Author Topic: Healthy & Natural Cookie Recipes  (Read 41579 times)

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
Re: Healthy & Natural Cookie Recipes
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2007, 06:04:54 PM »
It's rendered pig fat (but I'm sure you knew that)
WR

Actually, I had no clue...thought it was some type of fat from an animal but since I'm from VT and no one uses it here (or calls it that)  I didn't know anymore than that.  Is suet the same thing?

Can bar recipes be added to the cookies thread?  I love to make bar cookies since they are less hassle and quicker.  We make apple bars or raspberry bars the most.  It is a good way to get oats into them since they don't care for oatmeal and I bought 50 pounds of organic oats...any recipes with oats...not the original oatmeal cookies and nothing with chocolate as they don't seem to like it in their cookies.   ??? I know, strange children.
Lovin'

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:28:54 PM by healthybratt »

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »
NO-FLOUR cookie recipe follows:

OK folks, let me start with the disclaimers.  I have never made this specific recipe, but I have recently eaten a flourless, peanut butter and oatmeal monster cookie that was very buttery.  I am pretty sure this is at least close to the recipe.  I intend to try it and tweak it as needed.

http://cookie.betterrecipes.com/noflourmonstercookies.html

There is a small amt of corn syrup that will raise eyes as well as white suger.  I would bet another sugar could sub in.  I would guess that the end product would be drier though if you did not use the corn syrup.

I intend to test and report back though I have said that a couple times about kombucha info & biscuits...  But I couldn't pass up the chance that this flourless cookie might be a treat for someone.

I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2008, 08:37:08 AM »
We just made this flourless recipe ( above, from Sarahk)  with the following substitutions:
Sucanat instead of brown sugar
Xylitol instead of white sugar (I had just bought some to make toothpaste)
Honey instead of corn syrup (I also have Agave and would try that too)
More choc. chips instead of M&Ms
About 1/2 c. Organic unsweetened coconut

Kids love them. They are not so sweet which is nice..the xtra chocolate is good too!
I used a 1 1/2" scoop and the recipe made about 5-6 dozen. I took a picture but the file was too big so I'll try to shrink it and attach.
(They look like oatmeal cookies. Thick ones!)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:40:38 AM by freshisbest »

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2008, 08:48:54 AM »
Flourless Choc Chip Cookie Pic attached

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »
Since HB will deleat this soon from the chat thread, I decided to add it here in case anyone would like to use it:

Double Pumpkin Cookies

1/2 c. butter, softened (best if slightly hard yet...not to the melting point, anyways)
1 1/4 c sucanat
2 eggs, or 6ish Tablespoons yogurt
1 1/2 c. thick cooked pumpkin (or any kind of squash)
2 1/2 c. flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teasoppn salt
1/3 teaspoon ginger (didn't have that on hand, so used 1/4 teaspoon allspice)
1-1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds (used raw, unsalted, shelled. Can use up to 2c., if you like the seeds a lot)

Oven: 400

Cream butter and sucanat. Stir in eggs/yogurt and pumpkin. Seperately combine rest of ingredients except seeds, Stir into wet mixture. Stir in seeds.

I then used the butter wrapper to "grease" pans, and had no problems grease-wise the rest of the way through the batches.

Drop by spoonfulls onto pan(s), bake for 15 minuites, cool (if you can ).

These freeze wonderfully too.

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2008, 11:23:34 AM »
I use a Vitamix to grind my flour which does not have a pastry flour option like Katy*did mentioned.  I guess that's an option to make the flour more fine?  Well, then, am I out of luck here or am I missing something?     

I use the vitamix to grind my flour all the time and have never had a problem with my flour not gettign fine enough. Her eis what I do.

Grind two cups grain at a time in the grain pitcher Start the vitamix, turn to 10, then to high and grind till the flour doesn't seem tot be moving down much. You can use the plunger a few times then, but not too much.
I have never had an issue with coarse flour doing it this way. I hope you can get it to work for you. I just love my vitamix for grinding all my grains. 

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2008, 04:02:31 PM »
My friend created this recipe for 'healthy' chocolate chip cookies, and they are incredible.  I was sceptical about the spice, but it's a tiny amount, and doesn't compete with the chocolate at all...it lends a nice background flavor.

She uses Sucanat (3/4 c) + Sucanat with honey (1/2) to sweeten. 
I used Zulka (unrefined cane juice crystals). 

Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 c. butter, creamed
1 1/4 c. sugar or equivalent sweetner of your choice
1 egg
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1/8-1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 c. flour
3 c. old fashioned oats
1 1/2 - 2 c. choc. chunks (Ghirradelli recommended)

Cream together wet ingredients.  Measure out dry ingredients (except chocolate chunks) into a mound on wax paper, blending together a bit.  Add dry ingedients into butter mixture in three batches, combining well between each addition.  Add chocolate chunks last and blend in.

Preheat oven to 375.  Bake for about 9-11 min for crunchy cookies, or 6-9 min. for chewy cookies.  I love them chewy, and so I bake just until the edges are pale brown and the centers still look raw.  They'll conintue to bake and set up after you take them out of the oven.

Yield: approx. 2 dozen cookies.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
Help!  I made the almond cookies from NT.  They went completely flat??  They taste great, but I had to crumble them up, will put them in yogurt and oatmeal.  I actually made them with the jam in the middle.  I used coconut oil instead of butter, would that make them go flat?  Also, after 5 min I took them out and put the jam in, was that the problem?
I really would like to make these again, but I'm clueless as to why they didn't stay "risen". :o

Wendy

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2011, 11:56:53 AM »
I have noticed that coconut oil does not behave quite the same as butter in cookie recipes.  I have read that you need to reduce the amount when subbing coconut oil for butter.