Author Topic: Homemade Lip Balm Recipes  (Read 24153 times)

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
Homemade Lip Balm Recipes
« on: June 27, 2006, 03:34:59 PM »
A girlfriend of mine makes this yummy homemade lip balm and it's becoming quite popular...she was shocked to find a picture of someone sporting it at the MTV Style Awards! I just got some and it smells so good and is very silky smooth. I like the vegan kind because it's very shiny. She's an awesome Christian girl who is very crafty and an awesome entrepeneur! I thought I'd share her stuff with you guys since it's homemade and all natural (as far as I can tell!) I got some of her items for friends and family at Christmas and it was a hit! She also makes soaps and body scrubs...fun girly stuff!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=912

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
Re: Homemade Lip Balm Recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 09:06:14 AM »
I found some homemade recipes I had photo over 10 yrs. ago from Cure for all Diseases. I'd love to read it now. Anyway they had a recipe for lip soother which I was interested in with all this cold wind.

For dry, burning lips. Heat 1 level tsp sodium alginate plus 1 cup water until dissolved. After cooking, pour it into a small bottle to carry in your purse or pocket (refrigerate the remainder). Dab it on whenever needed. If the consistency isn't right for you, add water or boil it down further. You can make a better lip soother by adding some lysine from a crushed tablet, vitamin C powder and a vitamin E capsule to the alginate mix. If you have a persistent problem with chapped lips, try going off citrus juice.

Does this recipe sound good? Any ideas out there? Any experience?

Offline laurajeanne

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 07:42:01 AM »
I am hosting a homeschool girls' club next month where the girls do a craft or learn a homemaking skill.  I was thinking of showing the girls how to make lip balm, but it would need to be a fairly simple recipe.  Does anyone have such a recipe, and where would I get the supplies?

Thanks! :)

~rm 
If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. - C.S. Lewis

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 07:52:39 AM »
  Does anyone have such a recipe, and where would I get the supplies?

OOOH, I DO , I DO!!!  :D 
This is the recipe my daughter used and sold some of her own.

HONEY BEE LIP BALM

One 1X1 inch cube beeswax
2 TBSP Olive OIL(I used half olive half coconut)
1 1/2 tsp. honey
1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
1/4 piece of red or pink crayon(OPTIONAL)

1.)  Grate beeswax using small holes on a cheese grater until you have 1 TBSP of packed shaved gratings.

2.)  Put beeswax in a coffee mug and put in a pot of simmering water(1-2 in.)
If you are using the colored crayons, add it, now.

3.)  Simmer the water on low until all of the beeswax melts.

4.)  Stir the oil into the melted beeswax

5.)  Remove from heat and stir in honey and vanilla. 

6.) Put some into small plastic or metal containers and refrigerate lip balm for 30. min. 

ENJOY!!  :-*

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 08:06:47 AM »
This might sound a little strange but I have been using Lanolin for years on my lips.   I started using it when my children were little.   They all sucked their thumbs and in the winter they would develop a rash on their chin from the saliva.  I started putting Lanolin on it and it would clear up in no time.   Lanolin is slightly sticky but with the warmth of your skin is smooths out.   The stickiness helps it stay on a little better.   I mix some of my mineral makeup colors with the lanolin and have custom colored lip balm.   Add a little peppermint oil, orange oil or whatever oil you like and it not only looks good it smells good too.    I do heat it for a couple of seconds in the microwave when I am addint the minerals so it is think and mixes easily.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Mom_to_12

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 08:27:19 AM »
I make and sell all natural lip balms also.
Here are some links for recipes and supplies:

From Nature With Love:
http://fromnaturewithlove.com/recipe/default.asp

Wholesale Supplies Plus:
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/default.aspx

Snowdrift Farm:
http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/formulary.html

Plus, just type "natural lip balm recipe" in a search engine, and you will surely find many other sources.

You will also notice that these sites also have recipes for many other natural items.  You may be inspired to try homemade butters, creams, lotions, soap, body scrubs, etc...

