Author Topic: Caution: Rich dessert recipes contained in this thread. Open at your own risk.  (Read 75769 times)

Offline Pennie

• Master
I got this recipe out of an Amish book and I made it for my family.  It smelled really good.  I didn't get to try it b/c I am cleansing but my husband said it was good. 

CARAMEL DUMPLINGS

Ingredients for syrup
2 cups boiling water
2 tblsp butter
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar

ingredients for dough
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla
2 tsp butter
1/4 tsp salt

Mix ingredients fo syrup in large kettle and let it come to slow boil.  Mix dough ingredients until thoroughly blended.  Drop by spoonfuls into boiling syrup.  Cook 20 minutes, covered.  Keep the syrup boiling slowly, so it doesn't cook away.  Do not remove the lid while it is cooking.  Serve warm with vanilla icecream.

I did have a touch of burn right in the middle where the flame was so if you have a gas stove you really want to keep it low. 

Offline floydian

• Master
This is from the Food Network by Paula Deen:

I was looking for a pumpkin pie recipe yesterday because I finally got around to cooking my pumpkins I used as decorations this fall.  I found this one by Paula Deen, and it is the best pumpkin pie I have ever eaten.

I used a bought pie shell and heated it for 10 minutes in the oven, then followed the rest of the directions. 

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups canned pumpkin, mashed
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
1 piece pre-made pie dough
Whipped cream, for topping

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place 1 piece of pre-made pie dough down into a (9-inch) pie pan and press down along the bottom and all sides. Pinch and crimp the edges together to make a pretty pattern. Put the pie shell back into the freezer for 1 hour to firm up. Fit a piece of aluminum foil to cover the inside of the shell completely. Fill the shell up to the edges with pie weights or dried beans (about 2 pounds) and place it in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the foil and pie weights and bake for another 10 minutes or until the crust is dried out and beginning to color.

For the filling, in a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the sugar and salt, and beat until combined. Add the eggs mixed with the yolks, half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger, if using, and beat until incorporated.

Pour the filling into the warm prepared pie crust and bake for 50 minutes, or until the center is set. Place the pie on a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Cut into slices and top each piece with a generous amount of whipped cream.

And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline hedy

• Adept
I posted this somewhere else on another thread, but thought maybe it belonged here as well.  :)  This is a great one for company, as it's pretty easy to make and yet very impressive. Another one of those "almost healthy" desserts.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

1-1/2 bags semisweet chocolate chips
10 Tbsp butter
5 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8 or 9-in round layer pan and line the bottom with wax or parchment paper. Melt chocolate and butter together over low heat and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolks. In large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff and blend in sugar. Fold in chocolate mixture. Spread in pan. Place in larger pan enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of cake pan. Bake 35 minutes, then cool completely before unmolding. Serve in small wedges with powdered sugar, whipped cream, or berries. Refrigerate leftovers.

Offline floydian

• Master
I posted this somewhere else on another thread, but thought maybe it belonged here as well.  :)  This is a great one for company, as it's pretty easy to make and yet very impressive. Another one of those "almost healthy" desserts.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

10 Tbsp butter
5 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbsp sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8 or 9-in round layer pan and line the bottom with wax or parchment paper. Melt chocolate and butter together over low heat and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolks. In large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff and blend in sugar. Fold in chocolate mixture. Spread in pan. Place in larger pan enough hot water to reach halfway up the sides of cake pan. Bake 35 minutes, then cool completely before unmolding. Serve in small wedges with powdered sugar, whipped cream, or berries. Refrigerate leftovers.

Thanks for posting this!
I've been wanting a recipe for this for awhile and have tried several, but none of them turn out the way I want.
What's the consistency of this like?
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline hedy

• Adept

Thanks for posting this!
I've been wanting a recipe for this for awhile and have tried several, but none of them turn out the way I want.
What's the consistency of this like?

I would say similar to fudge, but less dense. I think maybe I cut this with floss. My favorite way to serve it is to zig-zag some chocolate syrup on the plate, place a tiny wedge on top and add a dollop of whipped cream and a few raspberries, a la fancy restaurant.

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
+Peppermint Dessert+
8-10 regular size candy canes
1c heavy whipping cream
2c minature marshmallows

Crush the candy canes. Whip the cream. Fold candy and marshmallows into the whipped cream.  Chill, and serve.

