definitely a keeper.  ;)

Glad you liked them.  :D They last NO time around here!

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
Wanted to post my new favorite rich dessert...  Pumpkin Cheesecake! 

This is seriously good!  As far as unhealthy goes, it isn't so very bad!  I think that other than the sugar, most of the ingredients are pretty good for you, especially if you make your own graham crackers!

Crust -
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Filling -
1 1/2 cups solid pack pumpkin
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
three 8-ounce packages cream cheese, cut into bits and softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon bourbon liqueur or bourbon if desired (I substitute vanilla)

For the topping
2 cups sour cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon bourbon liqueur or bourbon, or to taste (again, vanilla)

16 pecan halves for garnish

Make the crust:
In a bowl combine the cracker crumbs, the pecans, and the sugars, stir in the butter, and press the mixture into the bottom and 1/2 inch up the side of a buttered 9-inch springform pan. Chill the crust for 1 hour.

Make the filling:
In a bowl whisk together the pumpkin, the egg, the cinnamon, the nutmeg, the ginger, the salt, and the brown sugar. In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream together the cream cheese and the granulated sugar, beat in the cream, the cornstarch, the vanilla, the bourbon liqueur, and the pumpkin mixture, and beat the filling until it is smooth.

Pour the filling into the crust, bake the cheesecake in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the center is just set, and let it cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes.

Make the topping:
In a bowl whisk together the sour cream, the sugar, and the bourbon liqueur.

Spread the sour cream mixture over the top of the cheesecake and bake the cheesecake for 5 minutes more. Let the cheesecake cool in the pan on a rack and chill it, covered, overnight. Remove the side of the pan and garnish the top of the cheesecake with the pecans.

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
This recipe, from a friend of ours, has become a part of our family's Saint Patrick's Day traditions - best when served after a cup of Irish Cream coffee and with green napkins.  ;)

Creme De Menthe Squares

1 1/4 c. butter, melted and divided

1/2 c. cocoa

3 1/2 c. powdered sugar, divided {I usually use more than that}

1 egg, slightly beaten {I substitute 1/4 c water mixed with 2 T ground flax seed}

1 tsp vanilla

2 c. graham cracker crumbs

1/4 to 1/3 c. green creme de menthe
{OR Green food coloring, mint extract, extra powdered sugar, 4 oz cream cheese (cream cheese is optional) }

1 1/2 c. chocolate chips

Combine 1/2 c melted butter, cocoa, 1/2 c. powdered sugar, egg, vanilla, and graham cracker crumbs, stirring until blended. Press mixture onto the bottom of an ungreased 9 x 13 pan. Combine 1/2 c. melted butter and creme de menthe {or substitute mentioned above} in a mixing bowl. Gradually add remaining 3 c. or so powdered sugar, beating at low speed until smooth. Spread over crumb layer. Chill 1 hour. Combine remaining 1/4 c. melted butter and chocolate chips in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until chocolate melts, stirring constantly. Spread over mint layer. Chill 2 hours. Cut into small squares. Store in refrigerator or freezer. Yield: 6 dozen.

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
I make something similar to that, (chocolate coating on top,  mint in the middle) with a thin layer of brownies on the bottom instead.  Just for anyone who loves this recipe and wants another variation.  Unfortunately, I still like the boxed brownies the best - but don't tell anyone! ;)   ~L

Offline mammamaude

• Adept
  • Our newest gifts from God!
Here is a recipe I thought some of you *snicker's candy bar fans*  might enjoy.  It is definitly NOT healthy, and one piece probably contains THOUSANDS  of calories...but it is so so good!

Snickers Cake Overload

Devils food (or any other chocolate) cake mix
6 Full Size Snicker's Candy Bars
1 small can sweetened condensed milk
1 16 oz jar Carmel (ice cream topping is fine)
Whipped cream

Prepare the cake mix according to package instructions.  Bake.  Cut 5   candy bars into bite size (I like 3/4" pieces).  While it is still hot, insert candy pieces into the cake.  Pour on sweetened condensed milk.  Pour or spread on the carmel.  Top with a thin layer of whipped cream.  Cut up the remaining candy bar into 1/2" pieces and place on top. 

This cake is so rich and delicious...Especially if served with ice-cream!!

