Author Topic: Cultural [Ethnic] Superstitions, Wives Tales, Myths & Health Traditions: Fact or Fiction?  (Read 64027 times)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
Oh heres one from my husbands side of the family...it's was more of a ritual.
  There were certain women who knew how to do this lower back massage thingy. When a kid swallowed a piece of gum- the parents would take the kid to this lady and she would have them swallow a blue pill (?) and then she would smear oil on there lower backs and proceed to massage it hard. She would then grab the skin really tight and snap it. It was supposed to loosed the gum from the stomach so it would pass.
   My mom  in law said her and her siblings all had this done to them and they don't know if it actually worked but they all now have lower back issues. and she says the blue pill had lead... :o ???

also when the soft spot on a baby was too sunken in they would turn the baby upside down, smack em on the feet and turn them back upright to fix the soft spot- la mollera.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
Loved reading all these!

My grandma always said a new mom has one foot in the grave until 6 weeks postpartum.

And after laughing at some older women who told me NOT to get my hands cold during nursing because I'd get breast infection I did that very thing- once after hanging out clothes in cold weather and once after organizing a freezer.

I've been told not to tickle babies too much- makes them stutter someday.

Offline SarahK

• Master
My grandma always said a new mom has one foot in the grave until 6 weeks postpartum.

Golly, my life has been full of near-death experiences & I never knew it...
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Daniel's Cousin

• Adept

You're a walking miracle ;D.
And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13

Offline lotsaboys

• Master

You're a walking miracle ;D.

Yep, me too. She told me that after I had the twins and was up and around sooner than she thought I should be. ;) (AND that wasn't even very early with them.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 08:22:27 AM by lotsaboys »

JoyInHim

OH MY!!!!    :o

Now, where on earth would this have originated?  Just cannot get over these!  Lol!

Oh heres one from my husbands side of the family...it's was more of a ritual.
  There were certain women who knew how to do this lower back massage thingy. When a kid swallowed a piece of gum- the parents would take the kid to this lady and she would have them swallow a blue pill (?) and then she would smear oil on there lower backs and proceed to massage it hard. She would then grab the skin really tight and snap it. It was supposed to loosed the gum from the stomach so it would pass.
   My mom  in law said her and her siblings all had this done to them and they don't know if it actually worked but they all now have lower back issues. and she says the blue pill had lead... :o ???

also when the soft spot on a baby was too sunken in they would turn the baby upside down, smack em on the feet and turn them back upright to fix the soft spot- la mollera.

JoyInHim

Oh, yes!  My BROTHER's MIL (we are close :D) chastised me when I was hanging crey paper for his baby shower, and I was pregnant as well.  She said the cord would tangle.  I must have given her the funniest look......

(one third of all babies are born with a cord around their necks.)
Pregnancy- Don't raise your arms over your head while pregnant.  It will make the umbilical cord wrap around the baby's neck.    ??
My MIL has been very upset with me over raising my arms over my head.  I was also banned from picking strawberries from a neighbor this summer because the cord would wrap around the baby if I bent over or crawled.  A quick anatomy/physiology lesson was a waste of breath in both cases!

JoyInHim

Hi Laura!  I usually 'see' you over at 7xS.! 

I have to agree.  In fact, we UP the showers and baths when someone is sick.  I require more of them for my kiddos - with a couple drops of TTO in the shower with them.

It truly seems to help to inhale that steam, regardless of what they are fighting.
I was raised not to wash your hair when you are sick. Having a wet head will increase your chances of getting sicker, catching a chill etc. Probably some truth to that but you already feel bad enough being sick why be greasy too?  :P
LKS

I think for me taking a shower when I am sick helps me get better faster, one thing for sure is that I feel SO much better, there is nothing like taking a shower after having a nasty case of the stomach flu!

JoyInHim

Lol!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Most moms swim LOTS when they are pregnant - my OB used to say it was the best exercise and the weightlessness is good for the back!

I dunno if this has been mentioned but I remember hearing that we should not submerge ourselves in water( bathing or swimming) during pregnancy because it could drown the baby.

I guess the ppl who made that one up did not realize that the baby actually lives in a bag of water inside of us. LOL.

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
I second that, swimming is awesome when preggo.  I used to "run" laps in the shallower end, that went up to my ribcage, and the weighlessness helped so much to keep me from swelling in the TX heat.  I loved it!  Miss it!

quote author=JoyInHim link=topic=11433.msg105978#msg105978 date=1187893936]
Lol!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Most moms swim LOTS when they are pregnant - my OB used to say it was the best exercise and the weightlessness is good for the back!

