Author Topic: Retaining Water: Need Help  (Read 8343 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Retaining Water: Need Help
« on: May 28, 2006, 07:01:41 AM »
I was doing well and hubby took me out for Chinese last night.  Most of the restarants around here don't use MSG, but I think this one does now I'm swollen up like a hot air balloon.  I can barely walk or type because my hands and feet hurt from the swelling.  Anyone know how I can get the fluid out fast?  Would a liver flush work??  I've been drinking water with lemon juice all morning and I can't even pee.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
Re: Retaining Water: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 10:21:29 AM »
I would try drinking aloe juice (100% cold pressed). I know that it works as a diretic. I don't have a swelling problem but if I haven't drank any in awhile within less than an hour, I have to pee. It has helped my father in law with swelling in the past. Just don't go over board. Start with an ounce in a glass of water or juice and see if you get any relief. I don't know if this helps but I hope it does! Feel better.
Jessica

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 10:33:19 AM »
I would try drinking aloe juice (100% cold pressed). I know that it works as a diretic. I don't have a swelling problem but if I haven't drank any in awhile within less than an hour, I have to pee. It has helped my father in law with swelling in the past. Just don't go over board. Start with an ounce in a glass of water or juice and see if you get any relief. I don't know if this helps but I hope it does! Feel better.
Jessica

Thanks, but I don't have any.  Don't have any access to any right away either.  I have normal stuff on hand.  I have mint, lavender, AGV, lemon juice in a bottle, water, coffee, raspberry, ginger, oolong, green, and black teas.  I have cranberry juice, and cranberry pills.  That's about it.  Any other ideas?  OUCH.  hands hurt.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 10:52:24 AM »
All teas (and coffee) are duiretics. Do you think a ginger bath might help get toxins out through your skin? Sorry, hon!
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 03:27:12 PM »
I was horribly swollen at the end of my first pregnancy and my midwife said to go swimming.  The pressure of the water on your skin forces the retained water back into your system to be flushed out.  If you don't have access to a pool, maybe a nice deep bath??  It might be worth a shot....

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 05:10:27 PM »
Thanks everyone,  I'm a bit better.  I was just hoping to flush in a couple of hours instead of a couple of days.  My hands hurt so bad this morning, I couldn't even make a fist.  I hate being an invalid.  I had seeds to plants and many many things to do and all I could do was sleep it off.  I did finally get my kidneys moving again and after cooking supper, I FINALLY started to sweat.  It's been 90+ degrees all day and no sweat and my skin wash so squishy  :P  I read that massage helps, so hubby rubbed my hands and arms (He's the bomb!)  My hands are better and I'm sure my feet will improve as soon as I get off of them for the night.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 11:05:37 PM »
Hi all!
First off, I am not pregnant.  I haven't changed anything in my diet.  I am 45 and have a tendency to be insulin resistant.

About 10 days ago, I started retaining water in a major way.  My ankles and feet are huge and horrible.  I never have a problem like this; if I do retain, it is only mild and over once I start drinking more water (I sometimes add lemon).

I have been drinking more water with the occasional addition of lemon.  I have increased exercises, trying to get circulation to improve the situation.  I am getting no relief, they are just swelling more.

Can anybody suggest an herb or combination of herbs that can help with this? 
Thanks
mom24boys

Note: thanks webfolk for including spellcheck on this forum!!!

Thanks

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 01:06:18 AM »
Have you tried adding salt?

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 08:43:29 PM »
I have been told I use too much salt so I didn't want to try to add more.  However, when I used to live in the desert and experienced water retention, it was always because of LOW salt intake.  So, for the last 3 days, I have been salting freely but have gotten no relief.

Tonight when hubby got home, I ran to Walmart and got Sundown Natural Water Pills*.  I also got psylium caps because I have also developed constipation in the last 2 days  :-\  I am pretty sure I have some kind of auto-toxic thing going on so I will use the psylium to begin a cleanse and add cascara sagrada if I have too.

I am also going to begin the water diet in earnest on Wed. (hubby requests I not be "weird" during 4th of July holiday).  As if being bloated, swollen and having all my joints ache isn't weird  ???

I will keep you all posted on my progress and the effectiveness of the Sundown water pills

*ingredients:
Calcium 55 mg
Potassium gluconate 20 mg
Couch Grass 20 mg
Chinese Asparagus 15 mg
Juniper Extract 2:1 10 mg
Uva-Ursi Ex. 4:1 5 mg
Alfalfa Juice Concentrate 2 mg
Short Buchu Ex. 4:1 500 mcg
Dicalcium phosaphate
cellulose
destrose monohydrate
stearic acid
croscarmellose sodium
magnesium stearate
maltodextrin

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 04:42:56 AM »
I am 30 weeks pregnant in hot, humid MS.  I have already started swelling.  One of my good friends goes regularly to a great herbalist here.  I was complaining about the swelling one day and she recommended Corn Silk.  Corn Silk is a natural, mild diuretic.  You can make a tea from the actual corn silk, sweetened with honey, or buy the corn silk tablets from a health food store.  I can't stand anything off-tasting right now, so I chose the tablets.  Within about 2 hours after taking the first capsule, my husband even noticed a difference in my ankles.  I also talked to my doctor about it, and he said it was fine.  The corn silk helps your kidneys to work more efficiently.  I have even noticed that I am even retaining more of my Supermom, instead of my body flushing so much of it.  Hope this helps.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 06:06:29 AM »
I am also going to begin the water diet in earnest on Wed. (hubby requests I not be "weird" during 4th of July holiday).  As if being bloated, swollen and having all my joints ache isn't weird  ???

*snicker*  This made me laugh.  Husbands are such funny creatures.  ;)

Make sure you keep your fluid intake way up to help relieve the swelling.  Water, water with lemon, tea (diuretic), oh and if you can stand the taste, drinking some apple cider vinegar wouldn't hurt.  When I was all swollen up, I drank about an ounce of vinegar diluted in water twice in a day along with water and lemon water and I began to feel a difference after about 8 hours or so, and then by the next day, the swelling in my hands and feet were almost completely gone. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 10:05:42 AM »
Parsley tea is a very good tonic for helping the kidneys flush and reduces swelling. (I don't know if this works for swelling during pregnancy or not. For that (as mamasboys said (I think it was her) up your protien intake to every 2 hours.)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."