Author Topic: Are there any naturopaths or homeopaths on here??  (Read 3389 times)

Offline jessicah

• Adept
Are there any naturopaths or homeopaths on here??
« on: July 28, 2007, 07:37:39 AM »
i want to become some type of holistic doctor. but I have no idea how to get started, find a good school etc. I really would like to be an herbalist but I am more interested in treating people more thoroughly than what a traditional herbalist does.

Any info. or experience in this would be appreciated

Jessica
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:28:17 PM by Gabriel Anast »
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline dara

• Master
Re: Are there any naturopaths or homeopaths on here??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 09:08:22 AM »
Here's the school where I got my nutrition cert. They have some e-classes, and I know the school offers Naturopath cert. too, but I don't know if you can do that online or not.. you could e-mail them for more info. I'm pretty sure you would need some core pre-Med classes which you can get anywhere (anatomy and physiology, and that kind of thing). HTH a little...

http://www.blueheronacademy.com/elearning.htm
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:28:29 PM by Gabriel Anast »
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 10:38:09 AM »
I received a BS in Holistic Nutrition with a concentration in herbology.  Mine was completely done as a distance course as I did not intend to practice.  I had already been an RN for over 10 years when I started this program and had already done the college thing and did not care to repeat it.  I was pretty much looking to expand my knowledge base at the time.  I feel that the program I took fit what I needed.
I would recommend either talking to someone who already has the job you would someday like (most everyone like to mentor) and find out where they went to school, or look and see where some of the different authors whose books you like may have graduated from.
Many doctors that practice in alternative therapies actually attended medical school and are MD, or osteopaths (DO).  Many chiropractors also specialize in alternative modalities....it all really depends upon how broad you want to think. 
I did classes thru  Clayton College of Natural Health www.ccnh.edu   and they do offer ND certifications along with multiple degrees (BS/MS) in holistic nutrition and homeopathy, but I don't know how much practical experience you would get from something like this.  You would really need to seek out clinical situations on your own if you went this route.
There are many colleges and univerities around the country that specialize in these degrees.  I would again recommend that you talk to as many people in the field and to those who might be already doing what you think you would like to do--look people up online or in the yellow pages, even.
Life Chiropractic College in Atlanta also offers other alternative degrees in addition to Chiro.  Bastyr U is also supposed to be good.
Good luck...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:28:40 PM by Gabriel Anast »

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 03:35:16 PM »
I found this herbalist course through a magazine sent to me by God.  I'm firmly convinced.  I do not know how I got on this list, but I thank God for it and give Him the glory :)

This is a 36 week online course teaching:

Anatomy and Physiology

Herbal Materia Medica covering 200 herbs

Epidemiology: Spread of Disease

Combining Botanical and Conventional Medicine for Specific Illness

Growing, Harvesting, Drying and Making Herbal Medicines

Herbal Pharmacognosy: Active Constituents, Toxicology, Biochemical Actions

Diseases and Symptoms: Evaluating For Home Diagnosis

Basic Nutrition: Kitchen Medicine-food nutrients, impact on health, interactions with drugs, herbs, or other foods

Plant Identification: Video and Field Guides

Go to www.naturallyhealthy.org

I plan on taking this course to better serve my family.  It looks thorough and it seems to cover everything that I feel I need to know at this point in time.  It's worth looking into :)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:28:57 PM by Gabriel Anast »
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
thanks for all your replies. unfortunately, it will take some searching to find anyone for me to get mentoring from. That takes time....time that I dont have. Basically, I want to work from home, just helping people get healthy.
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 07:52:38 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has done the Tree of Light (natures sunshine)
courses or is a consultant for them?  Wondering scope and sequence.  How it helped your understanding of the body and herbs.  Those kind of questions.  Thank you for your insight.

Have a fruitful day.

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:10:21 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has done the Tree of Light (natures sunshine)
courses or is a consultant for them? 

I have never done the course but this webpage gives a basic overview of the course...  But you may have this info already.?.?

http://www.treelite.com/courses/chc.php

I'm a member but not a consultant.  I'm glad you gave the name and information on this course because I've been looking for information on it on the NSP site and couldn't find a thing.  Thanks!   

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 04:24:01 PM »
Glad I could help out!!
I have been to the website. 
They do have an e-newsletter that you can sign up for.
Been reading that as well.