I dunno if this has been mentioned but I remember hearing that we should not submerge ourselves in water( bathing or swimming) during pregnancy because it could drown the baby.

I guess the ppl who made that one up did not realize that the baby actually lives in a bag of water inside of us. LOL.

[/quote]
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline panmamma

• Adept
    • Buy toys and Help our children's home build.....
well, the chinese shave babies heads around 12 days of age, sometimes a little later. it's supposed to help the hair grow back thicker and better.....

for after a baby is born, mom has all these chinese medicine concotions, especially chicken soup with rice wine.... oh the smell makes me gag.... i do get some of the stuff they are too drink for nutrition lost....... but still.......  oh, after having ds1 our church members (female members that is) brought a pot of stewed pig feet and peanuts...........and taught my dh how to make it (they felt they HAD to do something for the poor american mom who wasn't following the laws of the land!!)....oh, the smell to this day is in my nose............ i couldn't eat pig feet.......oh the concotion was for nursing moms, helps with milk flow?? i can't honestly tell you if it helped or not.......

right now is Ghost month in Taiwan and so the superstitions are worse and down right scary at times..
Deana in Taiwan
married 11 wonderful years to Luke
mommy to 4 bilingual blessings
our websites: www.mlchome.org  
www.blessedtoys.com/members/mlchome/
www.homeschoolblogger.com/panshrmu

SagorFamily1611

Does anyone know if this is true or not:
My mom always told me that when your stomach is growling, it is not "crying for food" but it is actually returning to it's normal size. I went on a 2 day juice cleanse on Mon & Tues and the whole time my tummy was growling, but I wan't hungry, and it was always growling, which you would think that after 2 days it would be back in it's normal size already? (Lost 6 lbs by the way! :D)

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
Does anyone know if this is true or not:
My mom always told me that when your stomach is growling, it is not "crying for food" but it is actually returning to it's normal size. I went on a 2 day juice cleanse on Mon & Tues and the whole time my tummy was growling, but I wan't hungry, and it was always growling, which you would think that after 2 days it would be back in it's normal size already? (Lost 6 lbs by the way! :D)

It's not really "crying for food".  It's comes from the contractions of the muscles in the intestinal tract.  Here's a more technical description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borborygmus

SagorFamily1611

Thanks! Now I know why sometimes I get that feeling right after eating! I used to get it after eating eggs, so I would tell my mom I needed more than eggs for breakfast because they "went right through me" :D

SagorFamily1611

Just thought of another one: Every hair stylist I have ever been to tells me that cutting the tips off your hair every five weeks or so helps it grow faster and stay healthier. Now how is this possible if the only part of our hair that is alive is the root that is in your head? Is this just a gimmic to get more women into the barber shop more often or is it true?

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
In my experience, when I cut my hair every 5 or 6 weeks, it just gets shorter and shorter.  The only way to grow out my hair, is to just let it be, and cut it every couple of months.  My newest hair dresser told me my ends looked just fine and healthy, and a haircut could definitely wait.   
I think they're just taught that we need cuts so often in beauty school because a lot of women fry their hair with way too many  chemicals, and the ends get really dry and frayed.  It doesn't hurt business, either!   ;D

Offline joyofthelord

• Adept
I read that the reason your hair grows faster after a haircut, is because of the head massage you get when they wash your hair, as it stimulates the follicles.  That I can believe.

Just thought of another one: Every hair stylist I have ever been to tells me that cutting the tips off your hair every five weeks or so helps it grow faster and stay healthier. Now how is this possible if the only part of our hair that is alive is the root that is in your head? Is this just a gimmic to get more women into the barber shop more often or is it true?

SagorFamily1611

I read that the reason your hair grows faster after a haircut, is because of the head massage you get when they wash your hair, as it stimulates the follicles.  That I can believe.

I wondered about that too as I have heard that a great way to keep your hair healthy is to massage it for just 5 minutes every day. http://possumsal.homestead.com/Hair/Healthie.html

My DH was telling me yesterday how he loves my hair, and asked me what I was doing to keep it healthy. I told him what I was doing now and then told him about the link up above, and told him if he gave me the head massage everyday I would give him a really good back massage. So he massaged my head yesterday and it felt SO good. I carry all my stress and anxiety in my head (plus the weight of hair) and he in his back, so it's a perfect trade off! :D

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
More old country wives tales from my family...

