Author Topic: Squashed Fingers  (Read 3024 times)

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
Squashed Fingers
« on: April 07, 2006, 04:59:47 AM »
My 4 year old got his fingers slammed in a door about 2 weeks ago.  He didn't carry on too badly but he was real protective over his hand (putting it under his arm, wearing a glove on it, etc.) for several days.  The index and middle finger were really swollen and bruised and my hubby splinted the two together. 
He is no longer favoring that hand and all seemed to be well.  I just noticed yesterday that the fingers are still swollen and he can't make a fist.  He tries but his fingers just won't 'go'. 
Do I need to take him to the doctor?  He doesn't seem to be in any pain but I'm really concerned that he can't make a fist - not even close!  My concern is that they are going to xray his little hand.  All they would do would be to splint the fingers again, right?  It's not that I'm adverse to going to doctors but it always seems like I come home and find a natural remedy anyway and was wondering if there was anything anyone could recommend for the swelling, joint movement, etc. 
Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Squashed Fingers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 05:18:09 AM »
I know how you feel.  I always get so stressed when trying to decide what warrents pro medical care and what doesn't for my kids.   :-[

It's possible the bones are broken and need to be set?  I'm guessing this is not the case if he's experiencing no pain, but it's a thought.

I injured my finger last Christmas day.  I went to the doc and he said I injured the ligament in the knuckle.  He said it works just like the ligament in the knee.  He did not do any x-rays to come to his conclusion.  He told me to splint the fingers if I needed to support it.  It's been almost 4 months and I still have some pain and cannot lift the weight with my hand that I could before as it causes a strain on the finger, but it continues to improve as I try to favor my other hand when lifting heavy objects.

Not much info, but I hope it helps... :-\ 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 06:01:50 AM »
I'd have to say, the bones of the hand are pretty important, and I would go have it xrayed and set.
Doctors are usually very helpful people, especially in emergency medicine techniques. It's general health that you need to personally be responsible for.

This is the "wonder-drug" age, and it's easy to either become a drug-addict, or a zealot on a soap box against the whole medical industry. I'd definitely identify with the later, before giving into the lie about drugs.

However - it sounds like your son may need to see a doctor!

PS: I'm not saying your are a zealot on a soap-box, I'm defining two polar opposites.  8)

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 08:00:54 AM »
i would agree with Rebeka and just get it checked out!  better safe than sorry :)
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline mamasboys

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 01:39:39 PM »
I hate trying to figure out what is something that will get better on its own and what needs a bit of help but in this case I think you guys are right.  I asked him today if his fingers still hurt and he said no but then he just told me he couldn't put the pillows back up on his bed (top bunk) because of his 'owie fingers'. 
Why is it always on a Friday around 5pm that I decide I need to see a doctor??  ::)
Thanks!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 04:03:17 PM »
Why is it always on a Friday around 5pm that I decide I need to see a doctor??  ::)

Trust me, you're not the only one.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!