-Sarah

Offline corriebeth

• Adept
Here's my new favorite. Nothing healthy at all... :)

Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie

Crust:  crumble and mix the following ingredients together.
              1 c. crushed vanilla wafers (about 20) I’ve used graham crackers and animal cookies when desperate.
   1/3 c. brown sugar
   2 ½ T. butter, melted

Coat 9 in. pie pan with cooking spray. Press above mixture into bottom and sides of pan and bake at 350 for 10 min. Cool completely.

Arrange two bananas, sliced, in crust.

Filling: ¾ c. brown sugar
   ½ c. (4 oz) cream cheese
   ½ c. peanut butter
   ½ tsp. vanilla extract

8 oz container whipped topping
1/4 c. chocolate syrup

Combine the first four ingredients and beat until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread filling over crust and bananas. Drizzle with syrup. Cover and freeze a few hours or overnight. Thaw 15 min. before serving. YUMMY!
We'd been learning about Daniel at youth group (DH is a youth pastor) and recently my 3 yo DS said, "Mommy, I had a worse dream and it troubled me... "

Nebuchadnezzar, anyone?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

My family’s favorite cookie recipe!  These are quick to mix up in a Kitchen-aid mixer.  I bake only a dozen or so, and freeze the rest of the dough to bake later.

Preheat Oven to 375º         
Makes 6 Dozen

1 1/2 c. peanut butter
1 c. butter
2 1/2 c. brown sugar
6 T. milk
2 T. vanilla
2 eggs
3 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
1 c. peanut butter chips (I just dump in 2/3 of the bag of both kinds of chips, and reserve the rest for pressing into the tops)

Combine peanut butter, butter, sugar, vanilla and milk in mixer.  Beat until well blended.  Add eggs and mix until just blended. Combine flour, salt & soda on wax paper.  Dump 1/3 of the flour mix at a time into the creamed mixture until blended.  Stir in chips.  Drop tablespoon scoops onto un-greased cookie sheet with a cookie dough scoop or spoon.  OR, press the scoop of dough into a shallow dish of chips and then put them, chip side up, onto the cookie sheet.  Smush them down a bit, and they’ll bake out beautifully.  Bake at 375º for 6-7 minutes until just beginning to brown on the bottom.  Cool 2 minutes on pan before transferring to rack. 

Freezing unbaked dough: Line a cookie sheet with wax paper, and scoop dough balls onto it, placing them right next to one another.  Put sheet in freezer until the dough freezes solid.  Store the frozen cookie dough in a sealed container or freezer bag.  To bake:  Put frozen dough on cookie sheet to thaw while oven heats, then bake as directed. 

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

YoopreMama

Thanks, Hedy!  :)
I think I'm going to try this Friday for out of town family...Floydian, did you ever try it?
This is a great one for company, as it's pretty easy to make and yet very impressive. Another one of those "almost healthy" desserts.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

1-1/2 bags semisweet chocolate chips
10 Tbsp butter
5 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8 or 9-in round layer pan and line the bottom with wax or parchment paper. Melt chocolate and butter together over low heat and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolks. In large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff and blend in sugar. Fold in chocolate mixture. Spread in pan. Place in larger pan enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of cake pan. Bake 35 minutes, then cool completely before unmolding. Serve in small wedges with powdered sugar, whipped cream, or berries. Refrigerate leftovers.

and Floydian, I'm going to give this one a try...chocolate lovers abound in our family:  ;D
Favorite Pie Recipes

Chocolate Angel Pie:  Oh and this one is gluten free!!!

3 egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup nuts either walnut or pecan or even almond
1/2 tsp vanilla

1 pkg Baker's German sweet Chocolate
3 TBS water
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whipping cream whipped

Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt and beat till foamy.  Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition.  Continue beating until stiff peaks form.  Fold in nuts and vanilla.  Spoon into lightly greased 8 inch pie pan and make a nest like shell building up sides 1/2 inch above pan.  Bake at 300 for 50 - 55 minutes.  Cool.

Melt chocolate in water over low heat, stirring constantly.  Cool until thickened.  Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Then whip cream and fold in the cocolate mixture.  Pile into shell.  Chill about 2 hours.

Top with lightly sweetened whipped cream.
:-*

Offline floydian

• Master
No, I actually forgot about this, so thanks for bumping it. :D  This sounds great for Thanksgiving!!!!
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

YoopreMama

Can I include these in our Allergen Free cookbook, Ladies?

