Author Topic: Quality of Essential Oils: Purity & Strength  (Read 2132 times)

Offline adamslove

• Learning
Quality of Essential Oils: Purity & Strength
« on: August 22, 2007, 09:54:58 AM »
Hey, I'm new here and to the whole natural lifestyle thing, so I have a question:  Are all essential oils pretty much the same?  I ordered some tea tree oil from a company (San Francisco Herb), and a friend of mine raised some doubts in my mind about the purity and/or strength of it.  I hadn't even thought that some might be better than others.  Are there some standard questions I should ask before buying them from now on?

As a side note, I LOVE this website and have already "used" many of the recommendations on here with much success!  Thank you to all of you who are so much more knowledgeable (and willing to share) about this stuff than I am!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:51:39 AM by healthybratt »

Offline mommyof3

• Adept
    • Discovery Toys
Re: Quality of Essential Oils: Purity & Strength
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:30:50 AM »
I don't know about this.  ??? I also have been wondering myself  :D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:51:47 AM by healthybratt »

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:15:17 AM »
No,I believe they aren't. It would be a good thing to research, because I've read a while back that there are "imitation" essential oils out there where the companies don't let the customer know about the origion, sorry to say. Technology has come so far that there are ways to imitate almost any smell or taste.That is why it is easy to find different quality scents in perfume or lotions which makes one of the reasons why the prices rise or fall. I wish I could remember the principle book I read about all of this in... It was from the library through the inter library loan, or else I would check it out again because I remember what the book looks like,visual person that I am :D  One of the things I remember reading about is that they advised finding out what you can about the owners and producers of the oils. A person of integrity can usually tell if they are lier's or being false in any way. Friends and people you trust that sell essential oils would be more than willing to help you out in finding how to tell the difference in the purity too. I know that when my mother brought this question up to a health person over the phone, the lady was more than willing to help. Many health food stores would be a good place to ask that question as well. Does anyone know of some good web sites to go to to read up on this subject?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:51:57 AM by healthybratt »

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »
Here is an excellent article about what to look for in essential oils.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/what_makes_therapeutic.html

The article states that 98% of essential oils on the market include synthetics. An oil can legally be labeled 100% pure essential oil and still be 100% synthetic.

I always check the country of origin and will not buy any from China. I also check for the latin plant name and method of distillation.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:52:05 AM by healthybratt »