Author Topic: ok, so should I get the vaccine or not...  (Read 11649 times)

Offline panmamma

• Adept
    • Buy toys and Help our children's home build.....
ok, so should I get the vaccine or not...
« on: August 19, 2007, 07:08:40 PM »
ok, we made the 3hour one way trip to the closest foriegn affairs that handles these kinds of visas. Guess what?! we got there and they looked at my passport and my resident certficate card(ARC) and started making phone calls. Come to find out, last year when I had to get a visa renewed (I let my other one expire...oops!) the office in Hong Kong gave me a spouse visa, when I didn't apply for one. Not knowing we had one, we went and renewed my ARC under my missionary visa. Technically the office here in our county messed up cause they didn't look properly at my passport (could it be the guy at the immigration office was falling asleep while processing my papers...not once BUT THREE TIMES!!)......anyway, the office couldn't do anything so we had lunch and came back. Yes, total of 6hours thanks to the incompitence (sp?) of the immigration office here.
Now, remember before about needing to get a shot for rubella/german measles? a booster shot I assume. Well, I am not preggo (that's fine with me right now), so I could get the shot. BUT now that we already have the visa, it was "mistakenly" given and they didn't even look at my physical, I am not "required" to get it for anything other than I have no immunity to it. If I get it, then I would have to go on birth control pills for 3 months as you can't get preggo for 3 months after.........................so, should I go and get it or not worry about it? there was an outbreak of the measles in Japan, but not here..........any suggestions? what would you do?
Deana in Taiwan
married 11 wonderful years to Luke
mommy to 4 bilingual blessings
our websites: www.mlchome.org  
www.blessedtoys.com/members/mlchome/
www.homeschoolblogger.com/panshrmu

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
Re: ok, so should I get the vaccine or not...
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 04:17:41 AM »
Rubella is a very very mild disease. The only danger in it would be to a pregnant woman's fetus (IF she gets it while pregnant).

Do some research on Rubella.  :)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:28:51 AM »
Rubella can also leave boys sterile.  That is pretty major to us, but you and hubby have to make that call. 
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 08:25:17 PM »
Is it safe to get the rubella vaccine while breastfeeding??

Offline Wing

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 06:12:44 AM »
Here are some quotes from the following link with studies and personal experiences: http://vaclib.org/email/autismom.htm

Dr. Edward Yazbak has done a lot of work with mothers who received live virus vaccines either just before and during pregnancy, and postpartum. He found that rubella virus is transmitted to the infant in breastmilk, and can heighten a baby's risk of developing autism spectrum disorders if he/she is subsequently vaccinated. Our recent newsletter reported on his lecture on this topic given at the NVIC Conference last September.

Dr. Yazbak devised a questionnaire that was posted on the internet by Dawn Richardson, president of PROVE (Parents Requesting Open Vaccine Education). He received 400 responses in a few weeks. " Very quickly I realized that some women had been vaccinated just around pregnancy with disastrous results." His research has focused on what happens to children whose mothers have been vaccinated before or during pregnancy and shortly after birth. The vaccine challenge to the mother's immune system can subsequently impact on her children, predisposing them to immune and neurological insult when they themselves are then vaccinated in infancy and childhood.

He talked about immune fragility around pregnancy. Women whose rubella titers have declined are told they should get rubella vaccine after birth but are not told that the live rubella virus is secreted in her milk. The immunological consequences to infants exposed to live rubella virus during breastfeeding, and who are then subsequently vaccinated with live virus vaccine has not been studied, until Dr. Yazbak began to investigate these cases. Not a single woman of the 400 he studied was informed that rubella virus passes through to the baby in her breast milk. According to Merck's product monograph, it is not known whether live measles and mumps virus is also secreted during lactation, but caution is urged during nursing.

"What happens to women that are vaccinated postpartum? This is what I have found - totally new findings. Several healthy mothers get vaccinated and horrible things begin to happen. They develop symptoms of arthritis, of thyroid, and other immune difficulties, but more importantly they start having still births and miscarriages. I'm saying this for the first time. I'm relating obstetrical failure to immune insults from a vaccine. After all this is said and done, they are still rubella and measles susceptible and even worse, they have an unbelievable incidence of autism in their children, plus other disabilities. So we have to have serious studies that look at the immune fragility of women around pregnancy. This is not a good time to give vaccines to anybody. She has enough on her mind having a baby."

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:11:56 PM »
WOW! Thanks!

