Author Topic: Cultural [Ethnic] Superstitions, Wives Tales, Myths & Health Traditions: Fact or Fiction?  (Read 64537 times)

JoyInHim

Ew!  You mean, 'don't wash your face or hair for 5 days!!!?'   :P

Nothing feels as good as a nice hot shower at least daily, in my opinion!

I feel daring if I skip washing my hair one day...and by the days end I am wishing I hadn't!  :-\
Here's one from my family (southern hillbilly)... Don't get your head wet while on your period. Anyone ever heard of that? I've always scoffed at most stuff like that, but still feel daring if I wash my hair during that time of the month.
WR

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Yep. Well actually you can wash your face, just not your hair, and don't go in the rain, or get your hair wet any other way.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Yeah, I've heard that.  Just to not take a shower the whole time.  Sorry.  If cleanliness is next to godliness then I'm particularly holy, especially during that week.   :D

And I'm the same about having to wash my face every day.  I have to exfoliate and moisturize or I am COVERED in dry dead skin.  Ick!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru

1)  Staying warm during menses:
My Chinese neighbor tells me she never swims on her menses, because it is bad to allow your body to get cold at all during that 5 days or so.  I laughed because I swim right after my babies are born (careful about infection prevention, of course) as well as all during the month.  I had never heard this before. 
However: it may make some sense to me, considering the menses is related to blood flow (of course) and cold (or a cold dip) definitely can effect this.  She couldn't tell me 'why' it might be bad to 'get cold' during menses, only that she never does because it is unhealthy.  Anyone?

I know that swimming in water below 90*, getting chilled- especially my feet, or heavy lifting during the 3 days of heaviest menstrual flow gives me painful menses the next month with huge clots.  :P

Offline Syrena

• Learning
A few 'health myths' I heard from people who grew up in Korea: (Disclaimer: I know not all people from Korea believe these but they do seem to be pretty widespread).

Sleeping with your head facing a fan will suck your breath away and kill you. (I should be dead. I do this every summer night).

Eating Kimchee will prevent you from getting the Bird Flu. (Though I'm not convinced, I do know Kimchee has great intestinal health benefits).

Eating Dog meat in the summer will prevent you from sweating. (I think I'll continue sweating, thanks).

~Syrena

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
But the Swiss (and others, like Jethro Kloss of 'Back to Eden') felt hot to cold to hot was excellent for stimulating the system daily.  In fact, Kloss recommends daily skin rubs (with a brush) and cold water (ICE cold) showers, every morning, first thing.

And he also is an avid supporter of SOY and vegetarian diets!  ::)  I did find his entry on baths helpful though. What warm and cold and hot water do to your system, circulation, & particular organs if you place warm/cold compresses over them. I for one could NOT take a cold shower every morning!!
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline panmamma

• Adept
    • Buy toys and Help our children's home build.....
ok, gotta share...I have lived in Taiwan 11years now and 10years of those as a Taiwan daughter in law...so I hear alot!!

1. during pregnancy--no coffee or soy sauce, baby will become dark skinned (I have a friend who truly believes her dd is dark because of drinking coffee before she realized she was preggo).....drinking milk will cause the baby to have paler skin (considered beauty in Taiwan)......now, the next is superstitions... not allowed to use scissors, hammer a nail, go swimming and such. If they are non Christians, preggo women don't/forbidden to touch another baby (every baby in the womb or not has a "spirit" and if the mom touches another baby the unborn babies spirit will get upset and cause problems).

2. after birth-- no shower, cold water, cold air nothin' for 30 days after the baby is born. they wrap the stomachs too (now I am sorta wishing I had! maybe my gut would be a little smaller).....my boys were born in the hot season....I kept cool.....my last child, I stayed inside for a month in order to avoid comments. Now if I say I have a headache or something, it gets blamed on my not "sitting the month"

3. let's see, green beans (green bean soup...green bean drinks) keep you cool in the summer, red beans will keep you warm in the winter (i think I got that right)

4. as for education....it used to be that kids were not allowed to pick up pencils, scissors, markers, etc. until like 1st grade (as a kindergarten teacher then I got into some big discussions with the co teacher).... they say using the muscles too early will affect their writing Chinese ability (and the Chinese are serious about writing their language nicely)

5. cold drinks will give you a cold; no swimming during that time of the month; if you have a cold, no oranges (a cold food in the Chinese medicine), but you should drink milk (dr's here will not tell you this though)........ my sil got onto me for giving my young son water while he had diarrehea....water will make it worse (ok, i didn't follow her advice!!)

oh, there are tons more....... about the food....last night dh and I went to 7-11 for a midnight snack, I bought ice cream and he bought..... roasted squid!

