Author Topic: Garlic Enemas: Recipes, Tips & Tricks  (Read 51086 times)

Offline joyful_mommy_03

• Adept
Garlic Enemas: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« on: June 26, 2006, 03:05:02 PM »
...and don't forget, my favorite and yours - garlic enemas!!!  In fact, I mjust had to give my daughter one today.  It works like a charm every time.  This morning she woke up looking very pale and vomiting.  I gave her a garlic enema and *poof* she felt better by the time her nap was over.

Here's the recipe I follow - 1 clove of fresh peeled garlic, throw it in the blender with half a liter of warm water.  Blend for several seconds to make sure the garlic clove is completely smashed.  Strain through cheese or other type of cloth.  Take the strained liquid, the sick child, and a towel into the bathroom.  Lie the child on the left side, lubricate the anal opening with oil (I use olive oil), fill one of those blue blub syringes, making sure there are no air bubbles.  It's an enema, you know the rest.

There have been times when my daughter has a fever and vomiting and it clears up the fever before we leave the bathroom and the vomiting by the end of her nap.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 03:43:24 PM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Garlic Enemas: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 03:42:12 PM »
fill one of those blue bulb syringes, making sure there are no air bubbles.

Are you talking about a bulb syringe for sucking out the nose??  I never thought of using one of those.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 1happygal

• Learning
Re: Garlic Enemas: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 03:25:16 AM »
Bulb syringes are great for children's enemas! They have just enough liquid for their smaller bodies. I have always used them for my children.

Offline joyful_mommy_03

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 07:24:56 AM »
I'm almost positive I learned that from the ABC Herbal book - it talks about tons of different things to do with herbs specifically geared for your children - the book and the syringe are wonderful tools to have on hand!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 12:54:33 PM »
Ok pardon my ignorance, but why is an enema so effective? I've always heard of them and I never really understood why they work so well. And if they are so effective why did Gabe say they are almost always unnecessary (in another thread)? Are there any dangers to them? I know where they go and all i just don't know why! :D Someone's going to enlighten me and i will smack my head like *DUH*

OH and along these lines what is a suppository? same thing? My mom use to give me one when i was little when i couldn't stop throwing up and it helped but now i don't know why?!!? I told someone to use one before and they were like WHAT? and i felt silly... ::)

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 01:13:12 PM »
I had to take suppositories when I was hospitalized for dehydration as a child after a nasty bout of stomach flu. They are just pills made for your bum instead of your mouth. They were effective for me because I couldn't puke them up...the medicine had time to get into my blood stream.

I'm thinking garlic enemas might work for the same reason...if you have a hard time tolerating garlic it sounds like a good way to get it into your digestive tract quickly without eating it...I know I would not be able to get my kids to eat raw garlic at this age, and of course I burned the heck out of their feet when I did the poultice (my fault).

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 01:21:34 PM »
See i knew i would go *DUH*!! thanks KatieMac! That's why i would get the suppositories too!! I had the pukies alot as a kid! twice in the hospital for dehydration. So basically enemas and suppositories work well if you're going to have a hard time swallowin and keeping it down! Makes total sense now!!  Good to know! are they safe?

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 02:05:00 PM »
I'd assume they are safe as long as you are careful...I really don't know much else about it! I think when Gabe said they were unnessesary he was speaking specifically about parasite cleansing...maybe he meant that taking something by mouth would be enough, I don't know.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 03:29:09 PM »
Ok pardon my ignorance, but why is an enema so effective? I've always heard of them and I never really understood why they work so well. And if they are so effective why did Gabe say they are almost always unnecessary (in another thread)? Are there any dangers to them? I know where they go and all i just don't know why! :D Someone's going to enlighten me and i will smack my head like *DUH*

Most viruses are ingested and wind up in the digestive tract and enter the bloodstream this way.  Enemas get the garlic right to the source without interference from the gastric juices in the stomach.  Faster is better.  It also is a good way to give treatment when vomiting is an issue and the most obvious, garlic water just tastes downright nasty.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 09:52:22 AM »
...and don't forget, my favorite and yours - garlic enemas!!!  In fact, I mjust had to give my daughter one today.  It works like a charm every time.  This morning she woke up looking very pale and vomiting.  I gave her a garlic enema and *poof* she felt better by the time her nap was over.

