Author Topic: Problems with Astigmatism: Contacts vs. Eyeglasses  (Read 27799 times)

Nickole

Problems with Astigmatism: Contacts vs. Eyeglasses
« on: August 06, 2007, 03:23:08 PM »
I hope someone can help me with this mystery.  I wear contacts and glasses.  Not at the same time  :D.  Anyway, I cannot wear my glasses for more than a couple days straight, or else they start to get blurry.  So I then have to wear my contacts for at least a day, then the next day when I put on my glasses, they are nice and crispy clear again.  It's like the glasses make my eyesight weak or something if I wear them too long.  This happened with my previous pair of glasses and then with my new ones, so it is not the prescription.  Now, I did find out that I have astigmatism in one eye, so I have a contact for that now.  So the problem may have started with my other glasses as I developed that astigmatism.  I am wondering if my eyes do indeed get weak after some time with the glasses since I have that astigmatism in one eye.  B/c you can't have toric glasses made (for those who don't know, toric contacts are for astigmatism - where your eye is slightly cone-shaped, so you have to have a special kind of contact).  My eye doc said I am not going to see as clear with glasses now as I will with my contacts, b/c the astigmatism has to be corrected with a contact sitting ON the eye, and glasses in front of the eye simply cannot make that correction.  BUT I see clearly when I take a break and wear my contacts for a day....Yet then the glasses get more blurry.  AND THEY ARE CLEAN GLASSES JUST SO YA KNOW!   ;D  That is not the problem.   ;)  I hope this makes sense and someone can shed light on this.  It's very frustrating.  Thanks.

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
Re: Problems with Astigmatism: Contacts vs. Eyeglasses
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 03:30:17 PM »
Maybe with your contacts in, the shape of your eye conforms TO them, and they lose their 'shape' after a day or two of wearing glasses?

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 03:56:24 PM »
I have no idea what's going on in or with your eyes.  ??? I wear contacts too, but haven't ever had anything happen like that. Sometimes they feel funny if I am really tired. As my dictionary is in the habit of saying, "sorry can't help".  :-[
Happyhomemaker :)

Offline herbalmama

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 04:54:25 PM »
Not sure if this is what is wrong with your eyes but it does sound alot like a problem a friend of mine had.She ended up caving and going to an opthamologist instead of an optomatrist and found out she was actually having migraines.The interesting thinwas that she wasnt having any pain! Thats right migraines with no pain "painless migraines" anyway they caused problems that sounded the same as what you are saying your eyes are doing .Still happens occasionally I am going to ask her what she has done to help the situatuation ,maybe she has some advice .Anyway even if she doesnt I will be praying for healing in your eyes  :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 05:19:16 PM »
Nickole, when I wore glasses & contacts I was told the opposite. That my glasses corrected my astigmatism but my contacts did not. Contacts for astigmatism we available at the time but they were not available for my eye curve yet. I can get them now but don't wear contacts right now.

Anyway, my theory is that maybe your eyes are drying out too much when you wear glasses. I assume that when you wear your contacts you use wetting solution & also the moisture in your eye evaporates slower when covered by a contact. Also, you blink more when wearing contacts which helps wet your eye. Maybe using your wetting solution (I always just used my sensitive eyes saline solution instead of expensive special wetting solution- worked for me & MUCH cheaper) when wearing your glasses would help. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom   

Nickole

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 02:00:09 AM »
Ok, I am on my third day of wearing glasses and so far this morning everything seems clear.  SO I need to keep better track - I am thinking perhaps that as each day wears on they get more blurry.  Like my eyes get weak.  By evening yesterday my vision was not as great.  This morning, fine again.  You think my eyes just get fatigued and perhaps that's normal?  Only my long-range vision gets more blurry.  My nearsightedness (I am basically both nearsighted and farsighted  ::) - BAD vision).  I have never had a migraine before - but that is interesting about painless ones.  I actually get dry eyes more with contacts, and I am out of rewetting solution and it's pricey like you said and I was sick of rewetting them with my solution so often, so that is why I haven't been wearing my contacts much.  They have seemed drier than usual lately.  With glasses I get no dry eyes.  :-\
I am wondering if my glasses just slide down as the day wears on, therefore effecting my vision?  But I thought this was the case a year ago when I went to have them adjusted and the lady there said she can't get them ANY closer to my eyes, that it had been 3 years since an exam and I obviously need a new presciption  ::).  Well, got the new prescription and perhaps my vision was ALWAYS blurry with my old pair, yet only by the end of the day with this pair?  If I push them up, I do see clear again.  Maybe I just need them adjusted?  Or maybe I need to wash my oily face?   ;D   