VERY rich, and very seasonal, but smooth in flavor!  One of my late grandfather's favorites.  Nothing healthy about this one! A small spoonfull after dinner is plenty to satisfy a need for sweets, but you'll find yourself having yet another spoonfull.

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
  Here's another peppermint dessert going all against the "rules" of this forum. We made it to pass around in the neighborhood, but we ate at least 1/4th of it :D

My Favorite Popcorn Balls

Ingredients:

>3/4 cup light corn syrup
>1/4 cup butter
>2 teaspoons water
>2 5/8 cup confectioners' sugar
>1 cup miniature marshmallows
>5 quarts plain popcorn, popped
>6 candy canes, or two dozen peppermints, roughly crushed
>2 cups dry roasted peanuts, shelled
>Green and red clear sugar sprinkles, optional (use your own judgement as to how much to use. I used about 1 teaspoon of each)
>extra butter for your hands

Directions:

Place popcorn in two large bowls (I use our roaster pan). Save the fine crumbs from the candy, then sprinkle remaining crushed peppermint, nuts, and sprinkles evenly over top.

In a large saucepan, combine corn syrup, butter, confectioners' sugar, marshmallows and the 1/8th of the candy mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Pour bubbly mixture in equal portions over the two bowls of popcorn. Let cool a bit, then butter your hands and carefully mix popcorn with sugar mixture until everything is coated. Butter hands again, then form a ball. Continue buttering hands and forming balls until the popcorn mixture is gone. Wrap balls in plastic wrap or put in ziplock bags. Store at room temperature.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
Anyone have a good recipe for peppermint cheesecake? I had a recipe I'd copied down somewhere, but... can't find it now... ::)  I wanted to make one for Christmas.

Offline SarahK

• Master
Anyone have a good recipe for peppermint cheesecake? I had a recipe I'd copied down somewhere, but... can't find it now... ::)  I wanted to make one for Christmas.

I don't have one that is specifically "peppermint, but I would start with this:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,11987.msg111022.html#msg111022

Then I would adapt to what I wanted.  Probably subbing some white crumbly cookie for the graham cracker would be appealing - like leftover spritz cookies or sugar cookies.   Then I would take that hammer you were using on cardamon seeds and attack some candy canes.  Put half of the batter in the pan, then a generous sprinkling of crushed cane, cover with remaining batter.  You could sprinkle more candy on top if you want.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Jemima

• Adept
Mmm, that sounds good.  Maybe I'll have to do some experimenting...

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
I was thinking that maybe using some peppermint flavoring in a regular recipe with the cream cheese mixture before pouring it into the pan might do it???

Like this:

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Premium/Food/2004/12-Dec/Buffet1204/Buffet1204cheescake.html

or this:

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/christmas/r/mintcheesecake.htm

or this:

http://www.ichef.com/recipe.cfm/smocid/15/recipe/Peppermint%20Cheesecake/category/Cheesecakes/itemid/71813/task/display/recipeid/71476/recipecategoryid/42

Change/modify for your own use of course, if you want ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:28:11 PM by naturalgirl »

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
Almond Joy Drops:
1-14 oz bag of Coconut
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 stick butter, soft
2 lbs powdered sugar
2 cups chopped pecans
Mix well and make into bite size balls. Freeze on cookie sheet.

Melt chocolate almond bark and dip balls into the chocolate. Let them set on wax paper until chocolate is set good.

Very rich...

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Almond Joy Drops:

Oh, I am SO making these!  They sound wonderful.  ;)

YoopreMama

Almond Joy Drops:...
Oh, I am SO making these!  They sound wonderful.  ;)
I'll race you!  ;D

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
The guys won't give you a chance...

Hide 'em! :D

Offline Chadycake

• Adept
Hi, I hope it's ok to post a question here... it's regarding a rich dessert!

I told hubby I'd make almond roca for his employees for Christmas. I tried a trial batch last week with whole macadamia nuts & it was DELICIOUS!   ;D  But the nuts were too big & intrusive in the middle of the yummy roca. ::)  So yesterday I made a batch with macadamias & a batch with almonds.  I put the nuts thru the cuisinart this time.  It totally flopped!  ??? :-[ ??? The roca is chewy instead of crunchy & kinda disolves in your mouth into sugar crystals.  Gross.  :P :P

So is anyone an experienced candy maker?  Any ideas on what went wrong?