Made the cake this morning...smells wonderful!  I used the 12 oz. bag of choco. chips, per Hedy (3 c.).  I had extra so I used a smaller pan, too.  Maybe my round pan was smaller?
This is a great one for company, as it's pretty easy to make and yet very impressive. Another one of those "almost healthy" desserts.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

1-1/2 bags semisweet chocolate chips
10 Tbsp butter
5 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8 or 9-in round layer pan and line the bottom with wax or parchment paper. Melt chocolate and butter together over low heat and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolks. In large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff and blend in sugar. Fold in chocolate mixture. Spread in pan. Place in larger pan enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of cake pan. Bake 35 minutes, then cool completely before unmolding. Serve in small wedges with powdered sugar, whipped cream, or berries. Refrigerate leftovers.

This will be made next...Floydian said she chops the nuts about 3-4 mm.   8)  I have pecans.   ;D
Favorite Pie Recipes

Chocolate Angel Pie:  Oh and this one is gluten free!!!

3 egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup nuts either walnut or pecan or even almond
1/2 tsp vanilla

1 pkg Baker's German sweet Chocolate
3 TBS water
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whipping cream whipped

Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt and beat till foamy.  Add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition.  Continue beating until stiff peaks form.  Fold in nuts and vanilla.  Spoon into lightly greased 8 inch pie pan and make a nest like shell building up sides 1/2 inch above pan.  Bake at 300 for 50 - 55 minutes.  Cool.

Melt chocolate in water over low heat, stirring constantly.  Cool until thickened.  Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Then whip cream and fold in the chocolate mixture.  Pile into shell.  Chill about 2 hours.

Top with lightly sweetened whipped cream.

Offline floydian

• Master
Only if you like it!! ;D
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
Oh, NOOO!!  I'm on a diet, and all these look SO tempting.  I will be strong.  I will not make these desserts.  But I will share with you.  ;)  You can enjoy them in my name!  :D

OREO COOKIE DESSERT
18 oreo cookies, crushed
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened
1 1/4 c. evaporated milk
1 container Cool Whip
1/4 c. melted butter
1/2 c. butter
2 c. sugar
8 T. cocoa
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix cookies and melted butter; press into a 13 x 9 inch pan; freeze.  Spread softened ice cream on cookie mixture; freeze.  Combine remaining butter, sugar, milk and cocoa.  Boil in a saucepan 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add vanilla.  Cool.  Spread on the ice cream; freeze.  Top with Cool Whip.  Keep frozen; thaw 10 minutes to serve.

KISS YOUR COOKIES
Basic chocolate chip cookies
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. butter, softened
1 T. vanilla
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
3 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (or less, depending on taste)
Hershey's chocolate kisses, unwrapped

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, combine the sugars.  Add butter and cream together with the sugars.  Add vanilla and eggs, mixing well.  In a separate bowl, sift the flour, soda and salt together.  Add dry mixture to creamed mixture.  Mix well; dough will be stiff.  Add chocolate chips.  Line cookie sheets with waxed paper.  Wrap dough balls around chocolate kisses.  Bake 9-11 minutes. 

Or, just make the chocolate chip cookies plain.  Form the dough into balls and bake 10-12 minutes.

*Sigh*  I never make these anymore, because of family food allergies.  But I used to make them for gifts and potlucks, etc.  They're always a huge hit. 

CARAMEL SQUARES
1 box German chocolate cake mix
1 c. chocolate chips
1 small can evaporated milk
3/4 stick of butter, melted
1 (14 oz.) bag of caramels, unwrapped

Mix the cake mix, 1/2 c. milk and butter.  Put half of this mixture into a greased and floured pan.  Bake 6 minutes at 350.  Melt caramels in a saucepan; add remaining milk and spread on the cake.  Put chocolate chips on top.  Spread the rest of the cake mixture over all.  Bake 18 more minutes.
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

YoopreMama

Hedy--The cakes are on a plate now...the bottom is up and seems very wet.  Is this normal?   ???

Oh, NOOO!!  I'm on a diet, and all these look SO tempting.  I will be strong.  I will not make these desserts.  But I will share with you.  ;)  You can enjoy them in my name!  :D
*Sigh*  I never make these anymore, because of family food allergies.  But I used to make them for gifts and potlucks, etc.  They're always a huge hit. 

