Author Topic: How long is food safe in the freezer??  (Read 9235 times)

Offline Created4Jeff

• Adept
How long is food safe in the freezer??
« on: July 26, 2007, 04:56:44 PM »
I guess I need to be a little more specific about what kind of food I'm asking about.  I'm making my own baby food from fresh veggies out of the garden.  I'm storing them in clean baby food jars in the freezer with labels on them with the date.  How long are they good for?  My sister just found out she's pregnant, so I'm wondering if I make an over abundance if it will last for her baby.  Anyone know??
Privileged Help Meet to Jeff 8 years; Happy Mom of Katie - 4, & Taylor - 1.
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  2 Timothy 1:7

Offline BoPeep

• Learning
Re: How long is food safe in the freezer??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 05:01:24 PM »
I guess I need to be a little more specific about what kind of food I'm asking about.  I'm making my own baby food from fresh veggies out of the garden.  I'm storing them in clean baby food jars in the freezer with labels on them with the date.  How long are they good for?  My sister just found out she's pregnant, so I'm wondering if I make an over abundance if it will last for her baby.  Anyone know??

I've read that up to 3 months is best, and probably 6 months at the most. I don't know for sure from experience, because I never make enough to last that long, but that's just what I've read several places.

Offline BoPeep

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 05:05:33 PM »
Do you have a deep freezer? I don't, so I don't know for sure, but can't you store things longer in a deep freezer than a regular one in a fridge unit??

Offline Created4Jeff

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 08:33:14 AM »
Sorry, I guess I didn't tell you what kind of freezer.  It is a deep freezer.  Upright if that makes a difference.  I was originally going to just make enough for my 6 mo old son, but now that my sis is expecting and we planted a HUGE garden, I could do enough for her child too.  Before I put all that work into it though, I want to make sure it will keep! ;D

I'm just full of questions! I have another while I'm at it.  We blanched and froze some corn on the cob.  Monday night we boiled it but didn't eat it all.  Would it be okay to scrape it off the cob, puree it, and freeze it (again) for my ds?  I hate to waste it.  We hardly ate any of it, and it was a gallon size freezer bag full!
Privileged Help Meet to Jeff 8 years; Happy Mom of Katie - 4, & Taylor - 1.
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  2 Timothy 1:7

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 12:53:41 PM »
The big difference would be if your freezer is a frost free type or not.  Food will freezer burn much quicker in the frostless.  We learned the hard way and now happily defrost our freezers. 
On a side note - I froze my baby food into ice cube trays and then would pop the cubes into ziploc bags.  That way in the beginning I would just thaw a cube, but as the babies grew I would thaw more per meal.  It worked great.  I don't know how long they last in the freezer because we would use them up right away, and it has been 6 years since I have done it. 

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 03:25:42 AM »
How long is a turkey good for in the freezer?  I have a turkey in a deep freezer since last November, and was wondering if I could use it this year?  I bought one and then someone gave us a turkey, so I just always forgot about it, and now that Thanksgiving is coming....

wendy

Offline happy2bhere

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 04:07:41 AM »
I would use that turkey!  We buy meat in large quantities (side of beef, etc.) and have eaten beef that was butchered a year and a half before, no problem.  I guess I'd think twice if it had been in there for 2 years or more.

Actually, I believe there is a funny story about that, and it goes something like this:

A lady called up the turkey help desk around Thanksgiving and wanted to know if a 10-year-old turkey in her freezer was safe to cook.  The help-desk employee said, yes, it was safe, although probably not as flavorful anymore.  The lady said, that's OK, I'm going to donate it to the local food pantry.    >:(

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 06:16:12 AM »
Does anyone know if the turkey that I thawed out about 3 days ago in the fridge is still good to eat?  The turkey is cooked turkey that I froze.  Just wasn't sure how long it's good after it's thawed.

thanks
wendy

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 06:19:18 AM »
Does anyone know if the turkey that I thawed out about 3 days ago in the fridge is still good to eat?  The turkey is cooked turkey that I froze.  Just wasn't sure how long it's good after it's thawed.

thanks
wendy

If it's been in the frig then I would use it.  I've kept cooked meat for up to a week.  The only thing I look for is bad look or smell to it.  (and my teens eating up before I get to use it!)
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 03:02:23 PM »
Does anyone know if the yellow squash I froze last year in our deep freeze freezer would still be good?  I know, I froze so much yellow squash that we still probably have about 7 to 10 bags left.  With the garden now producing more squash, I'm wondering if we can eat this up in a casserole or something?

Thanks
Wendy

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »
Yes, I would keep it. Just put it on top of the new stuff you freeze this year and use it first. If it's been deep in the freezer it shouldn't even be frosted or freezer burnt. The good part is, if it's a good garden year, that if it's looking or smelling old, you can add it to the compost and start over with fresh.  :)