Author Topic: My brother needs help  (Read 6685 times)

Offline Monita

• Adept
My brother needs help
« on: June 26, 2006, 03:02:58 PM »
Hi,  I hope that I can get some advice for my brother.  My mother just called me a said that he is getting worse and for me to pray for him....so I have and I will..... but I thought of this site so here I am. 

History:  My brother is 21 years old, he has Downs Syndrome and has had heart problems since birth.  He was born with holes in his heart which were patched but has developed small holes and murmurs since that are just they just check on a couple times a year.  His diet is poor.  And he has horrible allergies and a bad immune system.  A Few mothes ago he was diagnosed with sleep apnea and has to use oxygen when he sleeps.  And was also given a new allergy medication.

A few weeks ago he started having hallucinations.  He was seeing my Grandpa who has past away and was seeing rainbows and angels.  He was saying all kinds of crazy things and talking to the "monsters"  and the "knives" that were flying around him(there were no knives).  This scared my mom so she took him off of the Allergy med.  and he was OK for a couple of days but then it started again.  She says he just does no want to listen to music, watch t.v. he just sits on the floor looking scared out of his mind.  She took him to the doc. and now they have him on anti depressants.  She says that he is not doing any better though, but it has only been a few days. 

I don't know anything about anti-depressants nor allergy drugs.  I don' know if she should try to change his diet or do a cleanse.  Please, and advice would be appreciated. 
Pray for Wesley and my Mom.   

Thank you

Offline 1happygal

• Learning
Re: My brother needs help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 03:15:07 PM »
I will be praying for your brother and mother...I had an Aunt with DS that lived to be in to her late 50s.

Offline Monita

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 03:19:21 PM »
Thank you,
Wow,  I have never met anyone with downs that lived that long.  I just know that they are prone to more illnesses and for that reason don't live as long.

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 04:38:56 PM »
Not sure about the dreams/delusions, nor if they are a symptom of DS, however, they very well could be spiritually inspired. I would highly recommend a book called, "Reclaiming Surrendered Ground" By Jim Logan

There is also this excellent book list from ICBCI for "odd" problems which are actually quite common these days. This list might seem Pentecostal (in the classic sense) or possibly Charismatic in the modern sense... but, its not. Most of the writers write from experience and a clinical setting, not some off the wall "Spirit Led" flakiness... even though the titles of the books tend to make you go, "huh?"

--gabe

Offline applesofgold

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 12:00:01 AM »
Could it be a reaction to one of the drugs he is on??  Or maybe it's the combination of drugs that is affecting him.  Praying for your brother--that must be so scary for him.  Holly
Nothing is worthwhile if the seed of eternity is not in it.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 04:59:46 PM »
I don't know if this would work for you, but I'll put it out there. I have a child with DS and he had heart surgery when he was 7 months. I have always been careful about his diet. I have found the book Nourishing Traditions to be an invaluable resource. We have also implemented a casein free/gluten free diet for him (important in people with DS), in addition to the fact that we have never given him any processed sugar.

With all of these limitations, you might think that there is just nothing left to eat. However, you would be wrong. There is an abundance of good food to be had. A little time in the kitchen is all you need. Additionally, I have invested in a colorful lunch box and drink cup that goes with us whenever we eat away from home. My husband took us out recently (a rare treat). Nothing we got from the restaurant compared to our little guy's meal: baked ocean perch with peppers, onions, sea salt, fresh-ground pepper and fresh squeezed lemon on a bed of brown rice. For dessert, he had strawberries, banana and wild blueberries. His beverage: Mama's Red Raspberry brew (from the Bulk Herb Store) made with stevia. All of the stuff we had looked like greasy cardboard in comparison (and we ate it anyway  :-X).

