Author Topic: Brown Rice as Breakfast Cereal?  (Read 21347 times)

Offline CountyCork

• Master
Brown Rice as Breakfast Cereal?
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:41:11 AM »
Has anyone ever made brown rice to serve as a breakfast?  We were wondering last night at dinner as my kids scarfed up buckets of it with Liquid Aminos - why couldn't we make this and serve with maple syrup, cinnamon, milk etc., like we would oatmeal???
I could cook up a bunch once a week and have it at dinner and breakfast a couple times.
As we were talking, the kids got these looks of disbelief on their faces and thought we were nuts for suggesting rice as breakfast.  So it might have to take some convincing.
My MIL makes a delicious Swedish Rice Pudding, which to me seems like dessert.  Served with some sort of fruit thing.  The Swedes just lap that stuff up!  Maybe that could be a start.
Any ideas???

YoopreMama

Re: Brown Rice as Breakfast Cereal?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:49:51 AM »
We LOVE brown rice for breakfast!   ;D  I make extra for dinner so we have plain stuff in the morning...we do as you thought...add milk, butter, cinnamon (sometimes cardamom) and sweeten w/ maple syrup or brown sugar.  YUM!  It's good w/ berries or bananas or raisins (coconut flakes, too). 

We also have it ground up (Bob's Red Mill, but sometimes I grind my own), and make it like cream of wheat...I think it tastes the same. 

Offline doddsgirl

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:59:41 AM »
personally, i would serve it warm like oatmeal. i have eaten leftover brown rice cold with milk and cinnamon and it was ok but i think it would be great warm!  go for it!

YoopreMama

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »
Oh yes!  I forgot to mention that we do indeed warm it up!  ;D

Offline Laurie

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 03:55:28 PM »
In a Jane Brody cookbook there is a recipe for Rice Pudding Cereal that is excellent.  I just use the idea and throw mine together for breakfast something like this:

4 servings of cooked rice
couple of eggs, beaten
enough milk to cover rice

Heat slowly until it's hot and thick.  Add a little vanilla when it's done.  Sometimes we add dried fruit and/or nuts.  Use a little sweetener if you like...I like maple syrup.

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 04:06:57 PM »
There is a great web site called Hillbilly house wife that has many cheap and good for you recipes. One of them is using leftover rice in the am by adding milk to cover and raisins and cinnamon. I have tried it several times and my kids love it. I would think that brown rice would be the same.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 07:49:44 PM »
Here is a link to a recipe for "Thermos Cooked Cereal." It is a blend of 5 grains and seeds that have been ground and soaked overnight. To say it is packed full of nutrients is an understatement. We used it as an introduction food for our infants. If you know of someone who is recuperating from an illness or has fragile health, this is a great way of packing a LOT of nutrients into an easily digested food.
http://www.nacd.org/more_information/health/thermos.html
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

cecac

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:38:44 AM »
Here is a link to a recipe for "Thermos Cooked Cereal." It is a blend of 5 grains and seeds that have been ground and soaked overnight. To say it is packed full of nutrients is an understatement. We used it as an introduction food for our infants. If you know of someone who is recuperating from an illness or has fragile health, this is a great way of packing a LOT of nutrients into an easily digested food.
http://www.nacd.org/more_information/health/thermos.html

SC,
Do you suppose that this might not induce as much of an insulin reaction as cooked oatmeal in the morning due to the protein content?

We like brown rice in the morning, too, although we don't get it much because of the 45 minute cook time.  I like the cook ahead idea. 

I also noticed that even though Nourishing Traditions says you don't technically have to soak brown rice, my kids do like it better after it's been soaked for a few hours in water and whey.  It's softer.