Meagan

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 05:05:25 PM »
I posted on here some time ago about my Rubella titer being low when I was pregnant with Judah, and the Dr wanting me to be vaccinated with it after he was born. Now I didn't do that because of the problems it causes in mom, and because it passes through breastmilk and on to baby. My question now is: Judah's almost 8 mo. old, I want to nurse him for at least a year before getting pregnant again and I'm gonna try to keep nursing him even while I'm pregnant, but when exactly am I suppost to get this vaccine? I'm not really inclined at all to get it, but I just don't want to put my baby at risk while I'm pregnant. I don't really think I'd be exposed to it anyway. Has anyone else had to deal with this??

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 06:29:25 PM »
I posted on here some time ago about my Rubella titer being low when I was pregnant with Judah, and the Dr wanting me to be vaccinated with it after he was born. Now I didn't do that because of the problems it causes in mom, and because it passes through breastmilk and on to baby. My question now is: Judah's almost 8 mo. old, I want to nurse him for at least a year before getting pregnant again and I'm gonna try to keep nursing him even while I'm pregnant, but when exactly am I suppost to get this vaccine? I'm not really inclined at all to get it, but I just don't want to put my baby at risk while I'm pregnant. I don't really think I'd be exposed to it anyway. Has anyone else had to deal with this??

I haven't dealt with this personally but IMHO, I wouldn't do it.  A friend got this and it went through her breast milk and her son has never been the same.  Lots of food allergies and struggles with the tummy.  I would let it go and not worry about it.  If you're really concerned, get it when your done having kids.  If you haven't vac'd your son or are not going to, the risk would be the same.  If you are concerned about getting it when you're pregnant then you could just get the one that matters (can't remember if it's the measles or rubella you'll have to check).  They can do single vacs and there is only one that is a risk to an unborn baby.  There is far less risk to your child if you only get the one. 

JMHO

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline refreshed

• Adept
    • Haven Baptist Fellowship
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 08:23:08 PM »
I have always had a low rubella titer, even though I got the booster shot when I was a teen.  I have had 4 children and currently am pregnant with number 5.  I have decided not to get the booster.  After my husband and I researched vaccines, we decided not to get them for our children and part of the reason is exactly the fact that even though I always got all my shots as a kid, I am still not immune to certain things.  I have been around a suspected case of rubella while I was pregnant and though I cannot be sure, I believe I had a small case of it.  It's hard to know though because the symptoms in adults are so similiar to a cold or the flu.  My babies are all fine.  Now whether that is because I didn't get the disease or because I didn't get them vaccinated, I don't know.  I just keep trusting the Lord to keep their health and do the best I can to help that along.  Hope that helps.
Check out our family's and church website:
www.havenbaptistfellowship.com

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 05:06:26 AM »
With my 2nd baby it looked like I had lost my ruebella immunity.  The doc wanted to give me the shot after I delivered.  I said no thanks.  Then never got around to it with the rest of the kids, before or after.  So far we've been ok!  I know that's not exactly scientific but we just weighed the options and the risks and trusted that we were making a good decision for our family.

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 05:44:38 AM »

You are putting your baby at risk if you do get the vaccine.  So you should prayerfully weigh the options - PUT the baby at risk by getting the vaccine, or MAYBE put the baby at risk if you don't.

Question???  I have never known that my ruebella titer was being taken - do they automatically do this when you have blood drawn when you are pregnant???  I guess I never thought about what they were looking for with that blood, except of course iron levels (mine are always low.)

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 07:06:44 AM »
Meaghan,

I am the "friend" that Patti referred to and I would wholeheartedly encourage you to decline any vacc's while you are pg or nursing.  If you really think it is a vacc you want/need then wait until you are in between pregnancies and it is safe to do so.  The effect it had on my little guy who is now 7 was amazing and and it has been a long, rough road.  I only thank God that I had the sense to not vacc him directly or I believe it would have thrown him into full blown autism. 

In hindsight it frustrates me that they don't tell mom's that it transfers through breastmilk - I should have used my own brain but as someone earlier mentioned, you aren't exactly thinking in those first few hours postpartem.

Hope this helps,
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 10:50:06 AM »

When I was pregnant with one of my children (not sure which one but I think #3) I was told that mine was low also and that I needed to be vaccinated as soon as possible. Well, I didn't do it. When I got pregnant again, I waited to see if they would say anything but no one did. So next time around, I asked about it and the Dr. looked at my chart and said, "No, you are fine." I was so thankful that I didn't follow through. I guess my advice would be that if you feel you should get it, have the test done again with a different Dr. I'm just glad I skipped it.

