Author Topic: Favorite Cleaning Tips and Tricks Ever!  (Read 108821 times)

Offline Grace

• Adept
Re: Favorite Cleaning Tips and Tricks Ever!
« Reply #210 on: July 28, 2008, 04:20:05 PM »
Thanks...I'll give it a try!

Several of those ingredients are acids, so baking soda might work to neutralize them.
DD's 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 and DS born 7/6/08!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2008, 06:39:12 PM »
I haven't figured out a way to soak the outside edges of the jets on the sides of the tub with Coke... I can just pour it over them, but I doubt that's going to help much.

When I want to soak a smaller area that's vertical, I soak a sponge in the solution and prop it over the area...it holds it in contact with the solution.  Vinegar softens the calcium in egg shells, so I would think that a vinegar soak would help a lot.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2008, 12:37:34 PM »
I haven't figured out a way to soak the outside edges of the jets on the sides of the tub with Coke... I can just pour it over them, but I doubt that's going to help much.

When I want to soak a smaller area that's vertical, I soak a sponge in the solution and prop it over the area...it holds it in contact with the solution.  Vinegar softens the calcium in egg shells, so I would think that a vinegar soak would help a lot.
I have soaked a sponge in Coke and lay it atop of a water main valve overnight with a bucket underneath to catch the drips.  Next day the green gook from the water shutoff wiped right off.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2008, 02:15:29 PM »
If you put your dishes in the refrigerator, they won't get moldy in the sink.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #214 on: August 27, 2008, 03:18:22 PM »
Does anyone know if baking soda would neutralize the amonia smell from my DH's shirts?  He plays racquetball before work and soaks his shirts with sweat then leaves them in the hot car trunck all day :o and they have sort of a built in amonia smell.

Any suggestions?

I know this is a kinda old post but I just saw it. ATG, my guess would be that your DH has a mild fungal infection. Ever since I developed the underarm fungal infection I refer to in the post below my underarm & clothes smell like ammonia on that side when it's acting up.

I just saw this. I haven't been on much lately with organizing the new house & unpacking.

I would use one of 2 things: 60 drops of Nutibiotic's grapefruit seed extract (GSE) in a quart of water in a spray bottle. Spray on heavy to totally saturate the fabric, let sit for a few mins to kill the fungus & wash. I would run the clothes through 2 full cycles of the washer (second cycle with water only or water with 1-2 cups vinegar in the wash cycle) to be sure it's fully rinsed. If you use Beeyoutiful's GSE keep in mind that it's twice as strong as Nutibiotic's & adjust the amount used. This is the same spray I recommended he use under his arms in this post:

I have the same problem right now. Because of the arm injury I have I can't raise my arm so my underarm never fully dries out & doesn't air out. I have a yeast/fungus rash there- I can tell it's yeast/fungus by the smell. I also apparently got some on my fingers & managed to transfer some of it to my ear lobe & face.  :P :-\

The way I treat it (& my DS's athlete's foot when it acts up) is to use 2 drops of NUTRIBIOTIC'S grapefruit seed extract (GSE) to each ounce of water & just pat it on. (we use a spray bottle to apply to feet) On feet we let it dry on, on my underarm & face I let it sit for a few mins then rinse it off.

Sometimes it does sting at first but GSE knocks the yeast/fungus right out. With DS's feet, 1 application usually knocks it out (& believe me, when his athlete's foot acts up the smell is HORRIBLE  :P) 1 application & the smell is GONE & it doesn't come back anytime soon.  ;D With my underarm, the GSE knocks it out for a few days but then it comes back. The reason it comes back under my arm is because I still can't raise my arm so it never fully dries out, NOT because the GSE doesn't work- your DH can raise his arm so his underarm won't stay damp.

