Author Topic: Postpartum Cycles  (Read 21193 times)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Postpartum Cycles
« on: August 09, 2007, 03:57:03 AM »
I have always started my period back after 5-7 weeks, even though I breast feed often, and nights too. Once I start, my period is usually pretty regular (between 27-32 days). 

Well, this time I started at 5 weeks and then I didn't have another period.  It will be 2 weeks late tomorrow.  I haven't been that late in 12 years.  I thought that surely I couldn't be pregnant, and I have had 4 negative tests, so I don't think so.  (If I were, I would likely have a baby 9 1/2 months after Elizabeth, if not sooner, since i have never gone past 37 weeks...) 

Do you have any idea as to what could be the reason, or anything that I can do?  I want to just start my period so I don't have to deal with the fear of being pregnant right now.  I can't handle the thought of 4-5 months in bed rest, my body pumped full of drugs and long hospital stays... again... I have 3 little girls and they need their Mommy.

I have been feeling so emotional....  I bought pregnancy tests in bulk (which I will soon be selling some of,)  Assumming that I am not pregnant, any thoughts or suggestions?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 04:25:53 AM by mexmarr »

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
Re: Postpartum Cycles
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 04:05:30 AM »
oh, mexmarr.  My heartrate sped up just thinking about 9 1/2 months!  Do you think that maybe your hormones are still trying to straighten out?  Remember when we first started our periods how they weren't always regular.  Since you are breastfeeding perhaps you won't be immediately regular this time.  I am curious to what others think.
I, too, jumped back into a 28 day cycle with in 6 weeks of having my babies.  Nursing as bc would not work for me!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 04:15:29 AM »
oh, mexmarr.  My heartrate sped up just thinking about 9 1/2 months!  Do you think that maybe your hormones are still trying to straighten out? 

Yeah, so does mine!!!  My hormones are wacko right now...

Offline ARmom

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 04:23:33 AM »
Mexmarr,  Has Elizabeth increased her nursing any?  The reason I ask is because when my DS was 6mo old I had started trying to supplement with some cereal. and as soon as I did my period started back.  DS however, did not really care for the cereal so we quit and started back with more nursing.  Consequently Aunt flo disappeared again for 4 more months.  I never knew that could happen.  It hasn't happened to me again since and I've had two more DD's since DS.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 04:27:00 AM by ARmom »
The homemaker has the ultimate career.  All other careers exist to support this ultimate career.
                                           C.S.Lewis

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 04:34:35 AM »
Mexmarr,  Has Elizabeth increased her nursing any?  The reason I ask is because when my DS was 6mo old I had started trying to supplement with some cereal. and as soon as I did my period started back.  DS however, did not really care for the cereal so we quit and started back with more nursing.  Consequently Aunt flo disappeared again for 4 more months.  I never knew that could happen.  It hasn't happened to me again since and I've had two more DD's since DS.

Wow, I had never heard of starting and then stopping again.  We were wondering if I was going to do that.  No, Elizabeth isn;t really eating any more than before.  SHe has always been an excellent eater. Well, I guess she does eat more in the late evening, but then she sleeps longer at night, too.  But she has always tended to eat more often in the evening.  She slept until 5 this morning, after eating at 9 pm last night. 

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 05:18:26 AM »
Mexmarr-
Could it be that you were feeling good and started being more active around the time you had another period??? My midwife told me that is what probably brought on bleeding for me at 6 wks (I had stopped post partum bleeding a couple of weeks before that). She said that likely it wasn't actually my period but was instead caused by my increase in activity since I felt so good. My period didn't return then for 4-6months after that. Just an idea......

Holly

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 05:27:11 AM »
Mexmarr-
Could it be that you were feeling good and started being more active around the time you had another period??? My midwife told me that is what probably brought on bleeding for me at 6 wks (I had stopped post partum bleeding a couple of weeks before that). She said that likely it wasn't actually my period but was instead caused by my increase in activity since I felt so good. My period didn't return then for 4-6months after that. Just an idea......

