Author Topic: Kefir, Whey, Sauerkraut  (Read 65119 times)

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Kefir, Whey, Sauerkraut
« on: July 06, 2006, 08:19:46 AM »
Question for you geniuses out there...

I've been making kefir and if I let it sit a little longer than necessary it separates and will have an inch of clear liquid that looks and smells like whey? Is it whey?

I want to make sauerkraut today and my recipe (Nourishing Traditions) calls for whey. Does anyone know if this clear liquid stuff from my kefir is whey and if it will work to make sauerkraut

On the subject of fermenting...

I have sour dough bread in the oven, Kumbucha in the laundry closet, kefir in the pantry, homemade chedder goat cheese stacked up in the fridge, and sauerkraut coming...

8)

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
Re: Kefir, Whey, Sauerkraut
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 08:31:42 AM »
Hey, your list sounds SO familiar! Just last evening I was naming off my current list to my husband.  :) Its fun!

Yes, your "clear liquid stuff" is whey (in fact, using kefir is my easiest, "favoritest" way to make whey) and the "curds" are delicious good-for-you cream cheese! You can use the whey for any recipe where Sally Fallon asks for whey.

As soon as my cabbage in the garden is ready, I plan to make kraut too!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 08:35:53 AM by lotsaboys »

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:35:26 AM »
Thanks a bunch...

So if I strain the curds through a cheese cloth and hang or press them it will be a cheese?

I've just been shaking it all back together and using it to make smoothies in the morning - very good!

Thanks,

Rebekah

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 08:39:16 AM »
Thanks a bunch...

So if I strain the curds through a cheese cloth and hang or press them it will be a cheese?

I've just been shaking it all back together and using it to make smoothies in the morning - very good!

Thanks,

Rebekah

Yes, it is what is called Kefir Cheese!  :) Kefir is my quickest "whey" of making whey also!  :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 08:46:01 AM by kayinpa »
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 08:39:57 AM »
Yes, we usually just line a strainer with a cloth and let it drip in the refrig overnight. It could probably be done is less time, that's just my way of sticking one thing away for awhile so I don't get too many projects piled up! ;D

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 03:15:19 PM »
Is whey preferable to the extra salt you could add (also in Nourishing Traditions book)??  I mostly used salt last year when making sauerdraut, just because I didn't have the whey, but made some batches with whey.  I didn't see much difference but am wondering if anyone knows if one is actually considered better than the other. 

Last year we made a lot of sauerkraut with RED cabbage - YUM!!  And pretty too!!  And I find my red cabbage has less bugs to deal with in the garden so is easier to grow.

Also, we don't have refrigeration.  Can whey be stored at room temperature and if so for how long?  Interestingly, the Maker's Diet book makes reference to overall health being poorer since the advent of refrigeration, and we have found since our refrig. died a slow and painful death over a year ago that we have had far far less colds/flus and NO stomach bugs........ ?????   

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 05:23:46 PM »
Wow!  That is very interesting about not having a fridge.  Hm.  I wonder why.  "Cool" is always the old fashioned method.  So maybe there is something deathly in cold.  :)  We live in the tropics so I wonder what the natives did here.

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 05:42:39 AM »
I'M IGNORANT OF THIS SUBJECT AND NOW MY LITTLE ONE IS ON AN ANTIBIOTIC SO I'M INTERESTED IN KEFIR,AND WHEY, AND DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE RAW MILK TO MAKE IT?
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 06:38:42 AM »
WHAT IS KUMBUCHA ?
Sherri

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 06:39:24 AM »
No you don't have to have Raw milk to make kefir.  Here in Ohio, we can't get Raw milk but I have found a milk that is not homogenized, but is pasteurized, so I buy that and use it.  You can use store bought milk, I think skim is best to avoid the Homogenization thing.  I got my kefir grains on ebay for $10 including shipping.  There is a whole thread on Kefir and Beka did a great article on NGJ this month about yogurt and kefir with instructions on how to make both.  Happy keffiring ;D

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 06:43:17 AM »
THANK YOU QUEENTEA I'LL CHECK THAT OUT P.S. E-  ME ABOUT THE NAME [QUEENTEA].
Sherri

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 07:34:18 AM »
Sherri, if you child is on anti-biotics, kefir is great, but go buy a pro-biotic as well... you can get some kind of pro-biotic at any healthfood store. The biggest problem with taking anti-biotics is that they knock out all the good GI flora, and there is nothing to keep yeast overgrowth from occuring. Drinking kefir is good but does not deliver near the amount of flora that the GI needs in an "anti-biotic" situation... anti-biotics are un-natural, and it would be otherwise almost impossible to loose all your GI flora in a few days! Beeyoutiful.com's Tummy Tuneup8 is really good for this type of situation, but you should try to get something today if you can.

--gabe (...on Beka's computer...)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 07:36:25 AM by BeeyoutifulGirl »

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 01:54:44 PM »
Are acidophilus and pro biotics the same thing?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 02:24:00 PM by DawnsEarlyBirds »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 03:15:49 PM »
Are acidophilus and pro biotics the same thing?

