Author Topic: Improving your vision  (Read 18903 times)

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
Improving your vision
« on: August 05, 2007, 11:24:20 AM »
I have searched a do not see anything about this (although I did find the question that I have posted below…the topic just did not see fitting)…

Has anyone had any improvement with their eyes by doing things like taking Bilberry (aka Huckleberry) or by doing something like the Rebuild Your Vision Program (RYV) http://www.rebuildyourvision.com?

I have been taking Bilberry in my women’s tincture and in tea’s for years, I do not know if it has helped, but I always wear glasses or contacts because my eyes are pretty bad.  My eyes are always “uncomfortable” lately and I cannot even wear contacts for half a day anymore, hopefully that means they getting better (I should get a exam).  Does wearing correction counter any thing that is happing due to Bilberry (or whatever)?  How do you know if things like Bilberry are helping?  Do you need to continually get eye exams (which I have not had in almost 4 years  :P)?

On the RYV website I learned that wearing correction makes your eyes worse…what do you do while your eyes are trying to get better (I can not see enough to do much of anything with out help)?  Can you just go to Walgreen’s and pick up a pair of glasses with a lower prescription?

Any success stories out there?

Re: Eyedrops/Contact Lense Solution Alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 07:54:13 AM » by ClassiclyAmber

Okay...so maybe the questions should center more around contact lenses?
Do you or your spouse wear contacts? Why or why not? I've never thought
it sounded right to put stuff in your eyes like that...but Corey gets so sick
of wearing glasses all the time - so he wears contacts a lot.

However, I was just reading about what Dr. Mercola says about regaining
your sight naturally at: http://www.mercola.com/products/natural_vision_cd/index.htm

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
Re: Improving your vision
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 05:01:49 AM »
Anyone out there with any success stories?

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 08:27:17 AM »
I don't have a success story- yet, but I am starting on the road to improving my vision and teaching my children proper vision habits so that they never need glasses.   I have a book called Relearning to See by Tom Quakenbush- it is all about Bates, his research, and his methods- and much cheaper than $150 for an audio series.

http://www.amazon.com/Relearning-See-Improve-Eyesight-Naturally/dp/1556433417/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5082971-9674859?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186424378&sr=8-1

It is a big book full of fascinating information.  I am still in the process of reading it....

But in answer to the question about glasses in the meantime.  They recommend that if your vision it too poor to function without glasses to get your prescription set to the legal driving limit in your state.  They say it takes longer that way, but for many it is the only option -at least while you are driving  ;)

My sight isn't nearly as bad as my dh, so I have been trying to go without them in the house.  I can still function okay and practice better habits.  I need to get the the doctor and get my prescription adjusted!

HTH, Tammy

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 04:09:41 PM »
 I have a book called Relearning to See by Tom Quakenbush- it is all about Bates, his research, and his methods- and much cheaper than $150 for an audio series.

http://www.amazon.com/Relearning-See-Improve-Eyesight-Naturally/dp/1556433417/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-5082971-9674859?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186424378&sr=8-1

It is a big book full of fascinating information.  I am still in the process of reading it....

Thank you for the information on the book I will look it up!

Do you need to continually get eye exams (which I have not had in almost 4 years  :P)?

But in answer to the question about glasses in the meantime.  They recommend that if your vision it too poor to function without glasses to get your prescription set to the legal driving limit in your state.  They say it takes longer that way, but for many it is the only option -at least while you are driving  ;)

My sight isn't nearly as bad as my dh, so I have been trying to go without them in the house.  I can still function okay and practice better habits.  I need to get the the doctor and get my prescription adjusted!

I have went ahead and finally scheduled a exam for next week  :).

Thanks.

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:44:51 AM »
Okay I thought this was a good place to post.  I had been thinking about Lasik for myself and had an eye Dr. appt the other day.  After talking to my Dr. decided it was not for me.  Anyways, I know I read  on a thead somewhere the HIO just went with out her glasses to help improve her vision.  So along with my rise and shine tea which has bilberry that I drink daily I started going around my house with out my glasses as long as I could stand it with out getting a headache! and praying about it. So I did this for the last three months before my appt.  (have been drinking the tea for a year)  And when I went in my Vision had IMPROVED!!  My Dr. was amazed.  I am nearsighted and he had never seen someones vision get better.  So YEAH!! I am so excited about it.  Now my vision didn't improve drasticlly but enough to lower my prescribtion.  So I think it is working!  I am going to keep it up and see if I can't slowly work my way down to not needing glasses.  Thanks WTM for all the help. 
Jenny
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:57:46 AM »
Iam very interested in info on this as well. Not to discourage you but to make sure we are comparing "apples to apples" have you been preggo or breastfeeding lately? My prescription changed a whole 1/2 pt within 1 month while breastfeeding...
Okay I thought this was a good place to post.  I had been thinking about Lasik for myself and had an eye Dr. appt the other day.  After talking to my Dr. decided it was not for me.  Anyways, I know I read  on a thead somewhere the HIO just went with out her glasses to help improve her vision.  So along with my rise and shine tea which has bilberry that I drink daily I started going around my house with out my glasses as long as I could stand it with out getting a headache! and praying about it. So I did this for the last three months before my appt.  (have been drinking the tea for a year)  And when I went in my Vision had IMPROVED!!  My Dr. was amazed.  I am nearsighted and he had never seen someones vision get better.  So YEAH!! I am so excited about it.  Now my vision didn't improve drasticlly but enough to lower my prescribtion.  So I think it is working!  I am going to keep it up and see if I can't slowly work my way down to not needing glasses.  Thanks WTM for all the help. 
Jenny

