Author Topic: Cultural [Ethnic] Superstitions, Wives Tales, Myths & Health Traditions: Fact or Fiction?  (Read 64467 times)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
I REMEMBERED ANOTHER ONE!! If you look at a dog while it's pooping you'll get a sty in your eye!!

I thought they were crazy..everytime i would get a sty my hubby/mil/friend (all of the mexican persuasion) would ask me if i watched my dog poop!!

yesterday i was outside with my kids and they said "Look what Chico's (our dog) doing!!" so i looked and he was pooping...i didn't WATCH but i saw...and this morining i woke up with a sty...NO JOKE!! never fails... :P

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
I REMEMBERED ANOTHER ONE!! If you look at a dog while it's pooping you'll get a sty in your eye!!

I thought they were crazy..everytime i would get a sty my hubby/mil/friend (all of the mexican persuasion) would ask me if i watched my dog poop!!

yesterday i was outside with my kids and they said "Look what Chico's (our dog) doing!!" so i looked and he was pooping...i didn't WATCH but i saw...and this morining i woke up with a sty...NO JOKE!! never fails... :P

Must have something to do with THINKING you're going to get one. I've never had a sty in my life and have seen more than one dog to that! You should NOT have told us, kittyninja!! ::)

cecac

Must have something to do with THINKING you're going to get one. I've never had a sty in my life and have seen more than one dog to that! You should NOT have told us, kittyninja!! ::)

LOL, maybe you didn't watch long enough, lotsaboys.  Come on, next time make sure you watch long enough just to test it out for us.......as if you don't have enough stuff to remember!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master

LOL, maybe you didn't watch long enough, lotsaboys.  Come on, next time make sure you watch long enough just to test it out for us.......as if you don't have enough stuff to remember!!

I think your "rememberer" works better than mine- we'll wait for you to test and report! :D

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
I'm not joking guys...it's happened more than once. i know i am sounding crazier and crazier but i really don't stand around thinking..."hmmm i wonder if i am going to get a sty?" the weird thing is...my kids didn't get one and they looked too...in fact i think they watched :P! ok this is pretty gross...

cecac

I'm not joking guys...it's happened more than once. i know i am sounding crazier and crazier but i really don't stand around thinking..."hmmm i wonder if i am going to get a sty?" the weird thing is...my kids didn't get one and they looked too...in fact i think they watched :P! ok this is pretty gross...

And my dh wants to know.......what if you watched a cow?

:o :o
Cara

But I will say I'm not laughing about your sties, kittyninja.  I hope you really get that one figured out--that must be painful.

Offline LKS

• Master
I think this needs a new thread: watching animals poop....health indications?
LKS

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
More (hope I'm not repeating)...

If you let a baby see itself in a mirror, it will have a really hard [painful] time teething.

Don't sweep dirt out the door after dark or you will be "sweeping out" a loved one (someone will die).

Don't wash clothes on new years day or you will loose a family member sometime that year. (Granny Trudy said she did this once and her dad died that year -- she had washed the suit they buried him in).

Don't cut a child's hair before they are one year old -- bad luck.

Don't cut their fingernails with anything metal or they will become a thief.

Whatever you do on New Years Day is what you will do the most for the rest of the year.

Ok, I think I'm straying away from health related superstitions.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Here are some from my Korean MIL.

Don't give a knife to a friend or they will become your enemy.  (You have to sell it to them.  I got the coolest knife, I've ever owned.  It will chop anything and you can sharpen it over and over again.  It came from Chicago in the Korean district and I had to buy it from my MIL for a quarter.  ;D)

Don't cut your fingernails (or toenails) after dark or you'll be poor.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
My mom reminded me of a couple that are related to the one about whatever you do on new years day you will do all year long.

She said that you should never spend money on new years day or you will be broke all year ["broke" is Southern for "aint got no money"]. But if you bring money into your house on new years day then you will have money all year.

She said, the day before new years, she used to take money and put it outside and then whenever she went left the house, as she came back in, she would bring in some of the money.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!