Author Topic: Post nasal Drip/Throat Clearing - What Can I Do?  (Read 11976 times)

Offline MadeAUTurn

• Learning
Post nasal Drip/Throat Clearing - What Can I Do?
« on: May 12, 2006, 02:21:40 PM »
Hi All!!!

I'm so grateful I’ve found this board! So many of my questions have been answered.

I'm hoping I can get some direction from everyone. Sorry it's long.

December of 2002 my son was diagnosed with a blood disorder (ITP). It’s an autoimmune disease (the body attacks itself). With ITP the platelets in the body are confused as foreign objects and eliminated by the spleen. In a normal healthy person their platelet count would be between 150,000-400,000, my son was at 4,000 by the time we reached the first hospital. When we got to the second hospital (treating) he was at 3,000. He was treated with two rounds of IVIg (Gammaglobulin). He has been in remission since that time. In most cases (85-90%) of children will never have another episode.

I believe this disorder was caused by too many rounds of antibiotics (7) for ear infections and strep throat. He hasn’t been on antibiotics since. I can honestly say I’m scared for him to ever take them again. :-X

In October of 2004 we moved to a different house. My son started this throat-clearing thing right away. It was way, way, annoying to me.  ;D  He didn’t notice it. I figured it was an allergy from the previous tenants cat, so I had the carpets cleaned. In time the throat clearing turned into full blown coughing fits at nights. After a year of this throat clearing/coughing thing he started to get annoy too. >:( We decided it was time to go to the doctors and see what the issue could be. The doctor thought it was postnasal drip, which is clearly there (it’s bad) so he tried 5 different nasal sprays with no relief. Then we went to an allergist, they had a CT scan of his nasal passages done to see if there was an obstruction, they did the skin scrapping tests (ouch!), then when all that came back negative they did the under the skin injections (double ouch!). All Negative!!! Their diagnosis was, “Well it looks like he’s just built this way.” “Oh and by the way if you put out a humidifier and give him Sudafed for the rest of his life he might get some relief” :o!!!! HUH?? No!

Okay, here’s what I really want opinions on. In November of 2005 I took my son to an “alternative” doctor, she is not a Naturopath, she has a PhD. She does Vital Hematology (live blood analysis) this is very interesting. She started my son on:
Argentyn Colloidal Silver
Probiotics (proprietary blend)
Olive Leaf Extract (Ameriden’s)
Daily Health Vitamins (proprietary blend)
Alpha Factor (proprietary blend)
OPC-165 (proprietary blend)
She gave us a magnet to magnetize our water. She recommended we eliminate sugar, gluten, dairy, wheat, corn, and increase the fiber in our diets.
As you can imagine this was expensive! My husband has had two back surgeries since 2003 and has been on workmen’s comp this whole time, so we used credit cards for the appointments and supplements. We are now running out of “cushion” on our cards, but want do what is best for our son. She, of course says all of the supplements are important, but she also said we would see a difference with in three months (we haven’t seen it in 5). My son still has the throat clearing/coughing thing and his throat is packed with postnasal drip. She left me feeling like I was choosing to stop treatment, when it wasn’t a choice, I’m just running out of money.

Any recommendations on which of the above supplements are the most important?

I broke it down to these
Probiotics
Olive Leaf Extract, are these for the yeast treatment or a daily supplement?
Daily Vitamins, any recommendations on good ones?
Alpha Factor, this is for Leaky Gut, but how long do you continue to take it?
OPC-165, I love these, My son’s behavior and focus has improved with these.
What is the magnetized water for?

We have a pretty good (not great) diet, every family should watch Super Size Me. I but some of or veggies and fruit organic, when I can afford to.

I wonder if this doctor is taking advantage of my worry for my son’s health.
I would appreciate any advice.

Dona
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:39:30 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 03:00:43 PM »
Did you follow the herb doc's advice and eliminate the dairy, wheat, soy, etc?  What were the effects? 

If he has leaky gut, you need to be very aggressive with yeast treatment and probiotics and eliminating sugars, starches and gluten until it gets better or maybe indefinately depending on how advanced it might be.

Also I'm finding that many "mucous" related problems can be traced back to homogenized milk and/or dairy products.  Here's a related thread.

But eliminating and then reintroducing foods is about the only way you can tell if he's having "allergic" reactions to them.

