Author Topic: Sun Tea  (Read 2523 times)

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
Sun Tea
« on: September 04, 2007, 06:41:35 AM »
Soooooo, possibly a really dumb question, but can someone tell me how to make sun tea?  I remember doing this as a kid, but it has been many, many years now!  I'm looking for a good method for black tea, and am also wondering if it would work as well for herbal teas since I'm drinking lots of Red Raspberry tea right now that I'm pregnant. 

My husband requested some sun tea at lunch today, and I replied that I didn't know how to make it.  He stared at me with an incredulous look on his face and said, "Wow!  Too bad there isn't a big community out there on the world wide web that likes to share how to make and do things that could... like...  WELL TELL YOU how to do it!!!"   ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Sun Tea
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 06:55:45 AM »
Soooooo, possibly a really dumb question, but can someone tell me how to make sun tea?  I remember doing this as a kid, but it has been many, many years now!  I'm looking for a good method for black tea, and am also wondering if it would work as well for herbal teas since I'm drinking lots of Red Raspberry tea right now that I'm pregnant. 

My husband requested some sun tea at lunch today, and I replied that I didn't know how to make it.  He stared at me with an incredulous look on his face and said, "Wow!  Too bad there isn't a big community out there on the world wide web that likes to share how to make and do things that could... like...  WELL TELL YOU how to do it!!!"   ;D
Put your water (usually 1 Gallon) in a clear glass jar with the tea bags (generally 2-3 Large bags or 4-6 small bags) and let it sit in the sun until it's the desired darkness. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:57:10 AM »
Um...if he looked at you like this, then why didn't HE tell you how to make it?   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 06:57:47 AM »
 This is how I make sun tea. :) I take a clean gallon jar, add four packets of differant teas, peach, lemon,green tea black etc. then fill it with warm water and set it outside in the sun all day. Around suppertime I bring it in add 1/4 cup sugar and a teaspoon stevia and set it in the fridge to cool. This lasts us for several days.  Have fun!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 07:05:19 AM »
This is how I make sun tea. :) I take a clean gallon jar, add four packets of differant teas, peach, lemon,green tea black etc. then fill it with warm water and set it outside in the sun all day. Around suppertime I bring it in add 1/4 cup sugar and a teaspoon stevia and set it in the fridge to cool. This lasts us for several days.  Have fun!
I usually let it sit for awhile, but if the sun is bright enough, I've been known to catch the sun a couple of hours before sundown and get a dark (strong) enough tea.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 07:29:06 AM »
I have a real cheaters way of making "sun" tea. Place tea in room temp water & put in the fridge overnight. It steeps while the water is chilling. It doesn't get bitter or that edge that tea gets sometimes & it is SOOOO easy. If you want it stronger, you can either use more tea or let it steep on the counter overnight. I usually just use more tea- tea bags are cheap & I love having it cold in the morning, ready to go. I do this with black tea bags for reg iced tea for the adults & loose dried mint for herb tea for the kids & I. Of course I have to strain the loose mint but it is still easy.

As far as medicinal herb teas, you would still get some of the medicinal value, but not near as much as you do when you steep it in boiling water. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 02:45:18 PM by herbalmom »