CARAMEL SQUARES
1 box German chocolate cake mix
1 c. chocolate chips
1 small can evaporated milk
3/4 stick of butter, melted
1 (14 oz.) bag of caramels, unwrapped

Mix the cake mix, 1/2 c. milk and butter.  Put half of this mixture into a greased and floured pan.  Bake 6 minutes at 350.  Melt caramels in a saucepan; add remaining milk and spread on the cake.  Put chocolate chips on top.  Spread the rest of the cake mixture over all.  Bake 18 more minutes.
thus_I_fight--
That's OK, I'm not "enjoying" these either.  Well, I'll test the cake and pie, of course.  ;)  My first chocolate in a long time.

Those Caramel Bars are our "Elsie's cookies"!!!!!!!!!!!!  We LOVE them, and really make them only at Christmas...

Off to make pie...and add it to the cookbook.  ;D  Every recipe of Floydian's I've tried is fabulous, and she is the Queen of Desserts, IMHO.  :-*

YoopreMama

Oh my.  Oh me, oh my.   :o 

Those 2 desserts were fantastic!  I took a pix of the pie before the whipped cream, but forgot to take one of the "cake" (more like a torte or cheesecake).  EVERYONE loved them, especially this anti-yeast-jumper-off-the-band-wagon.   ::)

The cake turned out so fudge-y...I sprinkled powdered sugar over the one for guests and left the kiddos' plain.  Mmmm....so dense and moist and chocolate-y!

The pie was heavenly.  Pecans were the best in the crust...esp. w/ brown sugar.  It was SO easy!

Thanks again, you 2!   :-*
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:48:47 PM by Yooper »

Offline BettaGurl3

• I used to be BettaGurl3
  • Master
  • I LOVE HORSES!
You are making me hungry!! ;) I have my own personal fav chocolate chip cookie recipe :        Mrs' Fields' Cookies

2 c. butter                                        1 tsp. salt     
    2 c. white/cane crystals sugar                2 tsp. baking powder
    2 c. brown sugar/sucanat                       2 tsp. baking soda
         4 eggs                                         24oz. chocolate chips
       2 tsp. vanilla                                3 c. chopped nuts (optional)
        4 c. flour
      5 c. regular oatmeal (blend to powder)

Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, vanilla. Mix dry ingredients and put into dough. Mix well.Add chocolate chips and nuts. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets. Make large cookies and place them 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 for 8-10 min. Yields 112 cookies.    Enjoy! These are really good cookies!! ;D :o DELICIOUS!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 03:16:44 PM by bettagurl3 »

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
   Chocolate syrup

Did the dump job on this, but here's the general idea:

Combine in sauce pan,

1 1/2 c. cocoa
1 1/2 c. water
2 c. fructose (can use sugar instead)
1/8 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon

Bring to a slow boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Take off heat and stir in:

2 T. unsalted butter
1/2 c. raw whole milk

Stir until butter is melted. Let cool for a couple hours (use on ice cream or to make chocolate milk now, if you want) and store in a squirt (large syrup) bottle. Shake before using.

This is absolutely yummy! I searched long and hard online for a recipe that didn't just ask for plain ol' cocoa powder, sugar, water and salt. I wanted something "above alll else" :D. Not coming up with anything exactly what I wanted, I just dumped and hoped for the best. It worked, and now I am really having a hard time resisting chocolate milk every time I open the 'fridge  ::)  :D. All the recipes called for some vanilla, which I didn't have on hand. I think that that would be a great addition, if you can add it. You can also use condensed milk if you want instead of the raw milk. I think the syrup would last longer.  I also wonder if raw cream would work too to make it yummier... :)

PS...CrimsonRose, I love your profile picture!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
We make really yummy chocolate syrup by mixing honey, cocoa, salt, vanilla, and water. It doesn't take much water, because the honey is liquid already. So don't add the water 'til the rest is already mixed together. And when you are mixing it, it always looks like the honey and cocoa are just not going to combine. And then poof! it comes together.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
We make really yummy chocolate syrup by mixing honey, cocoa, salt, vanilla, and water. It doesn't take much water, because the honey is liquid already. So don't add the water 'til the rest is already mixed together. And when you are mixing it, it always looks like the honey and cocoa are just not going to combine. And then poof! it comes together.