Holly

It is a thought.  I only bled 2 weeks postpartum, and that is normal for me.  So I had three weeks with no blood, and then what seemed like a normal period at 5 weeks.  I had started exercising at three weeks, so it had been 2 full weeks since I increases my activity.  If that were from increased activity, wouldn't it have started when I started exercising.  In the last couple of weeks, I have been pretty active (did a t-tapp bootcamp) and I am not bleeding.  Maybe I will go months with no period, who knows.  But with my other 2 children and 3 miscarriages, I was started from 5-7 weeks and was always regular from then on.  That is why this seems so strange to me.

cecac

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 07:08:44 AM »
Mexmarr,

Sorry if someone already said this as I didn't have time to read--

I don't know how old you are, but things can change over the course of time when it comes to breastfeeding/cycles.  I've gotten to the point where, you know, anything goes!!  I have never had a late cycle like that, but since you are breastfeeding so much I would think it could definitely happen.

JMHO, perhaps you ought to chart, use a ladycomp or something so that you can set your mind at rest for a bit.

I personally would have a real hard time charting in your shoes.  I am not there right now, but I was about 14 months ago, and I didn't have near the complications you've had.  We are, if I get to be pregnant again, going to get a ladycomp for the after times.  I do not handle the pressure of charting and caring for my family in the first six months to one year postpartum.  And I didn't even breastfeed last time (losing sleep with breastfeeding would compound your emotions, IMO.)

As to doing something, wouldn't a mama's tea be good to try and regulate hormones?  (I mean, you really have time to make tea, right?)  There are also herbs to help with beginning menustration, but perhaps that would be a worry to you if you and your husband are not using any sort of child spacing.  I believe those herbs would also be abortifacient (sp?).

Just some thoughts.  May the Lord bless you with wisdom, peace, and faith in this time.

Cara

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 08:13:27 AM »
I don't think that it is age!  :o  I am only 27.  Even my mom is still as regular as clockwork.  My other kids are 2 and 3, so not a lot of time has elapsed.

I never got the hange of sharting with themometer, but when I am not breastfeeding, I can pinpoint my ovulation by my mucous.  But I can't while I am breastfeeding...  But I "shouldn't be" pregnant.

Maybe I should try the Red Rasberry tea. 

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 08:21:44 AM »
Mexmarr, you mentioned you bought your pg tests in bulk.  What type of  tests did you get?  Before my last baby, I got a bunch of these from Ebay in bulk, they were just little sticks with no plastic around them, and they all gave me negative results.  I got a cheap one from Target, and it gave me an instant positive!  Hopefully, this isn't what's happened with you, but I thought I'd better mention it.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 09:13:44 AM »
Mexmarr, you mentioned you bought your pg tests in bulk.  What type of  tests did you get?  Before my last baby, I got a bunch of these from Ebay in bulk, they were just little sticks with no plastic around them, and they all gave me negative results.  I got a cheap one from Target, and it gave me an instant positive!  Hopefully, this isn't what's happened with you, but I thought I'd better mention it.

That is interesting. The 4 negative tests I did were all from the drug store and were not cheap.  That is why I bought the bulk ones, which I should receive in a few days.  I have used a bunch of those before and they have always been accurate.  Mostly negs when I was a day or 2 late.  But when I was pregnant they were positive.  They've worked for a number of friends, as well.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 03:27:40 PM »
Maybe I just got a bad batch!   :P

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 09:31:20 AM »
I don't have any answers for Mexmar just a question or two of my own.

With Ruth, and now with Shalom, even though I am nursing, I began ovulating shortly after the Lochia stopped - but no period...that would be how Ruth and Shalom got to be so close in age.  Any thoughts?

That isn't really a question, I guess I am looking for someone to tell me that I am not crazy or weird (which is alway questionable  ;D :P ).  Is anyone else like this?  Shalom is getting no other food besides breast milk, yet I am ovulating already, and have been since the beginning of Sept - making this my third "cycle."

Rebekah

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
I don't have any answers for Mexmar just a question or two of my own.