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 03:02:43 AM »
Nicole, I'm a former contact lens/glasses wearer and used to have astigmatism. I am guessing that your contact lens are a type of hard or gas permeable lens.

What is happening is that when the contact lens in on the eye, the eye is reformed to the shape of the contact lens, thereby correcting the astigmatism. This effect will last for a time after the contact lens is removed, but the eye will eventually return to its original shape (astigmatism).

Also, the corrective lens of your glasses is not at a constant distance from your eye. This means that the 'correction' is always changing as the glasses ride up or down on your nose (even small amounts) and/or your eye moves to look in a different direction.

So, IMO, what you are seeing is a combination of the lens of the eye resuming its original shape (astigmatism) after the corrective shape of the contact lens is removed combined with the shifting correction of the glasses which will not give you as clear an image when reflected at different points inside the eye.

HTH
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Nickole

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 03:22:03 AM »
Nicole, I'm a former contact lens/glasses wearer and used to have astigmatism. I am guessing that your contact lens are a type of hard or gas permeable lens.

What is happening is that when the contact lens in on the eye, the eye is reformed to the shape of the contact lens, thereby correcting the astigmatism. This effect will last for a time after the contact lens is removed, but the eye will eventually return to its original shape (astigmatism).

Also, the corrective lens of your glasses is not at a constant distance from your eye. This means that the 'correction' is always changing as the glasses ride up or down on your nose (even small amounts) and/or your eye moves to look in a different direction.

So, IMO, what you are seeing is a combination of the lens of the eye resuming its original shape (astigmatism) after the corrective shape of the contact lens is removed combined with the shifting correction of the glasses which will not give you as clear an image when reflected at different points inside the eye.

HTH

Thank you SC.  Ok, that sounds like what Texas Girl was saying.  I did try googling this issue and rewording it a thousand times and couldn't find anything remotely like my experience, so I appreciate this forum so so much.  What you are saying does make sense.  It's nice to know at least that it's "normal" in my case.  I said earlier that I thougth this morning that my vision was more clear through my glasses but after a while of "living" this morning, I can tell they are not quite as sharp as when I put them on after wearing my contacts for some time.  That makes sense that it's b/c my eye is still in the toric lense shape and all.  All of your post makes so much sense so I appreciate you taking the time to answer. 

So did you get lasik done or something?  I am totally a prime candidate but the cost and risk...hmmm...not sure.  I've worn contacts and glasses for over 20 years so I feel like I'd be losing part of my body!   ;D 

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 04:21:13 AM »
Are you doing lots of paper work or spending lots of time at the computer?  When I worked, I always had my face in stacks of paperwork or worked in front of the computer, and it really strained my eyes!  When I quit to be a SAHM, my eyes improved dramatically, and still, each year when I go back for my eye check-up, my eyes are a little better than they were the year before, while during each year of college or working, they got significantly worse, which my MD said was from all the reading/paperwork/etc.  I also wear contacts daily & have astigmatism. 

Nickole

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 04:37:48 AM »
Are you doing lots of paper work or spending lots of time at the computer?  When I worked, I always had my face in stacks of paperwork or worked in front of the computer, and it really strained my eyes!  When I quit to be a SAHM, my eyes improved dramatically, and still, each year when I go back for my eye check-up, my eyes are a little better than they were the year before, while during each year of college or working, they got significantly worse, which my MD said was from all the reading/paperwork/etc.  I also wear contacts daily & have astigmatism. 

