Author Topic: Fish Oils for Kids  (Read 37612 times)

Offline Gods_child

• Adept
Re: Fish Oils for Kids
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2008, 03:02:28 PM »
I give my 10 month old son Garden of Life CLO in the lemon mint flavor and he does just fine with it. I give it to him with breakfast on a teaspoon. My husband and I also take it, it's definately drinkable!: ;D

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2008, 08:24:12 AM »
We use Carlson brand CLO, and everyone gets a spoonful at dinner time.  Some wash it down with water, some with a bite of food.  Most take it straight.  The 3 yo says "nummy licious."  It's lemon flavored, and no one can taste the fish.
I bought the TwinLab brand without reading the label and took it back because it had water as the first ingredient, then a bunch of other stuff in addition to the CLO.  Oops.
From what I heard from a nutritionist, CLO is the best oil to take in the winter because of the high vitamin D content that most of lack getting from the sun at this time of year.  Makes sense to me.

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2008, 09:46:04 AM »
Anyone give superkids and liquid fish oil at the same time?  It sure would make it convenient!  When do you find is the best time of day to give it?

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »
bump:-)  Anyone give superkids and liquid fish oil at the same time?  It sure would make it convenient!  When do you find is the best time of day to give it?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2008, 03:49:40 PM »
bump:-)  Anyone give superkids and liquid fish oil at the same time?  It sure would make it convenient!  When do you find is the best time of day to give it?

I don't but I don't think it would be a problem.  Cod Liver oil can be very good at helping absorption of the fat soluble vitamins.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2008, 09:36:35 AM »
how much Carlson's fish oil would you give a 2,3,4 yo child?  How about an adult? The dose on the bottle says 1 tsp.  Dr. Mercola suggests 1 tsp. for every 50lbs of body weight. Any thoughts?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2008, 09:54:08 AM »
I am following Dr Mercolas basic advice for fish oil for my 5 year old boy. I give him 1 tsp and he is just over 50 lbs. He is very hyperactive boy, and I can tell a difference, he's been on the fish oil a few days now. He's more calm and collected or something!~

YoopreMama

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2008, 12:41:08 PM »
I am following Dr Mercolas basic advice for fish oil for my 5 year old boy. I give him 1 tsp and he is just over 50 lbs. He is very hyperactive boy, and I can tell a difference, he's been on the fish oil a few days now. He's more calm and collected or something!~
This is our experience, too.  We give our 6 y.o. (~50 pounds) 1 tsp. w/ food.  I've taken it on an empty stomach and gotten nauseous rather quickly.  He is MUCH calmer and sleeps MUCH better since we started it consistently a week or so ago <insert a very jubilant Yooper jumping up and down>.   ;D 

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2008, 04:43:03 PM »
Based on 1tsp. per 50 lbs, I would give my 2 & 3 yo (25lbs) 1/2 tsp.  My (48lb) 4yo would get 1tsp.  My (97lb) 9yo would get 2tsp and my (135) lb 12 yo would get 2tsp.  Wow, I guess I would need close to 4tsp (i'm 35 weeks pregnant and have gained 30lbs, so I'm closer to 200 than 150 ;D     4tsp. sounds like a lot - has anyone else taken this much during pregnancy?

YoopreMama

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2008, 04:58:33 PM »
CLO and PG should have its own thread by now...it seems I'm always looking for it!  :D

Is it the Vitamin A you're concerned about (I was just adding mine up today)?  Here's a good thread...

Vitamin A Toxicity:  Fact or Fiction

Here's an excerpt:

Recently an "expert" panel recommended lowering the RDA (recommended daily allowance) for vitamin A from 5000 IU daily to about 2500 IU and has set an upper limit of about 10,000 IUs for women. The panel was headed by Dr. Robert Russell of Tufts University, who warned that intake over the "upper limit" may cause irreversible liver damage and birth defects—a ridiculous statement in view of the fact that just a few decades ago pregnant women were routinely advised to take cod liver oil daily and eat liver several times per week. One tablespoon of cod liver oil contains at least 15,000 IU and one serving of liver can contain up to 40,000 IU vitamin A. Russell epitomizes the establishment view when he insists that vitamin-A requirements can be met with one-half cup of carrots daily.