Oh, and hubby needs to bring this to work tomorrow.   :o  :-\ I'm just a little panicked.  Can anyone help? 

Here's the recipe:

1 cup almonds or pecans, chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 ounces chocolate chips (semi-sweet) 

Directions
Toffee: butter square pan, 9x9x2 inches. Spread chopped nuts in pan.

Heat sugar and butter to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil over
medium heat, stirring constantly, 7 minutes (watch it very closely the last minute or two). Immediately spread mixture evenly over nuts in pan. Sprinkle chocolate pieces over hot mixture; place a baking sheet
over pan so contained heat will melt chocolate. Spread melted
chocolate over canndy.

While hot, cut into 1 1/2 inch squares. chill
until firm.

Thanks in advance!
 :) ~W
"Daddy, when we die, will we have eyes... so we can see God?" -Caleb, age 4

I'm blogging recipes and natural health info at http://concoctionsandwhatnot.blogspot.com/

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
Almond Joy Drops:
1-14 oz bag of Coconut
1 stick butter, soft
2 lbs powdered sugar
2 cups chopped pecans

Melt chocolate almond bark and dip balls into the chocolate. Let them set on wax paper until chocolate is set good.

Very rich...

These sound just like something my mom makes and they are GOOD!! Only difference, her's also have chopped up marchino (sp?) cherries in them. But these are amazing!  :)
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
  :) Found this on the net:

CANDY CANE CHEESECAKE   

1 1/3 c. chocolate cookie crumbs
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
3 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese
2 tbsp. butter, softened
2/3 c. crushed peppermint candy
Sweetened whipped cream (1/2 of recipe)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine first 3 ingredients and press into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan; set aside. In blender, blend sour cream, 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, flour, and extracts until smooth. Add cream cheese and 2 tablespoons butter, blending until completely smooth. Stir in crushed candy.
Pour into crust. Bake on lowest rack of oven for 50-60 minutes or until firm. Allow to cool (cheesecake may crack while cooling), refrigerate overnight.

To serve, use knife to loosen sides of cheesecake from pan; remove springform. Spread top of cheesecake with sweetened whipped cream. Garnish with round candy cane. Serves 10.

SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM:

1 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Serves 4.

Offline Lauralee

• Adept

Flourless Chocolate Cake

10 Tbsp butter
5 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbsp sugar

I want to make this for Christmas. If I make this on Chirstmas Eve should I refrigerate it? Then do I bring it back to room temp before serving?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Hi, I hope it's ok to post a question here... it's regarding a rich dessert!

I told hubby I'd make almond roca for his employees for Christmas. I tried a trial batch last week with whole macadamia nuts & it was DELICIOUS!   ;D  But the nuts were too big & intrusive in the middle of the yummy roca. ::)  So yesterday I made a batch with macadamias & a batch with almonds.  I put the nuts thru the cuisinart this time.  It totally flopped!  ??? :-[ ??? The roca is chewy instead of crunchy & kinda disolves in your mouth into sugar crystals.  Gross.  :P :P

So is anyone an experienced candy maker?  Any ideas on what went wrong?

Oh, and hubby needs to bring this to work tomorrow.   :o  :-\ I'm just a little panicked.  Can anyone help? 

Here's the recipe:

1 cup almonds or pecans, chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 ounces chocolate chips (semi-sweet) 

Directions
Toffee: butter square pan, 9x9x2 inches. Spread chopped nuts in pan.

Heat sugar and butter to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil over
medium heat, stirring constantly, 7 minutes (watch it very closely the last minute or two). Immediately spread mixture evenly over nuts in pan. Sprinkle chocolate pieces over hot mixture; place a baking sheet
over pan so contained heat will melt chocolate. Spread melted
chocolate over canndy.

While hot, cut into 1 1/2 inch squares. chill
until firm.

Thanks in advance!
 :) ~W
My guess is you didn't get it hot enough.  When making candy, it's important to reach the right temp to get the right amount of hardness from the final product.  I believe crunchy candy should be cooked to the "hard crack" stage.  Check this website for details.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/sugar-stages.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hedy

• Adept

Flourless Chocolate Cake

10 Tbsp butter
5 eggs, separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbsp sugar

I want to make this for Christmas. If I make this on Chirstmas Eve should I refrigerate it? Then do I bring it back to room temp before serving?

That sounds right to me!

