Author Topic: Kefir, Whey, Sauerkraut  (Read 67705 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Kefir, Whey, Sauerkraut
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2006, 08:17:05 AM »
I want to make my own fermented veggies using whey before I do the salt trick.  I don't have any access to raw milk in my area.  I did find some whey protein at my local health food store, today.  Is this the same thing?  It is like powdered and it is 90% protein and I have no clue as to what the other 10% is.  Do you think that I could sprinkle some of this to get it to ferment?  Or do I have to use the raw liquid whey.  Anyone know?

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2006, 11:07:24 PM »
I don't know about the powdered, but do you buy plain yoghurt??  I just pour off the whey from the top of it to get my whey. 

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2006, 11:42:35 PM »
I want to make my own fermented veggies using whey before I do the salt trick.  I don't have any access to raw milk in my area.  I did find some whey protein at my local health food store, today.  Is this the same thing?  It is like powdered and it is 90% protein and I have no clue as to what the other 10% is.  Do you think that I could sprinkle some of this to get it to ferment?  Or do I have to use the raw liquid whey.  Anyone know?

I do the same as mishy.  You don't need raw milk, just yogurt.  And you can drain it off the top of the yogurt for a little whey, or stain all the yogurt through cheesecloth, hang it over  a bowl overnight, and get lots more whey.  AND the remaining stuff is cream cheese.  We chop herbs and garlic up, mix it with the cream cheese and have our own very inexpensive Boursin cheese (??Spelling, it cost's $16/pound here!) for crackers!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 02:12:58 AM »
Thanks, ladies for your help!  That's what I'll do.  Here, I 've been giving my cats the creamy liquid!! :)

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2006, 04:57:22 PM »
Sorry! I didn't see that it had already been mentioned.  ::) LOL!
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2006, 08:10:53 AM »
Okay, just to make sure before I do this.  After your fermenting veggies sit for a few days, it says to move to cold storage.  This is referring to a dark and cool place, not a refrigerator, right?  Also, after you open it and eat some, should the leftovers be stored in a fridge, or is room temperature still the way to go on this?  Thanks everyone for your help! :)

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 10:14:42 AM »
I just made goat milk ricotta for the first time (yeah! my boys can't wait to eat CHEESE!) and I'm wondering if the liquid left behind is whey. Any of you know? Thanks.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006, 10:17:16 AM »
Okay, just to make sure before I do this.  After your fermenting veggies sit for a few days, it says to move to cold storage.  This is referring to a dark and cool place, not a refrigerator, right?  Also, after you open it and eat some, should the leftovers be stored in a fridge, or is room temperature still the way to go on this?  Thanks everyone for your help! :)
I do just the cold storage, not the frig.  As for after they are open, cold storage or frig. works best, though mine sit a few days out in room temperature.  We usually eat them fast enough that it hasn't been a problem.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2006, 11:08:07 AM »
Okay, I am going to be asking a million questions on this.  I seem to be lacto-fermented handicapped! :)  I grated my carrots and my ginger and put in the salt.  Then, I opened my new and very expensive container of organic goat's milk yogurt and I had NO whey.  I thought, NO WAY!!  So, I had to use the extra salt :-\  Where did my whey go?  I always have some with my cow's milk yogurt.
Also, I didn't get much juice out of the pounding of the carrots, so I hope it will still work.  Thanks for all of your help, fermenting experts.

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2006, 11:10:29 AM »

Then, I opened my new and very expensive container of organic goat's milk yogurt and I had NO whey.  I thought, NO WAY!!

:D ROTFLOL! ;D

Ok that for some reason just hit my funny bone!
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2006, 11:13:15 AM »

:D ROTFLOL! ;D

Ok that for some reason just hit my funny bone!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :)

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2006, 08:52:02 AM »
MUSTARD!

My six year old was sitting at the table raving about how much he loves mustard and I thought of Beka and what she had said about it.  Can you share a good recipe? It would be a good homeschool project for him.

I remembered that mustard is really good with peanut butter.  Mix it and eat it with a spoon or on a sandwich.  This is my mom's favorite sandwich. A good alternative to sweeter PB creations.
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2006, 09:07:10 AM »
I remembered that mustard is really good with peanut butter.  Mix it and eat it with a spoon or on a sandwich.  This is my mom's favorite sandwich. A good alternative to sweeter PB creations.