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:10:57 AM »
Well, My vision had stayed pretty much the same since I was a kid, (started in glasses in around 3rd grade) Until I got pregnant.  Then it went down hill!  First child not to bad but after second went down even more.  I have not been pregnant or breastfeeding for almost 4 years.  I have a 4y. old and 9 y.old. and breastfed for a year.    I will say that My vision has never been terrible.  I can see around the house okay but can not comfortably drive or go outside with out glassses.  And have a hard time watching T.V. with out glasses.  I have -1.00 in one side and -1.13 now in the other.  Only one side improved but that is still improvement to me.  (It was -1.25 in the worst side)  After having second child it went from barley -1.00 to 1.25!  I originally just wanted to find something to keep my vision from getting worst.  But am glad that it is helping my vision improve. 
I've also read about some EO's that you can apply topically UNDER your eye that are said to improve vision.  I have never tried them.  It was Sandlewood and juniper I think.  But from youngliving they are REALLY expensive and I couldn't talk Dh into it.  Hope that answers your questions.
Jenny

Offline bighornbound

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 11:51:30 AM »
I am really interested in this also.  My eyesight is really bad.  -3.75 and -4.00  I have tried going without anything, but that is pretty impossible. Any more informaiton on this would be wonderful!  Keep us updated! 

Offline brigonia

• Adept
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 11:57:23 AM »
My dh and I both had glasses.  I only used mine for watching movies.  Dh wore his all the time and had a stronger prescription.  He wore his glasses out and started to wear mine all the time.  I wasn't using them anymore.  I told him about some info I had read that the glasses actually weakened vision and he started to wear them less.  He got down to only needing them when driving at night.  After a few months of that he stopped using them.  I don't even know where they are now.  We have not gotten eye exams to confirm improvement of vision, but dh says his vision is great and he doesn't get headaches from eyestrain anymore.  In fact, his vision may be better than mine now.  He can read signs easier than I can.  He didn't do any special eye exercises besides taking a break from computer work to look at something in the distance.   :)

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 04:35:59 AM »
After much reading I personally believe that glasses can be a crutch.  They can keep your vision bad and make it get worse.  That said I think they are helpful too.  I can only go for so long before I need to put my contacts in or my glasses on to keep from getting headaches.  But i think it's like any muscle and the more I work on it the longer I can go with out my glasses.  I also think it is something that will happen slowly over time!  I'll let you know how things go.
Jenny

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 06:33:39 AM »
I will be watching this thread with interest!  :D  I have very poor vision and can't function without my glasses, even in the house for more than a few mintues. :'( :'( :'( I would love to have better vision! 

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 08:38:03 AM »
My dh and I both had glasses.  I only used mine for watching movies.  Dh wore his all the time and had a stronger prescription.  He wore his glasses out and started to wear mine all the time.  I wasn't using them anymore.  I told him about some info I had read that the glasses actually weakened vision and he started to wear them less.  He got down to only needing them when driving at night.  After a few months of that he stopped using them.  I don't even know where they are now.  We have not gotten eye exams to confirm improvement of vision, but dh says his vision is great and he doesn't get headaches from eyestrain anymore.  In fact, his vision may be better than mine now.  He can read signs easier than I can.  He didn't do any special eye exercises besides taking a break from computer work to look at something in the distance.   :)

*Putting on my mother hen bonnet* You may need to be careful about that. If your driver's license is restricted for glasses/contacts, you may want to get exams to verify the improvement!

Now, to get off of this ride w/ my vision! I love this success story! :) Thanks for sharing it.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »
so should we all chip in to pay for one of these courses and than share the info w/ each other. :) I'm gonna try to get a book from the library...if you have the time to sit in front of a computer several eye health books have limited previews on google books but I didn't have the time to sit here and read and see what was and wasn't helpful...i guess I'm old schooll..I'd like to flip through a book instead of scrooll down...seems easier to me..

