Author Topic: Caution: Rich dessert recipes contained in this thread. Open at your own risk.  (Read 75771 times)

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
Okay, I'm starting this thread in Purewellspring's honor. Get ready for some exercise! (you'll have to workout after eating some of these pies  ;) )

Here's two for now...

Butterscotch Pecan Pie

1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
3 T. flour
1 T. butter
2 c. milk (half & half or buttermilk is even better)
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped pecans (use more if you like)

Mix sugar, egg yolks, flour, butter, and milk over a slow burner until thick, stirring constantly. Add pecans and vanilla. Pour into a baked pie crust. Top with meringue (I like a four egg white meringue). Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.

I forgot to add: this recipe is from a friend of my family's in Texas.

Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter (no substitutes), softened
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. powdered sugar
2 T. brown sugar
3/4 c. mini chocolate chips
3/4 c. chopped pecans

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add sugars; beat just until combined. Stir in chips. Cover and chill for 2 hours. Place cream cheese mixture on large piece of plastic wrap; shape into a ball. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Just before serving, roll cheeseball in pecans. Serve with graham crackers.
Yield: 1 cheese ball (~ 2 cups)

And this recipe came from an old issue of Quick Cooking.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:20:28 AM by CrimsonRose »

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
Are we allowed to post pics of our rich desserts?  That's where the "caution" would kick in for me.  :)

I'll have to go dig through my recipes and see what I can come up with.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
I make the Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball every Christmas and take it to the family dinner and any Christmas parties. I also made it for my own baby shower (per request) LOL! It is always a hit!
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
I haven't tried this but it looked too good not to put it in my recipe folder. LOL!
WR

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake with Baby Ruth Frosting

1 package (18.25 oz.) chocolate cake mix
1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 (2.1 oz ea) NESTLÉ® BABY RUTH® Candy Bars, chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
2 large egg yolks

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Lightly grease and flour 13 x 9-inch baking pan.

PREPARE cake mix batter according to package directions, adding peanut butter before mixing. Pour into prepared pan.

BAKE for 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

PLACE chopped Baby Ruth and butter in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until Baby Ruth is melted. Combine evaporated milk, sugar, coconut, peanuts and egg yolks in medium bowl. Add to Baby Ruth mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until thickened. Cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes; stir.

FROST cake with Baby Ruth frosting. Refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Hot Fudge Cake

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cups sugar
6 Tablespoons baking cocoa
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 Tablespoons melted butter or margarine
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
3 cups boiling water

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and baking cocoa in large mixer bowl. In a separate bowl, combine milk, vanilla, and melted butter or margarine. Add to dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. Add chopped walnuts. Spread in a greased 9 x 13-inch pan.

Mix brown sugar and cocoa in a bowl. Sprinkle over batter in pan. Pour boiling water over entire cake. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Do not turn cake out of pan; this cake makes its own fudge sauce in the bottom. Cut and serve while warm, scooping up the fudge sauce as you serve. Wonderful with vanilla ice cream.
Who Needs God?

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
WR,

Can I come over for afternoon tea?  :)I only have 4 pretty girls. ::)

Em

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
This is one of our favorite recipes. Very hot fudgy.MMMMMMMMM!!!!!
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

SagorFamily1611

MMMM I need to dig out my recipes too, I have some I am "famous" for.  8)

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
Oreo Truffles

1 Whole Pckg Oreo Cookies
8 oz cream cheese, softened
White Almond Bark

Crush cookies in blender a few at a time until finely ground.  Mix softened cream cheese into cookies until moist.  Roll into balls and freeze on a cookie sheet for at least 2 hours.  Dip into melted almond bark and set on wax paper until almond bark hardens.

YUM...ADDICTING!!!!!
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline floydian

• Master
This thread is so totally unfair it's just not funny.  I am trying to lose weight for a wedding and yall post this tread.  I have lost almost ten  pounds so far.  Ohhhhhhh WHY did I open this thread.  I am so weak.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline SarahK

• Master
Basic Cheesecake

2.75 oz (5-6 big rectangles) graham crackers
2 Tb sugar
2 Tb melted butter

Crush crackersl very fine & mix with sugar/butter.  Press in lightly oiled 9 in springform pan.

Process in food processor:  3 Lg eggs & 1.5 C sugar til smooth.  Set aside.