WR

That happened to mine too...the cocoa powder acted like marshmellows where it stuck to the top, but it did combine, just not right away, so yeah, if you're going to try using cocoa, hang in there! :)

I also wanted to mention that the syrup thickens up in cold. I found that out this morning. If you like thinner cold syrup, just add more water when it is warm, or keep the syrup out for a half hour or so to warm it up a bit. Mine turned out really thick...it comes out, but barely. No one seems to mind, but I think next time I'll add more water. JM2cents.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
This is the recipe that I was talking about in the favorite cookbooks thread.  It's so yummy, and very  close to the flourless chocolate cake on this tread I think.  It's heavenly with vanilla bean or coffee ice cream. ;)  The cookbook states the this tastes SO good because the cake is baked quickly, and the scent/flavor of the chocolate does not evaporate out during the cooking time.  Soooo yummy, and perfect for a true chocolate lover on Valentines. 

I'm giving two alternates: a whole cake, or 8 individual ramekins.  You can make this up to 8 hours ahead, and there's also a tip for re-heating a pre-baked cake at the bottom.  Enjoy!

Fallen Chocolate Cake

8 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped 
 1 stick unsalted butter
 4 large eggs
 1 large egg yolk
 1 tsp. vanilla 
 2T flour  (edited to remove cup from the flour measurement...it's only 2 Tablespoons of flour)
 1/4 tsp. salt
 1/2 cup sugar 

Set oven rack to middle position, and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter and flour (or sub cocoa powder for flour) an 8-9 inch springform pan w/ removable bottom. 

Alternately, for individual cakes, increase oven temp to 400 degrees and flour eight six ounce ramekins.  Arrange them on a baking sheet, ready to go into the oven once filled.

In a small saucepan over low heat, or using a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter until smooth. .

In a standing mixer, beat eggs, yolk, salt, vanilla, and sugar on high speed with a whisk attachment until almost tripled in volume.  Mixture will be very light and smoothly drop in a thick stream from the whisk.  This takes approx 5 min with a good stand mixer, or 10 min. with a handheld electric mixer. Pour egg mixture over chocolate mixture and then sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture.  Gently fold to combine, until uniform in color. Transfer batter to prepared pan(s) with a ladel or by pouring. 

Make ahead note: At this point, you may cover them with plastic and refrigerate for up to 8 hours, allowing to sit out for 30 min. before baking.

For a whole cake: bake at 375 22-25 min for a 9" pan, or 27-30 min. for an 8" pan.  To serve warm cool for 15 min.  To serve at room temp, you may allow it to cool for up to 2 hours.  Run a knife around outside edge of cake before removing ring.  Garnish with a sieve of powdered sugar or cocoa powder if desired.

For individual ramekins, bake until cakes have risen about 1/2 inch above the cups, and have a thin crust on top, and jiggle slightly in the middle when gently shaken.  This will be about 12-13 min. at 400.  Run a paring knife around the edges to loosen and turn out onto serving plates.  Allow to sit for a minute, and remove ramekins.  Baking time is key, so don't let them cook for too long, or you'll loose the fudgieness.

This blogger gives a slightly different recipe for a 10 inch pan, and double the volume of batter.  There are some helpful reheating tips on this webpage.  http://www.culinate.com/recipes/collections/Contributors/Meera+S.T.+Vargo/Desserts/Fallen+Chocolate+Cake
This cake can be made a day in advance. Allow cake to cool to room temperature with ring still attached, then wrap in plastic wrap and then foil. Prior to serving, unwrap cake and heat in a preheated 300-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until warm. Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting around outside of pan and removing ring.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:10:56 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
-
Twinkies Homemade  (OK, if you're going to make me read this thread, I will add something else that is irresistible.  DH loves Twinkies, so this is at least a bettter alternative!
INGREDIENTS
1. 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix  - butter cake mix is great!
2. 1 cup milk
3. 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4. 1 cup white sugar
5. 1/2 teaspoon salt
6. 1/2 cup shortening
7. 1/2 cup butter, softened
8. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
9. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan (or 2 cookie sheet cake pans, or 9” cake pans). Line the bottom of pan with parchment paper. Prepare the cake mix according to directions on package. After baking, let cool completely. While cake is cooling, prepare the filling.
10. To Make The Filling: In a small saucepan over medium low heat, combine flour and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat and cool completely.
11. In a small bowl, beat flour and milk mixture until fluffy. Add sugar and salt and beat well. Add shortening and beat well. Add butter and beat well. Add vanilla and incorporate thoroughly. Total mixing time should be 8 to 10 minutes, beating very well with each addition. This creates a light and fluffy filling.
12. Remove cake from pan and split lengthwise. Spread filling over layer and replace top layer. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Let cake stand at least one day to develop flavor – it really comes alive!