Cara

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 03:22:13 AM »
Cara, because of the soaking and the choice of grains used (organic, soaked, lower glycemic index) and the high protein content, it doesn't have the same impact on the blood sugar as some other single-grained, processed cereals. It was also nice that there we weren't dealing with the gluten from oatmeal. This cereal will also make you quite regular.  :o
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 03:24:05 AM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

cecac

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 04:54:07 AM »
Cara, because of the soaking and the choice of grains used (organic, soaked, lower glycemic index) and the high protein content, it doesn't have the same impact on the blood sugar as some other single-grained, processed cereals. It was also nice that there we weren't dealing with the gluten from oatmeal. This cereal will also make you quite regular.  :o

Thank you SC, I may give it a try if I can get all the grains together ::).  Now, about giving it to ten of us in one morning, hmmmm.......... :D I'm always looking for something yummy and wheatless. 

Offline CAndy

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 04:08:10 AM »
When we were kids we loved leftover brown rice with milk and sugar.  My kids love it too.  We also coarse grind brown rice to make rice cerial.  It only takes about 10 minutes to make that way, and it is a nice change.  We can't eat corn, so we eat rice or millet ground and call it grits when we are putting gravy on it and mush when we are putting milk on it. :)

Offline CAndy

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 09:37:17 AM »
Can't eat any corn at all, actually I can eat it, my DH can't - he drank too many 2 liters of Mt dew before we married (and for the first few years)- now he is allergic to corn and yellow 5.  He can't even be too close to the corn when it's pollinating.  We are from the NW, so grits are totally meaningless to us.  We eat pretty much whatever.  You can buy rice cereal from Bob's red mill, course they are from the NW too. 

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 09:40:04 AM »
Thanks for all the good ideas, friends.
Now, on to convincing the kiddoes that rice is GOOD with sweet for breakfast, rather than savory for dinner!
Your pal,
Jill

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 11:04:44 AM »
I posted on another thread about doing brown rice as breakfast cereal. I would type it out again to clarify it better but DH just walked in & I have to get back to packing. I jumped on the 'puter for a "minute" & was on much longer that I meant to be. Oops  ::) ::) HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

I thought that some of you might like the recipe I have for cream of brown rice cereal that is like a cream of wheat that the whole family can eat, baby included. Wash brown rice; toast till dry in dry skillet, stirring frequently, rice will smell nutty but be careful not to burn it; grind in small amounts in blender; lightly re toast in skillet to be sure it's dry. You can store it in the fridge in a glass jar to keep it fresh. To use cook like cream of wheat. Hope you like it. Blessings ~herbalmom
I personally love cream of rice from the store.  Would this be the same as white rice prepared as you posted?
Basically this is a brown rice version of the cream of rice you get at the store. IMO, the brown rice version tastes MUCH better than reg. cream of rice & is better for you. I never buy white rice so I've never tried the recipe that way. I do know if it works, it would cost less. HB, since I know that you have white rice at home why don't you try it & let us know? Wish I could be of more help. Blessings ~herbalmom
Would you still brown it?
You don't brown it when you toast br. rice, I meant toast as in cook in a dry skillet, not cook till it's the color of toast. Cooking in a dry skillet is just to dry it out; when you heat it up it smells nutty but you don't brown it. Sorry I didn't make it clear. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 06:20:02 AM »
Try adding warm tapioca pudding to leftover rice along with a little finely shredded orange peel. Yum. It is also good with freshly sliced bananas and a little coconut oil.

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 07:00:43 AM »
I had a great friend give me the "Super Baby Food" book when my youngest was born and doing poorly.

They suggest putting in the blender brown rice (1c) and blending until it is a fine powder.  Then you can store it in the fridge (we use it immediately) and use a couple of T at a time.  Bring water to a boil, and then add the brown rice.  It would take 10 min to cook, and is like the creamy brown rice cereal . 

Of course this is for a baby, but now we all eat it for breakfast. We can eat 1-2 cups in the morning, and it is one of my kids favorite breakfasts!
We like adding ground up seeds, honey, and sometimes fruit.  but my kids like the smooth and creamy taste, so they don't add fruit very often, just eat it on the side.
They really like to add pnut butter and jelly.  They say it tastes just like a warm PBJ ! :D

I was really surprised that the cooking time was cut so short!  I find this one of our healthiest meals, and I can do it quick for lunch if I am in a pinch! ;D

Its funny, my kids don't eat as much brown rice when I serve it at dinner, but this they will eat until it is gone, and then ask for more!

