Author Topic: Homeopaths, Naturopaths, Holistics: What's the Difference?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline jaemom

• Adept
Homeopaths, Naturopaths, Holistics: What's the Difference?
« on: June 25, 2006, 08:03:41 AM »
Could someone tell me the difference between a Naturopath and a Homeopathic doctor?  Which is best and how would I go about finding one?  Thanks in advance for the help.
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Homeopaths, Naturopaths, Holistics: What's the Difference?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 08:18:36 AM »
Could someone tell me the difference between a Naturopath and a Homeopathic doctor?  Which is best and how would I go about finding one?  Thanks in advance for the help.

A naturopathic Doctor is a "crossover" practitioner who combines some natropathic applications with traditional allopathic practices such as vaccinations, antibiotics and minor surgery.

Naturopathic medicine proposes that there is a healing power in the body that establishes, maintains, and restores health. Practitioners work with the patient with a goal of supporting this power, through treatments such as nutrition and lifestyle counseling, dietary supplements, medicinal plants, exercise, homeopathy, and treatments from traditional Chinese medicine.

Allopathic is a method of medical treatment that employs the use of agents that produce effects different from the disease being treated. The physicians listed in this directory use a combination of prescribed medications as well as various holistic or natural therapies to support the healing process of the patients.]Allopathic is a method of medical treatment that employs the use of agents that produce effects different from the disease being treated. The physicians listed in this directory use a combination of prescribed medications as well as various holistic or natural therapies to support the healing process of the patients.

A homeopath is a physician who treats disease using minute doses of natural substances that would, in a healthy person, elicit the symptoms of the disease being treated.  These minute dosages would be viewed in traditional medicine as ineffective.

Relating to homeopathy, a system of medicine founded in the late 1700's by Samuel Hahnemann. The system is based on the principle that "like cures like". Practitioners believe that a substance that produces a set of symptoms in a well person will, in minute," potentized" doses, cure those same symptoms in a diseased individual.

CLICK HERE for more information on homeopathy.

I personally just see a regular physician, but I believe most of the members in here prefer the naturopath to the homeopath.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 04:11:09 PM »
My experience with alternative drs. is that it doesn't seem to matter what kind - homeopath or naturopath or whatever - but, how much experience they have.  The longer they have been involved the better they gererally will be.  We have been to several homeopaths, a naturopath, several chiropractors using a combination of things, and the bottom line is experience, they just know what you are talking about and many have seen it before.  Talk to lots of people, if you can find them, who have been to a certain dr.  It can be expensive, so you want to get someone experienced and with good recommendations, if you can find them. 

Best advice I ever had from a dr. was our first homeopath.  He said the goal is always to cure you, and if you feel as if we made some progress, but are stuck and not moving forward then you should try another dr.  He said that he usually sees something and goes down that path, but if he missed something it could prevent you from being helped.  Someone else may look at it from a different point of view and could get you on the right path.  Very different perspective then our medical drs. who just kept putting the antibiotics and steroids to my son believing if you just give them enough long enough you can  cure anything!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:53:39 AM »
What's the difference between a holistic dr. and a natropath?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:10:43 AM by healthybratt »

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 09:36:43 AM »
A naturopathic doctor's key principles are
1. Majority of illness is due to accumulation of toxins.
2.  They look for the cause in violation of the laws of nature (habits, diabetes)
3.  Treat the whole person in their mental, physical, emotional, spiritual environments.
4.  The body has an inherent capacity to heal itself.
5.  Do no harm.  Emphasize a noninvasive treatment.
6.  The Dr. functions as a teacher and counselor, patients are responsible for their health.
I would definitely read The Biblical guide to alternative medicine.  It gives a much more in depth definition. Based on the practices they employ, a majority of N.D's appear to be very eclectic or Eastern in their religious beliefs.

As for Holisitc that is a huge umbrella name from anything to Homeopathy to every other type of alternative medicine.  Today it most commonly refers to the concept that mas a a functioning whole-spirit, soul and body.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:10:55 AM by healthybratt »
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?