Author Topic: Curds and Whey  (Read 20044 times)

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
Re: Curds and Whey
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 07:35:40 AM »
MOLDY CREAM CHEESE. I have a question. I made the cream cheese and whey in NT. I used raw milk and it set out for 4 days until it separated. Then I strained it just like it said and I put the whey into a mason jar and the cream cheese into a glass container with a lid. I didn’t stir it or mix anything with it. The cream from the milk was obviously more yellow than the rest but I didn’t mix it up or anything. So I got it out today to add stuff to it and whatnot but it smelled like a moldy sock. I put it in a bowl and noticed that all the cream on the bottom was moldy. So I scraped it off and noticed that the white stuff was ok. It was just the yellowish cream that had mold on it. But now it all still kind of stinks like blue cheese. But I used it anyway and it tasted ok. Not great because of the smell. Was I supposed to separate the cream from the rest? Has anyone else had moldy cream cheese?? What should I do??

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 10:18:10 AM »
MOLDY CREAM CHEESE. I have a question. I made the cream cheese and whey in NT. I used raw milk and it set out for 4 days until it separated. Then I strained it just like it said and I put the whey into a mason jar and the cream cheese into a glass container with a lid. I didn’t stir it or mix anything with it. The cream from the milk was obviously more yellow than the rest but I didn’t mix it up or anything. So I got it out today to add stuff to it and whatnot but it smelled like a moldy sock. I put it in a bowl and noticed that all the cream on the bottom was moldy. So I scraped it off and noticed that the white stuff was ok. It was just the yellowish cream that had mold on it. But now it all still kind of stinks like blue cheese. But I used it anyway and it tasted ok. Not great because of the smell. Was I supposed to separate the cream from the rest? Has anyone else had moldy cream cheese?? What should I do??

I recently made whey and cream cheese using store-bought yogurt.  After only a week or so in the fridge in a glass dish w/ lid, the cream cheese had white fuzzy mold on it.  NT says it's supposed to stay good for like 2 mos. ???
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline savedbygrace

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2009, 08:48:49 AM »
bump ;D

Offline Linda1958

• Learning
    • Linda's Bread
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 05:44:50 PM »
I make my own curd also, called Quark in German. I buy plain yogurt as starter, use 1/2 Gallon of milk. I heat up the milk in a pot, pour it into a plastic container (it has to be hand warm. I never measure the temp. just try it on my wrist), and add the small yogurt. In order to keep it warm, I use a cooler, line it with a blanket and a hot water bottle (filled with hot water of course). I place the milk container on top of the water bottle and close the lid of the cooler. I save on electricity and don't have to wash so many little jars. The yogurt is done after about 8 hours. In between I check the temp of the water, if necessary I replace it with hot water.
The next day, I pour the yogurt onto a cheese cloth, over a strainer and big bowl. I have a "cheese maker" also, works the same way without the cheese cloth. I never leave it on the counter, I put it into the fridge.
When the Quark / curd is ready, I mix it up with orange juice, raisins, cane sugar and fresh fruit. My favorite curd is banana with freshly whipped cream.
The salty version is crude mixed with a little bit of milk, salt, white pepper and black pepper, chives and onions. I eat it on bread, which I bake myself / sourdough bread, or on potatoes with red beats.
bon appetite

Offline mamato5

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 05:19:55 PM »

i know this is really old, but i just tried making this today and had a similar experience. also, the "cream cheese" is NOT creamy. any suggestions? thanks!!
pregnancy due date" border="0