oh, Chinese say dark skinned dogs taste better.......I don't know from experience!!
Deana in Taiwan
married 11 wonderful years to Luke
mommy to 4 bilingual blessings
our websites: www.mlchome.org  
www.blessedtoys.com/members/mlchome/
www.homeschoolblogger.com/panshrmu

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
These are hilarious, especially as I grew up overseas and can relate.  We had a maid in Venezuela that refused to do ironing during her time of the month.  She insisted that the heat wasn't healthy for her.  She had some other ones that I can't recall at the moment.  I do remember that anyone that got sick would refuse ice in their drinks, which I always thought was odd.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
Still today in some Native American cultures they announce to the crowed at their Pow Wows that any women on their periods can not enter the dance circle and dance. I asked some people about that because it was not something I had heard before I went to this one Pow Wow. They told me it has to do with the "power" that surrounds a woman during that time of the month.

I have been to 4 Pow wows so far this summer and none of them announced that this year. I think it must just be some of the NA cultures/tribes  and not all of them

I don't know about power during that time of the month other then the power of     " you better stay out of my way or I'm gonna...................."  power. Now that is power! LOL.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Eating Kimchee will prevent you from getting the Bird Flu. (Though I'm not convinced, I do know Kimchee has great intestinal health benefits).
There is actually probably some truth to this.  I've done some research on the bird flu and it gets it's power to hurt the body in much the same way an autoimmune disease.  If the immune system is working properly, the bird flu shouldn't hurt you any more than a a cut on your big toe, but if you have a tendency towards inflammation and autoimmunity, the bird flu will kick the wrong side of your immune system in to overdrive and your body will in essence kill itself. :o
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
1. during pregnancy--no coffee or soy sauce, baby will become dark skinned
Um...this is hilarious.  My oldest is so light skinned she's almost clear and I drank pots and pots of coffee with her.  I worked 2nd shift at a hotel desk.  No coffee and I would have been asleep behind the desk.  LOL  Coffee does make the little ones active when they're inside tho.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

JoyInHim

Me too.   ;) 

I'm just waiting for the jury to return on the latest fad against soy - I am sure within a year or two the 'scientists' will be again saying, oh, soy is actually good for you.

It doesn't make sense to feed a baby anything other than breastmilk, however, to me (which Kloss says as well.)

And he also is an avid supporter of SOY and vegetarian diets!  ::) 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 05:54:00 AM by JoyInHim »

JoyInHim

How publically humiliating - to have the announcer segregate you from the rest, lol!

Reminds me of 9th grade gym class.  I had just had my very first period and then school began.  The swim teacher told us that girls had to put ON a swim suit (uniform) but sit in the stand if they weren't able to swim on their cycle. 

Nothing like sitting there on the bleachers while the whole rest of the class was doing laps - embarrassing!!!!  By the time my cycle rolled around, I was a PRO at tampons, lol, and never looked back.  ::)

Still today in some Native American cultures they announce to the crowed at their Pow Wows that any women on their periods can not enter the dance circle and dance.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
Cycle-
My Cuban Grandmother says not to wash your hair during a monthly cycle. She claims you can bleed to death.  :o

Offline LKS

• Master
I was raised not to wash your hair when you are sick. Having a wet head will increase your chances of getting sicker, catching a chill etc. Probably some truth to that but you already feel bad enough being sick why be greasy too?  :P
LKS

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
I wash my hair in the mornings, but if I have to wash my hair at night I sleep with a towel covering my pillow or I get sick EVERY time.  Sore throat.  I believe this one to be true.  Does that make me an old wife, or *gulp* a tail?   ;D
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
  ok i called this a wives tale too but i guess the TRUTH behind it is if you're wet or you hairs wet and you get chilled and shiver and you're immunity is low you CAN get sick because of the enrgy used in shivering. That's what my medical bro told me. and i guess you still ose heat from you're head too.

I was raised not to wash your hair when you are sick. Having a wet head will increase your chances of getting sicker, catching a chill etc. Probably some truth to that but you already feel bad enough being sick why be greasy too?  :P
LKS

Offline LKS

• Master
Although in todays world, in this country, most people live in warm centrally heated houses so I don't think it's much of an issue. Of course I don't and never have  ;D (had central heat that is)
LKS

JoyInHim

Hmm....not that I endorse this, but my 3 girls have waist length, thick hair (ponytails the size of your wrist) and go to bed with sopping wet hair all the time!  Nuts!  (Who wants a wet pillow all night?) 

They are about as healthy as it gets  (but I tend to think it is because they didn't get vaccinated - it sure isn't diet, lol!)