You know, you read my mind, b/c I was thinking the same thing as well.  I spend a lot of time reading, basically up close things.  I recalled that I had heard somewhere that if you are at the computer for a long time or reading you need to take a break every now and then and basically look to the hills, ha ha!  Just spent time focusing on far away things for a break.  I am going to try that too and see if it helps.  Thanks!

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 04:55:02 AM »
I've heard that thier are some essential oils that you can applies around your eyes. (not in) that will improve your vision..  It is something I am in the process of researching.  I have bad vision that keeps getting worse.  I don't want to have Lasik.. I'll let you all know what I find.
Jenny
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 05:30:06 AM »
So did you get lasik done or something?  I am totally a prime candidate but the cost and risk...hmmm...not sure.  I've worn contacts and glasses for over 20 years so I feel like I'd be losing part of my body!   ;D 
Yes, there is a medical university near our home and a friend had her procedure done there. She highly recommended them as a VERY experienced doctor was in charge of the surgical procedure and the students were strictly monitored, using the latest techniques AT HALF THE PRICE. So, we decided to go that route and have been pleased with the results. While it wasn't covered by our insurance, our carrier had a contract with the university that allowed them to offer us an even greater discount than their standard rate. It is such a blessing to be able to be active (or even just to wake up) without having to deal with contacts or some contraption on my face in order to see. I don't miss the expense of replacing glasses or contact lens either. From a health standpoint, it halted my deteriorating eyesight and possible further injury due to torn corneas, etc. HTH
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Nickole

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 05:44:56 AM »
Well, lucky you SC!  That would be nice.... When I was young I always had this fear that I would be kidnapped and they would take out my contacts so I couldn't escape.  You know, not the fear of being killed or anything  ::).  My contact prescription is -7.00 in both eyes if that tells you anything.  If my glasses fell off and broke at Walmart or something I would have to just call my husband and sit there and wait till he came and got me!  My kids could sit next to me and take collections for their blind Mama.   :D     

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 06:44:44 AM »
x
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 06:54:05 AM »
It is exactly what Texas Girl said.  I have an astigmatism, and I wear hard (gas perm) lenses and glasses (not at the same time).  If I wake up and wear glasses I'm fine; if I wear contacts I'm fine. 

But if I wear contacts for a few hours, and then put on my glasses then the glasses are the wrong prescription because the contacts changed the shape of my eye.

Additionally, if I wear glasses for a few days or more, when I put the contacts on then they are blurry for a little while.  But it becomes clearer as time passes.  Also, dry eyes make my contacts look blurry sometimes, too.

My optometrist said I should choose one or the other.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Nickole

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 08:11:10 AM »
Mine's the opposite - I don't usually have a problem with my contacts but just with glasses getting more blurry over time.  Although I have had an issue with my astigmatism contact lately.  Hasn't been as "fitting" so it's more blurry.  Could be getting dry though.  Hope I am not due for yet another exam b/c I already bought boxes and boxes of contacts so I can have three years worth at least so I don't have to pay for another exam for a while.  My eyes usually don't change every year.

I didn't know people still wore hard contacts?  My opt. I thought said pretty much no one does.  I never have - that sounds painful.  And I thought they pop out easily.   :o   

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 08:25:17 AM »
Your glasses will look blurry if the contacts are changing the shape of your eye.  It is the same problem, only in reverse.  You need the contacts to change the shape of your eye to make the glasses the right prescription.  Then after a few days of weariing glasses, your eye goes back to the lazy shape, your glasses are blurry, then you put on the contacts, your eyes are rounded & molded, and then the glasses are clear.

If you were wearing contacts to the dr. appt., removed them, then got your glasses prescription then your eyes were a different shape than they are naturally, and you need to wear your contacts to re-shape your eye to make your glasses the same prescription again, which is actually not your correct glasses prescription.  This is not easy to explain.

Gas perm lenses are the healthiest because they allow much more air flow to your eye.  I just had this conversation with an opthalmologist last week.  I've had the same pair for 10 years now.  They are actually more difficult to get out of your eye, and you must build a small callous under your eyelid in order to wear them.  I love them.  Very comfortable.

Your eyes may or may not change in prescription, but the normal average eye changes very little if at all from year to year.  Now if you go to one eye doctor one year, and a new one the next, they may say your eyes are quite different because it isn't a precise science.  So going to the same eye doctor will render the most true and accurate assessment.