It's a really good thread.   :)

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2008, 05:12:53 PM »
  Based on 1tsp. per 50 lbs, I would give my 2 & 3 yo (25lbs) 1/2 tsp.  My (48lb) 4yo would get 1tsp.  My (97lb) 9yo would get 2tsp and my (135) lb 12 yo would get 2tsp.  Wow, I guess I would need close to 4tsp (i'm 35 weeks pregnant and have gained 30lbs, so I'm closer to 200 than 150 ;D     4tsp. sounds like a lot - has anyone else taken this much during pregnancy?

Mine is actually Carlson's fish oil not CLO, not sure if that changes dosages etc.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2008, 05:42:28 PM »

I take fish oil (not cod liver oil) in preperation for pregnancy, I hope to take it during too if I get pg. I take a pretty high dose, 1500 mg EPA and 750 mg DHA. Dr Barry Sears recommends 1600 EPA and 800 DHA for  pregnancy. If you look on the back of your Cod Liver Oil bottle, it will tell you how much or an average of how much EPA and DHA is in it. If you get too much EPA it can thin your blood too much. I think a safe level  of combined EPA and DHA is 3,000 mg. More can be taken I suppose, I just read that if you get too much EPA, it will thin the blood too much for delivery. I think you could take quite a bit of CLO to make the above EPA/DHA recommend mg/doses for pregnancy, though! You'll just have to look at your bottle! :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2008, 06:45:59 PM »
Mine is actually Carlson's fish oil not CLO, not sure if that changes dosages etc.
Whoops!  Me thinks me needs to learn the difference b/w the 2...(or at least read the thread title)  ::)  Sorry for the hijack!   :-[

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2008, 07:55:52 PM »
Dr Barry Sears recommends 1600 EPA and 800 DHA for  pregnancy.

Carlson's fish oil is 800mg EPA/500mg DHA.  So, according to Sears I should take 2 tsp.  That is half of what mercola says (1tsp. per 50 lbs of body weight). It is so frustrating when everything you read says something different ???  I'm thinking i'll just stick with 2 tsp a day of Carlson's fish oil.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

Offline JoyElizabeth

• Learning
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2008, 04:06:02 AM »
I bought the TwinLab brand without reading the label and took it back because it had water as the first ingredient, then a bunch of other stuff in addition to the CLO.  Oops.

We take the Twinlab CLO, Mint flavored. I checked the ingredient list after reading this post and it says: Cod Liver Oil, Mint Flavor. That's it. No water. We have been taking it since October and have seen some great benefits. My almost 2 year old loves it and the rest of us don't have any problems with it. We just drink water afterward. I tried the Cherry flavor - yuck! And I love Cherry flavored anything!

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=2415
Cost $4.48 for 71 tsp. Shipping is $4 flat fee.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2008, 04:26:20 AM »
Dr Barry Sears recommends 1600 EPA and 800 DHA for  pregnancy.

Carlson's fish oil is 800mg EPA/500mg DHA.  So, according to Sears I should take 2 tsp.  That is half of what mercola says (1tsp. per 50 lbs of body weight). It is so frustrating when everything you read says something different ???  I'm thinking i'll just stick with 2 tsp a day of Carlson's fish oil.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

I think that if you took more than 2 tsp it would probably be fine! Mine is fish oil too, not cod liver oil.  But I had found some information that more than 3,000 mg of combined EPA/DHA can thin the blood, thats Why I was being cautious for myself.  If you took more, it wouldnt really be "bad" for you or the baby, and there are pregnant  moms who have taken more and been fine probably. I think there is a case study of a woman who took 4,000 mg of EPA  and 2,000 mg of DHA in pregnancy for depression.....