YoopreMama

Almond Joy Drops:
1-14 oz bag of Coconut
1 stick butter, soft
2 lbs powdered sugar
2 cups chopped pecans

Very rich...
OK, I made these...whoa!  :o  Rich, indeed...a few comments... ;)

--I just couldn't put in the full 2 pounds of powdered sugar w/ a clear conscience.  ::) I used about 3/4 of the bag, and that was pushing it--they were SO sweet!

--I ended up w/ 12 dozen, bite sized drops...

--I used a toothpick to dip, but the whites are peeking.  Any tips on getting them fully covered or should they look this way?  Love how almond bark melts, covers and cooks so quickly!  I'm using that on strawberries next time.

--For storage:  they're keeping "cool" in our garage.  Can they be frozen?  I have to give these away QUICKLY!!!   ;D

--One package of almond bark just barely covered 144 drops...that's including the fact that they were not totally immersed.  They look like little white people w/ brown helmets.  :D

Thanks again, lewisquiverfull!   :-*

HinOH--you make yours yet? 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 03:47:39 PM by Yooper »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.

No, not yet.  Kinda waiting for the okay from my tests.  Didn't want to make these and put my gall bladder in shock.  I know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to eat just one.  ::) ;D

Offline CountyCork

• Master
Question about those almond joy drops:
Wouldn't they have almonds in them, not chopped pecans?
Literal girl here.
HIO - hope you can eat them soon, along with all other things that make life worth living on this earth!

YoopreMama

No, not yet.  Kinda waiting for the okay from my tests.  Didn't want to make these and put my gall bladder in shock.  I know for a fact that I wouldn't be able to eat just one.  ::) ;D
I was thinking that might be the case.  :(  Feel better soon and get a clean bill of health--they're yummy!   :-*
Question about those almond joy drops:
Wouldn't they have almonds in them, not chopped pecans?
Literal girl here...
LOL!  We were thinking the same thing.   :D

Offline kamom

• Adept
This turned out so yummy, I had to share the recipe:
 Fantastic Orange Date Cake

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 whole oranges, chopped
1 1/2 cups dates  ( cook dates with a little water until soft) or chop
3 cups flour (I used fresh ground wheat)
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1/2 tsp vinegar
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp b soda, mixed into 1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Cream first four ingr. Add eggs beating after each one, slowly mix in all
the rest leaving the baking soda water for last. Bake at 300 for 45 min.
 Add one whole chopped orange to you icing. Enjoy.............

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
1 can (1.5 cups) tart cherries in water drained
1 T butter softened
2 T flour
1 T crushed flax seed
1/2 cup sugar
6-8 egg roll wrappers (large size)

Cream sugar, flour, flax & butter together until resembles course crumbs.  Pour cherries into mixuture and fold in with a spoon (no mixer or you'll shred the cherries).  Spoon mixture (about 1.5-2 T) into egg roll wrappers.  Roll up like an envelope, wet top edge and seal.  Fry in deep fryer for 5-7 minutes at 400o.  Remove from grease, drain and sprinkle with sugar.  Cool & eat.

These taste alot like the old style (about 20 years ago) cherry pies from McDonalds.

It also works with apple pie filling of your choice.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:54:31 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Oo! Oo! Oo! I LOVED those old McDonald's pies. Hated when they changed the recipe! I can not believe I never thought about trying to make them myself.
Thanks HB!
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
 Oh , you have to try my dh's dessert with those egg roll wrappers! Slice bananas on a cookie sheet, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with rapadura. Broil just til bubbly. Fill wrapper with bananas, fold and fry in coconut oil or lard. Place on plate, put a big dollop of homemade whipped cream beside it, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. Come to mama!!!!!!!!
 Sometimes he also puts a thin layer of cream cheese on the inside of the wrapper. Ohhhhh, how i love my man.  ;D

burlsgirl

Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 c. All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
2 Sticks butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1 3.4 oz. box of Vanilla Pudding
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c. semi-sweet choc. chips

Sift flour & soda. Cream butter w/ sugar & vanilla pudding mix. Add eggs & vanilla, then add all to flour mixture. Stir in choc. chips.

Believe it or not, I can't remember what temp the recipe called for, but I usually just do 350 till they're barely done. We like 'em gooey! I take them out just as they're turning brown around the edges.

These are the best!! I think dh is due a batch!

Enjoy,
Em