Here's the recipe I follow - 1 clove of fresh peeled garlic, throw it in the blender with half a liter of warm water.  Blend for several seconds to make sure the garlic clove is completely smashed.  Strain through cheese or other type of cloth.  Take the strained liquid, the sick child, and a towel into the bathroom.  Lie the child on the left side, lubricate the anal opening with oil (I use olive oil), fill one of those blue blub syringes, making sure there are no air bubbles.  It's an enema, you know the rest.

There have been times when my daughter has a fever and vomiting and it clears up the fever before we leave the bathroom and the vomiting by the end of her nap.

wondering if i'm doing anything wrong.  my 12 mo. old has a slight fever and runny nose, raspy throat.  i have the throat thing too.  i was attempting to give him a garlic enema.  he didn't seem to mind the first time, but not a lot of water would go in.  i smashed a large clove into a quart of water (32 oz.?) and let it sit and steep.  then strained it, cooled it some.  maybe i just needed to keep working on it longer, should i let him up to run around in between?  not a lot would go in and he didn't pass anything.  he seemed to feel somewhat better after the first one, but his fever was still present a couple hours later so i did try again.  still nothing passed that i know of.  at least no stool.  i've never done this before so any info would be greatly appreciated!   ::)  thanks! 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 10:04:18 AM »
I have found that catnip enemas work better for fever reducing.  Two heaping tablespoons of catnip to a quart of boiling water.  Let sit for 20 min. and strain and use only 1/2 -1cup at a time for smaller children.
Sometimes children will pass the liquid right away, some will absorb it because of dehydration.  I wouldn't worry about letting them run around.  If they feel better, then let them have a chance to play.  I have found that a catnip enema will reduce a fever right away, but will often come back again in a few hours if they are really sick. My daughter's fever went away after one application and never came back.  My son had to have three in one day.  Poor guy.  But being sick for one day is better than four or five!

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 12:13:18 PM »
wondering if i'm doing anything wrong.  my 12 mo. old has a slight fever and runny nose, raspy throat.  i have the throat thing too.  i was attempting to give him a garlic enema.

Make sure you get the syringe in far enough, past the anal sphinctor muscle. Then the fluid will go in fairly easily, and you will get stool in the diaper next time they go. If they are dehydrated, they may just absorb the enema rather than expel, which isn't bad either.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 12:18:18 PM »
Great!  thanks ladies, we'll give it another try and try to find some catnip!  is fresh ok?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline joyful_mommy_03

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 03:00:10 PM »
Most of you guys probably already know this, but since it seemed like there might be a few that hadn't tried enemas before, I wanted to point out one thing.  Make sure there aren't any air bubbles in the syringe.  The way I do it is to make sure there is some water coming out of the syringe just before inserting it.  If you push the syringe in first then squeeze out the water, you could put air bubbles in their little insides and, while it's not fatal or the end of the world, its uncomfortable.  Also, make sure there is still water coming out as you remove the syringe.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 08:29:55 AM »
Great! thanks ladies, we'll give it another try and try to find some catnip! is fresh ok?

The recipe I have calls for dried, so I would just double it for fresh.

I personally never use the syringe type for enemas.  Too much air bubbles.  I use one of those red rubber Cara enema bags with all the tips and gadgets that come with it.  I bought mine at walmart. 

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 10:26:49 AM »
Where in Walmart does one find these enema bags?  I took a quick scan around once, but couldn't even hope to begin to know the right place to start.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 11:38:35 AM »
I found mine with the other enema packages in the Pharmacy area.  Ask a pharmacist where they may be.  Good luck.

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 12:56:36 PM »
Would this make diarrhea worse?  My daughter has some awful virus (I think it is rotavirus).  The diarrhea is slowing down, but she cannot keep anything down.  I want to do a garlic enema, but not if it is going to make her diarrhea worse.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 02:50:29 PM »
Would this make diarrhea worse? My daughter has some awful virus (I think it is rotavirus). The diarrhea is slowing down, but she cannot keep anything down. I want to do a garlic enema, but not if it is going to make her diarrhea worse.