Acidophilus is one of many strains of probiotics.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 06:19:38 PM »
Thank you Gabe, I do have some acidophilus that I have been using is that enough or should I get something else also?
Sherri
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 06:22:21 PM »
WHAT IS KUMBUCHA ?

Sorry, I missed this earlier.  It's been a crazy week. 
CLICK HERE
for the thread on Kombucha.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline titus2wam

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 04:20:28 AM »
Rebekah, i wish i had read this yesterday, i have a gallon of whey in the fridge. I would have sent some home with you last night. ;D If you need more let me know.

IN HIM
Jeri
Life with basething!! ahhhhhh! :>) don't ya wannna come along?

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 05:31:46 AM »
Goodmorning! And thanks! I would have called to see if you had whey but it LOOKED like I had some, and I wanted to find out.

I made sauerkraut on Thursday, and it's looking really good. Got some hand made beef bratwursts from a really neat Mexican butcher guy (he practically gave them to me!) and now I want to make mustard...

I LOVE MUSTARD. I mean, some people are addicted to coffee - I'm addicted to mustard, and I'm looking for more foods to eat it with ::) - hence the sauerkraut and brats. ;D

Rebekah

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 07:08:09 AM »
Make your own soft pretzels! Your fam will love you!
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 08:21:48 AM »
Recipe please!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2006, 09:44:57 AM »
Soon!
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline jamie

• Learning
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 01:35:20 PM »
How did you guys ever get to this place. I wish I had someone or a mother like Deb Pearl to spend a weekend or longer with to learn how to get back to nature. anyways can you make yogurt using rice milk or can you use kefir if kids are allergic or intolerant to milk? Also how do you make sauerkraut? I have cleaned up are diet alot but want to really get back to the basics. How do you make it without a refrigerator?

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 09:38:53 AM »
Can I use the whey from kefir in all the recipes from Nourishing Traditions?  Also, how long does kefir last in the fridge after it has cultured?  I used it in my baked oatmeal and wow it was much better than just milk!  What are some other uses for kefir as my family is not keen on drinking it plain!  I know about the smoothies, but are there other things I can use it for as well?

Thanks again!!
Lisa

Offline fish7inTN

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 09:48:15 AM »
I made several qts. of the sauerkraut last Sept. and still enjoy it now.  It's much much stronger now but very good - and I dont' even care for sauerkraut!

I highly recommend the corn relish recipe.  It's my favorite.  We've done her pickles and garlic naturally fermented also.

Does anyone know if the garlic will lose some of it's medicinal properties when fermented like that?  They dont' taste the same at all.  I read recently that cooking will kill much of the "healthiness" of garlic and we prefer it grilled till smooshie.  It kind of bummed me out to read that as it sure is easier to stomach and make the kids eat it when it's soft and overcooked.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 11:19:46 AM »
Can I use the whey from kefir in all the recipes from Nourishing Traditions?  Also, how long does kefir last in the fridge after it has cultured?  I used it in my baked oatmeal and wow it was much better than just milk!  What are some other uses for kefir as my family is not keen on drinking it plain!  I know about the smoothies, but are there other things I can use it for as well?

Thanks again!!
Lisa

There are four or five other Kefir threads with lots of ideas.  Just type "Kefir" in the search box up top on the home page and they'll come up.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 06:09:00 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 05:22:36 PM »
How did you guys ever get to this place. I wish I had someone or a mother like Deb Pearl to spend a weekend or longer with to learn how to get back to nature. anyways can you make yogurt using rice milk or can you use kefir if kids are allergic or intolerant to milk? Also how do you make sauerkraut? I have cleaned up are diet alot but want to really get back to the basics. How do you make it without a refrigerator?

My mother raised me on Lucky Charms cereal, Weaver's frozen fried chicken and steakums with white bread.  And now I live in the woods, have a great garden, eat well, have no refrig. and love this hard working life.  You just have to start, do one new thing at a time, and read a lot.  Start with the Nourishing Traditions book.  You could start with others, but eventually if you have found this forum, you will end up with that book anyway, so don't waste your time.  It will make you nuts, but just take one thing at a time from it.  Soon you'll be as whacky as the rest of us, trying to get back to where our ancestors were hundreds or thousands of years ago in the food preparation department of life.  Nuts isn't it???

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 05:44:08 PM »
Yep, and even my mom (Debi Pearl) started somewhere. We learned right along with her.

Rebekah

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2006, 05:31:50 PM »
Yep, and even my mom (Debi Pearl) started somewhere. We learned right along with her.

Rebekah

And my guess it was great fun for her and you! 

I love batting new ideas around with my 16 year old daughter in the kitchen.  And my 10 year old and I love learning things about the garden together.  He's in the kitchen too a lot these days, made me some wonderful fresh ground grain pancakes for breakfast the other day.  He even knew enough to make the batter the night before and let them soak .....  ;D ;D ;D 

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 04:04:31 AM »
I'm with you on the learning together and batting ideas around! My two oldest seem to catch onto some things as fast as I do and they have really pitched in with all the experimenting, etc. And my hubby- he's been so helpful and encouraging- esp. with new stuff that I'm unsure of trying. So this way of life can be one big, fun family project! Everyday!