Kindly,
blsd2bhome

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 08:45:06 AM »
They suggest putting in the blender brown rice (1c) and blending until it is a fine powder.

Does this work well in a Food Processor?  I tried that this afternoon, and I processed it until the rice was very warm and the food processor bowl was kinda steamy.  I'm not sure how long it was, but I did a whole sink full of dishes while I was waiting.  But, the rice was not really powdery.  I kept turning it back on for longer and washing more dishes, because I assumed it would get powdery, but it just didn't seem to want to. 

I made it anyway and it has some "tooth" because of the larger pieces of rice.  Do I just need to process it longer?  It seemed like it was getting pretty warm and I always worry about overheating the thing, even though it's never happened.

Is it supposed to be that way?  Do I need a grain mill type thingy to make this?

Also, I was surprised at how "bitter" it was - Does that mean anything about my rice?  It is organic brown rice from Arkansas.  That's all I know about the rice.

I was going to eat it with no sweetener, but I did put honey in dd's because I thought it was kinda bitter.  I guess I was thinking of the blandness of cream of wheat.  But, it's not "bitter" when it's cooked up regular style for dinner.

SC, do I need a grain mill to make the "thermos cereal" in the link you posted?  Or should the food processor work ok?  Maybe other grains are softer?

Thanks for any help!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 03:58:15 AM »
Bump!  I am having trouble with even the very simplest things lately . . .

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 05:55:38 AM »
They suggest putting in the blender brown rice (1c) and blending until it is a fine powder.

Does this work well in a Food Processor?  I tried that this afternoon, and I processed it until the rice was very warm and the food processor bowl was kinda steamy.  I'm not sure how long it was, but I did a whole sink full of dishes while I was waiting.  But, the rice was not really powdery.  I kept turning it back on for longer and washing more dishes, because I assumed it would get powdery, but it just didn't seem to want to. 

I made it anyway and it has some "tooth" because of the larger pieces of rice.  Do I just need to process it longer?  It seemed like it was getting pretty warm and I always worry about overheating the thing, even though it's never happened.

Is it supposed to be that way?  Do I need a grain mill type thingy to make this?

Also, I was surprised at how "bitter" it was - Does that mean anything about my rice?  It is organic brown rice from Arkansas.  That's all I know about the rice.

I was going to eat it with no sweetener, but I did put honey in dd's because I thought it was kinda bitter.  I guess I was thinking of the blandness of cream of wheat.  But, it's not "bitter" when it's cooked up regular style for dinner.

SC, do I need a grain mill to make the "thermos cereal" in the link you posted?  Or should the food processor work ok?  Maybe other grains are softer?

Thanks for any help!

I just use my regular blender, I don't have a food processor, or use a grain mill for this.  Some of the rice gets powdery, and some will be in very small pieces.  Sometimes if the rice is not flowing freely, I stop and stir or shake it up and then turn it on again.  I think I let it blend for about 1-2 min?

About the taste, not sure, it may be your rice.  We use Lundberg's short grain, but I have used the long grain with the same results.

I just had a thought, maybe if you slow down the speed of your processor, it won't heat up and turn the rice bitter  :-\  anyone else have an opinion on this?  My blender gets warm, and the rice is warm when I am done grinding but we have never had bitter cereal.  I also add some salt to the cooking water (sorry I did not put that in before!).

I would say, that just trying to blend 1 cup at a time helps to get it the right consistency.  If I put too much into the blender, the grains do not move freely and I am left with many different sizes of grains.

IHTH! 
Kindly,
blsd2bhome

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 06:22:16 AM »

Does this work well in a Food Processor?  Is it supposed to be that way?  Do I need a grain mill type thingy to make this?