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 05:45:36 PM »
...They recommend that if your vision it too poor to function without glasses to get your prescription set to the legal driving limit in your state.  They say it takes longer that way, but for many it is the only option -at least while you are driving ;)

I had went to the eye doctor a few months ago to get a exam and asked them if I could get a lower prescription and they would not do it.  I tried finding out what the legal driving limit is in my state is and they would not tell me.  I called the DMV they told me it is whatever the Dr presripes.  I have tried the glasses in the drug stores, but they did not help at all - I guess my vision is to poor (3.5 or something like that)  :-\.  Does anyone know how to get a lower prescription, and what is legal limits for driving (approximately - I would guess each state is different)?

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 05:56:04 PM »
I have never tried this, but I saw this in "The Master Cleanse" book by Stanley Burroughs:

Special formula for eye drops

This formula has been used with most excellent results for many years with absolutely no dangerous side effects when coupled with a change of diet, the reflex work and color therapy. Many cases of glaucoma, cataracts, spots film, and growths of various kinds have completely disappeared. The drops may be applied one at a time to both eyes several times daily. Continue use until the condition is cleared up. Many people have completely overcome the necessity for glasses. In all cases eyes have improved greatly. There are a number of book written on eye exercises; their systems help greatly to bring the sight back to normal. Most people would do well to learn and perform exercises to insure the retention of normal vision.

Formula: 5 parts (measures) distilled water

2 parts best grade of honey

1 part pure apple cider vinegar

(Sterling or other good brand)

Mix together and store in a bottle. It need not be refrigerated as contents will not spoil. If eyes are in good condition, keep them that way by regular use as no harm can ever come by using it. It has a strong smarting effect for a moment, then the eyes clear and feel very good after each use. These drops have proven to be superior to most commercial drops.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 06:42:30 PM »
...They recommend that if your vision it too poor to function without glasses to get your prescription set to the legal driving limit in your state.  They say it takes longer that way, but for many it is the only option -at least while you are driving ;)

You could get glasses on line (google $8 glasses..think its zen optical) and just make the prescription what you want...i would recommend having a copy of your prescription though so the other size details are correct

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 03:04:19 AM »
Question:  Isn't it true that the reason why someone's vision is bad is because of the shape of their eyeball?  And the light that comes in through the pupil doesn't focus on the back of the eye, but rather in front of it, or behind it...and isn't that what causes bad vision?  If so, how does one's vision improve by simply not wearing their glasses?  Surely, the shape of the eye does not change?  Or, does the eye's shape have nothing to do with it?  Is it all in the eye muscles?  I am near-sighted & have astigmatism....been this way since I was 7....it sure would be nice to not have to wear glasses anymore, but I am skeptical.
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 04:07:39 AM »
I don't think the shape of the eyeball is always the cause, but with diabetics, that is often the case.  The diabetics eye changes shape with frequent, high blood sugars causing blurry vision and (so long as there is no permanent damage) can return to the regular shape when blood sugars are back under control. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 04:46:14 AM »
Question:  Isn't it true that the reason why someone's vision is bad is because of the shape of their eyeball?  And the light that comes in through the pupil doesn't focus on the back of the eye, but rather in front of it, or behind it...and isn't that what causes bad vision?  If so, how does one's vision improve by simply not wearing their glasses?  Surely, the shape of the eye does not change?  Or, does the eye's shape have nothing to do with it?  Is it all in the eye muscles?  I am near-sighted & have astigmatism....been this way since I was 7....it sure would be nice to not have to wear glasses anymore, but I am skeptical.
I agree with Kati that the shape can be the cause but not always.  You would need to research astigmtism more because I think but am not at all sure that may have to do with shape.  If I learn any more I'll let you know.  But if I were you I would research it a little.
Jenny

Offline TXMom

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 07:13:53 PM »
Has anyone tried Collodial Silver as eye drops.  I was told to use this with eye infections, tired eyes, etc.  While I have found it to help and make the whites of my eyes very white I wondered if it might effect/improve vision also.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 11:41:19 AM »
I couldn't find another place to put this so I thought I'd try here.  My husband is going for an eye appt. tomorrow and we expect them to want to dilate his eyes.  Is there any harm in this or does it really even help?  We want to be safe and with all the caution of xrays and ultrasound I wondered if this was also unnecessary.  I'm not thinking we want to put too many chemicals onto the thinnest membrane in our bodies...

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 07:35:39 AM »
Resurrecting an old thread...