I guess I should add that the reason I know a little about this is that my husband has considered sleeping in hard lenses at night that are way strong of a prescription.  Then they will change the shape of his eye as he sleeps.  When he awakens, he takes them out, and he can go the whole day with no glasses and no contacts.  It's called CRT (corneal refractive therapy) and I've been talking to a friend who is an opthalmologist about the eye A LOT in the last month.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 08:32:02 AM by ShabbyChic »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 08:41:02 AM »
I actually get dry eyes more with contacts, and I am out of rewetting solution and it's pricey like you said and I was sick of rewetting them with my solution so often, so that is why I haven't been wearing my contacts much.  They have seemed drier than usual lately.  With glasses I get no dry eyes.  :-\

I always used my sensitive eyes saline solution- only $2 a pint. I haven't worn contacts in years & I still keep a bottle around for wetting dry eyes & to use as an eyewash- more soothing than plain water when you get something in your eye & need to wash it out. I used to get a 4oz bottle to carry in my purse. Costs more per ounce that the pint bottle but still less than the re-wetting solution.

You mentioned that you haven't been wearing your contacts much & your eyes are dryer. Maybe your not drinking enough & as the day goes on your eyes get drier? Even just mild dehydration can change the shape of your eye thereby changing your vision. If you have to re-wet your contacts often then you might not be drinking enough. & believe me, I'm preaching to the choir here- I NEVER drink enough, esp water. I always had to re-wet my eyes often with contacts & still have problems with dry eyes. 

My mom has REALLY bad vision in one eye (she can be declared legally blind in that eye if she wants) & used to wear a specially ground hard contact for it. (which actually got her vision to 40/200 in that eye) She had MAJOR problems with it until she drastically upped her water intake.

Shabby Chic,

I have heard of what your talking about but haven't looked into it. Maybe I will sometime in the future.

Good point about the contact affecting the shape of the eye during an exam- I know I have worn my contacts to the eye Dr's before & never thought about it affecting the exam & the eye Dr never mentioned it. I wear soft contacts though- I wonder if that makes a difference?

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 09:35:37 AM »
I don't think soft lenses make a lick of difference (from my understanding), unless they are toric lenses for an astigmatism, which change the eye from a football shape to round.  Or of course, hard lenses.

But regular soft lenses do not change the eye shape, and they should not affect your prescription as long as you have had them off for a little while.

Nickole

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 09:44:50 AM »
That may make sense about the water Herbalmom.  I'll test that theory!  I DIDN'T wear my contacts to my exam and I practically got yelled at.  New doc, and he was so rude and snobby I was shocked.  He was pretty mean actually, about a lot of things.  By the end, he was alright, but I don't think I'll be going back there.  So apparently docs LIKE you to wear your contacts to the exam, OR ELSE!   :o ;D  (obviously there are good reasons to do this, I just happened to have forgotten after 3 years since I had been to an exam - I thought he would want me to wear my glasses.  El wrongo!)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 09:46:56 AM by Nickole »

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 09:47:05 AM »
What is a glasses exam or a contacts exam?

Nickole

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
What is a glasses exam or a contacts exam?

You know, your yearly exam.  Supposed to be yearly anyway.  I don't go yearly.  If you have contacts AND glasses, they want you to wear your contacts so they can start there with your vision.  So when I went they could only do the glasses exam part (I think) and then I had to go back for a contacts exam.  They like to see how they are fitting on your eye.  That's how he saw that I had astigmatism.....I think. 

Nickole

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 10:11:45 AM »
I prefer contacts too, just b/c I hate having something on my face, but I like that I don't have to deal with dry eyes with my glasses.  Can't wait till you can head to Super Walmart and pick up your groceries, do your banking, drop off film, get your nails done (ok, so I've never done that but still...), AND go to the "Lasek - we take walkins!" booth and get me  some quick eye surgery for $99.   

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 10:12:26 AM »
Your welcome Nickole. I have told lots of people about drinking more water helping in wearing contacts & with blurry vision & it usually helps. Now I just need to take my own advice.  ::) ::)

I guess the best thing to do if you wear contacts is to ask ahead of time which you should wear to the exam.