With Ruth, and now with Shalom, even though I am nursing, I began ovulating shortly after the Lochia stopped - but no period...that would be how Ruth and Shalom got to be so close in age.  Any thoughts?

That isn't really a question, I guess I am looking for someone to tell me that I am not crazy or weird (which is alway questionable  ;D :P ).  Is anyone else like this?  Shalom is getting no other food besides breast milk, yet I am ovulating already, and have been since the beginning of Sept - making this my third "cycle."

Rebekah

Just curious...how do you know you're ovulating?

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 03:37:37 AM »
Mostly the mucus...PLUS...I become a gigantic grouch toward my husband (even before kids I would PMS when I ovulated NOT when I am actually bleeding).  Sometimes it makes me wonder why he keeps me around actually.  But I am getting quicker at identifying what is happening when the "Mona the Grouch" enters our family times.

Rebekah aka Mona the Grouch - sometimes

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 05:03:01 AM »
Mostly the mucus...PLUS...I become a gigantic grouch toward my husband (even before kids I would PMS when I ovulated NOT when I am actually bleeding).  Sometimes it makes me wonder why he keeps me around actually.  But I am getting quicker at identifying what is happening when the "Mona the Grouch" enters our family times.

Rebekah aka Mona the Grouch - sometimes

If you're concerned and want to space out your children a bit, I would get a ovulation detection kit or start charting your basal body temperature.  You may not be truly ovulating.  Charting is the most accurate method, as your temperature will remain elevated for the rest of the month and will drop on the day your period is supposed to start.  Though, I will admit, I don't think I would be able to chart while nursing a baby!! 

My ovulation sign is a backache.  The only reason I've ovulated and not had a period while nursing was because I was pregnant again!

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 04:22:41 AM »
I'm having my first "." postpartum. Well, really 3 1/2 years since my last "." As I was preggo, b*feed, preggo again, b*feed :)

Any who, it's super bright red and I'm exhausted...Is this "normal"?

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 04:23:39 AM »
I'm having my first "." postpartum. Well, really 3 1/2 years since my last "." As I was preggo, b*feed, preggo again, b*feed :)

How many months postpartum are you?

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 04:24:21 AM »

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 08:20:59 AM »

How many months postpartum are you?

1 year postpartum. 3 1/2 year since my last "." I had two back to back pregnancies.

So, This morning I had *severe* cramping. It radiated to my back and hurt *so* bad. I could hardly even stand to pour hubby's coffee this morning. Then I took some advil out of desperation and all pain ceased 40 minutes later.

What herbal supplements could I be taking to help my body out this week?

I've been drinking lots and taking my Supermoms and making sure I sleep enough.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 09:06:58 AM »
Grocerygetter,
If you have any Red Raspberry Leaf available, I would start with that.  But I wouldn't worry about the bright red blood - my periods are often like that.  AND painful cramping, throbbing vericose veins, etc.  Never much fun.  :D

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Kendra

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 09:59:36 AM »
I think it can be normal. It is for me! My first postpartum "." was very  normal and came exactly 9 months after my first daughter was born. This time, I've had several times when I thought that my cycle was returning, but the doctor classified it as more postpartum bleeding, which can continue through 1 year! A friend of mine who teaches NFP said that while you are breastfeeding, your hormones are warring with each other - one set is trying to establish your fertility, and another (from breastfeeding) is fighting to keep you infertile. She said it absolutely is possible to have it seem like you are starting to be fertile when you are really not.

Now that my daughter is 11 months old, I've had two cycles (horrible and painful that they are) that have come at regular intervals, so I'm pretty confident that I am fertile again. I definitely second the idea of charting and watching for fertile signs so that you know for sure if you are ovulating.

Offline momofkings

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »
I am 3 months post partum and I feel like my body has "tried" to start a period a few times, but can't, if that makes sense.....

I had what I thought was a period about 1 1/2 months ago, lasted normal time, then stopped.  Then when it came time for another one--nothing except very very light spotting for a few days.  Now it is another month later and I have had very light spotting again.  (and I do mean very light-like I wouldn't really even need a pad.)  I even thought I was a little crampy this morning, but then that stopped too.

