Author Topic: Help...... Diaper bag necessities (herbal)  (Read 6372 times)

Offline 4lilkeepers

• Adept
Help...... Diaper bag necessities (herbal)
« on: January 24, 2007, 05:10:19 AM »
My 3 year old went to bed lastnight with a  severly stuffed up head, and woke up with a cough and a fever of 101.  As I sat pondering what to give her at two in the morning, I looked at my medicine cabinet and saw a bottle of Triaminic cough and a bottle of children's advil.  I have no idea how old they are, because my kids are rarely sick.  The more I thought about the sugar laden advil and the sugar laden triaminic I pushed them back in the cabinet and sought the natural stuff.  This got me to thinking.....

Most of us were probably raised to believe that fevers should be brought down quickly!  Ped.'s tell us to "keep their fevers down" (ironically, even after immunizations ??? How does this let their body fight off the infection, thus building immunities????) Anyways, I have never followed that advice since reading that fevers need to happen so that the body can fight the infection.  My kids  seem to always get over things quicker if I let the fever persist for as long as possible.

How in the world can advil and triaminic, with all their sugar, be good for fighting off stuff if it actually feeds it?.........(something else the medical establishments have conviently forgot to look into.

Anywasy, back to my original question.  What would  you recommend for the diaper bag?  Portable rememdies for fever, cough, bites, etc....  It would be nice to have a little kit of stuff so that rushing out to the store for some advil  isn't so appealing.

Sorry so long, I got on a ramble..... didn't get much sleep lastnight AND i'm 39 weeks pregnant........

4lilkeepers

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Help...... Diaper bag necessities (herbal)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 06:37:45 AM »
I keep tea tree oil in the diaper bag for bug bites.  My kids ask for it because it works so quickly for every kind of bite except flea bites (don't know why).

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 06:53:39 AM »
I keep tea tree oil in the diaper bag for bug bites.  My kids ask for it because it works so quickly for every kind of bite except flea bites (don't know why).

HB, do you apply it directly to the skin or do you dilute it somehow?  I often put it in the bathwater but I thought it would be too strong for the skin.  I didn't know it worked for bug bites.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 10:07:39 AM »

HB, do you apply it directly to the skin or do you dilute it somehow?  I often put it in the bathwater but I thought it would be too strong for the skin.  I didn't know it worked for bug bites.
I just put my finger over the bottle, tip and dab right on the spot.  I get the cheap stuff from Walmart if that makes a difference, but it works almost instantly.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline CKSMOM

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 11:13:52 AM »
One of my favorite herbal remedies to use for babies was catnip and fennel.  You can buy it as a combo from Nature's Sunshine.  Helps if babies are fussy, colicky, have tummy aches.  DO NOT SQUIRT IT DIRECTLY INTO BABIES MOUTH.  I did that once and baby choked. (maybe other people would know that already,but at the time I didn't).  I just put some on babies pacifier or a small spoon. We used it regularly.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 12:20:33 PM »
I would recomend a little container of Miracle Salve, it is good for just about any skin irritation including diaper rash, chapped lips, owies, etc.  You can find it at beeyoutiful.com or you could get another good salve at shoshannagardens.com

Hope that helps :)
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 04:34:57 PM »
I would recomend a little container of Miracle Salve, it is good for just about any skin irritation including diaper rash, chapped lips, owies, etc.  You can find it at beeyoutiful.com or you could get another good salve at shoshannagardens.com

Hope that helps :)
Yes, yes.  I love this stuff.  Works for owies, diaper rash (in a pinch), chapped lips and whatever.  I've even used it on my cats.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 10:04:59 PM »

[/quote]

I've always been taught that you have to dilute essential oils with a carrier oil - olive, jojoba, grapeseed, etc. - because the essential oil is so strong that you can develop an allergic reaction to it...could be a rash, but it could also be severe like an anaphylactic reaction or something. I may be wrong about this and someone correct me if I am, but I think it's like 5 drops of essential oil to 1 tsp of carrier oil.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 10:19:40 PM »

I just put my finger over the bottle, tip and dab right on the spot.  I get the cheap stuff from Walmart if that makes a difference, but it works almost instantly.
I've always been taught that you have to dilute essential oils with a carrier oil - olive, jojoba, grapeseed, etc. - because the essential oil is so strong that you can develop an allergic reaction to it...could be a rash, but it could also be severe like an anaphylactic reaction or something. I may be wrong about this and someone correct me if I am, but I think it's like 5 drops of essential oil to 1 tsp of carrier oil.

Megan,
1st, welcome to the forum. You are correct in that MOST ess oils DO have to be diluted to not stronger than 4% but a few of the ess oils can be used "neat" IE: not diluted on the skin. Tea tree, clove on bug bites, cuts, & gums for toothaches because it numbs, lavender, chamomile & there are a few others that I can't think of right now are all ones that can be used neat.

That being said, if you have someone with extremely sensitive skin tea tree & clove may need to be diluted. Also clove used for a for a teething baby would need to be diluted also. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 10:42:17 PM »
Thanks so much!! I didn't know that. The only thing I've made recently with essential oils has been with Pacholi and Eucalyptus oils. I guess they're just strong or something. Nice to know you don't have to take the time to mix all of them...I'll have to keep a list!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 10:45:04 PM »
Thanks so much!! I didn't know that. The only thing I've made recently with essential oils has been with Pacholi and Eucalyptus oils. I guess they're just strong or something. Nice to know you don't have to take the time to mix all of them...I'll have to keep a list!

Yes, both of those have to be diluted. Keep searching the forum & you will get a crash course. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 07:27:57 AM »
catnip tincture- for tummy aches, colic, cramps

calming tincture(use recipe from bulkherbstore)- for anxiety , hyperness, pain
(I gave this to my dd when she broke her ankle- that is all she took for pain for several hours. It didnt completely get rid of it but it did calm her and eased the pain a little. 

immune booster- for oncoming sickness (sore throat, fever)

arnica muscle rub- for bumps and bruise (this REALLY helps- if applied right after a muscle injury it helps you from being so sore later- just make sure you have a label on it that reminds you it is EXTERNAL use only)

and tummy tune up

this is all I have for now- I   would love to hear what others keep
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life