I wash my hair in the mornings, but if I have to wash my hair at night I sleep with a towel covering my pillow or I get sick EVERY time.  Sore throat.  I believe this one to be true.  Does that make me an old wife, or *gulp* a tail?   ;D

Offline africamissy

• Adept

Nothing feels as good as a nice hot shower at least daily, in my opinion!

I feel daring if I skip washing my hair one day...and by the days end I am wishing I hadn't!  :-\
Here's one from my family (southern hillbilly)... Don't get your head wet while on your period. Anyone ever heard of that? I've always scoffed at most stuff like that, but still feel daring if I wash my hair during that time of the month.
WR

;D :D ;D :D  I'm lucky to get a shower twice a week!!  It just seems like I always have something else to do that's more important.  (I only take showers on church days--I feel an obligation to my fellow man)   :D ;D  Must be preparing myself for Tanzania.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Hmm....not that I endorse this, but my 3 girls have waist length, thick hair (ponytails the size of your wrist) and go to bed with sopping wet hair all the time!  Nuts!  (Who wants a wet pillow all night?) 

Not to get off topic but DD & I both have similar hair although maybe not quite as thick. I finally find what dries out the most water & it's also the easiest- a THICK 100% cotton bathrobe OVER the hair. Just squeeze out what water you can before getting out of the shower & let the hair hang down your back. Put the robe on without pulling your hair out of it (so your hair is inside the robe between your back & the robe) & leave the robe on for a while. Gravity combined with the wicking of the thick terry pulls more of the water out & you get MUCH less tangles this way. Just don't use fabric softener on the robe- fabric softener coats the fibers & cuts down on absorbency. HTH OK, back to the subject.  ;) Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline all2Jesus

• Wait on the Lord, be of good courage!
  • Adept
  • My guys.
My German grandmother would not let us eat bread plain. It had to have something one it or we would get "worms". She never suggested a cleanse, LOL
<><  respecting Mike for 15 yrs, Momma to Noah 6 1/2 yrs. and Titus 2 yrs .
http://allthedaysofmylife-ohhollyf.blogspot.com/

SagorFamily1611

LKS

I think for me taking a shower when I am sick helps me get better faster, one thing for sure is that I feel SO much better, there is nothing like taking a shower after having a nasty case of the stomach flu!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
SECOND THAT ONE!!!.it does feel soooo good and fresh clean sheets....

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
;D :D ;D :D  I'm lucky to get a shower twice a week!!  It just seems like I always have something else to do that's more important.  (I only take showers on church days--I feel an obligation to my fellow man)   :D ;D  Must be preparing myself for Tanzania.
You go girl!!   :D  I wish I could stand myself only showering 2-3 times per week.  I don't particularly like having to shower, fix the hair, blah blah blah... but I can only seem to skip a day here and there. 

Pregnancy- Don't raise your arms over your head while pregnant.  It will make the umbilical cord wrap around the baby's neck.    ??
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 07:03:11 PM by miff aka Missi »

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
I dunno if this has been mentioned but I remember hearing that we should not submerge ourselves in water( bathing or swimming) during pregnancy because it could drown the baby.

I guess the ppl who made that one up did not realize that the baby actually lives in a bag of water inside of us. LOL.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator

Not to get off topic but DD & I both have similar hair although maybe not quite as thick. I finally find what dries out the most water & it's also the easiest- a THICK 100% cotton bathrobe OVER the hair. Just squeeze out what water you can before getting out of the shower & let the hair hang down your back. Put the robe on without pulling your hair out of it (so your hair is inside the robe between your back & the robe) & leave the robe on for a while. Gravity combined with the wicking of the thick terry pulls more of the water out & you get MUCH less tangles this way. Just don't use fabric softener on the robe- fabric softener coats the fibers & cuts down on absorbency. HTH OK, back to the subject.  ;) Blessings ~herbalmom

As a courtesy to the member who started this thread and those participating in the conversation, please attempt to stay on topic as much as possible.

If the conversation triggers a new subject of interest, please search the forum for a more appropriate thread for the discussion.  When one cannot be found, start a new one.

If you'd like to have a more personal conversation that would otherwise derail the topic, please take advantage of your ability as a forum member to send personal messages.

Thanks.

~hb
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:12:46 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
I had one of my hillbilly relatives tell me once that playing with a baby by turning him upside down could kill him by turning his liver over. :o This is from some of the Appalachian mountain lore.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
Pregnancy- Don't raise your arms over your head while pregnant.  It will make the umbilical cord wrap around the baby's neck.    ??
My MIL has been very upset with me over raising my arms over my head.  I was also banned from picking strawberries from a neighbor this summer because the cord would wrap around the baby if I bent over or crawled.  A quick anatomy/physiology lesson was a waste of breath in both cases!

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
Hee hee. I guess at least it's good they recognized the big role the liver plays in health... ?
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2