I'll have to applaud you from the sidelines, here. You've gone beyond some line in my brain that will not allow my tastebuds entrance. The voice in my head is going, "That's just WRONG!"

Enjoy! :P :P :P :P :P
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2006, 09:43:36 AM »
  Okay, I'm going to have to be honest.  I'm pretty skeptical.   :P
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2006, 02:22:05 PM »
Well, you know how healthy fats are a must for most vegetables! The peanut butter gives you the fat to help digest the fat soluble vitamins in the mustard!   Do I sound like an expert or what?  Did I convince you yet? ;)
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2006, 02:52:47 PM »
NOPE. :-X  But, I think you're very brave. ;D
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline craig7

• Learning
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2006, 01:05:28 AM »
Yes, I need to start somewhere, but I just found this site and feel a little overwhelmed.  There are some things nutritionally that I have been doing for awhile trying to be healthy and "get back to basics," but there seems to be so much more to learn and implement.  If I were to start "somewhere", where would that be?????  We use only whole wheat flour, only raw sugar, eat lots of veggies from our garden, use SuperMom, etc.  would changing dairy intake be next????  adding this "kefir" thing everyone talks about???  Ugh... any suggestions.  I do have the Traditions book, but have never read it!!!!  It came in the mail at the end of my 5 pregnancy and suddenly I got really busy!!!!!  Suggestions Please!!! 
Laura

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2006, 02:47:17 AM »
Okay, I am going to be asking a million questions on this.  I seem to be lacto-fermented handicapped! :)  I grated my carrots and my ginger and put in the salt.
Also, I didn't get much juice out of the pounding of the carrots, so I hope it will still work.  Thanks for all of your help, fermenting experts.

Were your carrots fresh?  I have found that using carrots or cabbage that has sat for even a few days produces far less juice.  I have made sauerkraut from grocery store cabbage when ours was used up and we were desperate for more.  It worked but didn't taste near as good.

Had some of our first batch of kraut from this year the other night.  It had only sat out at room temp. for 3 days but my kids were estatic.  It wasn't near as good as it gets when it sits for a few weeks.  Maybe it was just not having it for several months now.

I also made another batch of the ginger ale drink from Nour.Trad. but mistakenly put in lemon juice instead of lime.  We liked it "whey" better then with the lime juice.  No one, including myself, has dared try the beet kvass yet ...... it just sounds wrong. :)

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2006, 05:07:38 AM »
The beet kvass isn't nearly as scary as it sounds. Just don't smell it first! :) I wouldn't want to drink a large glass of it but I can handle a couple of ounces in the morning.  ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2006, 07:23:37 AM »
If I were to start "somewhere", where would that be????

Start with the thread "Begin/Start a Healthier Lifestyle/Diet".
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline craig7

• Learning
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2006, 12:58:44 AM »
Thank you for the direction in looking at the how to start a healthy lifestyle thread!!!!  It was helpful.  I have never used a chat site before and am still trying to figure out exactly how to do it.  It seems to take me forever to get anywhere because there is so much to read, learn, and follow different threads, etc.   
Laura

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2006, 03:59:01 AM »
O.k. i want to make raw sauerkraut, i have the cabbage, the sea salt and whey.( will the whey off of homemade, raw yoghurt work?) But it calls for cumin seeds and mustard seeds and all i have is ground mustard powder and ground cumin. Will that work?

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2006, 05:04:30 AM »
O.k. i want to make raw sauerkraut, i have the cabbage, the sea salt and whey.( will the whey off of homemade, raw yoghurt work?) But it calls for cumin seeds and mustard seeds and all i have is ground mustard powder and ground cumin. Will that work?
You don't have to put in the cumin and mustard. We just use cabbage, salt and whey.   I don't know about using the  ground seeds, if you want to put them in.  I wouldn't think that would work, but it is only an opinion. 

