Author Topic: Jungle juice warning [Resolved]  (Read 3145 times)

Offline lhtown

• Learning
Jungle juice warning [Resolved]
« on: July 17, 2007, 03:34:44 PM »
OK, so here is the situation. We tried making our first batch of jungle juice for men.

We called the pharmacy (we are not in the US), and got a bottle of glycerin. I am guessing that it was synthesized from petroleum, but it was not in the original bottle and had no label. Anyway, being in a bit of a hurry and without any canning jars, we just put it in a recycled glass jar mixing in about 60% glycerin and 40% water and set it in our gas oven (turned off) for about 6 days or so. Then, instead of straining it through a cloth, we strained it through a sieve like for making tea.

After making the preparation, being on the tough side ;) I took a tablespoon of it straight without diluting it. Perhaps, that should be changed to say, I tried to take a tablespoon of it straight. As soon as it hit my mouth and throat, my throat swelled up (or so it felt), and I could barely breath. I had just enough air to gargle a wee bit, so I gargled a little bit to try to rinse it out of my throat. It happened so fast, I was only able to get down about half of the tablespoon. After a few minutes, the swelling went down and I was able to breathe normally again and with no other serious consequences other than maybe ruining my singing voice for a day or so. It did seem to bother my stomach some also.

I tried it later mixing it with some water a couple of times, but it seemed like it was still bothering my stomach a bit and perhaps affecting my throat also a bit.

It seems that whatever happened could have potentially been very dangerous.

Here is my question. Did I do something really wrong, or could I just be allergic to one of the herbs in the mix?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 03:15:59 AM by lhtown »

cecac

Re: Jungle juice warning
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 02:03:51 AM »
Is it possible that the unlabeled bottle you got was not veggie glycerin (or at least food grade veggie glycerin)?

Could you use apple cider vinegar or vodka to extract the herbs?  Or perhaps you could order your veggie glycerin online from a reputable source?

Those are just some observations.

HTH,
Cara

Offline lhtown

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 04:03:23 AM »
The Glycerin was from the pharmacy and is supposed to be what they use to make medicines. However, I suppose it is possible that it was only used for topical application as opposed to internal use.

Could using the wrong kind of glycerin produce the reaction described with the swelling of the throat and difficulty breathing, etc?

I am planning to try it again with something else, but I would like to get some input first.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:43:41 PM by lhtown »

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 08:25:01 AM »
You could always make a tea from the herbal mixture and try taking a little of that.  If it affects you it might be an allergy to the herbal mixture and if it doesn't I would assume it's the glycerine.  Just an idea.

-Heather

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 10:34:11 AM »
Ahhh. I had instructions for testing the herbs to see if you are allergic to them but I can't find them just yet. I'll keep looking for the exact instructions. I think what you can do is making a paste of the herbs; place it on your inner arm, just below your elbow; wrap with gauze; leave in place for 24 hours. If the area is red, itchy, or otherwise irritated, you are sensitive/possibly allergic to the herb(s).

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 02:29:46 PM »
Ahhh. I had instructions for testing the herbs to see if you are allergic to them but I can't find them just yet. I'll keep looking for the exact instructions. I think what you can do is making a paste of the herbs; place it on your inner arm, just below your elbow; wrap with gauze; leave in place for 24 hours. If the area is red, itchy, or otherwise irritated, you are sensitive/possibly allergic to the herb(s).

i think wearing any herbs on your arm for 24 hours, might make anyone itch.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lhtown

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 03:40:18 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. I am still looking for the answer, but I am suspecting the "glycerin" more and more. Please understand that I have never worked with glycerin before.

Can someone please describe for me the characteristics of  "good" glycerin such as taste, smell, color, viscosity, what happens when you pour it over the herbs, etc.?

I got some vodka to try it again, so I should have some better answers in a few weeks if nothing comes up before then.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 11:38:03 AM »
ihtown,

When I make a tincture, I use distilled water because it is important to use the purest water you can find. Chemicals and/or bacteria in the tap and/or other types of water can react with the container, the herbs or a combination of both. Also, sitting in a warm, wet environment with 'food' could encourage a hearty strain of organism to multiply.  :-X

It is also important that whatever you use to strain your herbs be very clean. That is why a freshly laundered cloth is recommended. Again, you don't want to introduce any bacteria into the tincture.

You may want to make a cup of tea using a tablespoon of the herbal mixture. Pour boiling water over the herbs into a teacup and cover with a saucer or small plate. Let it steep for 10 minutes or so and then take a small sip to see if you react to the tea. Wait for a couple of hours and note your response. If none, you might try taking a couple more sips. If you react to this, you likely are sensitive to one of the herbs in the mix.

Whether or not you react to the tea, I would definitely toss the tincture you've reacted to and then try one more test, being careful of any contaminants. Once your batch is ready, I wouldn't take more than 5 drops or so and wait for three hours to see if you have a reaction. If you react, then you can be sure that there is some herb in the mix to which you are allergic or sensitive. If you have no reaction, I would gradually increase the dose each day until you work up to a full dose or a dose with which you are comfortable.

If you are sensitive and/or allergic to the herbs, I would make a list of them and see about trying to find out which ones cause your reaction. You may be able to get an alternative blend without the herb that causes your reaction.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline lhtown

• Learning
Re: Jungle juice warning [Resolved]
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 03:26:13 AM »
OK, so here is the situation. We tried making our first batch of jungle juice for men.

We called the pharmacy (we are not in the US), and got a bottle of glycerin. I am guessing that it was synthesized from petroleum, but it was not in the original bottle and had no label. Anyway, being in a bit of a hurry and without any canning jars, we just put it in a recycled glass jar mixing in about 60% glycerin and 40% water and set it in our gas oven (turned off) for about 6 days or so. Then, instead of straining it through a cloth, we strained it through a sieve like for making tea.

After making the preparation, being on the tough side ;) I took a tablespoon of it straight without diluting it. Perhaps, that should be changed to say, I tried to take a tablespoon of it straight. As soon as it hit my mouth and throat, my throat swelled up (or so it felt), and I could barely breath. I had just enough air to gargle a wee bit, so I gargled a little bit to try to rinse it out of my throat. It happened so fast, I was only able to get down about half of the tablespoon. After a few minutes, the swelling went down and I was able to breathe normally again and with no other serious consequences other than maybe ruining my singing voice for a day or so. It did seem to bother my stomach some also.

I tried it later mixing it with some water a couple of times, but it seemed like it was still bothering my stomach a bit and perhaps affecting my throat also a bit.

It seems that whatever happened could have potentially been very dangerous.

Here is my question. Did I do something really wrong, or could I just be allergic to one of the herbs in the mix?

OK, I tried making this with a different base using the same herb pre-mix and nothing bad happened. I even tried taking it undiluted. Nothing bad happened. Actually, it had some positive effects, but that isn't the point of this post.

The problem was almost certainly that we used "glycerin" that wasn't actually glycerin.

Thanks to everyone for your help resolving this.

Lesson learned: when in countries that do funny stuff in their pharmacies, buyer beware. Similar, but potentially dangerous chemicals are sometimes substituted for glycerin.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:45:28 PM by lhtown »