But from what you described, your brother doesn't live with you. Here's what I've done with my out-of-control diabetic mother. Dad is always bringing junk into the house. They don't understand organic from generic and get overwhelmed easily with too much information. They aren't at the stage in their lives where they are willing to learn a new way to cook. So, it was canned goods, processed foods, carbohydrates, sugar, etc. If it had a preservative or coloring agent, they were going to eat it. Consequently, Mom's sugar was getting more and more out of control. It was affecting her ability to get around, care for herself, and control her emotions.

I invested in a Seal-A-Meal from Walmart (is there any other department store?). I started to set aside portions for her and put them into the freezer. This included breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and supper. I also made up about 4 gallons of Mama's Red Raspberry tea for her. My goal was to give her excellent quality foods in satisfying quantities so that she is never left without something she can throw into a lunch box and take along. The portions are actually smaller than she would have eaten before, but because she has two snacks and a good breakfast, she doesn't get hungry. I make sure there is some protein at every meal to stabilize her blood sugar.

Now, all Mom has to do is snip the corner off of a bag, heat it up and enjoy. I package them so that the entres are together, the vegetables & side dishes are together, the snacks are in another section, and the breakfasts are together (in individual servings). This way, my strong-willed mother can still choose what she wants to eat, mixing and matching the items according to her taste. Her energy level is up, she isn't gaining weight and she looks better. Dad even got her a new lunch box. She still has a long way to go, but it is helping.

I'm just thinking that since entire advertising industries have been built around packaging, maybe you could find a way to package foods for your brother so he wouldn't be so tempted to indulge in other things.

If I had to guess (a big guess), I would say that allergies are the result of systems that have backed up with toxins in your brother's body. Instead of eliminating the toxins, things are piling up, resulting in the sluggishness and other symptoms. Remember the descriptions elsewhere on this site of toxin release (detox)? Imagine if you were having these symptoms and couldn't adequately describe them. You would turn to the foods that used to comfort you only to find that they made you feel worse. When your body is trying to deal with toxins like that, it's no wonder that you start to feel scared and begin to imagine frightening things. Who wouldn't?

I suggest the packaged meals because you sound motivated to help, and your mom sounds a like she may be an overwhelmed caregiver at this point. I'll be praying for your brother and your family.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Monita

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »
Posted by: Gabriel Anast 
 however, they very well could be spiritually inspired. I would highly recommend a book called, "Reclaiming Surrendered Ground" By Jim Logan

There is also this excellent book list from ICBCI for "odd" problems which are actually quite common these days. 

Thank you for your advice and for the heads up.  My knowledge in this subject is almost none.   I have not been in Christ for very long, so I do have much to learn.  I will prayerfully look into this book and Gods word on this subject for my mom.  I am encouraged though to find some help for them.  I cannot imagine what they are going through.  We live on the other side of the world from them and would love to learn how to pray more effectively for them from afar.  I know that we have power in Christ, I just need to learn more about it.  The book list was extensive and many of them looked interesting.  Thank you again.

Offline Monita

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 09:47:42 PM »
Posted by: SC 

If I had to guess (a big guess), I would say that allergies are the result of systems that have backed up with toxins in your brother's body. Instead of eliminating the toxins, things are piling up, resulting in the sluggishness and other symptoms. Remember the descriptions elsewhere on this site of toxin release (detox)? Imagine if you were having these symptoms and couldn't adequately describe them. You would turn to the foods that used to comfort you only to find that they made you feel worse. When your body is trying to deal with toxins like that, it's no wonder that you start to feel scared and begin to imagine frightening things. Who wouldn't?

I'll be praying for your brother and your family.

Thank you for your prayers!  I was thinking this too.  Just from all the things I've been learning recently about how foods can be so toxic.  I never knew!  I live in Japan right now and am not able to help my brother eat better.  I think you are wonderful for what you do for your son and mom.  DS children are so loving and happy aren't they.  This must be so scary for him, your right.  I will try to teach mom mom about the gluten free diet but she is very much like you dad I'm afraid. I am going to just give my mom all of the information that I can...... and pray that she will do something with it.  I will also look into the book you recommended.  Thank you so much.

