Author Topic: Castor oil  (Read 18764 times)

Offline jaemom

• Adept
Castor oil
« on: February 12, 2008, 05:00:22 PM »
I did a search and couldn't find a thread devoted to castor oil.  I'm sorry if I missed it.  I'm looking for side effects of castor oil being absorbed through the skin.  I put a drop, and I mean only 1 drop, of oil on my finger and rubbed it into my lymph node in my neck today.  I did this twice.  Both times, after about 3 hours, I started feeling ill.  I didn't get sick, just nauseated for a bit.  I was wondering if this from the oil.  I have had the respiratory flu. 

On a side note, I did this because the right side of my head was severely clogged.  My ear was hurting, my eye was swollen, and my head hurt really bad.  The lymph node was swollen, and I read about castor oil helping the lympatic system drain, so I thought I'd give it a try.  It worked within minutes.  I immediately felt my ear start to drain and within an hour I felt tremendously better.  I'm going to post this in the swollen lymph node thread.

Another ? about castor oil.  Would it be safe to use on my 2 yo dd who has had a swollen lymph node in her neck for over 2 years now? 

I'm just discovering castor oil and have lots of research to do.
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Castor oil
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:24:42 PM »
http://curezone.com/cures/castoroil.html
I found the above link interesting.

I have done castor oil packs on my gall bladder/liver area to relieve pain.  I think castor oil is underrated.  ;D

YoopreMama

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:11:15 AM »
We used it recently...warmed up & soaked on a cloth over an upset tummy.  We then put a heating pad over that.   My dear friend swears by it. 

Caution--it did "ruin" the washcloth"...it's forever "oily".   :P

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:51:48 AM »
hi gals, i was just wondering after reading about castor oil packs where you buy it?  is it just something it's ok to get from walmart?  or should i look for a better brand, cold pressed or something from a health food store or something?  thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

YoopreMama

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:13:07 AM »
Available @ W-M, in laxative section by pharmacy.  Not sure on relative quality of it...

YoopreMama

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 05:52:49 PM »
I'm researching this after hearing a WTer's success in treating eczema with it. I had used it to get labor going w/ baby #4, and noticed afterward, my skin was totally clear. She recalled that and tried applying it externally (much better, IMO), to her child before bathing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil

Traditional or folk medicines

The use of cold pressed castor oil in folk medicine predates government medical regulations. Cold pressed castor oil is tasteless and odorless when pure. Uses include skin problems, burns, sunburns, skin disorders, skin cuts, and abrasions. Castor oil has also been used to draw out styes in the eye by pouring a small amount into the eye and allowing it to circulate around the inside of the eyelid. Note that most bottles of castor oil indicate the oil is to be kept away from the eyes. The oil is also used as a rub or pack for various ailments, including abdominal complaints, headaches, muscle pains, inflammatory conditions, skin eruptions, lesions, and sinusitis. A castor oil pack is made by soaking a piece of flannel in castor oil, then putting it on the area of complaint and placing a heat source, such as a hot water bottle, on top of it. This remedy was often suggested by the American psychic Edgar Cayce, given in many healing readings in the early mid-1900s. Castor oil has also been noted for its acne-healing abilities.[32]

http://www.castoroilhome.com/medical-uses-for-castor-oil.html

Castor Oil Supports Skin Care and Other Health Concerns

This valuable oil is also used remarkably in the treatment of skin problems. Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid, which brings about anti-inflammatory effects. It is used to treat cuts, burns, abrasions, and sunburn. Castor oil also helps you prevent having skin disorders such as acne and eczema. It is used whenever there is a condition caused by excessively oily skin. According to Botanical.com, it is also used to treat various cutaneous problems such as ringworm, itch, and the like.

Further, castor oil helps in skin care and conditioning. One of its components, Isostearate Succinate, allows it to penetrate deep into the skin, causing an antioxidant effect. Because of this, the oil is used as an ingredient in lipstick and lip balm and other commercial skin care products that moisturize condition and hydrate the skin.