The Maker's Diet recommends cod liver oil for leaky gut.  Have you ever read this book?  It seems to have a plethera of healthy "normal" resources for healing the gut and it's related ailments.  Another good book that covers this issue well is "Unraveling the Mysteries of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder".  I realize your son isn't autistic, but autism is linked to many digestive disorders and the author covers them very descriptively in her book.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:41:56 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 03:10:25 PM »
Did your naturopathic doctor do an allergy test?  I don't remember reading about that in your post.  My daughter started this same very annoying clearing of the throat thing this year, too.  Sometimes, she is almost grunting, and sometimes she has a squeak with it. Is this what your son does? We eliminated all solid foods and she did a whole food and then a juice fast for a few days.  Most of it cleared, but it still remained faint.  I figured she must be allergic to dust mites, or pet dander or something, because the elimination of foods didn't work.  She had an allergy blood test done and it  turns out she is allergic to two different kinds of molds.  Both happen to run rampant in our "new" house, too.  Is your house old?  Have a damp basement?  Previous roof leak/damage?  Our roof leaked for almost two years before we had any money to fix it.  We had black mold growing in our ceiling and the drywall was even coming down. 
Perhaps, your son has this same thing.  Just a suggestion that I thought maybe it would help.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:42:09 PM by healthybratt »

Offline MadeAUTurn

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 03:14:35 PM »
Hi There

Thanks for the response!

We took out the Wheat and the Dairy for a month with no change. The doctor thought these two were the most important to try first. He still had the postnasal drip. We tried the eszekial bread and rice milk, he was not a happy camper about the rice milk he said it tastes like wet paper!  ::)

Dona
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:42:21 PM by healthybratt »

Offline MadeAUTurn

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 03:24:31 PM »
Hi There

The only allergy tests we have done are the ones the allergist's performed. When he clears his throat it sounds like he has a dry throat. He goes to bed with a jug of water every night.

What is the test done by blood for allergies called? I would be intersted in knowing more.

This house we live in now is only 5 years old, our other house was over 50 years old! This house has moldy windows in the winter that I have to clean weekly. Our old house was on a raised foundation, but no basement. All of my son's test were negative to molds, I wonder if there are more test that can be done.

Thank you for your suggestions ;D

Dona
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:42:33 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 03:27:35 PM »
Hi There

Thanks for the response!

We took out the Wheat and the Dairy for a month with no change. The doctor thought these two were the most important to try first. He still had the postnasal drip. We tried the eszekial bread and rice milk, he was not a happy camper about the rice milk he said it tastes like wet paper!  ::)

Dona

what about sugar and/or soy?

"wet paper"?  GROSS.  poor guy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:42:45 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 03:37:34 PM »
i don't know that it has a special name, just blood allergy testing.  i had it done for 96 food allergens.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:42:56 PM by healthybratt »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline MadeAUTurn

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 03:43:17 PM »

Hi
Was the test done by an Allergist or a Naturopath? I would love to know if it's a food allergy. Is there any preparation for the test, such as fasting? Sorry for all the questions,I'm very interested in this. :D

Dona
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:43:08 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 03:56:31 PM »
The blood testing was the LabCorp Ige blood test.  It tests all of your basic food, weeds, pollen, molds, pets, AND EVEN COCKROACHES!!! :)  I thought that one was kinda funny.  I just took my daughter to a regular pediatrician.  They do the same blood testing as an alternative doctor that we have gone too, but our insurance will cover the test of a pediatrician and not the alternative doctor. 
I really don't know what this may be.  I do know for a fact that those who search for truth will eventually find it!  You are doing the right thing.  Don't give up!  Sometimes you will find things right away and others it may take well a long time.  Keep us posted!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:43:23 PM by healthybratt »

Offline MadeAUTurn

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 04:09:22 PM »
Hi Again

Wouldn't the 5+ months of probiotics, Silver, OPC's and Olive Leaf make a difference? I began feeling like the doctor was taking wild guesses when the supplements didn't help. Every time we went there she would tell us there was a new condition and have us try more supplements. I reread her pamplets she sent home with us after the first visit and it says the yeast should clear up in aprox 3 month if you take the "protocol" as described.

I think I need to do more research into Candida. How long does it take to rid your body of Candida?

Thank you so much for answering all my crazy questions :P

Dona
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:43:35 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 06:27:50 PM »
Every time we went there she would tell us there was a new condition and have us try more supplements.