An enema will not make diarrhea worse.  In fact, it is one of the FIRST things that I do whenever one of my children or I are sick.  The virus that is making her sick is most likely inside her intestines.  Using a good probiotic and giving her enemas will clean her intestines out.  If anything, it is a very quick way to get her body to absorb some fluids if dehydration is taking place.  Your colon can absorb the  fluids if you are primarily vomitting them up. 
If I feel a sickness coming on, I do an enema and it breaks it up within the day.  Also, if you could add some echinacea root to her tea, it will help her body be able to fight the sickness quicker.  We have had really good results with echinacea tea.  Hope your little one feels better.  Here, a few weeks earlier, we were actually making fun of the rotovirus. :-\
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 03:24:31 PM by healthyinOhio »

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 05:44:38 AM »
HealthyinOhio--is there an easy way to go about this?  and how do you calm the child and get them to understand that it will make them well?  i would like to buy the supplies and get ready to be able to do this before winter, but last time i tried it, my 3 year old thought i was crazy and was wiggling and uncooperative, so i gave up.  :-\  if they were really sick it would be really good to know how and what to do.  also would like to be brave enough to try it for myself if i was sick.  does this work for flu?   ???

Offline fish7inTN

• Learning
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2006, 01:46:11 PM »
My poor husband has had diarrhea daily for about 10 days now.  He said his stomache doesn't hurt and he doesn't feel bad anywhere but something is ailing him for that to happen for so long.  I finally convinced him to do a garlic enema (which I use for me and the kids but haven't gotten him totally on the herbal bandwagon.  He's making progress though!).  He did one Sat. and for the first time had a "normal" day.  But sure enough, Sunday he was right back at the same spot.  I suggested to do it 3 times a day until it's gone but i don't think he's chosen to do that.  We haven't found any one food that has brought it on although he drinks tons of those flavored waters.  He tried to knock them out one day (Sunday) and just did tap water.  It didn't make a difference.  Any suggestions??  I checked Bulk Herb Store and just got a ton of listings of herbs.  Would the enemas be the best thing?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 03:04:36 PM »
HealthyinOhio--is there an easy way to go about this?  and how do you calm the child and get them to understand that it will make them well?

OH, MY GOODNESS, I JUST SAW THIS!!  WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SOMETHING? 
Anyways, I tell my children that they have to do it and there are no other options.  I guess I trained them fairly well from the beginning, or something.  They are allowed to cry, scream, drool, puke, but they can't move or kick.  Those are the enema rules!  They don't cry really, anyways.

I put some soothing music on, or give them a book to look at if they are older.  If my children are not too sick, I will give them a sucker to suck on to keep their mind off of it.  Works like a charm on my four year old boy.  My daughter actually is to the point of asking me for one(the enema, that is)  when she is not feeling well.  She says she feels uncomfortable doing one(who doesn't?) but they make her feel all better when finished.  She is eight.
HTH and sorry that I didn't see your question before.  Forgive me??!! ;)

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2006, 12:12:38 AM »
I have a bulb enema- didn't see those bag ones when I was buying one.   :-\
With my kids I put them in the bathtub with some peppermint oil so it smells nice.  I have them lay on their side and tell them "I am going to stick this up your butt"   :P  "then all the stuff that is making you sick will hopefully come out"  Then I talk to them and ask them if it feels OK as I am inserting.  They don't think it is any big deal and they don't squirm.  Then they think it is pretty funny when everything comes out.   :D  The kids I have done it on were 5 & 4.  I haven't had to do it on my 2 yo.  I have done it on my baby when he was 10 mos, but I didn't like not being able to ask "Does this hurt?" and get an answer.  I have only done it twice to the oldest, once to the 2nd child and once to the baby, so I don't have a lot of experience!!  Thankfully, I have been able to have them gulp down garlice the minute a symptom pops up and we haven't gotten sick since then....  Hope it will stay that way!  :)  Thank God for herbs! :)

burlsgirl

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 02:17:50 AM »
Question. And probably not the smartest one! Anyway, the only enemas I've ever done were myself, the night before a labor induction. Per the instructions, I had to lie there for a bit before "flushing". Is this the case with the kiddos, too, or do you do the enema then put them right on the pot? I'm so loving this idea. I'm already stocking up on herbs & such, gearing up for the winter.

