Author Topic: Kefir, Whey, Sauerkraut  (Read 65094 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Kefir, Whey, Sauerkraut
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2006, 03:17:35 PM »
I detest everyone with air conditioning! ;D 

I'm sorry.   :-\  If it makes you feel any better we didn't have air last year.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline sven

• Learning
    • Solar Family Farm
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2006, 11:31:06 AM »
....After your fermenting veggies sit for a few days, it says to move to cold storage.  This is referring to a dark and cool place, not a refrigerator, right?...

I do the fridge thing as I don't really have cold storage in the summertime hear in Tennessee.  They do just fine!  But cold, dark, root cellar type storage would be the best!  I think 40 degrees is the ideal but don't quote me on that.  It doesn't matter that much.

Kristin
The East Tennessee Ridge Runners

Offline sven

• Learning
    • Solar Family Farm
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2006, 11:39:26 AM »
I just made goat milk ricotta for the first time (yeah! my boys can't wait to eat CHEESE!) and I'm wondering if the liquid left behind is whey. Any of you know? Thanks.

Since Ricotta is made by heating whey to a high temp (180 or more), you cannot use it for fermenting.  The good bacteria is dead.  But that is the price you pay for real ricotta!  Hope you all enjoyed it.

Kristin
The East Tennessee Ridge Runners

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2007, 08:04:54 AM »
I have a question for all you sauerkraut makers.  Did you shred your cabbage or grate it?  I have made it in the past and didn't work very well and it was grated.  So, I am just about to make mine right now when the NT directions say to "shred".  Do you think this will make any bit of difference in the sauerkraut?

Nickole

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2007, 08:20:13 AM »
I have a question for all you sauerkraut makers.  Did you shred your cabbage or grate it?  I have made it in the past and didn't work very well and it was grated.  So, I am just about to make mine right now when the NT directions say to "shred".  Do you think this will make any bit of difference in the sauerkraut?

I grated it in my food processor with the grater attachment, but that pretty much shreds the heck out of it.  Also my first batch, I left the blade in there too (der) so it shredded it and THEN chopped it.  So it was pretty fine.  Tasted wonderful.   

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2007, 08:24:19 AM »
Thanks, Nickole.  I will go ahead and try grating it, again.   ;)

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2007, 08:38:20 AM »

I shredded mine, but it was a fairly fine shred. It worked good, but I would like to try grating as it might be easier to get juice out of it. We had to pound the shredded quite a while.

Offline smartmommato4

• Learning
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2007, 01:19:42 PM »
Honestly..I've made it both ways and by far perfer the shredded method vs. the grated method.  Shredding definitely takes longer to ferment than grating..but the end result is much better when shredding the cabbage.  When I shred mine..I just pound the tar out of it before putting it in the jar just to make it extra juicy.  Yum..now you've got me craving so good ol' homemade sauerkraut.   
Heidi...mommy to four beautiful children and one in heaven :)

Nickole

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2007, 01:25:24 PM »
I think I'm confused about the difference between shredded and grated.  To me it seems like the same thing, no?  I grated with my food processor like I said, but the end product also looked shredded to me.   
:-\  Does grated cabbage look different than shredded, and how so?  Sorry if this is a really stupid question.   ??? 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2007, 03:06:16 PM »

:-\  Does grated cabbage look different than shredded, and how so?  Sorry if this is a really stupid question.   ??? 

Well, as far as my home ec. knowledge goes, which may not get me very far... :D  Grating it would mean taking it to a "cheese" grater and grating it that way.(that is the way I HAD been doing it)  Shredding it would be taking a knife to it and cutting it very thin.  Am I wrong?

This time I used my food processor and "shredded" it, but they were really small fine pieces, so we will see.

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2007, 03:20:06 PM »
For what it's worth, I've seen garlic shredders in the Lehman's non electric catalog.  You might try www.lehmans.com (I think that's it).

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2007, 05:45:48 AM »

Well, as far as my home ec. knowledge goes, which may not get me very far... :D  Grating it would mean taking it to a "cheese" grater and grating it that way.(that is the way I HAD been doing it)  Shredding it would be taking a knife to it and cutting it very thin.  Am I wrong?

This time I used my food processor and "shredded" it, but they were really small fine pieces, so we will see.

I don't know that you're wrong, healthyinohio, my understanding of shredded vs. grated is probably wrong. :-\ I have several different cones with my KitchenAid attachment and I always considered the finest one a "grate" and the next bigger a "shred". That is what I was referring to in my earlier post... Someone set me straight!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2007, 06:44:06 AM »

I don't know that you're wrong, healthyinohio, my understanding of shredded vs. grated is probably wrong. :-\ I have several different cones with my KitchenAid attachment and I always considered the finest one a "grate" and the next bigger a "shred". That is what I was referring to in my earlier post... Someone set me straight!

Yeah, it sure would make sense if the author of a recipe would specify grate and shred FOR a processor or grate or shred using a knife.  I suppose both would be two entirely different things, huh?

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2007, 09:51:34 AM »
I looked up Grate and Shred in Wiktionary.  Grate seems to refer to what you get when you grate cheese using a grater.  Shred refers more to long thin strips.  Hope that helps.

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2007, 07:11:24 AM »
I have all this great whey from my kefir, so I bought some cabbage at Aldi's today....the problem is that I loaned my NT book to a friend (almost a year ago) and dont have the recipe.  If someone has a moment would you mind sending it to me?  Thanks!