The truth is most doctors don't know any more about these mysterious illnesses than we do, and sometimes even less.  With technology "advancing" as it has, so many things are present in our world today that were not just 50 years ago.  Medical research either cannot keep up or is not willing to divulge what it knows to those who are willing to be trained in the art of "medicine".  Knowledge is power and those who keep it secret from everyone else control the world.  It makes the "regular guy" dependent on doctors and the doctors dependent on the FDA and pharmaceutical companies and government scientists and whoever runs the show.  Even the doctors who are willing to find out the truth sometimes can't because the knowledge is not provided and unless they have a personal stash of a zillion dollars and lots of time to do the research themselves, they are left dependent on what has already been studied and shared with the medical community and their own "trial and error".  The only way you can lessen this dependency is to educate yourself.  Reasearch everything you can find on the internet or in the public library.  There are many resources, but you have to dig, dig, dig.  This forum is a great place to start, because many of these members have begun the digging for you, but don't take their word for it or even mine, find out for yourself.  Read the links and the books provided and you'll eventually find what you're looking for.  ;)

Something else you might look into as a possibility is allergies to detergent.  Detergents are very nasty things that are in dish soap, laundry cleaners, soft soap, baby bath and shampoos.  There are a couple of threads on this topic as well.

You could probably save yourself some cash if you did the research yourself and tried eliminating things rather than adding them.  Cleansing of toxins, parasites, yeasts, & allergens is a very good start.  Then look for things to heal.  Read the books that have been suggested.  The allergy tests maybe necessary, but you can probably narrow this down a bit on your own before having to go through such a long and costly procedure.

I'm no doctor and I'm also no expert, but I've spent a few years trying to get myself back into good health.  It's been a long and sometimes tiring road, but I'm getting there.  Every time I learn something new, it seems to connect to something else I've already got stored in the memory banks.  The pieces of the puzzle start fitting together and it all begins to make sense.

Hang in there and keep searching.  You'll find it.

Here are the threads on detergents.

http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,429.0.html
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,322.0.html
http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,241.0.html
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:48:46 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
Re: Post nasal Drip/Throat Clearing - What Can I Do?
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 07:05:43 PM »
Dona,
My Dad has always had this throat clearing thing that drives my mom nuts. :)  They just started the Maker's Diet about 2 weeks ago and a week after they started it, they realized he was not clearing his throat anymore. 
He did start out pretty healthy, but I thought I might mention that.  I would recommend doing the maker's diet and read read about all the other stuff.   The way I see it, is that you can change to the maker's diet right now with the quick purchase of the book (my mom got it at walmart) and then see what else you need to change from there (detergents, etc)
I also recommend Nourishing Traditions.  I have been very pleased with it so far.  It is cookbook/health information based on traditional diets all around the world instead of fadish diets. 

Rice milk is nasty.  It is also expensive here & I read there is no nutrition in it.  Can you find raw milk?  I would avoid any milk unless you can get goat or cow milk raw.  The other "milks" just aren't worth it because they lack the fat that milk is so good for.  If you want to do a rice "milk" grind up (coffee grinder) your rice and boil it then strain it.  It would be much cheaper, maybe it wouldn't taste like paper! :)  but it might be OK in something you use milk with him for if you are just looking for the milk texture.

I agree with you that you'd think you would have seen a difference in your some with all those things the naturalpath recommended.  I second your motion that she might be taking you for a ride. 

Anyhow, try the diet and experiment with getting out the synthetic fragrances, soaps, detergents.....  that we all have chatted about on here. 

Blessings on your endeavors!!!!! 
Danna

Elbereth

Re: Post nasal Drip/Throat Clearing - What Can I Do?
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 01:09:54 PM »
The movie Super Size Me was mentioned above and I just wanted to mention that it is a great tool to expose fast food chains of all of their dirty deeds, but parents should make sure that they preview the movie first as it does contain some questionable material.  (we watched it first and then used our remote to edit as the children watched) I think it is good for children who have a love for fast foods and are old enough to reason.  Also don't let your kids hear that song because my kids heard it once months ago, and they STILL sing that "Super Size Me" song!  :D ;)

Also, I have heard that you can do an allergy test by picking out a common allergen (just one) and avoiding that for a week (in all it's forms like MILK: whey, casien etc. ) and then reintroducing it on an empty stomach (2 hours after a meal) eating a moderate amount of the item.  Check the pulse before allowing them to eat it, and then check it 5 min., 15 min., 30 min. after.  I believe if the pulse rises dramatically it means there's probably an allergen there and best to be avoided.  I know my 6 year old's heart will pound if he gets a hold of something that he's allergic to.  I realize that this is not very scientific, but it's what I would do if I couldn't afford the testing...