Process:  1/2 of 2.5 lbs of softened cream cheese til smooth. (There will be 5 8oz packages of cr. cheese all together.)  Add 1/2 of egg mixture and blend.  Remove and repeat with remaining cheese and egg mix.  Combine the half-batches.

Pour into pand and place on baking sheet in preheated oven.  Bake til raised and firm on edges, soft in center... about 60 min at 350 deg.  Cool completely on wire rack and refrige overnight.  Remove from pan the next day.
- - - - -

That's a food processor specific recipe, but I am sure it is doable with a hand mixer.  Makes a soft center cheesecake (HB won't care for it as much). 

I adapt this All The Time:

Brown sugar and ground pecans in crust, fill half pan with cheese mix then drizzle caramel sauce and pecans over that & cover with remaining cheesecake mixture.  OR mix about 2 Tb of cocoa in the 2nd half of the cheese mixture before coverin the pecan/caramel.  Call that 2nd one a Turtle Cheesecake.

Canned, pitted cherries between the layers and make one or both chocolate give you Black forest.

Oreo crumbs instead of graham cracker is a chocolate crust.

Marble cake type swirls are pretty/impressive.

This is the easiest ~WOW~ cake I have.  I get requests for it all the time from the folks The Man works with.  They like to vote of the 'mix -ins' and then I work them in as I can either as sprinkled toppings or into the batter.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Caution: Rich dessert recipes contained in this thread. Open at your own ris
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 10:50:02 AM »
I posted this recipe in another thread.  It is rich, but if you follow the scratch recipe, it's also about as healthy as a dessert can get.  ;)

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,456.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline strawberrypeach

• Adept
Oreo Truffles

1 Whole Pckg Oreo Cookies
8 oz cream cheese, softened
White Almond Bark

Crush cookies in blender a few at a time until finely ground.  Mix softened cream cheese into cookies until moist.  Roll into balls and freeze on a cookie sheet for at least 2 hours.  Dip into melted almond bark and set on wax paper until almond bark hardens.

YUM...ADDICTING!!!!!
I have seen this recipe in other places before and had forgotten about it. I think now I need to print this one off and go try making some.....soon! :D
Zephaniah 3:17

Offline strawberrypeach

• Adept
Pecan Pie Squares

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 teaspoon salt
Filling (below)

Heat oven to 350. Grease jellyroll pan.  Beat flour, sugar, butter, and salt in a large bowl on medium speed until crumbly (mixtuure will be dry). Press firmly in pan. Bake until light golden brown, about 20 minutes. Prepare Filling. Pour over baked layer; spread evenly. Bake until Filling is set, about 25 minutes; cool. Cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.

Filling:
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups Karo light or dark corn syrup
3 tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Mix all ingredients except pecans until well blended. Stir in pecans.

Great Pumpkin Dessert
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Vanilla icecream or whipped cream

In mixing bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Transfer to a greased 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle with dry cake mix and drizzle with butter. Top with walnuts if desired. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until done. Serve with icecream or whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
*This is good hot or cold!
Zephaniah 3:17

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Again, a recipe I haven't tried but intend to.
WR

Best Fudge Brownies

1 Cup butter
20 Ounces baker’s chocolate
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
Pinch of salt
4 eggs
1 Cup flour
vanilla to taste
1 to 1 1/2 Cups toasted pecans or walnuts

Line a 13 X 9 inch rectangle pan with foil and butter. Melt butter and sugars together over medium heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the chocolate and stir until chocolate melts. Continuing stirring until the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat. Add one egg at a time and mix well using a wooden spoon. Add vanilla. Stir in flour and salt and mix well. Stir in the pecans or walnuts and pour into prepared pan. Bake in a 350 °F for approximately 30 minutes. Do not over bake. Brownies should be set in the middle but still slightly soft. Place immediately in the freezer. When cold, remove and cut into bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in the freezer.
Who Needs God?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Mandarin Orange Cake

1 box Pillsbury Moist Supreme Golden Butter Recipe cake mix*
1/3 cup softened butter*
3 eggs*
1 can (11 oz) Mandarin oranges (undrained)

Mix all ingredients. Bake according to package directions. Cool completely before frosting.

*I just follow the recipe on the back of the box and it calls for the butter and eggs that I have listed. It also called for water (1 cup, I think), but you substitute the undrained oranges for the water. So if you can't find this cake mix just look for one that calls for about a cup of liquid and follow that recipe but use the undrained oranges instead of the liquid.