Personally, I wouldn't recommend crayons for lip color.  Don't they taste "yucky"?  If you do want to tint it (opperative word - TINT)  Maybe a smidge of lipstick, or some body safe colorant.  I don't color mine.  They turn out an nice off white, but go on clear.
 ;D Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 11:23:40 AM by Mom_to_12 »

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 02:46:56 PM »
Thought of an idea "outside the box" again and wondered if anyone had any cautions against it:

1. Buy a bunch of those really cheap chapsticks at Walmart or some such (Our grocery store gives them away occasionally) and take the chapstick out (twirl it upwards like stick glue until almost to the end, then take a knife to it and scrape out as much as is possible)

2. Make favorite lip balm recipe, adding more beeswax if necessary

3. Carefully pour lip balm into waiting chapstick containers, let cool, replace lids.

4. Take wrappers off chapstick, use permanent marker to make own design/name/date.

Wala! Your very own chapstick!:)

I haven't been able to buy any beeswax yet so that plus wondering if lip balm mixtures are too hot and would melt the containers has stopped me from trying it at the moment.

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 05:38:38 PM »
I was just doing a search on the web for lip balms and for red/pink coloring the suggestion given was beet juice!!!  Isn't that creative?  What a great idea!  Anyway, just thought I'd share...since it is more natural and easy to come by.

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 07:04:52 PM »
Thought of an idea "outside the box" again and wondered if anyone had any cautions against it:

1. Buy a bunch of those really cheap chapsticks at Walmart or some such (Our grocery store gives them away occasionally) and take the chapstick out (twirl it upwards like stick glue until almost to the end, then take a knife to it and scrape out as much as is possible)

2. Make favorite lip balm recipe, adding more beeswax if necessary

3. Carefully pour lip balm into waiting chapstick containers, let cool, replace lids.

4. Take wrappers off chapstick, use permanent marker to make own design/name/date.

Wala! Your very own chapstick!:)

I haven't been able to buy any beeswax yet so that plus wondering if lip balm mixtures are too hot and would melt the containers has stopped me from trying it at the moment.

I've made my own lip balm and used an old chapstick container to pour it into... it didn't melt the container and worked quite well. I would also recommend looking on ebay to find containers... I've found that I have to search a lot but once I find them they're not too expensive!
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline Mama Bear

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 01:29:43 AM »
with winter coming, my family could really use lip balm. I have one DD who has a terrible habit of licking her lips....to the point where they are red, irritated with broken skin (it looks just awful as well as painful). A friend made lip balm a few years back, but we didn't like it---It was more like smearing wax on your lips than anything....and to get my kids to use it, it has to taste good and have pleasant odor.....my friend's did not.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 09:02:31 AM »
Um, if it tastes good, then the kids will be more prone to the licking problem which will only contribute to the dryness and dependency on more lip balm.   ::)  Just thought I'd throw that out there, FWIW!

it has to taste good and have pleasant odor.....my friend's did not.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
I make my lipbalms just like salves, I just use alot more beeswax and actually go a bit heavier on the essential oils (I try to make mine mimic the Burts bees one and love the peppermint).
I infuse my olive oil with healing herbs like comfrey and this also seems to help heal up lips, as mine tend towards the dry side this timeof year.

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 03:15:36 AM »
We kinda go with what Mrs. B does--throw together essential oils (peppermint is our fav), coconut oil, vit. E, small amount of honey and very little beeswax. Sometimes, if we add too much beeswax, we have to re-melt it and add more vit. E and/or coconut oil. It's hard to get the right consistency every time!

We save those little tins from other lip balms, and have even poured our own concoction into empty chap stick tubes. Small funnels are a must!

My daughter likes to add a smidge of lipstick into hers for a little color. Pretty, just a hint of color. :)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 03:32:09 AM »
Just to throw a monkey into the wrench here, I've read that using peppermint essential oil in lip balm on your lips over time will deaden the nerves.

I think the reasoning was that the lips are SO MUCH more sensitive than other areas and the peppermint, with it's natural menthol, is a natural topical analgesic that is simply too strong over time.  Like if there's no reason to go numbing your lips than you probably ought not do it until you have a cold sore or something that is really painful.

Also, many folks become "addicted" to using lip balm if they use it when they don't really need it.  It creates its own vicious cycle.