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 04:52:56 PM »
Okay, I totally agree with all of you, and no they didn't say anything to me except that I couldn't get it while I was pregnant, that I'd have to wait until the baby was born. And they definitly didn't tell me that it would come through my breastmilk, but that it was fine and safe!

I'm not getting him or any of my future kids for that matter vaccinated until they're 2 yrs. old. At least that's what I'm thinking now. I want to do some more research on it to decide if I totally want to decline all vaccines or what. As of now I know to get them all individually not as combo shots, and to request the mercury free vaccines. Now there are many of them that I definitly won't get because there aren't any major problems if the child does get it, it's just the ones that can cause problems or be life threatening that I'm concerned about. Anyways, I'm a Registered Nurse at our local ER - not working now because I'm staying home with my little guy, but I've had a really strong debat with one ER doc who told me that he thought anyone who didn't vaccinate there children was an irresponsible parent and should be held liable if something happens to the child because they got one of the diseases. It was a long discussion, and neither of us ever agreed on anything so it was really pointless.

Now as far as blood draws go when your pregnant CountyCork, they test you blood for a ton of stuff. Like I said, I'm an RN so I looked my results up myself. I can't remember everything but they tested me for my thyroid, immunities - esp. rubella - drugs, HcG, normal blood levels (WBC, RBC, Hgb) and a lot of other things. They didn't tell me they were testing me for anything other than the normal blood levels.

Offline Darcy

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 11:40:16 AM »
When I was pregnant with my first, my midwife did the blood work for me. When it came back, I found out that I was immune to rubella. FUnny thing is, I was never vaccinated as a child and have never actually had the disease. A few weeks later my sister, who was also pregnant, got her results back and found out that she, too, was immune to rubella. But she also was never vaccinated nor had the disease. We've both had blood work done since then and the results are always the same. My midwife was puzzled yet fascinated as we tried to research why this would be so. The only thing we could think of was the fact that our mom had rubella as a teen and could have passed the immunity on to us. When asking doctors about it, I usually get the answer, "that's impossible. You either had the disease or you had the vax." They cannot seem to think outside the box of their medical books. My question is, is it possible that my mom passed on her immunity or is something else going on here? And if it is possible, then what else may be possible that "they" don't know about??

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 11:01:24 AM »
My question is not for myself but my two kids.   I have found a good pediatrician that is very relaxed about vaccines.   He is recommending that I get the DTap for my 3 1/2 dd - she has had no prior vaccinations and the Hib for my 4 mo ds.   They only use mercury free vaccines but I still am a bit unsure.   My daughter is and has been super healthy - BUT we do live in the country and have a horse pasture right next to us - hence the possible need for Tetanus.   I was told that it cannot be isolated for kids' vaccines.    As for the Hib, the pediatrican said that if he was to give one shot, this would be it.   Meningitis totally scares me and yes, I know it is rare, but it is certainly nothing to mess with.   Are there risk factors even with the no-mercury shots?   Any other thoughts out there?   Thanks!

Offline beelover

• Learning
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 01:21:07 PM »
here is an excellent link that will help  you make an informed decision as to whether  or not to vaccinate.  They also have a book  that is easy to read that is well worth the money. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »
My question is not for myself but my two kids.   I have found a good pediatrician that is very relaxed about vaccines.   He is recommending that I get the DTap for my 3 1/2 dd - she has had no prior vaccinations and the Hib for my 4 mo ds.   They only use mercury free vaccines but I still am a bit unsure.   My daughter is and has been super healthy - BUT we do live in the country and have a horse pasture right next to us - hence the possible need for Tetanus.   I was told that it cannot be isolated for kids' vaccines.    As for the Hib, the pediatrican said that if he was to give one shot, this would be it.   Meningitis totally scares me and yes, I know it is rare, but it is certainly nothing to mess with.   Are there risk factors even with the no-mercury shots?   Any other thoughts out there?   Thanks!

There is a big thread on here about tetanus and how to treat it naturally if one does get it.  I would become very familiar with what it says.  They are lying, tetanus can be given alone, I have a friend who did it.  All  I can say, is research everything you can find.  Read every thread on WTM about vaccines.  Read Dr. Sherry Tenpenny.  I have 3 children damaged by vaccines.  Not autistic, but food allergies out of this world, one on the autism spectrum (almost a savant), and one with extreme sensory issues.  I wouldn't take that chance again if they told me they'd take my life if I didn't do it.  Fine, take my life.  You will not get a needle in my kids.    I would just really cuation you against this. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline beelover

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »
Sorry somehow it did not work when I pasted the link here  is the link on vaccines  http://www.thinktwice.com/