http://www.vitasearch.com/get-clp-summary/32386

The rest of these are studies on the amounts of fish oil  during pregnancy and the wonderful effects on the baby (makes them smarter and sleep better) and the pregnancy...........

http://www.vitasearch.com/get-clp-summary/34275

http://www.vitasearch.com/get-clp-summary/9321

http://www.vitasearch.com/get-clp-summary/35928

http://www.vitasearch.com/get-clp-summary/17039

YoopreMama

« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2008, 04:38:54 AM »
Just a side note, my CLO  ;) says adults are to take 1 T.  It has:

Vit. A  4556 IU
Vit. D    430 IU

EPA   516 mg
DHA  344 mg

Sounds like your fish oils are higher in EPA and DHA than my CLO.  Is that the main difference?

*Modified*  I was a good girl and paged back on the thread and saw the discussion on the differences b/w fish and CLO...essentially, CLO has more Vitamin A and D (we need it u.p. here w/ our lack of daylight in the winter!).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:47:15 AM by Yooper »

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2008, 05:03:55 AM »
Just a side note, my CLO  ;) says adults are to take 1 T.  It has:

Vit. A  4556 IU
Vit. D    430 IU

EPA   516 mg
DHA  344 mg

Sounds like your fish oils are higher in EPA and DHA than my CLO.  Is that the main difference?

*Modified*  I was a good girl and paged back on the thread and saw the discussion on the differences b/w fish and CLO...essentially, CLO has more Vitamin A and D (we need it u.p. here w/ our lack of daylight in the winter!).

My Prenatal has 1000 mg Vitamin D3  in it, would that be ODing on vitamin D  to change over to CLO too?

YoopreMama

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2008, 05:12:04 AM »
Mine has 400 IU (D3)...what's the difference b/w IU and mgs?  ???

Looking up Vit. D. toxicity/dosage while PG now...

We have one thread on it:
Vitamin D

A long article on it...
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/vitamindmiracle.html
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 05:25:22 AM by Yooper »

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2008, 05:40:10 AM »
Mine has 400 IU (D3)...what's the difference b/w IU and mgs?  ???

Looking up Vit. D. toxicity/dosage while PG now...

We have one thread on it:
Vitamin D

A long article on it...
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/vitamindmiracle.html

Thanks, yooper! :)

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2008, 09:44:37 AM »
You can buy nordic cod liver oil for $10 at GNC. It is a 16 fl oz bottle. This is very inexpensive and great for your health. I think the capsules are a waste of money now. (I was taking those before I found this). I mix a teaspoon in a tiny amount of grape juice, stir and drink asap!!! You can't even taste it at all! I am going to start putting it in my kids sippy cups with a tiny amount of juice and water. I will see how that goes...
I was at Whole foods and it is more expensive there and you pay for the flavor. You can buy your own flavoring but really mixing it in juice works well for us.
Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids

Offline teresab4

• Learning
    • Everyday is an Adventure
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2008, 01:30:12 PM »
Nordic Naturals www.NordicNaturals.com

Available online or at most health food stores

St Hill berry squirts www.St-Hill.com

Available online only

I prefer the taste of St Hill, but my daughter likes the Nordic Naturals.

Nordic Naturals was mentioned to me by Dr Robert Hackman, Dean of the College of Nutrition at UC Berkely - I guess that is a good recommendation.

I have used them both.  I think they are both good quality products at a reasonable price.

Offline teresab4

• Learning
    • Everyday is an Adventure
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2008, 04:14:26 PM »
I have been reading the posts throughout this thread.  I am so excited about the parents who are doing do much to keep their families healthy.  I am learning some great things from this site.

I started doing research on Omega supplements when I was getting ready to wean my daughter and was concerned about supplementing some of her nutrition.  I have published articles about the benefits of Omega supplements for women during pregnancy and nursing, for contributing to lowering cholesterol, digestive health and bone & joint health.