I am trying a method pioneered by a guy called Bates. He is mentioned earlier in the thread... in a book by Quackenbush I think. What a wonderful name for an alt-med type guy ;)

Here is the full text of Bates' original book: The Cure of Imperfect Sight by Treatment Without Glasses

Here is a site that gives basic "Bates" directions and some new exercises that may be useful: seeing.org

Any other interested parties like to share their experiences here... I'd love to hear them. I'll post mine in time.

--gabe
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:37:51 AM by Gabriel Anast »

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 08:39:39 AM »
I have read most of the book by Quakenbush.  It is hard to get through and I had trouble figuring out exactly what I was supposed to do. ???

I am currently reading a book called The Secret of Perfect Vision.  The writing style is strange, but I think I am getting more out of it.  The exercises are more active than Bates methods and he suggests using + lenses to correct myopia and - to correct farsightedness.

What I have done and have had some success with is this.  I was at -2.5 in one eye and -2.25 in the other.  I stopped wearing glasses for close work like reading  or the computer and I got some glasses that were -1.5 for both eyes around January that I wear the rest of the time. 

I went to the eye doctor last week and I tested at -1.5 in both eyes!  So I am ordering some weaker glasses (you can get them cheap online if you know your presciption) and am going to incorporate some exercises and Dr. Christopher/Schulzes eye wash into the program. 

My oldest daughter (10) has started showing signs of developing myopia, so I am going to have her do exercises with me, learn good vision habits,  and she wears + lenses for reading to help her eyes to correct themselves and heal.  I don't want her to travel the road of progressively stronger lenses like her parents.

So I have seen some positive results and am motivated to double my efforts and get rid of my glasses all together.  And to teach my children how to use their eyes properly to prevent them from needed corrective lenses. 

I will try to post a summary of what I have learned when I finish the book. 

Tammy

Offline snowflake

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 09:11:53 AM »
I got that book by Quakenbush, when seekingtruth mentioned it (over a year ago).  I read about half of the book and tried the things they said.  I often tried to go with out glasses.  This was difficult, because my eyes are really bad.  They are -5.50 and -6.75 !!!  Anyway, I had an eye appointment last week and the eye doctor said that each eye had improved by 0.3, which he said was a significant change.  He also said that around my age (30) your eyes do tend to improve slightly.... so, I don't know if those things helped or not.  :-\ 

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 06:22:30 AM »
I too have the book by Quakenbush.  I am still going through it.  I just did an eye test with my kids at home and I guess we had better figure this out soon or some will be in glasses.  I have to be the test case in my family on this since my husband's vision is much, much worse than mine (he is skeptical).  I do know that just going without my glasses helps a lot, so seekingtruth's positive results are encouraging!

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »
What I have done and have had some success with is this.  I was at -2.5 in one eye and -2.25 in the other.  I stopped wearing glasses for close work like reading  or the computer and I got some glasses that were -1.5 for both eyes around January that I wear the rest of the time. 

That's an interesting concept that makes sense.  Is it supposed to work for presbiopia?  The 'old age' eyes are what I'm dealing with!  I've always had perfect vision and this is hard to swallow!  If getting a pair of reading glasses in the opposite correction would work...I'll spend the $10!

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 04:47:40 PM »
Bumping this topic up in hopes that someone has some results to post.  :)
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 06:08:47 PM »
I wonder what would help for my little boy before they do get bad enough to need glasses? One of his eyes are weaker than the other and he is getting head aches. We don't watch TV. He is 11 years old.

So are there exercises he can do to help them?

I have heard of Carrot juice and eating a cup of blueberries a day can help with cataracts, but I am not sure if it does for young ones eyes.

Offline LearningMommy6

• Learning
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »
I have two sons who suffer from this--the term is amblyopia.  They both must wear glasses and patch the stronger eye to strengthen the weaker eye's vision.  They didn't complain of headaches or poor vision.  They passed their eye exams at the pediatrician so I thought they were OK.   One son had 20/50 in the weak eye but almost 20/20 in the stronger eye so he was basically using just the strong eye for close-up work.  The younger son had 20/30 in one and 20/20 in the other so it wasn't as bad with him.   

The danger with letting this condition go untreated is that the brain will eventually shut off the vision signals coming from the weaker eye and the child will become functionally blind in that eye.  My doctor said that if it is caught before nine years old there is usually a good outcome with treatment.  With just six months of patching, there has been improvement with my sons' weaker eyes.   

I would urge you to take your son to an opthamologist as soon as possible.  This is one condition that needs a doctor's involvement.   

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »
Thanks for that. I was thinking of patching the strong eye myself but I think it would be smarter to let the Dr. tell me and go from there. I have heard it could be a bit risky. The thing is you can not tell by looking at his eyes. They are nto looking in different directions as far as I can see. I think the Dr. said his are 20/30. He told me to take him to the eye Dr. guess I will be doing that.