I need toric contacts but they hadn't come out with them in my eye curve the last time I checked so the contacts I wore didn't correct for that. My astigmatism wasn't that bad then so I could wear reg contacts- I just had problems with really small print & edges to things weren't quite as clear as they should be. That was years ago though so they probably have toric lenses I can wear now.

I have thought about going back to contacts but since I have become so chemically sensitive I'm leery of putting out the money & finding out that I can't use the solutions any more. The last time I wore contacts was before I became so chemically sensitive. Even then I had to use all sensitive eyes formulas. For a long time before they came out with sensitive eyes formulas I had to make my own saline with special salt tablets & distilled water. I had to make it fresh each time I cleaned my lenses & had heat disinfect my lenses. I also had to use the expensive re-wetting solution because there wasn't a pre-made saline I could use as a wetting solution & the solution that I made with the tablets couldn't be used in the eye- only with heat disinfection. I could go with disposables but that gets expensive esp in toric & I haven't wanted to spend the money. *sigh* I really prefer contacts. Maybe someday I'll try it again.

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 10:25:54 AM »
At my yearly exam they have always asked, "Is this a contact lens fitting, or for glasses?" and I've never seen him for both, so I cannot relate. 

If you showed up in glasses you should have been fine for both fittings, unless they just didn't schedule enough time (youg glasses prescription is measured differently than your contact lens presecription, and it takes longer for both vs. just one) and maybe that's why he was peeved.  Not at you or anything you did, but because he was pressed for time because you wanted both.  I'm guessing, since I've never been seen for both.

I see for glasses one year, for just the exam the next.  Then I see for glasses again because I get new glasses every other year because the others are worn out.  Similarly, when I make an appt. for my honey, they ask and I always say it is for a contact lens fitting. 

I have seen 3 optometrists since I was 6, and I like the one at Sam's club the best.  Bilberry tea and lutein are also good for eyesight.

Nickole

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 10:32:38 AM »
Um, nope, he was peeved at me.  I hardly ever get upset at rude people, but this guy was incredibly rude, I mean, I was boiling inside at his behavior.  It went on and on, not just about the contacts.  Not normal for eye docs I am sure.  I was almost shaking I was getting so upset.  He never knew though.  I just wanted to get through it and leave.  You may be right, though, that the exam is usually for one or the other.  Still, I am laughing now remembering his bahavior.  I was shocked.  My fault for trying out a Louisburg doctor - seriously.  NO docs from this town have worked out.  Thought I'd save on gas...         

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 10:38:28 AM »
Yes, that is what you get.   :D  No, even though it is not surprising for that town, it's still uncalled for.

Better luck next time.  I'll PM you with our guys.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 10:50:26 AM »
Um, nope, he was peeved at me.  I hardly ever get upset at rude people, but this guy was incredibly rude, I mean, I was boiling inside at his behavior.  It went on and on, not just about the contacts.  Not normal for eye docs I am sure.  I was almost shaking I was getting so upset.  He never knew though.  I just wanted to get through it and leave.

BTW, High blood pressure can affect your prescription.  ;)   

Nickole

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2007, 11:11:46 AM »
Um, nope, he was peeved at me.  I hardly ever get upset at rude people, but this guy was incredibly rude, I mean, I was boiling inside at his behavior.  It went on and on, not just about the contacts.  Not normal for eye docs I am sure.  I was almost shaking I was getting so upset.  He never knew though.  I just wanted to get through it and leave.

BTW, High blood pressure can affect your prescription.  ;)   

Ha ha, I hardly ever get that upset - I usually just shrug things off, but I would say at that moment my blood pressure was definately skyrocketing!

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 04:11:29 AM »
So Nikole, how are ya doing? Are you wearing contacts and glasses still?  :)

I wear glasses due to astigmatism. My eyes are almost the shape of footballs.  :-[

I tried to wear contacts recently, but my eyes were so dry and blurry by the 2nd hour I had them in. I've given up and just put my glasses back on. sigh...
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~