Frosting:
1 medium tub of Cool Whip
1 large box of vanilla pudding mix
1 can crushed pineapple

In a large bowl, stir together pineapple and dry pudding mix, let stand for a few minutes until juice is thick like pudding. Fold in Cool Whip and chill until cake is ready to frost.

Store frosted cake in refrigerator.

Variation:
Coconut Cake

I made this one up one time for momma's birthday and I'm writing it down from memory; so I don't know how accurate it will be. ºÜº

Anyway, do the same thing you do with the Mandarin Orange Cake by substituting the liquid called for on the boxed mix, only this time use coconut milk/cream instead of the oranges.

Bake it in a sheet-cake pan. When it comes out of the oven poke holes in it and pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over it and let it cool completely before frosting.

For the frosting, I think I used dry coconut pudding mix (could probably use vanilla), mixed it with coconut milk and folded in the cool whip. Frost cake and sprinkle sweetened coconut flakes on top.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:18:54 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
Caramel Pie
3 T. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. water, divided
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar, divided
1/2 c. butter
1 t. vanilla
1 8 or 9 inch baked pie shell

In a bowl, dissolve the cornstarch with 3/4 c. water. Beat the egg yolks and stir them into the cornstarch mixture. Set aside.

In a heavy saucepan with high sides, cook 3/4 c. sugar over low to medium heat until it is completely melted and a golden-brown color (increase the heat if the sugar takes a long time to melt). Add the remaining 3/4 c. sugar, the butter, and the remaining 3/4 c. water. (This may create a cloud of steam, so stand back when you are adding the water!)

Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until the butter has melted and the sugar has completely dissolved.

Stir the cornstarch/egg mixture into the saucepan and bring the mixture to a low boil, stirring it constantly. Continue to boil slowly until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.

Take the mixture off the heat, stir it until smooth, and let it cool. Stir in the vanilla and pour the filling into the baked pie shell.

Top with meringue and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until the top of the meringue is delicately browned. Chill the pie before serving.

This recipe is from the Anne of Green Gables Treasury and is supposed to be like the pie that Mrs. Douglas serves to Anne in Anne of the Island. It's one of my favorites and not just because it's an Anne recipe, although that counts for a part of it, I suppose. ;)

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Caution: Rich dessert recipes contained in this thread. Open at your own ris
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 02:49:01 PM »
This is my most requested dessert around here. 

Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake

2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar(I use half)
3/4 melted butter

2 cups sugar(I use 1 1/2)
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup sour cream
3 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
4 eggs
1 TBSP vanilla

1.  Preheat oven to 350(175 Celsius for my NZ Friend)  ;D
Lightly coat a 10 in. springform pan with cooking spray.

2.  Combine the graham cracker crumbs, cocoa powder, 1 cup sugar.  Toss with melted butter, and press onto bottom and sides of spring form pan.

3.  Bring 2 cups sugar and the water to a boil in a large pot.  Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking without stirring until the mixture has turned a deep golden color, about 30-40 min.  Remove from heat, and carefully pour in the heavy cream(mixture will bubble and foam).  Return the caramel to the stove over low heat, and stir until completely liquefied.  Stir in the chocolate until melted, then stir in the sour cream. Remove from heat and set aside.

4.  Beat the cream cheese until fluffy with an electric mixer.  Add caramel mixture, and blend well, scraping the sides of the bowl.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Add the vanilla with the last egg.  Mix until well incorporated and pour into prepared pan.

5.  Place springform pan into a hot water bath(I use a turkey roasting pan and pour boiling water around the cheesecake pan).  Bake in the center oven for 1 hour and 15 min.  The cheesecake will be done with the center 3-4 in. still wobbly.  Chill before serving.
Makes 16 responsible size servings, or 12 the-only-way-to-eat-cheesecake size servings.  ;)

MUST FOLLOW DIRECTIONS EXACTLY TO GET A PERFECT CHEESECAKE!

Offline SarahK

• Master
French Silk Pie (practically healthy even)

Cream 1/2 C softened butter & 3/4 C sugar until fluffy.

Add 2 eggs, one at a time, beating at medium speed 2 minutes after each addition.  Blend in 2 oz (2 squares) melted, unsweetened chocolate & 1 t vanilla. 

Spoon into cooled baked 8 or 9 in pie shell.  Chill 2 hours.