I take 1500 mg 3x a day.

Here is some information from a supplement website:

"The consumption of appropriate amounts of omega-3 fatty acids improves numerous health outcomes involving the cardiovascular system, the immune system, the nervous system, skin and bone health, as well as the proper functioning of body organs.

The primary source of the omega-3 fatty acids is from fish oils. Although flax seed contains an omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid), it must be converted to DHA and this conversion is very inefficient (only about 5%). Thus, flax seed oil is not a good source of omega-3's. Evidence suggests that increased consumption of omega-3 fatty acids, "but not of alpha-linolenic acid, reduces the rates of all cause mortality, cardiac and sudden death, and possibly stroke."*

Products such as borage oil and evening primrose oil are high in gamma-linolenic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid. Research studies have shown that gamma-linolenic acid is not converted to the omega-3 fatty acids needed by the body.

The ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids we should be getting in our diet is approximately 1:2. Unfortunately, our diets generally contain a ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids of 1:20 to 1:30. Omega-3 fatty acids are converted into anti-inflammatory constituents in our bodies, while omega-6's yield pro-inflammatory substances. Primary sources of omega-6 fatty acids include products as corn oil, soybean oil, cottonseed oil, safflower oil and sunflower oil, and as a consequence the amounts of these oils ingested should be limited.

The estimated daily requirement of omega-3 fatty acids for an adult is 3 to 5 grams daily. The average diet only provides about 1 to 2 grams per day.

* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease."

www.NordicNaturals.com also has some excellent information and even shows a diagram of the metabolic pathways of EFA's.

Offline infojunkie00

• Learning
    • my blog about homemaking and homeschooling
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2008, 03:41:19 AM »
Just thought I would add how I got my son to take fish oil. I would draw up a little maple syrup  in a piston type medicine syringe, then the fish oil dose, and then a little more syrup.  He loved it because mostly all he could taste was syrup. After a week or so I started reducing the amount of syrup, and now he takes the fish oil straight. I still give it in a pistin syringe to my younger, because you can shoot it into the corner of their mouth so they swallow without tasting so much and are less likely to spit it out.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord,
thoughts of peace and not of evil,
to give you a future and a hope.
*(Jeremiah 29:11)

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2010, 03:06:36 PM »
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/16/rudi-moerck-on-fish-oil.aspx
Here is an article I just read from Dr. Mercola recommending against fish oil. He says it oxidizes so quickly that it is hard to know if you are actually getting non-rancid stuff. He recommends krill oil, which has a compound that keeps it from oxidizing. I'm not always sure if I totally trust everything Mercola says but I thought I'd post it so others could read over it, too. Although it seems to me that you'd know if your fish oil was rancid  :-X.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2010, 05:18:58 AM »
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/16/rudi-moerck-on-fish-oil.aspx
Here is an article I just read from Dr. Mercola recommending against fish oil. He says it oxidizes so quickly that it is hard to know if you are actually getting non-rancid stuff. He recommends krill oil, which has a compound that keeps it from oxidizing. I'm not always sure if I totally trust everything Mercola says but I thought I'd post it so others could read over it, too. Although it seems to me that you'd know if your fish oil was rancid  :-X.
i saw this article as well, but doesn't he sell krill oil?  i've never seen anything like this on sites that don't have a product to push.  makes me a bit leary of some of his writing.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2010, 11:16:09 AM »
Yes, I am always a little wary of Dr. Mercola. He seems too much like he is trying to sell you something and his ads and website are all flashy like a commercial. His info is usually the same as what I've learned elsewhere, though, except for a little more extreme. I posted it for reference so others would know to think through it before buying. I think next time I buy cod liver oil I will look into it more. I'll post when I do!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2010, 01:42:08 PM »
Jonathan V. Wright recommends taking vitamin E with any oils to prevent rancidity after consumption.  It won't help if the fish oil is rancid while on the shelf, though.