Also, what's a good brand of garlic for taking orally? Are there only pills or is there a liquid also.

Lastly, is there a link for some good basic info on garlic, i.e. what it's good for & such?

Thanks a bunch!
Emily

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 02:58:18 AM »
Is this the case with the kiddos, too, or do you do the enema then put them right on the pot?
Emily

In my situation, it depends on the kid.  I always make them sit on the toilet immediately just to see what happens.  My daughter expells rapidly, and my son has this ability to absorb everything for an hour or more!  Crazy colon kid!
What mishy said was so true.  Kids love to see and "examine" what comes out when they are done.  They get this from their mom!  :P

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 08:13:31 PM »

Also, what's a good brand of garlic for taking orally? Are there only pills or is there a liquid also.

We eat it fresh if we are really serious.  If we aren't as serious I like the beeyoutiful odorless garlic because of, well, it is odorless!! 
One of my sons has to really chew the fresh garlic before swallowing, so he smells like a powerful clove!!  But my first son can pop it in his mouth and swallow it with water which is what I do as well.  I chop it up really well so that it is kinda "chewed" and then glup- down it goes!!  It is best to do this right before a meal so you completely cover it all up.  Your breath, your belly, your mind.....   :D

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 04:26:18 AM »
I have a bulb enema- didn't see those bag ones when I was buying one.   :-\
With my kids I put them in the bathtub with some peppermint oil so it smells nice.  I have them lay on their side and tell them "I am going to stick this up your butt"   :P  "then all the stuff that is making you sick will hopefully come out"  Then I talk to them and ask them if it feels OK as I am inserting.  They don't think it is any big deal and they don't squirm.  Then they think it is pretty funny when everything comes out.   :D  The kids I have done it on were 5 & 4.  I haven't had to do it on my 2 yo.  I have done it on my baby when he was 10 mos, but I didn't like not being able to ask "Does this hurt?" and get an answer.  I have only done it twice to the oldest, once to the 2nd child and once to the baby, so I don't have a lot of experience!!  Thankfully, I have been able to have them gulp down garlice the minute a symptom pops up and we haven't gotten sick since then....  Hope it will stay that way!  :)  Thank God for herbs! :)

this was very helpful!  thanks!   ;D 

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 04:28:21 AM »
We eat it fresh if we are really serious.  If we aren't as serious I like the beeyoutiful odorless garlic because of, well, it is odorless!! 
One of my sons has to really chew the fresh garlic before swallowing, so he smells like a powerful clove!!  But my first son can pop it in his mouth and swallow it with water which is what I do as well.  I chop it up really well so that it is kinda "chewed" and then glup- down it goes!!  It is best to do this right before a meal so you completely cover it all up.  Your breath, your belly, your mind.....   :D

you have your kids chew raw garlic???  isn't it spicy?   :o

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2006, 02:08:38 AM »

you have your kids chew raw garlic???  isn't it spicy?   :o

That, my friend, is an understatement!   :D
I know, it is crazy, but he does it.  They have a cup of water and he gets it down with as little chewing as possible, I guess. 
 :P

Offline WendyinUP

• Wide Eyed
Re: Garlic Enemas
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 09:45:21 AM »
I believe my 4yo son has strep throat and I'd like to try the garlic enema on him.  We've never done enemas before.  I read the suggestion in my ABC Herbal book.

My question is...they suggested the easiest way was to use garlic oil in water.  I have the Herbs For Kids Willow/Garlic Ear Oil which contains olive oil, garlic, calendula flower, willow bark, usnea lichen and vitamin E oil.  Does anyone know if this would be okay to use or should I not because of the extra ingredients?

Wendy