Offline blackbird

• Adept
I am going to try making the twinkie cake for a valentine's party/dinner that our 4h group is hosting.  Sounds soooo good. 
Oldest son to recently unemployed grandma, "You don't need another job, Grandma.  You already have a job being old." (This was a couple days before her 49th b-day).  Boys.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
  Enjoy!The butter cake tasted great, and the filling was wonderful!  I've had to resist making the filling by itself just to eat - the cake disappeared way too rapidly for a family of 4!

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
Dog Biscuit Treats:

--2 tubes crescent rolls (8oz each) (can use homemade bread dough, but this is a richer dough)
--1/3 c. or so softened butter or lard
--1/2 c. or so cinnamon sugar mixture (I like 1/4 c. sugar, 2t. cinnamon, and 2T. brown sugar)
--3 babe ruth candy bars, or snickers or butterfingers, or around 2c. chopped sticky roughly chopped chocolate stuff

Roll out dough in two rectangles. Press seams together. On the two rectangles, spread out fat, sugar, and chopped candy. Roll up like cinnamon rolls, cut (I found this to be a bit tricky with the candy inside, but just stick the candy right back in the roll if it falls out) into around 8 rolls, and place on lightly greased pie plates. Bake @ 375 for around 12-15 minutes or until golden. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, and invert onto plate.

These are very gooey, very yummy, and very addictive.  ;D

Offline tkmuskrat

• Learning
    • www.xanga.com/tkmuskrat
Dog Biscuit Treats:

--2 tubes crescent rolls (8oz each) (can use homemade bread dough, but this is a richer dough)
--1/3 c. or so softened butter or lard
--1/2 c. or so cinnamon sugar mixture (I like 1/4 c. sugar, 2t. cinnamon, and 2T. brown sugar)
--3 babe ruth candy bars, or snickers or butterfingers, or around 2c. chopped sticky roughly chopped chocolate stuff

Roll out dough in two rectangles. Press seams together. On the two rectangles, spread out fat, sugar, and chopped candy. Roll up like cinnamon rolls, cut (I found this to be a bit tricky with the candy inside, but just stick the candy right back in the roll if it falls out) into around 8 rolls, and place on lightly greased pie plates. Bake @ 375 for around 12-15 minutes or until golden. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, and invert onto plate.

These are very gooey, very yummy, and very addictive.  ;D

we make something similar with the crescent rolls and cinnamon sugar topping, we put a cream cheese and sugar mixture in between 2 layers of crescent rolls....yum
Kristie M.

wife to Al, SAHM of 5

Offline blackbird

• Adept
  Enjoy!The butter cake tasted great, and the filling was wonderful!  I've had to resist making the filling by itself just to eat - the cake disappeared way too rapidly for a family of 4!

Was I supposed to use powdwered sugar?  Because it came out kind of grainy with just regular white sugar (maybe I did something else wrong).  It will have to do as the party is tonight and it had to refridgerate and all, but I would like to know for next time .  Thanks. ;)  Oh and a tip for anyone else trying to cut the cake:  floss is great.
Oldest son to recently unemployed grandma, "You don't need another job, Grandma.  You already have a job being old." (This was a couple days before her 49th b-day).  Boys.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
I'm sorry it didn't turn out the best!  I've only made it once, but it turned out smooth.  I mixed the filling in my Bosch mixer, and it was smooth and creamy.  I just used regular granulated sugar.  The only thing I can think of is to mix it more.  If it happens to me this next time, I will let you know.  I've decided to make a red velvet cake for Valentine's Day and put the cream filling in that.  (I am having trouble with typing replies, and I can't see what I type in the reply box or make any corrections.  So, if there are typos here, I apologize.  I don't know why this does this now.  I never used to have any problems.)