Author Topic: muscle cramps  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Lauralee

• Adept
muscle cramps
« on: August 20, 2007, 01:05:55 AM »
My dh had a shoulder muscle that hurt him quite badly. To the point where he could not move it without considerable pain. It lasted about five days. Then he got a severe cramp in his leg/calf that made his foot curve inward. It lasted a couple of minutes and now he still pain in that area. When I am prego I get severe muscle cramps in my calf just like that.
Do you think these two episodes are possibly related? He was womdering if it is a vitamin deficiency.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
Re: muscle cramps
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:26:34 AM »
Could be vit. K deff.  but from a Physical Therapy standpoint, the shoulder is most likely NOT a vitamin issue while the leg very likely could be.  Your Dh should watch it with his shoulder and ice if it seems swollen at all or painful . Rest it if it hurts again but try to get full motion in it.  Look up frozen shoulder and torn rotator cuff on the web and see if he had a mechanism of injury like the rotaor cuff tear would show.  I say to look up frozen shoulder syndrome because it is easy to let that happen if you are guarding your shoulder.  How is his shoulder doing now? If the leg prob. is recurrent he can do some calf stretches morning and night (similar to what a runner would do) that can help.  They help during pregnancy too.  I wish I knew of a good website where all these PT exercise pics are. HTH

Offline MyTwoCents

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:03:16 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I've been having none stop cramping and/or spasms over my entire body! It started on my neck, one day it just started to spasm and I figured I would just have to wait it out, rub some deep tissue oil on it, maybe take some relaxent and it would eventually go away, but it hasn't. Instead it has gone into my whole body! I get cramps where I didn't know you could get cramps ::) Anyway, it's been a month already and I'm so tired of not being able to sleep properly and just being in pain all the time :( DH has massaged it a few times already and it's not getting any better.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »
Try magnesium malate (oral dose to bowel tolerance - divided doses) and frequent magnesium baths (1-2 cups Epsom salt and 1/2 cup baking soda in a tub of warm water; soak at least 20 minutes).

Cramping can be due to mineral imbalance.  I find that magnesium and potassium (bananas/avocados) are very helpful.

The type of cramping you are describing sounds similar to what some folks have reported over at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/ due to oxalate toxicity.  You might want to check it out.  I recommend that you consider a Great Plains OAT test with an additional consult with Susan Owens (listowner of the site I just mentioned).  She is excellent at interpreting the GP OAT and explaining how to correct biochemical issues.

Hope you feel better soon!!