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 02:38:05 AM »
My sister in law has a son with DS and she has always said they are very prone to autism.  The book "Unlocking the Mysteries of Autism and Pervasive ...." (sold at the Bulk Herb Store - they should give Beeyoutiful.com a commission for all our advertising for them! ;D) talks a lot about food allergies and autism.  Maybe there is a link there too.  It would be a good book to read anyway.

Offline Monita

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 02:50:45 AM »
This is a very old post but I just wanted to see if I could renew prayer for my brother and maybe anymore information as I update on his condition. 

My brother is now 24 and has been diagnosed with schizophrenia.  He has been going through many forms of treatment, medications and diagnosis. 

He continues to see and hear things and even was "told" to beat my mom.  He has beat my mom a few times due to his rages that are spurred on by the voices he hears. >:(  He was put into a facility but released back home and now has a psychiatric nurse visit once a week. 

He sleeps all of the time but when he is awake he has an uncontrollable appetite.  I just saw him for the first time, since all of this, in January and he is so huge for such a little frame he's got. :'(   He zones out and becomes completely unresponsive for hours at a time, just sitting there as stiff and angry looking as he can be.  No one can move him when he gets like that so, mom hardly takes him out because she never knows what is going to set him off.  She has noted that these episodes seem to happen every 4 days though.

He complains of much pain in his legs but after MRI's and x-rays nothing was found.  Mom thinks that alot of his anger is because he feels so much pain but does not know how to tell her exactly what hurts.  I think it is his weight.  He has had numerous tests but they have only come to the conclusion that he is schizophrenic or has some other for of psychosis.....they are still not completely sure what he has ???

My husbands Aunt who lives in the same town has Downs too and has been going through the same thing.  She was never violent but was seeing things and people and hearing things.  His Grandma has been treating her with an natural product called "tense defense" along with a prescribbed drug, herbal teas, a strict diet, exercise and she is doing almost 100% better.  They are quite different in there diet, environment, functioning level etc., so we cannot really compare but it is very strange that both are Downs and from the same small town and having these psychiatric issues.  Also, I wish my mom would see the difference in Carmen and at least try to make some diet changes for Wesley. :(

I spoke with my mom recently and she says he now just cries and cries.  He wants so badly for the voices to stop she says.  He says they tell him bad things.  They make personal verbal attacks on him and my mom and tell him to do horrible things, this is what he told her.  My mom has taught him verses which he prays and says.  Mom says that some days are good and he is so happy and will tell her that they are gone but those days are few and far between.   Many people have come to pray over him, missionaries who heard about him even came from Mexico just to pray over him. 
So far she has not changed his diet and is afraid to try natural things.  She is dependant on the Dr's. for all help and she is trusting God with the rest but her faith is not as strong,  as she has only seen my brother get worse over the years.  She is loosing hope and I just do not know how to help them anymore.  I'm praying but am finding it hard to even know what to pray.   :'(

Monita

YoopreMama

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 02:59:14 AM »
Real quick here...I would consider reading the GAPS thread/book for this...it is discussed in there. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 04:49:29 AM »
I absolutely have to second the GAPS book on this one.  It sounds like he needs major diet changes now. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Monita

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 12:42:50 PM »
Yes, I believe he is in real need for detox and diet change!  One of the problems are that she is so afraid to do anything that could interfear with his meds and to make any changes that are not suggested by his Dr., and because he has been violent towards her she fears him and fears denying him of any kind of food that he wants.  She just tries to keep the peace.  I hope they will both find help. 

I read up on the GAPS and it sounds too complicated for her.  Maybe if I could simplify it for her and then make the suggestion she could then show it to the Dr. or even gain enough interest to read the book. .....Maybe?

I did recently buy her Unraveling the Mysteries of Autism before I heard of the GAPS book......I should have bought her the GAPS book maybe?  I am hoping she will read the Autism book and be inspired and encouraged to do research. 

Thank you and I will tell her about what I have learned.