Author Topic: Tourettes Syndrome: Causes & Treatments  (Read 58195 times)

Offline shalom1a

• Wide Eyed
Re: Tourettes Syndrome: Causes & Treatments
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2011, 12:11:09 PM »
I know some of these posts are old, but I need to clarify some info in some of  the posts:
"I think that most Tourettes cases can be directly linked to inflammation in the body either through parasitical infections, autoimmune disease or nutritional deficiencies or imbalance. This makes possible causes and interactions so diverse there is no one correct answer/cure. There are so many interconnections between nutritional status, quality of sleep, immune function, emotional condition and even skeletal alignment. "

There may be some cases with Tourettes like symptoms & they may call it Tourettes, but Tourettes is hereditary. I heard years ago that Tourettes symptoms may be lessened with diet, but I never found any diet detail, so there may be a chance that diet/environment can play a roll in the severity, but it isn't the cause and I doubt diet can cure it. I have also seen where they can implant a device in the head to comtrol the signals that cause the tics. The patient has a machine that can be used to turn the implant on or off. Because brain surgery is so dangerous, they only consider doing this for the most sever cases where the tics severely handycap them so thay can't hold down a job etc. My grandfather had it and at least one uncle and a cousin has it. IF my cousin's father has it, it is extrememly mild. We didn't know what it was called until my brother was diagnosed with it in the early 80's, before Tourettes was very well known. We first started noticing some eye blinking tics when my brother was 3. Several years later my mom saw something on TV about Tourettes and thought it sounded like what my brother was doing so she took him to the doctor. We started seeing signs of it when my son was 3 & in doing research I discovered I have it also. However, mine is so mild we didn't realize I had it, but it explained things I did as I was growing up. My mom once said she thought she might have it, but if she does, it is even milder than mine. She is 8 years older than the brother who's daughter has it and the brother that has it is only about 2 years younger than that. My brother close to my age didn't have it, but the one who does is 12 years younger than I. My cousin is 8 years younger than I and lived in a different city than we did. That brother and my son are 20 years apart. So, from my Grandfather, uncle, cousin (uncle who has very mild Tourettes if he has it), myself, my young brother, and my son - this is quite a span of years and locations of growing up for anything except heredity to be the cause. I don't know about anyone before my grandfather, since they were all deceased by the time we started discovering what was causing the tics, before that noone really thought about it. The tics my grandfather had was just part of him.

There is no test (or at least there wasn't as of 8 or so years ago) to diagnose Tourettes. It is diagnosed through observation. One of the criteria is that tics must be present for at least a year. Tics vary greatly between families and even between individuals within a family - some milder, and some more severe; some have more tics, and others have less. My brother has some verbal tics (thank God the cursing tic is not in my family) as well as motor ones. My son doesn't really have the verbal ones, and his motor ones are less sever than my brother's, but he has others that are worse. The tics are involuntary and cannot really be controlled or retrained. Some tics come for awhile & disappear while others may remain. There is an irresistible urge to do whatever the tic is, and the person may or may not be aware of what they are doing. Sometimes they are only aware of it after it has happened. I had a throat clearing tic that others noticed, but I never realized I did until someone mentioned it. When my brother was in ROTC, he concentrated hard to control the tics, but when he came home and relaxed, they were much worse. The tics have to come out. I have had my nail biting tic since I was about 5 or 6. My mom tried to break me from it with jalapeno juice and something that I think was called Stop Bite (very bitter), as well as other ways, but it never worked. I have tried nail polish (hoping it would make me not want to mess it up) & other things, there are times my nails grow a tiny bit, but next thing I know I have bitten them off without even realizing what I was doing it until it was too late. My brother was put on some medication, but the side effects were too bad; it didn't really help the Tourettes much and it caused extremely bad memory recall. I don't know about the current meds, we never used them for our son.

Colic and ear infections don't really have anything to do with Tourettes, unless added in recent years, they have never been on any Tourettes symptoms list I have seen and none of my family ever had them as far as I am aware. Though diet may contribute to ear infections, around the time I was pregnant I heard that sonograms were causing the chronic ear infections (they weren't that common when I was growing up before sonograms). This was before internet, so I couldn't research it, so I don't know that is was a fact. What I do know is that I refused to have a sonogram & my son has only had one ear infection in his 16 years, that one was due to something he was sick with at the time. My son has had very few antibiotics, I didn't know of any natural remedies, but I always believed in trying to let the body do the healing.

As far as the formaldehyde goes, I don't know if my grandfather had vaccinations or if he did if they had formaldehyde in them. But he did not grow up in a house with carpeting. When my parents got new carpet, my brother had already been diagnosed with Tourettes. My son was vaccinated on a later schedule than the doctors recommended (he was a healthy premmie & I wouldn't allow them to follow the normal schedule. (If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have allowed any of them.) I doubt very seriously that formaldehyde causes Tourettes, but formaldehye and allergies might cause similar symptoms that can be cured. The best I can figure out is that vaccines with formaldehyde began around 1995. By that time everyone in my family except my son were grown and had already had their vaccines (if any). My grandfather passed away in 1994 and was already grown before the first vaccines were really pushed on people.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
I know some of these posts are old, but I need to clarify some info in some of  the posts:
"I think that most Tourettes cases can be directly linked to inflammation in the body either through parasitical infections, autoimmune disease or nutritional deficiencies or imbalance. this makes possible causes and interactions so diverse there is no one correct answer/cure. There are so many interconnections between nutritional status, quality of sleep, immune function, emotional condition and even skeletal alignment. "

There may be some cases with Tourettes like symptoms & they may call it Tourettes, but Tourettes is hereditary.
we appreciate your input.  please be aware that your statement "Tourettes is hereditary" is an absolute.  you'll find throughout this forum that we don't tend to support many absolute theories here.  people in the medical community have their opinions but that's exactly what they are - opinions.  please be aware that your post is also an opinion and you should be careful not to argue or dissuade others from exploring other avenues than are provided by the mainstream medical community.

as to your comment on heredity - you might want to consider that many of the things that we believe are given via DNA may merely be taught via "how to cook, eat and live".

if you'd like more information on how we like to handle things around here, take a look at the guidelines for the forum.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,25504.html

thanks again for sharing your story.  

~hb (Admin)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 03:57:15 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »
I thought I would update on our daughter's Tourettes, seeing the last time I updated was a year ago.
We started homeopathic treatments in April of 2011, and I was EXTREMELY skeptical. Even though I had seen other people healed of other diseases and symptoms through homeopathy, I didn't think it was possible to cure someone of such a bizarre disease.
I can say from a non-biased standpoint that since December of 2011, my daughter is in remission. She takes her remedy once every 3-5 months (It's a small pill the size of a grain of sand, basically), and that is much better than having shots 2-3x a week!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2012, 04:02:40 PM »
I thought I would update on our daughter's Tourettes, seeing the last time I updated was a year ago.
We started homeopathic treatments in April of 2011, and I was EXTREMELY skeptical. Even though I had seen other people healed of other diseases and symptoms through homeopathy, I didn't think it was possible to cure someone of such a bizarre disease.
I can say from a non-biased standpoint that since December of 2011, my daughter is in remission. She takes her remedy once every 3-5 months (It's a small pill the size of a grain of sand, basically), and that is much better than having shots 2-3x a week!!

;D  :D  ;)  :)   :-*

For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »
That is great!!

(Thanks to mykidsmom for encouraging words about homeopathy.)