Author Topic: See-saw weight  (Read 4806 times)

Offline MamaJ

• Adept
See-saw weight
« on: August 20, 2007, 03:46:07 PM »
Help!!!  I've changed my diet recently and added more exercise.  I was feeling great because I'd lost 8 pounds.  But then I gained back 5.  I chalked that up to my cycle.  But my cycle is over, and I've gained back the other three!  How is my weight so out of control?  I don't really care how much I lose, so long as I feel better, but my "healthy" feelings see-saw with my weight!  What's going on here????

Mama J.

Offline joyofthelord

• Adept
Re: See-saw weight
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:07:48 AM »
If you are exercising, you will put the weight back on with muscle.  Muscle weighs more than fat.  You should eventually, down the road, start seeing some weight come off, but if your exercising you will still lose inches.  Been there,done that.  :-\

Offline MamaJ

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:59:54 PM »
Well that's sure reassuring, I was beginning to feel like an utter failure.  My family has said they can notice a difference, but I don't measure myself, so I don't really see if I'm losing inches.  At this point, I don't think I am, I think I'm doing more toning than anything.

Mama J.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 02:39:44 PM »
Just some little advice from one who's been there:
Changing my diet to "healthier" or "natural" didn't make a difference if I was still eating too many calories each day.  Anyone can gain weight on vegetables and whole wheat bread!
Figure out your ideal weight - BMI is helpful.  Once you know your best weight, then multiply by 10 and that's about how many calories to eat each day.  Eg:  if you want to weigh 140, then don't eat more than 1400 calories on most days.  Try not to go lower than 1200 any day.  Eat a variety of good foods, fats, protein, carbs, etc.  Keep your body moving.
It will work!  After many years and failures, I am now 80 pounds lower than my all time high several years ago.  Took awhile with 6 babies in there!  And make sure you drink a LOT of good water.
HTH, and don't be discouraged - being healthy is a lifetime commitment - not a "diet".

cecac

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 02:19:48 AM »
MamaJ,

I'm right there with you.  I can't even really do the reduction in calories because I feel awful--and I'm not going to do that and try to take care of a large family, KWIM?  I can't exercise, either, because of the endocrine system weakness I've developed (and doing school with kids at the same time).  I'm hoping to pick the exercise back up soon.

Could thyroid be a problem?  Also, I am getting older in the childbearing stage, and I've read that it can be common to pick some weight up then.

I'm trying not to stress over it, and be thankful for the good health I do have,  :-\.

Cara

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 02:53:13 AM »
I have found my weight fluctuating due to hormonal imbalance.   :'(  So I am trying to figure out my problem.  If you are doing what you think you should be doing in regards to maintaining/reducing your weight and it isn't working,  keep the good lifestyle going, but start looking elsewhere for an answer. 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 03:17:46 AM »
I have read that this kind of weight loss/gain is a thyroid issue.  I get like this too.  I fluctuate 10 lbs here and there all the time.  Some days I wake up and I am 8 lbs heavier. Overnight!  That CAN'T be good.

cecac

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 04:45:57 AM »
You know, I'm also wondering if a cleanse here and there is a good thing to perhaps aid in weight loss?

I don't do the fasting ones, I try and find ones that I still eat three times a day and take things to cleanse.  I also try and ease up on something else (like exercise) while I'm cleansing.

Last time I did do a colon cleanse, it may very well have helped with the post baby weight I needed to lose.  I've also done a mild liver/kidney cleanse.  I'm starting on the colon cleanse again this week.  I dropped two pounds in just three days, but I may gain in back.  Anyway, I'm partially doing it to aid in getting the last 10 pounds off, but I'm also partly doing it just so that I can function as well as can be.

HTH,
Cara

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 06:43:13 AM »
I try to go by the fat inches I have lost. Like if my clothing is fitting lose. I have lost some fat inches this summer but I weigh about the same as before I lost them, Most likely do to weight lifting.

I would rather look and feel  better then to weigh what the scale says I should weigh.

Also our bowel contents will add weight to us.

Offline MamaJ

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 10:01:56 AM »
It's not a thyroid issue with me, I've been checked several times for it.  I try not to go by the scale too much either, but just the fact that I haven't been feeling a lot better made me think something wasn't sitting right.  I think the biggest problem is that my doctor is always so rushed, we never get to the root of the problem.  Oh well, I'll keep researching and see what I can come up with.

Mama J.