GSE can also be taken internally to kill yeast. Here is a link for a usage chart for Nutribiotic's (standard health food store brand) GSE:

Nutribiotic GSE Usage Chart

Keep in mind that if you use use Beeyoutiful's GSE it is TWICE as strong as Nutribiotic's so BE SURE TO ADJUST THE DOSAGE. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #215 on: September 03, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »
dose anyone make their own daily shower spray?  I am wanting something I can spray in the shower to help fight the soap scum from real soap.  Is there anything out there that I can make?
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2008, 05:35:57 AM »
If you put your dishes in the refrigerator, they won't get moldy in the sink.
ROTFL
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2008, 08:38:20 AM »
dose anyone make their own daily shower spray?  I am wanting something I can spray in the shower to help fight the soap scum from real soap.  Is there anything out there that I can make?

Spray bottle with about 9 parts water to 1 part vinegar.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2008, 02:56:56 AM »

Thanks so much. :)
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2008, 03:49:17 AM »

Thanks so much. :)

I add about a tablespoon of inexpensive Tea Tree Oil (found at Target) to fight the bacteria/fungus/germ stuff, too.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2008, 02:26:38 PM »
If you miss the lemon scented cleaners put a little lemon or litsea EO in there.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2008, 07:47:53 AM »
My favorite trick is to make the kids do it. ;D
Seriously, for a quarter (which he traded in for a dessert) my 7yo scrubbed the shower.  Then my 6yo thought she was missing out and the next time I had a clean shower and bath tub.  Ah, the beauty of kid-safe cleaners....
~L

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2008, 03:31:35 AM »
As a courtesy to the member who started this thread and those participating in the conversation and to keep subjects more organized and easier to find, please attempt to stay on topic as much as possible.

If the conversation triggers a new subject of interest, please search the forum for a more appropriate thread for the discussion. 

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5060.0.html

When one cannot be found, start a new one.

If you'd like to have a more personal conversation that would otherwise derail the topic, please take advantage of your ability as a forum member to send personal messages.

Thanks.

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2008, 05:28:42 AM »
I have been using vinegar/water/EO combo to clean with, and in another bottle Mrs Meyers gen purpose cleaner(diluted).  Not at the same time, but I keep a spray bottle of cleaner in both bathrooms and the kitchen so it is always there when you need it (easy for kids to find, and easy for us all clean at the same time).

What I have been noticing is like a "film" on my hardwood and vinyl floors.  almost like grease, and right after cleaning!  It will smear, and make smudges when you walk on it, and my kids feet still get dirty when they walk around the house!  I clean floors about once a week (3 kids) and TRY to get everyone to remove outside shoes when in the house.

It seems that even after I clean the floors, they are still grimy.  We have no pets, and are inside quite alot. 

Does anyone have anything I could try?  I would like to get my shiny vinyl back again, and the shine back in my hardwood (as much as possible anyway).  We live in a rental and they installed/refinished the floors less than a year ago!  Could the vinegar have taken the  finish off the floors?

We will be moving out at the end of the month, and would like to get the floors clean.  But also for me, I need to know if I am cleaning them wrong!

Thanks!!
blsd2bhome (even if the floors aren't clean!  ::) )

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2008, 06:49:18 AM »
I have been using vinegar/water/EO combo to clean with, and in another bottle Mrs Meyers gen purpose cleaner(diluted).  Not at the same time, but I keep a spray bottle of cleaner in both bathrooms and the kitchen so it is always there when you need it (easy for kids to find, and easy for us all clean at the same time).

What I have been noticing is like a "film" on my hardwood and vinyl floors.  almost like grease, and right after cleaning!  It will smear, and make smudges when you walk on it, and my kids feet still get dirty when they walk around the house!  I clean floors about once a week (3 kids) and TRY to get everyone to remove outside shoes when in the house.

It seems that even after I clean the floors, they are still grimy.  We have no pets, and are inside quite alot. 

Does anyone have anything I could try?  I would like to get my shiny vinyl back again, and the shine back in my hardwood (as much as possible anyway).  We live in a rental and they installed/refinished the floors less than a year ago!  Could the vinegar have taken the  finish off the floors?

We will be moving out at the end of the month, and would like to get the floors clean.  But also for me, I need to know if I am cleaning them wrong!

Thanks!!
blsd2bhome (even if the floors aren't clean!  ::) )

(I own and run a moderately successful cleaning business that uses all family safe "green" cleaning products... here's my take)

Vinegar is great to clean with, in it's disinfecting and soap-scum cutting properties. It will break down soap, and mineral deposits, but it will not break down oils and grease.

