Author Topic: Fasting: Methods, Tips & Tricks  (Read 5134 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Fasting: Methods, Tips & Tricks
« on: September 04, 2007, 05:49:05 AM »
Someone sent me a PM about a book specifically dedicated to fasting.  She thought it was something like "Fasts that Heal"?  I did not find such a book in my searches through the forum.  I also didn't find a thread devoted entirely to fasting, so I started one.

If you know of the book that's already been mentioned or even another book that you can recommend on the reasons to fast, the techniques, getting ready for, etc, please post them and any other helpful information you might be able to offer.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:50:38 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
Re: Fasting: Methods, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 07:36:52 AM »
I have a wonderful book called Fast Your Way To Health.  I can't remember the author...I will post that later when I have a chance to look at the book again.  She comes from Biblical and health standpoints in her book.  I believe she is a pastor's wife in CA somewhere.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:56:33 PM »
John Piper has a book called A Hunger for God. My husband says it's the best book he's read on fasting. This is talking about fasting for spiritual reasons, not for cleansing reasons, although I would think you could combine the two.

This site is also good: http://www.billbright.com/7steps/  Bill Bright was the founder of Campus Crusade for Christ and would do 40 day fasts. The site has some of the how-tos of fasting.

My husband does a long fast once a year and just started a 40-day fast. There's no talking him out of it - to him, the benefits of fasting on the soul outweigh the suffering of going without food. I did a simple 1-day fast the other day and I understood a little of what he meant - the hunger and weakness really forced me to seek the Lord.

I read the Master Cleanse booklet (Adobe file - found it somewhere in the Master Cleanse thread) last year and I think that gives great instructions on the how-to's of fasting. Might as well cleanse physically while you are cleansing spiritually. My husband drinks fruit juices with veggie juices at night but I think the Master Cleanse lemonade would have more nutrients and less of a sugar blast.

Offline oliveoil

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »
anyone know of any information about who shouldn't fast? I started one today and prepped by eating fruits and veggies for two days before hand, and have been drinking just tea and lemon juice with water. It's late evening and I'm feeling so weak and shakey, and my heart seems to be beating really hard. I'm always considered underweight. I'm 5 foot 1 and weigh about 87 lbs. I have a terrible time gaining weight-it's simple, I don't.
so I was wondering if people like me shouldn't do certain fasts. I've felt ok all day my energy level was lower but I could do normal tasks etc, but now I'm just feeling out of it and dizzy when I stand up, very weak.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 05:58:20 AM »
Hello-- I posted yesterday in the hypoglycemia thread about doing a water only fast after reading/hearing of people who got rid of their hypoglycemia through fasts.
I have fasted now for 1.5 days and at the moment I feel great. Four hours ago was a different scenario.  I jumped out of bed too suddenly to help my husband get off on his hunting trip and felt terribly dizzy and nauseous.  It reminded me of my nightmare attempt at "cleansing with Kefir and soup".  I quit that one as soon as I had the severe dizziness.
Today I just got back in bed and was immediately better.  I woke up and did get sick awhile later.  Then I just read to the kids in bed and finally got up to start the day.
Does this sound like my body is getting rid of toxins, etc?  Is there anyone out there with much experience with water only fasts?
I am only attempting three days (sounds wimpy  :) )
I need to teach our Good News Club tomorrow and I want to have strength for it!  Does anyone have experience with staying relatively active while on a water fast?  Lord willing I would like to continue longer.
Thanks in advance for any input.  
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 01:54:24 PM »
I think my fast went pretty well although I wasn't "cured" of hypoglycemia. The fast itself was very enjoyable.  Besides the morning dizziness I felt really great the first two days (no blood sugar issues at all).  The third day I did add in fruits and vegetables for the reason stated in my above post.  I kept that up for another day before stopping the fast altogether.  I was feeling too weak to keep up my mother/wife duties.  It would be great to do a longer fast, water only, but is only advised under a doctor's supervision.  I am not at a good place in my life to do this.
Now I am looking into the Maker's Diet to possibly treat for candida/hypoglycemia.  He recommends the day long fasts once a week.  This is a great idea, it helps to keep a good prayer life if nothing else.  I once heard that Shirley Dobson (possibly Dr. Dobson as well) fasted once a week to pray for her kids.
In conclusion, I believe a water only fast is great for hypoglycemics who want to fast.  There are no blood sugar fluctuations in reaction to foods.  Once I added carrots to my fast I had the blood sugar problems again.  I also think I may have drinken too much water during the fast. I read elsewhere that you should only drink sips of water when you feel thirsty as you will detox more.  I was drinking lots of water all day as my husband was worried about me  :-*
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 02:03:05 PM »
Licorice root really helps with Hypoglycemia symptoms & although it technically wouldn't be a 'water only' fast at that point it might be a good idea to keep some handy. Capsules are easiest esp if your blood sugar is low enough that something very sweet might make you gag &/or vomit. You know, that 'my blood sugar is so low I can't stand food BUT I HAVE to get something into my stomach before I pass out' stage. Every member of my family has low blood sugar & with allergies, leaky gut, yeast/fungus blood sugar levels bounce a lot so we use it a lot around here. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 03:49:39 AM »
I'm in the middle of reading a book called 'Fasting (and eating) for Health' by Joel Fuhrman, MD.  It is not from a Christian perspective but is quite informative.  He says fasting was a known way of healing in the past that has been forgotten. He suggests only a 3 day fast without the supervision of a physician but says even a small person can go up to 40 days without food and not be malnurished.  This makes sense since Jesus fasted in the dessert for 40 days.   He says he has had success in healing/reversing heart disease, diabetes, auto immune diseases and much more.  I'm on chapter 7 of 10 and I plan to be done in the next day or two and start a fast.  I want to heal my eczema, heart murmer and joint pain among other things.  I don't plan to do this with a physician but I'll go as long as I can without and then see my Dr. if I feel it has helped and I need to go further.  He says it should be a water only fast as anything such as fruit juice will start up the body's metabolism of things other than toxins and distract it from healing itself.  I'd love to hear from anyone else that might read the book.  He does suggest a strict vegitarian lifestyle.  I don't agree totally with that but I see his reasoning.  He also states that almost all disease starts in the gut and with what you eat.  I do agree with that.  Garbage in...garbage trying to get out one way or another!  Maybe I should PM Yooper on this one ;D 

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 07:39:30 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D       

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*