Author Topic: question about store bought kefir  (Read 3356 times)

Offline yasmine

• Adept
  • God is my strength and my shield!
question about store bought kefir
« on: October 16, 2007, 07:04:44 AM »
I bought Helios  Kefir and it is like thick yogurt. And I also bought Nancy's Kefir  and they are both organic The Nancy's Kefir is like milk, very thin.  Is there something wrong and if the kefir is like milk is it not cultured enough? The Nancy's tastes like it is kefir but it is so thin. Any information would help.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: question about store bought kefir
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 06:25:08 AM »
bump?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:06:23 AM »
Both are fine to drink I am sure.  I was going to say that I thought the fat content had something to do with it, but I just went to the fridge to check it out and proved myself wrong.  So, I guess, I don't have any idea why there is a difference, but I do know that there are even variances from one flavor to another even within the same brand.  We have two flavors of the Lifeway brand in our fridge right now and the vanilla is thin and runny and the strawberry is very thick like yogurt.  Both apparently are made from lowfat milk. (I didn't think the strawberry was, but I was wrong.)  I know that there are difference in homemade kefir between goat's milk and cow's milk and store bought milk consistancies.  I know from personal experience that the longer that the longer that kefir sets and cultures the thicker it gets and therefore it is supposed to be better for you since it has been cultured longer.  But I couldn't choke that stout stuff down. (I know that there are many on here that do, and my hat is off to you.)  I think that any kefir if you can get it in you is a good thing and the consistancy is going to differ according to your preference.  So buy the one that you are willing to drink and drink lots.
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline hacinta

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 06:48:48 AM »
I have been making kefir for a few weeks now, and have done tons of reading on it. From what I gather the longer the grains stay in the milk the thicker it gets. In addition it seems there are more health benefits to the longer fermented kefir.
But.... there is no health benefit if you do not drink it at all. So my suggestion is to make/drink the kefir you prefer.
When I started I fermented less time than I do now. I wanted to get used to it, and see how I liked it. I find I like whole organic milk. I am trying to find raw milk. In Florida its illegal, except for pet usage. I would love to try it, but since it is very difficult to get the likelihood of me using it regularly is slim. I may not want to get my grains adjusted to that, then have to switch.