To make your vinyl floor sparkle mix about 3 quarts of warm water with about 6-8 drops of dish soap. The first time make sure to wash the floor "Cinderella Style" on your hands and knees with a scrub brush - scrub around you as far as you can reach, and then wipe up the water with a damp rag (just squeeze out the water into your bucket) and let the floor dry.

You can do the same with your wood floors. I personally would not use vinegar on wood floors as I feel it would possibly dry out the wood or even remove the finish over time. I DO wash wood floors (in the very expensive homes of my clients) with warm water, just a few drops of dish soap, and a wet washrag, (no scrub brush, but microfiber rags are nice!) making SURE to only wash a small portion at a time and wipe it as dry as possible with the damp rag (so that water can't soak into anything or create water spots). Those floors and some very beat up wood floors in another home that I clean all end up shiny and clean.

Another thing you could try is to soak several black tea bags in a gallon of warm water and mop your wood floor with that. The tannic acid in the tea is supposed to refresh wood floors. I've never actually done this one though.

Vinegar btw is great for cleaning tile floors, but I use the above methods for cleaning almost every other type of hard flooring.

Hope that helps! JAmie
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2008, 09:44:18 AM »
Be sure you don't use the dark tea bags on a light colored floor. It could stain it.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2008, 02:07:15 PM »
I will try the dishsoap tomorrow, and if it still feels greasy, I will try the black tea (the floors are dark wood).

Thanks for sharing all that you do!  I really thought that vinegar cut grease!  Guess I was wrong!  I just hate that grimy film, it looks like I didn't even clean! >:(

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2008, 02:40:39 PM »
How much EO are you using?  Perhaps, it is just too many drops?
I have done that myself and had better results with fewer drops of EO.  HTH!

Offline blsd2bhome

• Adept
« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2008, 07:27:48 AM »

I use about 5 drops per 32 oz liquid.  Is that too much?  It is the Aura Cacia brand of EO, not sure how strong it is.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2008, 03:25:04 AM »

I use about 5 drops per 32 oz liquid.  Is that too much?  It is the Aura Cacia brand of EO, not sure how strong it is.

Well, you wouldn't think it would be too much, but I would reduce it and see if it helps.  If not, then it is something else.  Trial of elimination is usually a good protocol for me.  ;)

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #230 on: October 25, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »
What do you all use to remove old stains from clothing? Or am I the only one who doesn't diligently pre-treat them as soon as they happen? I want to give away some of my little girl clothing but a lot of those pink shirts have stains on the front. I haven't been all that impressed with Oxi-Clean but maybe I'm using it wrong. I don't really care if it's natural as I figure it will come off before anyone wears it.

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2008, 01:10:37 AM »
Shaklee makes a product called Nature Bright that is wonderful. You can make up a bucket and soak things up to ten days with amazing results. However, right now I have no funds for that, and so I use a solution of equal parts ammonia, original blue dawn dish soap, and water. I keep it in a spray bottle and use a small scrub brush to work it into the stain. Be sure the stain is out before putting the clothing in the dryer. Once it's gone through the dryer, I think all hope is lost. The stain is set.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2008, 02:23:27 AM »
If what I've read is true, Oxi-Clean is using less sodium percarbonate (I think) than it originally did; that's why it's multipurpose formula doesn't work as well as the original did (IMHO!).  Nature Brite from Shaklee (I love it, too!) has a much higher percentage of that percarbonate, plus some enzymes; that's why it works so well.  There is also something called OxyBoost which has a high percentage of the percarbonate, too; haven't used it personally, but may try it sometime. 

If you're paying full price, plus shipping, for the Nature Brite, the OxyBoost may be a better deal - especially if you can find a place that sells it near you and you don't have to pay for shipping.  I joined Shaklee, mainly to get the 15% discount; I get help with shipping that way, so right now Nature Brite is cheaper for me.  If I find a place that sells OxyBoost near me, I may give that a try if it works out to be cheaper.  I've saved a couple of shirts already with the Nature Brite; and we came home from church camp last night with my daughter's white down coat stained with pumpkin (from Capture the Pumpkin!).  Anyways, I soaked it overnite, and it is white this morning!

