† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Prolotherapy  (Read 7068 times)

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Prolotherapy
« on: June 27, 2006, 09:10:16 AM »
Here is the website of the doctor who responded to our question about Marfan's syndrome under the "broken ribs" thread:

http://www.centenoschultzclinic.com/index.cfm

Here is an exerpt from the site about prolotherapy:

http://www.growthfactorstimulation.com/how_does_it_work.htm
Prolotherapy prompts your body to naturally heal damaged and degenerated tissues.¬  It involves a series of simple injections into the injured area, once a month for 6 months.¬  This is not steroid which blocks healing, but a natural substance that promotes healing.¬  The technique can be traced back to Roman times, where soldiers with joint injuries would have those wounds cauterized to promote healing.¬  While modern techniques are much more sophisticated, the concept is the same.
Prolotherapy works by prompting your body's natural repair mechanisms to heal damaged or degenerated tissues.¬  While most of our daily injuries heal completely, severe ligament tears, degenerated and worn out tissues, and those with a poor blood supply (such as in the knee) don't usually mend themselves.¬  Prolo first starts by injecting a growth factor stimulant (not growth hormone or steroid) into the damaged area.¬  This otherwise harmless, natural substance, causes a brief period of inflammation that starts the process.¬  This inflammation causes your body to release it's own natural growth factors in the injured tissue.¬  These go to work immediately, directing your body's natural healing mechanisms to repair damaged and degenerated tissue.¬  The first stage of healing usually takes about a week, but the tissue continues to restore itself for 4-6 weeks after the injection.

Here is a questionaire you can take to see if you "qualify" for prolotherapy:

http://www.growthfactorstimulation.com/am_i_a_candidate.htm

HOW MUCH IS IT?

Payment is due at time of service.  We accept MasterCard/Visa and cash.  We provide insurance HCFA billing forms which can be directly submitted to your insurance plan for payment.  We also provide a "Managed Care Kit" that you can submit with your bills that has all appropriate documentation to increase the likelihood of getting prompt reimbursement from your carrier.

Joint Injections

Joint injections (knee, hip, ankle, shoulder) are $250.

If two or more areas are being injected, such as both knees, there is an additional charge of $100 for each additional area.

IV sedation administered by an anesthesiologist can be used if you are sensitive to needle procedures.  The cost is an additional $250.    While this is not usually needed for almost all joint injections, you may to consider this for spinal injections.

Spine Injections

Spine injections such as neck, upper back, or low back are $250 if performed in the office.  If in the neck or if hour injections requires x-ray, the cost is $450.

Most insurance plans do not cover prolotherapy.  However, we will give you a kit to bill your insurer.

Personally, we've been saving up for me to have prolotherapy on a torn hip and shoulder ligament. I've also attached the document (PDF) that Dr. Christopher Centeno mentioned in his letter posted in the "Broken Ribs" thread.
 Hope this info helps...

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline So√Īadora

• Adept
Re: Prolotherapy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 04:29:40 PM »
Rebekah,

Thanks for all the info. We started getting really stoked, but then we saw the price-- Wow! :o  I'm going to try and find out how long it lasts. I may have missed that info on the websites already. Our heads are kinda spinning with all this, because no one's ever said anything but live with it. To be able to do something like this would be awesome. His shoulders, knees and wrists are in pretty bad shape, and every year it gets worse. Anyhoo, thanks again for letting us know about it! :)
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline treblediva

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 09:49:10 PM »
Wow!  Talk about divine intervention!  My mom has been told she needs knee replacement surgery.  At 74, with my Dad in the nursing home, she is terrified.  After reading some of the material above, I think this therapy might be a viable alternative to surgery.  I will call a local MD who practices in our area to find out.

THANKS!

Nickole

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 04:24:08 AM »
My mom had surgery for a torn meniscus in her knee which basically they scrape all that torn cartilage out and now I have done research and found that Prolotherapy would have been better  :'(.  She already has arthritis so now this lack of cartilage in her knee will make her arthritis worse.  She is having trouble with her knee and is very depressed about being so immoble.  Question:

*Is Prolotherapy still an option for her, or no? 

Nickole

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 01:40:57 AM »
Bump

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:38:47 AM »
I went to the doctors website and saw this...

Prolotherapy helped get back to playing with my grandkids.

Karen had 3 knee surgeries and had little to no cartilage left in either of her knees. She was to the point where she couldn't walk and couldn't do physical activities, her knees just really hurt. The hardest part about this situation was that she couldn't play with her grandkids. Karen decided she had to make a choice, it was either a knee replacement or figure out a way to deal with the pain. She started looking online, when she researched prolotherapy she found our clinic website. She started asking around and heard from her doctor in Grand Junction about prolotherapy so she thought she would come down to Westminster to meet with Dr. Centeno and hear more about it. When Karen met with Dr. Centeno he gave her a few options, she could try Hyalgan or Prolotherapy. She decided to give Prolo a try. She had 1 injection in each knee, monthly for 5 months. She also happened to have some pain in two of her fingers so she had prolo in those two fingers 1 time monthly for 2 months. Her finger pain has gone away completely. Her knees have come along way. She doesn't feel that she is 100% back but she feels that she was at 0% before she came to the clinic and now after Prolo she feels that she is at an 85-90%. Most importantly she was able to play tag with her grandkids over Thanksgiving. "I was amazed" says Karen.

Date Posted: 11/28/06
http://www.centenoschultzclinic.com/blogdetail.cfm?blogid=89

Sounds very similar to your mom's situation, so I would think (hope) it could help.

WR
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 02:43:43 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 05:53:15 AM »
Is this a modernized version of taking bees and placing the sting in a pattern around a joint for healing after injury or to relieve pain from arthritis?  This is a story from my grandparents that has intrigued me for the last 20 years.

Offline taveltkamp

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 12:46:41 PM »
I know this is a really old thread, but I saw it and had to respond.  I've had prolotherapy in both my knees.  The first one was over 6 years ago and I still don't have any arthritis symptoms in it.  I had the other one done about 1-2 years ago.  So far, so good!

Now I have arthritis in my right hip and am having to look for another doc who does it.  The original doc has since retired.   :(