If you have a wart, pick at it 'til it bleeds, put the blood on a corn kernel, feed it to a chicken, and the wart will go away. (This sometimes works because when you pick at the wart it will stimulate your immune system to attack the virus that causes the wart)

If you have chicken pox stand in front of the chicken coop door and have someone chase the chickens out so that they fly over your head. I have an uncle with a scar on his forehead from trying that one.

If you are pregnant, don't touch your face while you are scared or startled because you will mark the baby (cause the baby to have a birthmark there).

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
More old country wives tales from my family...

If you have a wart, pick at it 'til it bleeds, put the blood on a corn kernel, feed it to a chicken, and the wart will go away. (This sometimes works because when you pick at the wart it will stimulate your immune system to attack the virus that causes the wart)

If you are pregnant, don't touch your face while you are scared or startled because you will mark the baby (cause the baby to have a birthmark there).WR

My mom was born in Chile and she was told to cut the wart til it bleeds and then dab it with bread and feed it to a toad. ;D ;D isn't that funny?

i have also heard the birthmark one too...don't know from where though...
 kittyninja

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
Re: Cultural [Ethnic] Superstitions, Wives Tales, Myths & Health Traditions: Fac
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2007, 02:34:52 PM »

It doesn't make your hair grow faster, but it does make what you have look fuller and healthier (if you had split ends).  It's sort of a visual illusion.  It looks thicker and fuller, so people think it's growing faster.

Offline iseeitdifferently

• Learning
  • it didn't last long...the mowhawk there...
    • Hand Me A Scalpel
My mom's been a hair stylist for more than 20 years and I'll tell you that that is bunk, i.e. cutting your tips makes your hair grow faster. 

For me, the sweaty summer time seems to stimulate more and quicker hair growth....but then maybe that's a wives tale, ida know.
mark jr.
"The church that isn't praying is playing."
Leonard Ravenhill.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Cultural [Ethnic] Superstitions, Wives Tales, Myths & Health Traditions: Fac
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2007, 07:12:37 AM »
I think the reason it may appear that your hair grows more is because if you allow the broken ends to continue, they split further and further up the follicle which causes your hair to break, thin and shorten.  So, based on this it doesn't acutally grow faster, it breaks less which amounts to the same thing in the end because you're allowing your growth to remain unhindered.  Just a guess here..but I know that if I get a split (layer) in a fingernail, that if I don't chop it off under the split, it will continue to layer and split into the new growth and the nail never gets longer because the layers continue to tear and break off; but if I cut it off and allow it to grow without a split, the length will soon become apparent.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
My mom said that Granny wouldn't let her or her sisters touch the pepper sauce (peppers pickled in vinegar) when they were on their period. She said it would ruin it. They had to let someone else get it for them. I've heard the same thing about other pickled foods.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2007, 06:31:42 PM »
My mom said that Granny wouldn't let her or her sisters touch the pepper sauce (peppers pickled in vinegar) when they were on their period. She said it would ruin it. They had to let someone else get it for them. I've heard the same thing about other pickled foods.

WR
Isn't that Kosher?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
She did it because she said there was something about you when you are on your period that would cause pickles to ruin if you were poking around touching them.

I've also heard that there's something about a woman on her period that, if she goes fishing and touches the bait, will attract big fish.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2007, 03:15:16 AM »

I've also heard that there's something about a woman on her period that, if she goes fishing and touches the bait, will attract big fish.

WR

LOL. :D

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2007, 03:18:51 AM »

WR

LOL. :D

I know. Sounds silly, but they say it works (something about her sent on the bait). Never tried it myself.
WR
Who Needs God?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2007, 05:03:47 AM »
She did it because she said there was something about you when you are on your period that would cause pickles to ruin if you were poking around touching them.

WR
My grandma told me her mom always told them the same thing with their saurkraut barrel. (appalachia gal) She being the person she is  :) had to test that theory and just got kraut anyway. Nothing happened. With that theory debunked she continued to do it for years. Wonder how that got started?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2007, 06:00:50 AM »

WR
My grandma told me her mom always told them the same thing with their saurkraut barrel. (appalachia gal) She being the person she is  :) had to test that theory and just got kraut anyway. Nothing happened. With that theory debunked she continued to do it for years. Wonder how that got started?

Makes you wonder if hand washing was/is popular in some cultures!    :o :o :o
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13