Author Topic: Healthy & Natural Cookie Recipes  (Read 61376 times)

Nickole

Re: Healthy & Natural Cookie Recipes
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
Here's another one that I substituted my whole wheat flour in and got great results.

1 cup butter (if you use unsalted butter, add 1/4-1/2 tsp more salt)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 c oats
12 oz chocolate chips
3/4 cup nuts (I always leave out the nuts)

Do the wet ingredients, do the dry ingredients, and mix.  Add oats and ch.chips last
Cook 9-12 minutes @ 375.

I discovered you could substitute because my daughter used WW flour one day when I got her to make cookies.  She wasn't thinking and used the WW flour.  They turned out great.
I haven't tried to sub honey for sugar.  I guess these are only moderately healthy. ::) ;)

Thanks!  Maybe mixing with oats like you did will work! 

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2007, 04:21:10 PM »
My flour is medium...I think?. :-\   It doesn't seem super fine.  Kinda like the WW flour you'd buy in the grocery store. 

If we grind it too fine, my bread messes up.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 04:29:49 PM »
Since grinding my own flour, I have not had success in making chocolate chip cookies at all.   

Hey Nickole - I've had this problem for nearly 4 years . . . until this week when I found this recipe here at WTM.  They really are AWESOME!  Thanks Christy!!

AWESOME Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. butter (or your fav. dairy free alt.)
1 1/2 c. raw sugar (or sucanat)
2 eggs (or 2 T egg replacer, 1/2 c. water, & 2 T ground flax seed--whisk in bowl & add)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 T. hot water
1 1/2 c. ww pastry flour
2 c. oatmeal
3/4 c. coconut (unsweet is good)
1 c. nuts (i like pecans)
1 pkg. choc chips (or carob or whatever--real is awesome tho   )

mix and bake at 350 for 10 min.

Did you grind your own pastry flour?  I think I would not be able to, since I don't have a "fine" button.  

hi gals!  i have done it both ways.  i bought ww. pastry flour for 2 years before i found out that it was just soft wheat berries.  it comes pretty finely ground.  i get it in Amish country at a bulk food store.  hope you can find some.  my grinder just does one grind (i don't have any way to adjust it) and it's fine enough.  give it a try!   ;)
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 04:44:46 PM »
The cookies sound great but I have a couple of questions.

"2 eggs (or 2 T egg replacer, 1/2 c. water, & 2 T ground flax seed--whisk in bowl & add)"

I got the part about 2 eggs & that the other is an option to sub. for the eggs but is it

2 T egg replacer OR 1/2 c. water, & 2 T ground flax seed--whisk in bowl & add

or is it

2 T egg replacer AND 1/2 c. water, & 2 T ground flax seed--whisk in bowl & add

I would probably just use the eggs myself but it would be nice to know which it is in case I'm out of eggs.

If you use coconut oil do you cream it with the sugar, then add the eggs or what?

Also, have you ever used honey or something else for sweetening? My kids can't have sugar or sucanat. Thanks Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 03:34:17 AM »
I only use whole wheat flower no matter what I am making.  Most people don't even notice the difference in my baked goods if I use pastry flour or finely ground whole white wheat.  (I know it's not organic, but I think King Arthur has the finest grind I've come across in pre-ground flour.)   ~L

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2007, 04:35:49 AM »
I only use whole wheat flower no matter what I am making.  Most people don't even notice the difference in my baked goods if I use pastry flour or finely ground whole white wheat.  (I know it's not organic, but I think King Arthur has the finest grind I've come across in pre-ground flour.)   ~L
Same here. Whole wheat flour doesn't seem to affect the texture much unless it's in a yeast bread, IMO. I guess you would probably notice it if you weren't used to it but it doesn't make things "tough" in baked goods like it does with ww bread.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2007, 04:52:42 AM »
The cookies sound great but I have a couple of questions.

"2 eggs (or 2 T egg replacer, 1/2 c. water, & 2 T ground flax seed--whisk in bowl & add)"

I got the part about 2 eggs & that the other is an option to sub. for the eggs but is it

2 T egg replacer OR 1/2 c. water, & 2 T ground flax seed--whisk in bowl & add

or is it

2 T egg replacer AND 1/2 c. water, & 2 T ground flax seed--whisk in bowl & add

I would probably just use the eggs myself but it would be nice to know which it is in case I'm out of eggs.

If you use coconut oil do you cream it with the sugar, then add the eggs or what?