Offline mhoward1999

• Adept
« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2008, 03:26:22 AM »
If you're paying full price, plus shipping, for the Nature Brite, the OxyBoost may be a better deal - especially if you can find a place that sells it near you and you don't have to pay for shipping.  I joined Shaklee, mainly to get the 15% discount; I get help with shipping that way, so right now Nature Brite is cheaper for me. 

:) I'm actually a distributor. I'm just THAT broke right now.  ::) We closed on our new house with a $200 a month increase in housing expense, and I had a cut in pay by 30% two weeks later. There is a deficit in our budget at this point, and I am so tied up with my two jobs (which do not include Shaklee) that I have no way to earn more.  :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 07:53:29 AM by mhoward1999 »

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2008, 07:47:42 AM »
I feel your 'pain'.  I would love to use the Nature Bright all the time, but I save it for "special occasions"! 

On a side note, my son went to fall retreat and brought home a bag full of muddy clothes.  I was tired when I washed last night, and this morning I took his jeans out of the dryer, the knees had huge grass stains dried into them.  I put a couple of gallons of warm water in a bucket and added a scoop of Charlie's Soap and a scoop of Nature Brite.  I thought it might be a lost cause since they had been through the dryer, but right now the water is definitely green.  I'll let them soak til tonight or tomorrow, and I'll let y'all know if they come completely clean or not!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #235 on: October 28, 2008, 12:53:59 PM »
What do you all use to remove old stains from clothing? Or am I the only one who doesn't diligently pre-treat them as soon as they happen? I want to give away some of my little girl clothing but a lot of those pink shirts have stains on the front. I haven't been all that impressed with Oxi-Clean but maybe I'm using it wrong. I don't really care if it's natural as I figure it will come off before anyone wears it.

Does anyone have a way to remove old stains that does not require joining with a company and paying membership fees? And these are stains that have already been through the dryer.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #236 on: October 28, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »
Here's what I would say:  try to get the Oxy-brite.  (Several companies online carry it that you don't have to join.)  From reading about it, I'm guessing that it has the same ingredient, probably in the same quantities, that Nature Bright does.  Or, I guess you could try an oxy type cleaner in a larger amount if it is not as potent, and try soaking for days if needed.

As stated before, my 17 yr old ds badly stained his knees with mud and grass; I washed them late, didn't notice, and sent them through the dryer.  He had been crawling on the ground playing paintball, and the knees had large, ground-in, now dried grass stains.  After soaking them for 10 hours in Charlie's Soap & Nature Bright, they came out almost perfect.  There are a couple of faint grass spots, and I wouldn't be surprised if it would have come out if I had left it overnight.  I'm pleased as punch!  To be honest, I thought since they had been through the dryer on hot that the grass stains were mostly there for good!

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #237 on: October 29, 2008, 03:47:53 AM »
We just moved to Wisconsin, and are in a rental for a while.  Well, the basement here stunk, musky and wet smelling.  Come to find out it leaks.  Well, the smell is GONE!  We put a dehumidifier down there, which took care of the water, but the smell was still as strong as ever.  We bought a couple big bags of generic charcoal, and put them in ice cream buckets around the basement, and the smell is gone!  Simple, cheap and effective!
I'm smiling! :D

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #238 on: October 29, 2008, 05:21:03 AM »
Awesome idea, Jenny!  I'll have to talk to my dad about doing that in his basement.

(hope you are well, btw!) :)

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #239 on: October 29, 2008, 02:49:16 PM »
Like Kingsford charcoal briquets?

We just moved to Wisconsin, and are in a rental for a while.  Well, the basement here stunk, musky and wet smelling.  Come to find out it leaks.  Well, the smell is GONE!  We put a dehumidifier down there, which took care of the water, but the smell was still as strong as ever.  We bought a couple big bags of generic charcoal, and put them in ice cream buckets around the basement, and the smell is gone!  Simple, cheap and effective!