Other uses for castor oil include its support for hair growth and its application as a solvent in pure alkaloids and Atropine solutions, which are utilized in ophthalmic surgery.

http://www.castoroilhome.com/castor-oil-and-the-sciatic-nerve.html

http://www.castoroilhome.com/
Uses during the Early Time

Castor oil has long been used throughout history. It was reportedly used for medicinal purposes in Ancient Egypt and in the early middle Ages in Europe. It was then regarded as a folk medicine.

Edgar Cayce, who authored the Encyclopedia of Healing, said that castor oil supported the healing of the small intestines, particularly the lymphatic tissue – this allowed for tissue growth and repair.
Modern Uses

In the recent centuries, however, natural castor oil was at first identified as a laxative and as a lubricant. Mothers used to feed it to their children as a relief for tummy aches. When taken orally, castor oil helped ease the pain of constipation and mild diarrhea. On the other hand, it was used to lubricate the wheels of wagons and carts. It was also used as an aircraft lubricant during the First World War.

Later into the 20th century, chemical studies have discovered castor oil’s multi-purpose potential. Castor oil and its derivatives are used extensively in:

* Medicine – Castor oil benefits the medical world. It is US FDA-approved for use  ::) in treating skin disorders. It is also a component of many modern drugs.
* Cosmetics – Lipsticks, shampoos and other cosmetic products contain this oil.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
We love love love castor oil!  I have used it on infected lymph nodes that garlic wouldn't touch, and by the next day, each time, the node got smaller and less painful, and healed completely a few days later.  We use it for eczema, for illness, for any kind of internal inflammation or infection.  It's a great facial treatment, wonderful moisturizer, and I've heard it can lessen cellulite over time.  My understanding is that castor oil increases blood and lymph flow, and is a very effective treatment for benign and malignant tumors.  Here's a link to help.

http://curezone.com/cures/castoroil.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:32:10 PM by morningglory »

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »
Do you guys use 'drugstore' Castor Oil or is there a healthier version?
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »
Thanks, MG! 

I get the stuff I find at W-M.  Nothing else is added so unless something's messed up w/ the processing (which is not unlikely)... ::)

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »
I buy cold-pressed from iherb.  It's not expensive at all, maybe $7 for 32 oz.?  And it lasts a long time. 

YoopreMama

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »
Thanks...I was reading about cold-pressed. 

That IS a good price!  I *think* W-M's is ~$3 for 6-8 oz...

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 04:55:54 PM »
I got NOW brand of cold pressed from the HFS- 16 oz for about $7-8.

I used it for the 1st time on the dog when he had 2 splinters in his skin that abscessed. One in the edge of his eyelid & one in the skin on his neck. Also on the gland in his neck that swelled up as well. I was amazed at how little it actually took. I used it around 12-20 times on a total area approx the size of my palm, maybe larger & have used less than 2 ounces. Worked out to be cheap compared to a lot of things I could have used.

Blessings ~herbalmom 

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 09:11:54 PM »
It's the ONLY thing that keeps my little guys eczema from becoming worse when I treat it topically.  Olive oil stings and causes it to look inflammed for an hour or so, and he's allergic to about every thing else natural you might try.  I'm glad it's good because our next option was mineral oil.

We also use in on 2 yo tummy that needed intestinal healing.  My nd suggested we use about a quarter size portion squeezed into our hand and rubbed clockwise on her belly for several minutes.  Baby girl loves it, and I can say it certainly hasn't harmed her.  We've done lots of other stuff to help her heal, so I can't say that it worked miracles either though... 

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 10:08:52 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but is it ok to do a castor oil pack while nursing? I've been having some pain in my lower abdomen/ovary area. In the past I've had really bad ovarian cysts, but only recently learned of castor oil helping that. Not sure if that's what the pain is, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to try. My period hasnt returned yet-it normally doesn't until I'm done nursing. So would this be ok to try? If so how would I do it exactly?