I actually do a 1.5 batch per pie shell cuz I like the shell more full than this amount gives. 

Love this one:  No bake & High "WOW" factor...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 03:39:40 PM by SarahK »

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
Great Pumpkin Dessert
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Vanilla icecream or whipped cream

In mixing bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Transfer to a greased 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle with dry cake mix and drizzle with butter. Top with walnuts if desired. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until done. Serve with icecream or whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
*This is good hot or cold!

Yes, this is GREAT hot or cold. We call it 'Pumpkin Crunch' and it goes absolutely great with fried eggs for breakfast. Never lasts long at this house.....But, uh, we skip the ice cream for breakfast. Usually.
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline amy3js

• Master
Basic Cheesecake

2.75 oz (5-6 big rectangles) graham crackers
2 Tb sugar
2 Tb melted butter

Crush crackersl very fine & mix with sugar/butter.  Press in lightly oiled 9 in springform pan.

Process in food processor:  3 Lg eggs & 1.5 C sugar til smooth.  Set aside.

Process:  1/2 of 2.5 lbs of softened cream cheese til smooth. (There will be 5 8oz packages of cr. cheese all together.)  Add 1/2 of egg mixture and blend.  Remove and repeat with remaining cheese and egg mix.  Combine the half-batches.

Pour into pand and place on baking sheet in preheated oven.  Bake til raised and firm on edges, soft in center... about 60 min at 350 deg.  Cool completely on wire rack and refrige overnight.  Remove from pan the next day.
- - - - -

That's a food processor specific recipe, but I am sure it is doable with a hand mixer.  Makes a soft center cheesecake (HB won't care for it as much). 

I adapt this All The Time:

Brown sugar and ground pecans in crust, fill half pan with cheese mix then drizzle caramel sauce and pecans over that & cover with remaining cheesecake mixture.  OR mix about 2 Tb of cocoa in the 2nd half of the cheese mixture before coverin the pecan/caramel.  Call that 2nd one a Turtle Cheesecake.

Canned, pitted cherries between the layers and make one or both chocolate give you Black forest.

Oreo crumbs instead of graham cracker is a chocolate crust.

Marble cake type swirls are pretty/impressive.

This is the easiest ~WOW~ cake I have.  I get requests for it all the time from the folks The Man works with.  They like to vote of the 'mix -ins' and then I work them in as I can either as sprinkled toppings or into the batter.

Sarah K

Sarah (or anyone in the know  ;)) if I were to add a fruit swirl to this cheesecake, I assume I would bake it into the pie? And can I use a jam/jelly or should it be thinner than that? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I have never made cheesecake before and I am doing it for the in-laws. Eek!  :o
You get what you get, what matters is what you do with it.

Offline SarahK

• Master
Basic Cheesecake
Sarah K

Sarah (or anyone in the know  ;)) if I were to add a fruit swirl to this cheesecake, I assume I would bake it into the pie? And can I use a jam/jelly or should it be thinner than that? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I have never made cheesecake before and I am doing it for the in-laws. Eek!  :o

I would bake it right into the cheesecake layer - one of a few different ways...

Mix the jam/jelly into 1/3 of the batter and put that batter in as a middle layer.

Make a thin layer of jelly/jam in the middle that isn't mixed with the batter.  Will be gooy-er and more liquidy - might be kinda like a soft filling in a bismark type doughnut?  Should be nice.

Drizzle/blop jam/jelly on the top and swirl with a knife.  This could be the top decoration type thingy.  It could have pools of jam as well as swirls.

I personally would only thin it if I thought it was really really hard jelled.  And I would only thin it a bit.... except for that center, gooey layer effect.  Then I would thin it so I thought it might ooze just a bit but not so much it would run all out after the first piece was cut.

The cake is chilled after baking so I would guess that the consistancy of the jelly would be approximately the same in the baked cake as it is in the refrigerated jar.

Haven't tried this one - but it should work dandy.

Sarah K

Offline amy3js

• Master
Thank you! Thats exactly what I needed to know!

Offline amy3js

• Master
The cheesecake turned out great and was a big hit! Thanks SarahK and welltellme!

Offline floydian

• Master
I posted this in the easy desserts thread, but it could go here too.