This was my 6th pregnancy, normally I start pretty early, within a few months, and continue each month.  This time has been very different.  I do breastfeed quite often, by the way. 

Any ideas what is going on with this body of mine? 

Offline denisew

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 04:18:48 PM »
So what's the longest you ladies have gone before your "." started back?  I'm now at 18 months and wondering if this is normal......

Denise

Offline Darcy

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 04:28:02 PM »
8 weeks. :P What I wouldn't do for 18 months!

Offline denisew

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 04:23:35 AM »
My last baby I started before he was a year old.  This baby is not very interested in food yet.  But I usually only nurse about 5-7 times a day....

Denise

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 05:18:21 AM »
I nurse exclusively for one year.

The more children I have and the older I get, the later I start back again.  This last time, I spotted on and off, here and there, but I didn't actually start again till sometime after his first birthday.  And then they were about 6 weeks apart for a little while.

The older I get, the more unpredictable the after events of birth become. 
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline mom2apreemie

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 11:12:02 AM »
I am 10 weeks postpartum with my second daughter and lochia stopped about 5 weeks. A week later I got what I thought was my period but it was pretty light and lasted 11 days. Then six days later it happened again and now it is happening a third time. I got my period 6 weeks after my first daughter was born and was just like it was before giving birth but she was born at 28 weeks and this one was full term with no complications. The doctor told me that it is pretty normal when breastfeeding to bleed on and off for a few months due to hormones regulating. They said that if it goes on for several more months they can put me on a BC pill but that is not going to happen since I refuse to use them. I was wondering about other mothers who have had this issue and if they used anything to help regulate hormones. Thanks.

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 04:20:09 AM »
Mom2apreemie,

Just skimmed this thread to see what has been posted before.  Interesting!  For myself (as well as my mother), we always start(ed) right away.  (In fact, my mother got pregnant within 6 weeks of delivering one of my sisters.   :o)  

Regardless, my doctor/midwife have all said it is very unusual for bf mothers to start while still nursing... but I have exclusively nursed with all our little ones, and after each delivery, my bleeding stopped between 3-4 weeks... Then within a couple weeks, I started my first postpartum cycle.

I am, currently, 15 weeks postpartum... and have had 2 "for sure" cycles already - and some bleeding right after the lochia stopped that I am pretty sure was a 3rd.  Ugh.

With each child, I was told the first cycles were just bleeding because I was "over-doing" things... but like clockwork, each month my cycles came and went with normal flow/duration.  *sigh*   :-\  Sure would have been nice to have some time off, other than just the pregnancy...  ;)

With your previous child, it does sound like your cycles resumed right away... but your pattern with this one (only 6 days apart) seems like you might just be over-doing things a bit??  

Are you lifting, walking too far, etc?  That can cause your uterus to start bleeding again...
J  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:26:50 AM by RunAmokFarm »
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 08:26:13 AM »
I am 10 weeks postpartum with my second daughter and lochia stopped about 5 weeks. A week later I got what I thought was my period but it was pretty light and lasted 11 days. Then six days later it happened again and now it is happening a third time. I got my period 6 weeks after my first daughter was born and was just like it was before giving birth but she was born at 28 weeks and this one was full term with no complications. The doctor told me that it is pretty normal when breastfeeding to bleed on and off for a few months due to hormones regulating. They said that if it goes on for several more months they can put me on a BC pill but that is not going to happen since I refuse to use them. I was wondering about other mothers who have had this issue and if they used anything to help regulate hormones. Thanks.

I read about a mom who was able to get Postpartum Bleeding stopped with NOW Female Balance capsules....here
http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Female-Balance-90-Capsules/607?at=1

Also Mountain Meadow Herbs has an excellent formula that would likely help
It is safe for Nursing Mothers too

http://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com/formula-hormonal-balance-p-53.html?osCsid=d025dfca9bb1ddc64a8a6cd3cc214c69        HB formula (Hormonal Balance)

"The catalog description says Perfect for teenage girls new mothers, and women of all ages"