Author Topic: Basic Cake Recipes  (Read 8259 times)

Offline Aura

• Adept
Basic Cake Recipes
« on: August 22, 2007, 11:54:28 AM »
Birthday time again, and I need a recipe for a cake. Last time I tried making a lemon cake from healthy/natural ingredients, it didn't turn out. I used freshly milled soft white flour and sucanat w/ honey crystals. It was very heavy. (The goats got most of it.  ;D ) Does anyone have any good recipes or suggestions? Something besides chocolate cake.

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
Re: Basic Cake Recipes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:29:31 PM »
Here's a cake idea:

Whole Wheat Applesauce Cake
1 1/4 cup plus 2T. whole wheat flour,1 2/3 cup honey,1 1/2 tsp soda, 1 1/2 tsp salt,1/4 tsp baking powder, 3/4 tsp cinnamon,1/2 tsp cloves,1/2 tsp allspice, 1 1/2 cups applesauce,1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup butter,softened, 2 eggs, 1 cup raisins, 1/3 cup nuts,chopped.
Preheat oven to 375.  Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. Beat all ingredients, except raisins and nuts in a large bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly for 1 minute.Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally for 3 minutes. Fold in the raisins and nuts. Pour into prepared pan, and then bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

A favorite frosting of mine is to spread cashew butter on top of warm cake and then sprinkle on freshly grated coconut, then arrange sliced strawberries and/or peaches around the edge and center. Serve  each piece of cake with a dollop of whipped cream and a smile and enjoy! :)

Nickole

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 01:38:22 PM »
Here's a thread for b-day desserts.  Check out reply number 24 - I altered SarahK's cake recipe a bit to make it more healthy and I'm telling you it was so delicious.  I cannot recommend it enough.  I may very well make this for every single birthday.   :)  It's a layered ice cream cake.   

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,8387.0.html

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 08:52:03 AM »
QUICK!  I need help!

What is a 10" tube pan?  And, more importantly, can I use a 9x13 instead?

The recipe seems rather large....3c flour, 2c. sugar....so I would think that if this fits a 10" tube pan it'd go into a 9x13, too? ???

Clear as mud?

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 11:03:52 AM »
Never mind.  :D  It worked just fine.  Mmmm, banana pineapple cake.  It smells good, too.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »
QUICK!  I need help!

What is a 10" tube pan?  And, more importantly, can I use a 9x13 instead?

The recipe seems rather large....3c flour, 2c. sugar....so I would think that if this fits a 10" tube pan it'd go into a 9x13, too? ???

Clear as mud?

A tube cake pan is the pan that looks like a bunt cake pan but with straight sides. The type with the hole in the middle that Angle Food cake is usually baked in.

As far as the measurement, I checked on line & a 10" tube pan holds 16 cups. A 9 X 13 holds 12 cups.

If you try to change the recipe to make a smaller amount to fit the smaller pan, the proportions will be off & it may not work. Don't change the amounts in the recipe, just plan on baking a small cake along side with the extra batter.

The thing where you may have a problem though is that recipes for tube pans are baked in the tube pan because it has high sides & the batter crawls up the sides (which is why you don't grease a tube pan- so the batter can cling to the pan to rise) so it may or may not rise correctly in a 9 X 13. You can either try it & see if it works, use 2 loaf (bread pans) b/c they tend to work well for tube pan recipes or pick a different cake recipe. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Never mind.  :D  It worked just fine.  Mmmm, banana pineapple cake.  It smells good, too.

OK, MommaJo, you replied before I finished typing.  ;) :D I'm going to post it anyways in case someone else has the same question in the future.

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 01:02:32 PM »
Thank you, HM!  :)

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 04:45:06 AM »
I'm looking for a recipe for a good yellow/white cake. A fluffy frosting to go along with it would be great. Doesn't have to be "healthy", just something homemade, so I don't have to use a cake mix.

It sure does look like birthday season around here!  :D

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 05:55:11 AM »
I'm looking for a recipe for a good yellow/white cake. A fluffy frosting to go along with it would be great. Doesn't have to be "healthy", just something homemade, so I don't have to use a cake mix.

It sure does look like birthday season around here!  :D

Here's a recipe from my gr. grandmother's card file dated Oct. 1940.  I love this cake recipe 'cuz it's easy.  It only makes one 9 in. pan, though, so you would need to double it for a layer cake or a 9 x 13 pan.

LAZY DAISY CAKE

2 eggs, lightly beaten
  1 cup sugar
  1 cup flour
  1 tsp. baking powder
  1 tsp. vanilla

Mix well, then add

1/2 cup scalded milk
  1 Tbs. butter

Beat lightly and pour into greased pan.  Bake @ 375* for 20 - 25 minutes.  Test with toothpick in center - should come out dry.

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13