I just use my regular blender, I don't have a food processor, or use a grain mill for this.  Some of the rice gets powdery, and some will be in very small pieces.  Sometimes if the rice is not flowing freely, I stop and stir or shake it up and then turn it on again.  I think I let it blend for about 1-2 min?
I have tried using my food processor, but I find that it just won't do grains/herbs as finely as the blender will.  I think it has to do with the way the multiple "spikes" come up from the bottom of the blender instead of the flat blade of my food processor. 
Sue Gregg's webside has a recipe, or in her cookbooks if you have them, for blender waffles made of rice.  You soak the rice overnight in the blender and in the morning you grind it up with the liquid for 2-3 minutes.
I think that if I were grinding dry rice I would pulse it in the blender until I got the texture I wanted.

YoopreMama

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 06:51:20 AM »
...Sue Gregg's webside has a recipe, or in her cookbooks if you have them, for blender waffles made of rice.  You soak the rice overnight in the blender and in the morning you grind it up with the liquid for 2-3 minutes...
Sorry I just saw your question, Gigi [you know, I'm in the attic w/ baby clothes  ;)]!  I could've answered it sooner!

I make the blender pancakes/waffles, too...she says that even w/ a regular blender, you can grind fine grain w/ a liquid.  Granted, I use my Vita-Mix, but if I didn't have it, I would grind my rice this way for breakfast cereal.  NT has a recipe for soaking it over night.  I think you use half the liquid for soaking.  Maybe that amount would work for grinding, and then boil the other 1/2 and add it in?

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 07:05:02 AM »
Thank you so much ladies!  I don't know why I couldn't figure this out on my own, I just got stumped (let's blame the pregnant-lady-brain-syndrome and leave it at that!)

I'll try it with some soaking liquid (half the cooking amount) in the food processor to see if that helps the pieces grind smaller.  (I was trying to do it with dry rice yesterday.)  If that doesn't work, I'll try it in my blender, because I can see how it definitely works differently than the food processor and so it may work better, unfortunately my blender is pretty wimpy, so I'm not holding out much hope there!

We have LOTS of rice, and we are needing cheap, warm food with all this snow and cold weather!

Thanks again.

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 07:27:34 AM »
Just wanted to say, I tried rice for our breakfast this morning. I put it in our coffee grinder, then ground up some flax seed as well, threw it in the pot with 1/2 water and 1/2 milk. The family loved it. I think the coffee grinder will be great for us, because in my tiny kitchen I always hate to dig out my blender.
Now my hubby wants another coffee grinder for his coffee at the mechanic shop. I kind of took his away from him.  ::) Off to Salvation Army, to look for a used one.  ;)

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 08:49:22 AM »
how much liquid to how much rice and how long do you cook it?

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 09:31:33 AM »
For our family of two adults, and two little ones, I use 3 1/4 cups liquid to about 7 TBLS of Cream of Wheat. For the rice this morning, I used a coffee grinder's cup's worth, plus about 2 Tbls of ground flax seed. I think next time I'll put a little more rice in.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 11:51:37 AM »
I put it in our coffee grinder, then ground up some flax seed as well,

The coffee grinder is a great idea!  I don't have one, though, so hopefully you don't beat me to the salvation army store . . .  maybe I'd better leave right NOW!!!    :D

FWIW,  The food processor does NOT work nearly as well as my cheap blender for making the rice very fine.  Even if you add liquid, I couldn't get my cuisinart food processor to really make it smooth.  The cheap blender worked much better!  Mrs. B was right!!!!

how much liquid to how much rice and how long do you cook it?

I put 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water in the blender, and whizzed this up till it was creamy.  Then I dumped this in a pot with a goodly bit of salt and added 1 more cup of water and brought it to a boil.  This got really thick around 5 minutes of boiling so I added about another cup of water so I could get the rice bits a little softer and cook it longer.  Total cook time was about 10 minutes.  So, it seemed to need more water than usual for cooking rice.

*BUT, I will probably not be eating it this way often, I will be soaking it.  And I'm thinking that it'll soften it up and require only the standard amount of water for cooking.  So, I'll blend up equal parts water and rice in the blender, add a spoon of yogurt and sit this out all night.  Then, next day when i cook it up, I'll add whatever water/milk is needed for texture, and I bet it'll be the standard one part rice, two parts liquid.*