Also, have you ever used honey or something else for sweetening? My kids can't have sugar or sucanat. Thanks Blessings ~herbalmom

hi herbalmom--sorry if my recipe was a bit confusing.  i had made these "normal" with white sugar and brown, a long time ago.  then when i found out about my "food allergies" i modified it.  at the time i couldn't tolerate any reg. sugar.  also, eggs and butter were out.  so everything in parenthesis is just subs for if something in the recipe doesn't work for you.  yeah, the flax whip is handy for if you run out of eggs.  it works great for all baked goods.

flax whip is:

2 T. powdered egg replacer from a health food store, mixed with 2 T. ground flax & 1/2 c. water.  use a wire whisk to mix, then add to cookie dough bowl.  

my friend gave me this recipe for added nutrition, but i found it to work much better than just the powder alone.  

i've never tried honey, sorry but maybe someone else on here can help you with that one.  

i've never used coconut oil, but i would put it in first make sure it was slightly soft, then add sugar, etc. to it.  i have messed up this recipe soooo many times, and the friend i got it from had no order of how to put things in, she just threw it all into the bowl without even measuring it.  ::)  i had to have measurements!  so i got her to estimate them.  anyway, i would just mess around with the amounts.  as long as it isn't too thick or thin when it's done.  when i first started trying whole wheat flour we ate a lot of bricks!   ;D  
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2007, 05:30:29 AM »
Thank you. The whole house is going on a antifungal diet so I won't get to try these for a while but once we can eat some sweets I will be sure to give them a try. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Hootie Hoo/the-beth

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »
Anyone have any healthy cookie recipes?  I just had one (or two) of those Nestle Break & Bake chocolate chip cookies at my daughter's preschool graduation, and now I'm craving them.  Thought I would get on here and see if anyone had any suggestions for something healthier (but still tasty!)
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become." Pericles

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 10:36:14 AM »
Our framily favorite, simple, easy:
RICH PEANUT BUTTER BARS
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups Sucanat
2 eggs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Melt butter and peanut butter together. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well blended. Press into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Cool and cut into squares. Makes about 2 dozen. 1/2 cup of cocoa may be added for an extra rich brownie.(Recipe courtesy of The Breadbeckers.)

If someone were going to make these, but didn't have any Sucanat, would that person use brown or white sugar?  Or could there possibly be a way of substituting honey?
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become." Pericles

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2007, 10:51:53 AM »
There is a thread on whole wheat cookie recipes.  You might find some scrumptious ones over there.  I'll try to post the link:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4000.0.html

Kendra

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2007, 11:07:07 AM »
There is a thread on whole wheat cookie recipes.  You might find some scrumptious ones over there.  I'll try to post the link:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4000.0.html

Kendra

THANKS! ;D

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2007, 08:08:39 AM »
bump
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2007, 01:46:54 PM »
Love these.  Not too sweet.  Substitute as you desire for the less attractive ingredients.

The Kaffe's Famous Peanut Buttter, Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip and Coffee Cookies

2 sticks butter
1/4 cup peanut butter (natural, no sugar added)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups unsifted flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups uncooked oats
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 tbsp coffee, finely ground

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cream butter and peanut butter with sugars.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  Stir flour with baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture.  Stir in oats.  Fold in chocolate chips, walnuts and coffee.