Offline ScottsHelper

• Adept
  • Army Family...Proudly Serving Our Country!
    • The Munchkins and Me
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2006, 07:25:38 AM »
Sorry to jump in here, but it seems this thread might be the best place to ask about my NT pickles...I made some a few weeks ago, then put them in the fridge.  I decided to try them today.  One of the pickles popped up above the water while fermenting on the counter--that part is all mushy and gross (no mold and not smelly).  Is the whole batch ruined?  I threw that pickle out and tasted another...it was delicious, but then I got a bit concerned that I might be poisioning myself with botulism or somthing!!!  Are my pickles safe to eat?? 

Also, I only used a tiny bit of whey and did not make up the difference with extra salt, because when I tried the ginger carrots in the past with only salt (adding the extra tablespoon as Sally says to do) and they came out sickeningly salty!  Guess I'm now concerned that not following the directions could result in food poisoning!  I know Sally says that you would know it if the food went bad by the smell, but I didn't think you could smell botulism--as I've read in all the precautions with canning foods, how careful you have to be.

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid, but any thoughts would be appreciated!   :)

Heather

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2006, 07:27:42 AM »
Sorry to jump in here, but it seems this thread might be the best place to ask about my NT pickles...I made some a few weeks ago, then put them in the fridge. I decided to try them today. One of the pickles popped up above the water while fermenting on the counter--that part is all mushy and gross (no mold and not smelly). Is the whole batch ruined?

Okay, let me get this straight.  You had the fermented cukes on the counter and one popped above the liquid?  Or, you fermented them, put them in the fridge and one popped up?  I don't know what to say?  I have made the ginger carrots and the sauerkraut with not much juice to cover  it and it tasted fine.  I actually enjoyed the really salty taste.  I'm weird, I know.  I like to lick the extra salt at the bottom of a pretzel bag.  :P  So, I guess that I am used to it.
I have made the pickled cukes this week, too.  Some cukes have risen above the mixture, but I don't think that it is a problem.  However, I don't know since you didn't follow the directions exactly, how safe it would be.  I would do the same thing and eat it anyways.
Botulin toxin is rare, but says that it is more common in canned foods with a low acid level such as beets, asparagus, corn and green beans.  It is also found in fermented fish.  But does not mention fermented veggies.  Just canned veggies and fermented fish.  Also, you will have symptoms in 12-48 hours with double vision, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.  So if you are fine in a day or so, then it will be okay.  Hope you are still with us!

Offline ScottsHelper

• Adept
    • The Munchkins and Me
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2006, 09:10:43 AM »
 :) Yes, I'm still here among the living! One of the cukes popped up above the liquid while fermenting on the counter.  I'll probably go ahead and eat this batch, and next time I'll probably just stick to the instructions just to be on the safe side!  I used a highly processed cheap sea salt to make these, but once I get ahold of some better salt (healthier), perhaps the saltiness won't be as strong, as I've noticed it tends not to be with the other minerals in the salt diluting the saltiness.

Thanks for the response!

Heather

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2006, 05:34:35 PM »
Okay, now I  have a question about my sliced pickled cucumbers.  I opened the container this evening and as I opened it up, it fizzed and bubbled like soda pop.  Is this normal?  This is the first time that I actually used the whey.  They did smell a little funny, but tasted okay.    Nothing like my carrots.  They smelled like well, carrots, so I don't know.  Anyone?

Offline ScottsHelper

• Adept
    • The Munchkins and Me
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2006, 04:05:19 AM »
Don't know if that was normal, but, just to let you know, mine did not do that when I opened them the other day.  I had a glass jar that I had placed a piece of plastic wrap on, and then screwed on a plastic lid.  Are your pickles crisp?  Mine were a bit mushy in places.  I did add the dill and mustard (if I remember correctly!) when fermenting, and the pickles had a nice flavor!

I was reading about drinks now, and am determined to try the raspberry drink from NT...it sounds delicious...anyone tried it???

Heather

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2006, 05:38:34 AM »
My pickles were surprisingly a little on the soft side, too.  I didn't expect just a couple of days would make them so soft.  Tastes okay, though.  I am trying the drink phase next, too.  Don't know which one, yet!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2006, 02:48:39 PM »
Okay, my first batch of fermented ginger carrots were wonderful.  But my cukes and my second batch of carrots smelled so horrible.  I kept it at room temp for three days, but room temp in my house has been up to 90 degrees.  I detest everyone with air conditioning! ;D  Is this the reason my veggies are smelling horrible?  Should the heat have anything to do with this?