Kay

OH.....I cant remember whether you are supposed to seal the jar  or put cheese cloth over the top.....also I have sea salt that isnt fine (its bulky), do I need to grind it or should I just stick it in as is!

K
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 07:13:15 AM by kayinpa »
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2007, 06:20:37 AM »
I just made goat milk ricotta for the first time (yeah! my boys can't wait to eat CHEESE!) and I'm wondering if the liquid left behind is whey. Any of you know? Thanks.

Since Ricotta is made by heating whey to a high temp (180 or more), you cannot use it for fermenting.  The good bacteria is dead.  But that is the price you pay for real ricotta!  Hope you all enjoyed it.

Kristin

I know this was posted awhile back but I am hoping someone will see and tell me, as ignorant as I am on this topic of cheesemaking. I made chevre  from our goat milk. The directions on the culture said to pasteurize first then heat to 86 degrees. I did not pasteurize it, but while heating it got to a little over 100 degrees (After reading Rebeka's post about cheese tasting better and lasting longer I will probably pasteurize next time -- opinions?).

That said, is the liquid I poured off my cheese and what is dripping through now whey?  ??? Can I use it for fermented veggies? If I pasteurize it will it still have the enzymes I need for fermented veggies? I don't mean to sound like too big of a dork but I have only read about whey from yogurt. :P
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2007, 05:55:34 PM »
You all have got me craving sauerkraut! I don't have a NT book, could you post the recipe for sauerkraut, or pm me? PLEASE!!

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2007, 06:04:34 PM »
I was just thinking about making sauerkraut in the next day or two!  I was planning on buying a bag of coleslaw mix in the produce section of my grocery store (the lazy way out).  Anybody know why you couldn't do that? 

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2007, 06:08:22 PM »
I was just thinking about making sauerkraut in the next day or two!  I was planning on buying a bag of coleslaw mix in the produce section of my grocery store (the lazy way out).  Anybody know why you couldn't do that? 

Those bags can be quite old before you buy them. It might work but it could very easily have a high bacteria &/or mold spore count & ruin your sauerkraut. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2007, 06:10:43 PM »
Nourishing Traditions Sauerkraut, p. 92
Makes 1 quart
1 medium cabbage, cored and shredded
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 tablespoon sea salt
4 tablespoons whey (if not available, use an additional 1 tablespoon salt)
In a bowl, mix cabbage with caraway seeds, sea salt and whey.  Pound with a wooden pounder or a meat hammer for about 10 minutes to release juices.  Place in a quart size wide mouth mason jar and press down firmly with a pounder or meat hammer until juices come at least to the top of the cabbage.  The top of the cabbage should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar.  Cover tightly and keep at room temp for about 3 days before transferring to cold storage.  The sauerkraut may be eaten immediately but improves with age.

cecac

« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2007, 04:23:35 AM »
I've done the above recipe, but the first time we couldn't eat it with the caraway seeds.  Very overpowering taste (at least to us).  I just left those out the next time and went with a straight whey/salt mixture.  We all really like it. 

Cara

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2007, 04:58:53 AM »
I've done the above recipe, but the first time we couldn't eat it with the caraway seeds.  Very overpowering taste (at least to us).  I just left those out the next time and went with a straight whey/salt mixture.  We all really like it. 

Cara

I think it all depends on your taste.  We made it just like the recipe and loved it...but when I buy kraut, I buy the bavarian style with the caraway seeds in it, so that is our taste.

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2007, 02:29:56 PM »

I made sauerkraut. I followed the NT recipe but cut back by half on the caraway seeds as per several comments on here. At first it tastes fine, but then it has a very bitter taste. Any ideas on why? I let it sit out for 2 days. Should I let it out longer? Any way to "fix" it?

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »

I made sauerkraut. I followed the NT recipe but cut back by half on the caraway seeds as per several comments on here. At first it tastes fine, but then it has a very bitter taste. Any ideas on why? I let it sit out for 2 days. Should I let it out longer? Any way to "fix" it?

I found with ours the bitter taste goes away with time.

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2007, 11:57:51 AM »
I did leave it out longer and it did, indeed, become yummy. However, one jar turned goaty. Gross. I made it with goat whey. One was wonderful and one was gross. Same whey, same batch, different jars. Go figure.

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2008, 02:46:27 PM »
What is the difference between whey and buttermilk?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »
What is the difference between whey and buttermilk?

Buttermilk is the liquid left after making butter and whey is the yellowish liquid that can be strained from yogurt, kefir, or raw milk left sit at room temp. for 3-4 days. Hope I made sense. :)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »

Buttermilk is the liquid left after making butter

I thought buttermilk was actually a cultured milk product?  :-\  Are there two different buttermilks?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »

Buttermilk is the liquid left after making butter

I thought buttermilk was actually a cultured milk product?  :-\  Are there two different buttermilks?
Not sure what you mean by "a cultured milk product". :-\
But if you leave your cream at room temp. for 8 hrs to sour and then use that to make butter your buttermilk will be cultured. Sorry if I'm confusing. :P :-[

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "a cultured milk product". :-\
But if you leave your cream at room temp. for 8 hrs to sour and then use that to make butter your buttermilk will be cultured. Sorry if I'm confusing. :P :-[

I think I know what you are saying, and it truly does make sense.  But I still think there is a bit of difference between the "whey" left over from butter and actually buttermilk.  Maybe this is what NLBB is trying to figure out?  I only made the mention of it, because you can buy buttermilk cultures at a co-op or on ebay, and it is a drink.  So, that made me think it was an entirely different thing than the leftover butter stuff. KWIM? ;) :D