Form dough into a log.  Slice and bake for 10 minutes.
~~~~~
Oh, my.  I just realized I never follow the recipe! 

For the oil (butter and peanut butter), you just want a total of 1 1/4 cups, so vary the proportions to taste - more peanut, less butter.  Coconut oil is good, too.

For the sugar, substitute all brown sugar (1 1/4 cups), or honey, molasses, or maple syrup (1 cup).

Use any whole grain flour.

Use any combination of chocolate chips (semi, milk, white) or carob.

Use any nuts (I like walnut best).

To grind the coffee finely, I add a tbsp of flour along with the coffee in my Vita-Mix.  If it is not finely ground, the cookies will be grainy.

I flatten dough balls on the cookie sheet, instead of slicing.

If you follow the recipe  ;), you get a very crunchy cookie.  Soaking the oats makes a drop cookie that is cakey and more delicate (crumbly). 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:33:31 AM by DHW »

Offline seasonsmom

• Learning
    • blogger.com
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2007, 09:53:53 AM »
Since grinding my own flour, I have not had success in making chocolate chip cookies at all.   

Hey Nickole - I've had this problem for nearly 4 years . . . until this week when I found this recipe here at WTM.  They really are AWESOME!  Thanks Christy!!

AWESOME Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. butter (or your fav. dairy free alt.)
1 1/2 c. raw sugar (or sucanat)
2 eggs (or 2 T egg replacer, 1/2 c. water, & 2 T ground flax seed--whisk in bowl & add)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 T. hot water
1 1/2 c. ww pastry flour
2 c. oatmeal
3/4 c. coconut (unsweet is good)
1 c. nuts (i like pecans)
1 pkg. choc chips (or carob or whatever--real is awesome tho   )

mix and bake at 350 for 10 min.

Did you grind your own pastry flour?  I think I would not be able to, since I don't have a "fine" button.  
nIKOLE,
I don't know if you are still in the "no- button- for- the- fine- grind mode" since your last post seemed to have been in april, unless i didn't go to the next page.   ;D.  I have a friend who needs to gring her soft wheat occasionally and I am happy to do that for her.  I even told her I'd be happy to grind her bread flour!  Do you have a friend who can do that for your cookies?  Freezer a few gallon bags full! should last a while! I have 4 kids and mine lasts! Natalie

Nickole

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2007, 10:49:07 AM »
Hi, Natalie, and thanks!  I am buying some soft wheat berries for the first time actually, which I usually have bought hard.  So that should work, huh?

Offline Ledbyfaith

• Wide Eyed
  • Hello!
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2007, 11:24:08 AM »
I have tryed creating my own recipes.. they turn out fine, but sometimes..  :o
M.L.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 06:20:50 PM »
I made the most wonderful orange spiced cookies tonight.  DREAMY.   ::)

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar (I know, I know  ::))
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk (I used raw/whole)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup lard
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons orange extract

Preheat oven 350oF.

Sift dry ingredients together.

In separate bowl, cream butter, lard & sugar until light and fluffy.  Add orange extract, egg & milk.  Mix well.

Add flour mixture slowly.  Blend until smooth (I used beaters.)

Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheet 3 inches apart.  Bake 10-13 minutes or until cookies begin to brown on top edges.

These have got to be the most fabulous sugar cookies I've ever eaten. ;D   ;D

My favorite herb book!!

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2007, 09:55:47 AM »
I hope it's ok for me to post this recipe this way.  As I list it, it's not going to be very healthy.  But you could easily substitute healthy alternatives.  I'm just going to post it as I have it since I'm not as good as most of you at converting recipes to healthy!  These are Bars, not quite cookies.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

1 C. Peanut Butter       (natural should work)
1/4 t. Salt
1 t. Vanilla
1 C. Flour                  (whole wheat should be fine)
1 1/4 C. White Sugar      (sub. w/ Honey?)
3 Eggs
6 T. Butter
1 1/2 C. Chocolate Chips   (there is a fairly healthy chocolate out there, right?)

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, combine peanut butter and butter until smooth.  Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Beat until creamy.  Blend in flour and salt.  Stir in one cup chocolate chips.  Spread in a 9 x 13 pan.  Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until edges begin to brown.  Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.  Let stand 5 minutes until chips become soft.  Spread chocolate evenly over top.  Cool completely.

My dad made these last night.  The unhealthy way.... :)  They're really good. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:02:00 AM by *MommaJo* »

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2007, 10:01:36 AM »
I hope it's ok for me to post this recipe this way.  As I list it, it's not going to be very healthy.  But you could easily substitute healthy alternatives.  I'm just going to post it as I have it since I'm not as good as most of you at converting recipes to healthy!  These are Bars, not quite cookies.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

1 C. Peanut Butter       (natural should work)
1/4 t. Salt
1 t. Vanilla
1 C. Flour                  (whole wheat should be fine)
1 1/4 C. White Sugar      (sub. w/ Honey?)
3 Eggs
6 T. Butter
1 1/2 C. Chocolate Chips   (there is a fairly healthy chocolate, right?)