Pot de Creme (pronounced "Po'h de' crem")

1 6 oz pkg of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup cream
2 eggs
2 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

Heat cream in a saucepan till almost bubbly (stirring frequently).
Put chocolate chips, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a blender, but do not blend yet.  When cream is heated, pour over items in blender.  Now blend.  Pour into fancy cups. Garnish with whipped cream.
Reply | Reply with quote | Modify | Remove

Offline floydian

• Master
Really pretty Christmasy cake:  (I don't think this is very rich, but it's very good and sooooo pretty.)

Cranberry Crumble Coffee Cake

Yields:  12 servings

¼ cup chopped almonds
1 cup sugar
½ cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups plain flour
1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 can whole berry cranberries

Topping:
¼ cup plain flour
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup chopped almonds
¼ teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter

Sprinkle almonds over the bottom of a greased 9-inch springform pan; set aside.  In a mixing bowl, cream sugar, butter and vanilla; beat on medium for 1-2 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Combine dry ingredients; add to batter alternately with sour cream.  Mix well.  Spread 3 cups of batter over almonds in pan.  Spoon cranberry sauce over batter.  Top with remaining batter.  For topping, combine flour, sugar, almonds, and vanilla; cut in butter until crumbly.  Sprinkle over batter.  Bake at 350 degrees for 70-75 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; remove sides of pan.  Serve warm. 

Offline floydian

• Master
Devine Greek Sour Cream Coffee Cake

This one is a melt-in-your-mouth wonderful coffeecake/dessert.

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream

Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla on high.  Add eggs one at a time on low until just beaten.  Add salt and baking powder to flour and mix alternately with sour cream a spoonful at a time.  Set aside.

Topping:
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 -1 cup sugar
1/2 - 1 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon

In a buttered 9 x 13 inch pan, layer 1/2 of cake mixture.  Then add 1/2 of topping, then layer the rest of the cake mixture, then the remaining topping.  Bake 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes until you poke it and it bounces back.
( I have to confess that this is a great cake even when it's a little sad.  I've done it a few times when I had to be somewhere.)

Glaze:
1 stick butter melted
1/2- 1 box powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Cream/ milk--enough to make it a little creamy

Melt butter on stovetop until bubbly.  Add powdered sugar and vanilla and milk/cream.  It should be bubbly hot. 

Pour hot glaze over cake just out of oven.  Slice the cake so that the glaze will ooze down into it.

It's great cold, but hot it is unbelievable.

This is great for a brunch or some special holiday breakfast.  (It also makes you look like a great cook when you have to bring a breakfast food somewhere.) ;D

earthymomof2

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream

Cream butter, sugar, and vanilla on high.  Add eggs one at a time on low until just beaten.  Add salt and baking powder to flour and mix alternately with sour cream a spoonful at a time.  Set aside.

Topping:
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 -1 cup sugar
1/2 - 1 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon

In a buttered 9 x 13 inch pan, layer 1/2 of cake mixture.  Then add 1/2 of topping, then layer the rest of the cake mixture, then the remaining topping.  Bake 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes until you poke it and it bounces back.
( I have to confess that this is a great cake even when it's a little sad.  I've done it a few times when I had to be somewhere.)

Glaze:
1 stick butter melted
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter on stovetop until bubbly.  Add powdered sugar and vanilla and milk/cream.  It should be bubbly hot. 

Pour hot glaze over cake just out of oven.  Slice the cake so that the glaze will ooze down into it.

This is great for a brunch or some special holiday breakfast.  (It also makes you look like a great cook when you have to bring a breakfast food somewhere.) ;D

I have a ladies tea to go to on Saturday.  Would this go nicely with tea.  It's an afternoon affair from 2-4.  What do you think?

Offline floydian

• Master

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream

Topping:
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 -1 cup sugar
1/2 - 1 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon

Glaze:
1 stick butter melted
1 tsp vanilla

I have a ladies tea to go to on Saturday.  Would this go nicely with tea.  It's an afternoon affair from 2-4.  What do you think?

It's great at any time, IMO. :D

earthymomof2

So I just made the Divine Greek Sour Cream Coffee Cake and it IS great!!  I used half spelt flour and half unbleached for the flour, and I was a little short of sour cream so I made up for it with a dollup of lowfat plain yogurt.  I also did not make the glaze (I'd feel conscience stricken if I added any more fat or sugar to the cake  :o) and it was still super moist.  I had a small piece while it was still warm and it was SOOO moist.  I'm sure it will be good tomorrow to when I have to bring it to church. 

Thanks!!!