Maybe it's something to consider.  Maybe it's ridiculous and needs to be ignored.

Ok, there.  I'm done with making radical statements for today!   :D

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 03:37:45 AM »
Gigi.... All things are to be considered, and never just ignored.
I basically love/ am possibly addicted to the tingle that Burts bees brand had, and I make mine to mimic theirs.  But just because you can buy it that way doesn't mean it is good for you, I guess.  I've never had any 'lip issues' such as a cold sore or anything more than the occasional chapping. 
I do use mine only at bedtime as well.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 09:01:07 AM »
If any of you use mineral makeup you can put a little of that in your lip balm and it gives it a nice soft color.........depending on the color you use.   :)
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 09:28:48 AM »
Gigi.... All things are to be considered, and never just ignored.
I basically love/ am possibly addicted to the tingle that Burts bees brand had, and I make mine to mimic theirs.  But just because you can buy it that way doesn't mean it is good for you, I guess.  I've never had any 'lip issues' such as a cold sore or anything more than the occasional chapping. 
I do use mine only at bedtime as well.

I love the Burts Bees Peppermint too, but it is not so strong that it deadens feelings...just a nice cool tingle.  The wax/oils really subdue the effects of the essential oils.  I found that when I made toothpaste...you can put LOTS of peppermint oil in, and still not have much kick.  Come to think of it, hotwing sauce is the same way...the butter really tames the heat. ;)

I have also heard that chapsticks can be addicting if used all the time.  I do LOVE my burts bees chapstick, but I don't use it compulsively or even daily.  I think moderation is the way to go!
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 02:28:42 PM »
Well I can see that the buyout of Burt's Bees by the "big-bad-ugly-corporate" Unilever hasn't quelled anyone's purchases of Burt's Bees Lip Balm!!!!  :o  ;D  ;D  ;D  ::) 

I do think that you both are right:  occasional use doesn't seem to me to be problematic or addictive.  And, I know with myself, most chapped lips are solved by drinking an extra glass of water or two. 

Mrs. B: who doesn't love "the tingle"?!!  I make a nice spearmint/peppermint sort myself that I really like - it just feels so fresh! 

I was mostly trolling for others opinions and perspectives. . .

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 03:28:11 PM »
Well I can see that the buyout of Burt's Bees by the "big-bad-ugly-corporate" Unilever hasn't quelled anyone's purchases of Burt's Bees Lip Balm!!!!  :o  ;D  ;D  ;D  ::) 

I'm fairly sure that my 3 year old tube of lip balm predates the big bad uglies...and my next tube will be homemade! ;)
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 06:15:50 AM »
Hee Hee!  No need to defend, Gwen!  I'm being obnoxious, that's all.     :-*

Back to topic:

I do want to echo Mrs. B and say that adding a healing herbal component to your lip balm recipe seems to me to be the most effective sort of lip balm over the long haul.  Not just moisturizing oils & wax. 

I would think some good additions could be aloe, neem oil (though it stinks), comfrey, st. johns wort, calendula, etc.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »
I always add raw honey, aloe, colloidal silver, various oils & butters infused with shave grass, etc.   ~L

Offline the herbalist

• Learning
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 10:32:56 AM »
Here's a recipe from Glory bee that we have used and liked. You can use any essential oil. Citrus ones tend to be drying though. Some of our customers wanted unflavored so we've left out the essential oil for those.

To make peppermint lip Balm, you will need the following:
1 oz. pure, Filtered Beeswax
1/2 cup Sweet Almond Oil
1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E Oil
1/4 teaspoon Aloe Vera Concentrate
1/2 teaspoon Peppermint Essential Oil
Instructions:
Combine Beeswax, Sweet Almond oil, Vitamin E oil and Aloe Vera concentrate in a small, pourable container (a glass measuring cup works well). Place this container in a saucepan filled with approx. 2 inches of water. Heat the mixture over medium heat until beeswax is completely liquefied. Remove from heat and add essential oil. Pour into containers. Cool completely before use. Makes approx. two dozen 5 gram (.15 oz.) pots or tubes.