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, combine peanut butter and butter until smooth.  Add sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Beat until creamy.  Blend in flour and salt.  Stir in one cup chocolate chips.  Spread in a 9 x 13 pan.  Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until edges begin to brown.  Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.  Let stand 5 minutes until chips become soft.  Spread chocolate evenly over top.  Cool completely.

My dad make these last night.  The unhealthy way.... :)  They're really good. 

Thank you!!!  I've been looking for a recipe like this for a while.  You've made my husband very happy! :)

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »
Okay, here is what I usually do and so far everyone has liked it everytime.

I choose my recipe and then substitute just about everthing.

Crisco = Coconut oil

Flour = whole wheat flour, Spelt Flour or Combination of flours

Sugar = honey or organic sugar

I hope this was helpful.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2007, 04:34:44 PM »

1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup lard
1 teaspoon nutmeg

HB, you roll your eyes at sugar and then I see LARD  :o....can people still buy that stuff?  Do you have to slaughter your own pig or are there other ways of obtaining it? ;) I truly am gagging at the thought of trying to use animal fat in my cookies. :P  I can see butter, but Lard?  Do you mean Crisco?   I haven't used that in years either though (did I ever...I can't remember). 

Maybe I will try the recipe tomorrow, will it be okay if I only use butter and sub for the LARD :P ?

Lovin'

Offline Rikki

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2007, 04:50:24 PM »

1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup lard
1 teaspoon nutmeg

HB, you roll your eyes at sugar and then I see LARD  :o....can people still buy that stuff?  Do you have to slaughter your own pig or are there other ways of obtaining it? ;) I truly am gagging at the thought of trying to use animal fat in my cookies. :P  I can see butter, but Lard?  Do you mean Crisco?   I haven't used that in years either though (did I ever...I can't remember). 

Maybe I will try the recipe tomorrow, will it be okay if I only use butter and sub for the LARD :P ?

Lovin'

what about coconut oil? would that work? let us know HB!

YoopreMama

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2007, 04:56:34 PM »
Ha ha!  :D  I don't think she means Crisco, honey!  I think I recall HB being a fan of lard...I am, too, if I could get a good source of it.  :-\  I bought some once from the Midwest...they had to pack it in dry ice or something...$5/# for the lard, but shipping brought it up to almost $20!   :o  It's a GOOD fat!   ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2007, 08:12:49 AM »

1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter softened
1/2 cup lard
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Lovin'
I don't roll my eyes at sugar, that was for everyone else's benefit.  We eat white sugar in my house.  We also use honey and stevia and...(shhhhh, don't tell anyone), we also use bleached all-purpose flour from WalMart....there, I said it.  You must not have read the thread where everyone was throwing rotten fruit at me for using Velveeta.

They sell hydrogenated lard in just about every grocery store and Walmart I've ever been in, but I want it un-hydrogenated, so I buy mine online.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2007, 08:15:29 AM »
Ha ha!  :D  I don't think she means Crisco, honey!  I think I recall HB being a fan of lard...I am, too, if I could get a good source of it.  :-\  I bought some once from the Midwest...they had to pack it in dry ice or something...$5/# for the lard, but shipping brought it up to almost $20!   :o  It's a GOOD fat!   ;D
I don't know why they would pack it cold...maybe you know something I don't, but I bought 50lbs online last year and with shipping included, it only cost me $35.00.  I still have some left.  I'd say, for my family, it's about an 18 month supply.

CRISCO????  No way!!  Now THAT is a dirty word in my house.  ;D

I'm sure you could substitute any fat you like - I think the solid fats are better, but I'm sure it wouldn't matter.  I don't like coconut flavor, so I personally would use butter, if I didn't have lard.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2007, 09:00:48 AM »
Okay, so enlighten me as to what or where lard comes from.  I'm sure I could google it but you all are more entertaining.
Lovin'

By the by, I buy raw organic cows milk for 5/ gallon and get a quart of cream which yields 1/2c butter.  Someone else figure out the price for me.  I guess that's 40/pound! (I had to pull it together, sorry) Good thing I don't rely on that for my cooking, although it doesn't taste any different in my opinion. I do use the milk for cereal and baking so it doesn't get wasted...still kinda expensive. 

Hey, where are the cookies?

<a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZNfox000%2526i%253D36%252F36%255F16%255F12%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">[img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_16_12.gif[/img]

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2007, 09:04:54 AM »
It's rendered pig fat (but I'm sure you knew that) and it's a saturated fat, hence, a good-for-you fat. I know, I know, not what you hear from the media or mainstream medicine.

And it really doesn't taste like pig so it's fine to use it in sweet treats.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2007, 11:31:31 AM »
I was wondering what you could use in place of lard?  ??? I am allergic to pork and so figure that lard is out of the question for me. Would the Spectrum shortening stuff work? It is non-hydrogenated......... just palm oil I believe.

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »
You can use just palm shortening.
I have been using it and like it.  It is a good fat from
what I have read so far.  It is the same chain fatty acid as coconut oil.
HTH