Author Topic: Simple Green Plantain Salve & Vinegar of the Four Thieves  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Christal

• Adept
Simple Green Plantain Salve & Vinegar of the Four Thieves
« on: May 23, 2006, 08:29:24 AM »
I just read about the Simple Green Plantain Salve in the No Greater Joy magazine.  Since we have lots of ticks and mosquitos I was very interested but my husband is worried about the petroleum in the Vaseline.  Does anyone know if you can use pure lanolin instead of the Vaseline?

Also, I have been researching the "Vinegar of the Four Thieves" on the BulkHerbStore.com.  Does anyone know how effective this is on ticks?  I have read that is is good for mosquitos.  Also, can it be used on young children (1 and 3)?  We are outdoors and lot and mosquitos are our worst problem but we have ticks too and know a handful of people who have had lyme disease.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14v6

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
Re: Simple Green Plantain Salve & Vinegar of the Four Thieves
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:54:28 AM »
Also, I have been researching the "Vinegar of the Four Thieves" on the BulkHerbStore.com.  Does anyone know how effective this is on ticks?  I have read that is is good for mosquitoes.  Also, can it be used on young children (1 and 3)?  We are outdoors and lot and mosquito's are our worst problem but we have ticks too and know a handful of people who have had Lyme disease.

We've been using the Vinegar of the Four Thieves for a couple of years now, and it has been very effective. We live in SE Coastal Georgia, so, aside from ticks and mosquitoes, we also have a seriously horrible problem with gnats, but it seems to deter them as well. Not sure about the babies, because I have never used it on anyone younger than 2, and then only diluted, on his/her clothing.
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 12:21:32 PM »
You might be able to use coconut oil instead of vaseline.  It hardens at temperatures under 70 degrees and would easily rub on with the warmth of your fingers.  Coconut oil is also very good for your skin! 
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 02:44:02 PM »
If I made the vinegar at home, do you think I could put the discarded herbs around the house to help keep bugs out of the basement?  or would it kill my plants/grass?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:02:43 AM »
I put the Vinegar o'the 4 Thieves on my 18 mos old.  I rub it in and dontput it on her hands - haven't had any problems.  Yesterday I put it on my 2 mos old - just a little to keep off the deer flies.  Didn't have a prob their either. 

healthybratt - I wouldn't see a problem putting discarded herbs around the house!  (why didn't I think of that?!)
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife