Author Topic: Alzheimer's Disease  (Read 8628 times)

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
Alzheimer's Disease
« on: June 23, 2006, 04:16:49 AM »
"Metals: in spite of some early concern that aluminum may have some role in Alzheimer's, studies have found no relationship between the development of Alzheimer's and exposure to aluminum in cooking, occupational work, or drinking water.

ยท          Alzheimer's does create a condition that results in aluminum ions replacing iron ions and accumulating in cells, which may contribute to existing dementia.

Some researchers believe that excessive amounts of zinc may promote formation of amyloid plaques. In one experiment, this process was accelerated when zinc was combined with aluminum silicate, a substance found in non-dairy creamers and nonprescription antidiarrheal medications.

Abnormal zinc metabolism has also been found in Alzheimer's patients."

Emerging Worlds: Alzheimer's Disease

I didn't look into this yet, but I wanted to post it before I forgot.  ~L
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 06:07:24 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Alzheimer's Disease
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 06:15:29 AM »
I split your post because I've found some other interesting facts concerning Alzheimer's Disease.

Another potential therapeutic or preventive agent may be omega-3 fatty acids, or fish oil. Inhibition of inflammatory cytokine synthesis, specifically IL-1 and TNF-alpha, can be achieved by increasing the content of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in leukocyte membranes.[20] Reductions in omega-3 fatty acids have also been found to be a risk factor for memory impairment in patients with dementia.[21] The addition of vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol, to omega-3 fatty acids appears to further reduce cytokine expression.[22] Such a contraction may be part of the explanation of the benefits of vitamin E for AD.

You can read the whole article HERE.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 09:09:41 AM »
Nothing has been scientifically "proven" to cause Alzheimer's.  But there are a few very positive links.  One is in fact aluminum.  Whether the person gets it from over exposure to heavy metals or one carries a  genetic predisposition to accumulated aluminum in the brain.
It is a FACT that patients with Alzheimer's do have 2-4 times the amount of aluminum stored in their brains.  When the build up of plaques in their brains were tested, at the center of each one was Aluminum.  One must be careful to say that there is no connection between Alzheimer's and aluminum. 
There is a difference between:  senility, dementia, and Alzheimer's disease. 
If you have a strong history of Alzheimer's in the family, then that would be the time to cut out aluminum products and cookware.  But if you don't have the history of it, then it probably won't make a big difference.  Unless, you eliminated all forms of aluminum and saw an improvement within yourself.

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:11:17 AM »
    Some of you may remember that i had written a while ago about my mother who is 58 and showing all the signs of early alzheimer's. The MRI showed nothing so she started going to a nutritionist. Nothing seemed to help much. Well, they just did a test for aluminum on the brain and it came back very positive. Aluminum toxicity has many of the same symptoms as alz. They're starting her on a program to clean her system out. She didn't know what it was, of course, but she was so excited.
   They said at one time her immune system was very weak, which was about 2 yrs. ago and that's when her short term memory really started slipping.
   The nutritionist said it could have started in the womb already with her mom cooking with aluminum and grandma was also on alot of medications. Over the yrs it built up..................my mom also took alot of over the counter meds for allergies etc and alot of them have aluminum. They are also getting their water tested, which can have high levels of aluminum.
  So much would make sense, including the fact that alzheimer's has been linked to aluminum, in spite of what the medical world says.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:38:12 AM »
Does anyone have any new leads or sources on this subject?  My grandma has been having symptoms of Alzheimer's for years now, coupled with mini-strokes, and my grandpa has just agreed to try some supplements or herbs.  I'm the one who's supposed to do the research, and believe me, I feel the responsibility!  I don't know about amalgam fillings, but I know that she has drunk Pepsi out of aluminum cans for decades.  She won't like changing that, but she can't do her own grocery shopping anymore, so she won't have a choice.  I did think of cod liver oil for starters until we can figure the rest out, and I've heard somewhere about gingko and B-vitamins?  I'm really just asking for some places to look, websites, books, articles, anything that might help.  And any detox she does would have to be really slow and gradual.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 05:10:45 AM »
Does anyone have any new leads or sources on this subject?  My grandma has been having symptoms of Alzheimer's for years now, coupled with mini-strokes, and my grandpa has just agreed to try some supplements or herbs.  I'm the one who's supposed to do the research, and believe me, I feel the responsibility!  I don't know about amalgam fillings, but I know that she has drunk Pepsi out of aluminum cans for decades.  She won't like changing that, but she can't do her own grocery shopping anymore, so she won't have a choice.  I did think of cod liver oil for starters until we can figure the rest out, and I've heard somewhere about gingko and B-vitamins?  I'm really just asking for some places to look, websites, books, articles, anything that might help.  And any detox she does would have to be really slow and gradual.

This book is about a man's journey on how he cured himself of Alzheimer's.  It is a good read:
http://www.amazon.com/Beating-Alzheimers-Unlocking-Mysteries-Diseases/dp/0895294885/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243091428&sr=1-1

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 05:41:33 AM »
Thanks.  I saw this book on Curezone, but you never know about things on that site.  Anymore ideas, anyone?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 06:57:11 AM »
Mycotoxins (toxins from mold, fungus & yeast) can cause all of the symptoms of Alzheimer's as well. So treating for yeast/fungus/leaky gut would likely help. Check out Doug Kaufmann's books & www.knowthecause.com for more info. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Borrow the book "The Green Pharmacy". He has a recipe to use for Alzheimer's.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 03:04:22 PM »
Thanks everybody.  I should have mentioned the fact that there will be no diet change whatsoever.  It just isn't going to happen.  But I talked to my mom, and she said that there are no amalgam fillings, she doesn't use deodorant, and that the Pepsi drinking is very minimal these days.  So those are all good things!  Mom also said that she would start the CLO, and work from there.  Anything new is very scary to Grandma, even one more pill than normal will freak her out.  But it's a start! 

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 04:15:10 PM »
Niacinamide!! I have seen this recommended recently by several health publications I trust.  The research is being done at UCI.

The dose in the mice study was a hefty 200 mg/kg per day. The human study will use a dose of 1,500 mg of niacinamide twice daily. This should be very safe with minimal to no untoward side effects.

The niacinamide wipes the tau proteins out of the nerve pathways, restoring diseased neurons - the neurons are saved and normalized.

Robert J. Rowen recommends niacinamide, 1,500 mg twice daily for ANY TYPE OF DEMENTIA.

IMPORTANT: use niacinamide, and not its sister niacin.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 03:32:14 AM »
The recipe in the Green Pharmacy is for a soup. If she already eats soup then that might not be scary at all. Maybe you could take some to them once a week or so and see how it goes. Or if you can't take it to them, maybe you could get someone nearby to make it and take to them?

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 08:48:37 AM »
You also might try adding supplements (powdered) to a smoothie or a strong flavored juice to disguise the taste.  I would get creative to get the niacinamide into her routine.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »
You also might try adding supplements (powdered) to a smoothie or a strong flavored juice to disguise the taste.  I would get creative to get the niacinamide into her routine.

That's what I was thinking too.
Who Needs God?

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 05:58:27 PM »
I will suggest it to my mom.  I live 500 miles away, and she doesn't even remember me sometimes, so I couldn't really help anyway.  I'm going to look a little more into the niacinamide, and hope that my parents can get her to take more than the one pill.  She doesn't eat anything but refined foods, and she drinks water most of the time.  It's so difficult to watch her slip away when I know there are things that can help her.  But the fact that Grandpa is even letting me look into options is a miracle, so who knows?