Author Topic: Help! I just found out I have food allergies! (A primer for the newbies :)  (Read 30824 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Help! I just found out I have food allergies! (A primer for the newbies :)
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 03:39:55 PM »
has anyone with gluten allergies used their mill for grains? i haven't found any real use for them, cuz right now i'm having trouble w/ basically everything, (esp. anything w/ carbs) but i considered the fact that my mill is REALLY contaminated w/ gluten.  do you suppose it would help any to mill popcorn or something to "clean" it out before doing GF grains? 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 05:03:08 PM »
The oils naturally found in br. rice and br. rice flour tend to go rancid quickly. If you buy in bulk make sure you have freezer or other cool storage place available.

Ohhh.  I bought 25lbs of brown rice flour last year.  I put it in the freezer for a few weeks to make sure if there was anything "organic" in it that it would be killed.  Since then I've stored it in a closet in a cool room in our home.  Would it be rancid?  I had not ever heard this about BRF.

thanks,

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 05:37:15 AM »
The oils naturally found in br. rice and br. rice flour tend to go rancid quickly. If you buy in bulk make sure you have freezer or other cool storage place available.

Ohhh.  I bought 25lbs of brown rice flour last year.  I put it in the freezer for a few weeks to make sure if there was anything "organic" in it that it would be killed.  Since then I've stored it in a closet in a cool room in our home.  Would it be rancid?  I had not ever heard this about BRF.

thanks,

patti
It's the fats (in the germ) in flours that go rancid.  That's why white flour doesn't rancid, because the germ (fats) is removed.

Is there oil in it?  If so, then rancidity is always a possibility.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 06:13:03 AM »

thanks,

patti
It's the fats (in the germ) in flours that go rancid.  That's why white flour doesn't rancid, because the germ (fats) is removed.

Is there oil in it?  If so, then rancidity is always a possibility.

You mean visible oil?  No.  Well, I'm assuming no.  It's in one of those heavy brown bags but nothing is leaking through it (onto my new carpet :D ).  Still okay or should I throw it in the freezer?

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 07:40:30 AM »
I'm not an allergy pro...just some thoughts IN CAPS...:)

Just a couple days ago discovered my world has changed as I know it.  I found out I'm allergic to dairy, egg, gluten, peanuts, almonds and...sugar!  I would greatly appreciate suggestions for a couple of things that have stumped me. 
I THINK I MENTIONED THE SUPER ALLERGY GIRL COOKBOOK/WEB SITE TO YOU ALREADY...http://www.thesuperallergycookbook.com/ SHE USES SUGAR, BUT YOU CAN SUB.  WOULD YOU USE TOFU?  I THINK SHE HAS A SCRAMBLED EGG RECIPE W/ IT.  I LOVE THE BOOK AND AM ORDERING MY OWN.
1. I'm not sure what to eat for breakfast.  We find that we do really well (read don't do so hot) with a high protein breakfast.  Eggs and toast or hot cereal with a large glass of raw cow's milk were our normal.  I have tried a hot cereal with just nuts before and it still just didn't seem to do the trick even with lots of fat...family was hungry soon and got cranky due to blood sugar drops b4 the next snack/meal came around.  What are some good options.  I'm having trouble thinking outside my box!
HOPEFULLY, YOUR BODIES WILL ADJUST TO THE NEW WAY OF EATING [WHEN OF COURSE, YOU GET THERE ;)], AND BE MORE SATIATED WITH THE FOOD.  SOUPS?  MEAT?  SKILLET STIR-FRY?  MY BLENDER PANCAKE RECIPE MAY WORK...WILL TRY AND LINK:  http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,16986.msg169783.html#msg169783

I have made it w/ water...the egg is optional.  I do add some flax...have used brown rice, oats, buckwheat, millet, sorghum, etc. in various combos.  We've used it for a few year snow and love it.

You're in a great place here to get good help.   ;D

I tried to reply to this on the recipe thread above but it must be locked.  I tried the blender pancakes several times now.  Batter looked great, but they are sticking.  I've had to throw the batter away each time.  If we could do pancakes it would be such a blessing!  I used 1 tbsp. flax for the egg, coconut oil in batter and pan, and just water.  I also added 1/3 sunflower seeds in place of the grain my last batch to make them a complete protein. My pan is stainless steel.  Would using butter be better?  A different pan?  We don't do teflon, but maybe a cast iron would be better?  We done this before regularly with milk, eggs, butter and rarely had sticking probs.  ???
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 07:58:59 AM »

thanks,

patti
I put some info over here.  Brown Rice Storage. You'll have to decide. I find that smell and taste starts to change at 4-6 months if stored at room temp which is how I first became aware of this issue.  :P

And I think HB meant any oil can go rancid, specifically in this case, the naturally occurring oils in the germ of br. rice and flour.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 08:00:41 AM »
I sent you a pancake recipe that should work well for you.  But it likely will not work with a blender.  One thing I have discovered with GF grains is you MUST mix the dry ingredients before adding the liquids or they don't blend real well or cook well.  The other thing I forgot to mention is there are very few recipes that I use that actually taste good raw.  Ya know, like, gee, I think I'll take a swipe of cookie dough.   ;D  Unless it's a mix like Namaste I would recommend you NOT taste uncooked GF doughs!   :P      :-X

Try the recipe I sent you and see what happens.  Although, now that I think of it, it doesn't work on my SS pan either so it might be the GF grains just don't do well on SS.  I would guess a well greased iron pan would work.

patti

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 08:04:21 AM »
mommyjen, that thread was specifically for the cookbook recipes. Maybe try this thread. http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,13274.0.html

YoopreMama

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 08:07:30 AM »
It was prob. locked if it was the cookbook thread.  I posted them on the GFCF thread, too, somewhere.  Here:  http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1398.msg117901.html#msg117901

I'm SO sorry they been wasted.  :(  I DO cook them on a hot, buttered/greased cast iron pan w/ success.  If the pan isn't hot enough, they do stick.  I don't know what SS would do with them, but my SS one will make eggs stick if it isn't hot and greasy enough.
I tried to reply to this on the recipe thread above but it must be locked.  I tried the blender pancakes several times now.  Batter looked great, but they are sticking.  I've had to throw the batter away each time.  If we could do pancakes it would be such a blessing!  I used 1 tbsp. flax for the egg, coconut oil in batter and pan, and just water.  I also added 1/3 sunflower seeds in place of the grain my last batch to make them a complete protein. My pan is stainless steel.  Would using butter be better?  A different pan?  We don't do teflon, but maybe a cast iron would be better?  We done this before regularly with milk, eggs, butter and rarely had sticking probs.  ???

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2010, 06:22:44 PM »
One other thing I just learned.  If you are a person with multiple food allergies, do NOT use coral calcium as a form of supplement.  People with food allergies have a body that is already struggling and when throwing in a supplement created from a highly allergenic food (coral), what one ends up with is an extremely high oyster allergy even though you don't eat oysters.   :-X

just a heads up.

patti