Author Topic: Healthy & Natural Cookie Recipes  (Read 61372 times)

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
Healthy & Natural Cookie Recipes
« on: June 22, 2006, 06:33:49 AM »
Anyone have a good recipe for p-nutbutter cookies that use honey instead of sugar? And doesn't use all kinds of expensive ingredients?

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
Re: Healthy & Natural Cookie Recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 03:15:29 AM »
We have a Betty Crocker Cookie Book and my daughters are making PB cookies today!  We are going to try 1/3 cup of raw honey in place of 1/2 cup of sugar.  I will let you know in a few hours how it went and how they taste!
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 04:51:49 AM »
The PB cookies are a hit! 8)  Here is the recipe Em and Kate used:
Preheat oven to 375*F
Beat together in large bowl:
1/3 cup raw honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening (we use pure pig lard)
1 egg

Stir in:
1 1/4 cups flour (we just use regular unbleached)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten slightly in crisscross pattern with fork dipped in brown sugar.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown.  Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to wire racks.
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

freshisbest

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »
I mill my own whole wheat flour and use it exclusively in my cooking.
(Hard Red, Hard White, and Soft White). I have made Gingersnaps using the
whole wheat flour, Sucanat, and olive oil. They were flatter but delicious!
Does anyone have a Sugar Cookie recipe for using cookie cutters? I don't know
how the proportions change using 100% whole wheat and sucanat ( I grind it
fine sometimes.) Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:47:24 PM by healthybratt »

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 05:58:54 PM »
These recipes work great even w/ hard red wheat flour. I've been working on them for awhile. They are husband-approved :D

Molasses Cookies (these taste very similar to Archway brand soft molasses cookies)
1 cup butter
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice crystals/succanat/or br. sugar
1 cup pure cane syrup
1 cup pure sorghum (blackstrap might work)
2 eggs
1/2 -1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. ginger
4 tsp. baking soda
Mix well...Add...
8-10 cups wh. wheat flour (hard works fine, soft is better) amount seems to vary each time. I add as little as possible but you want enough flour so that they puff and spread but are not thin.I always bake a few and see if it is right then we eat the test ones right up whether they were perfect or not ;) Bake at 350* for 10-15 min. (I think my oven is off so I have to go by touch. Let one cool and you can tell if it is done. Underdone will be gooey and done is soft...they get hard rather than crispy so you don't want to overbake)

Best Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil  (or just 1 cup butter total)
1/2- 1 cup evaporated sugar crystals
Cream. (a power-mixer is handy especially if the coconut oil is very hard) Add...
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Mix. Add...
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups flour (soft white wh. wh. is best)
Mix well. Add...
3 cups oatmeal (if flaking your own start with oat groats not whole oats)
your choice of goodies- 6 oz. choc chips, nuts, or dried fruit
Mix only until ingredients are combined. Do not overmix. Pulse or stir in by hand because over mixing ruins the texture.
Bake at 350-375 for 10-12 minutes or until just lightly brown. A little less makes a nice soft cookie and a little more makes a wonderfully crispy cookie that melts in your mouth. These are my favorite cookies! ;D w/ choc. chips, of course ;)

If you prefer to soak all your grains, soak grains-dry-grind/flake, and then use for cookies.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 06:13:24 PM »
Here is a cookie recipe I found  from NGJ magizine a long time ago. I just went and copied and pasted  the recipe to here from their site.

It uses whole wheat.

I made them to be great big and hubby took them to work to share. The guys at work joked and said they were not cookies but instead they are cakes because of their size. We like them. I made them and gave them to a bunch of carnies that were camping next to our camp site for 2  summers. We had one of those all summer long camping sites and we befriended some of the carnies from the fair. They loved them also.

Here is the cookie recipe copied and pasted from NGJ:

Beka’s Chocolate-chip Cookies

(makes 48-52 large cookies)

Cream together:

1 ½ cup softened butter
½ cup oil
1 ½ cup white sugar
1 ½ cup brown sugar 

Add one at a time:

5 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract

Stir in:

2 level Tbsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups wheat flour
2 cups white flour (You can use all white if you prefer; I found that people preferred the chewiness and flavor the wheat flour gave.)

Knead in:

12 -16 oz. package Semi-sweet Chocolate chips (depending on how many chips you like)
1c chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts (if you like, but I don’t usually add them because my son has a nut allergy.)

Add more white flour, kneading it in until the dough is stiff like bread dough, and the chips just begin to fall out as you knead.

Shape into golf-ball size balls, flatten slightly between palms, and lay the thick disks on a cookie sheet to bake about 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven before they begin to brown. Cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes before removing. Cool completely on flat surface before storing them in an airtight container (zip-lock type bags by the dozen or 2 dozen).

freshisbest

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 03:19:41 AM »
Pure Cane Syrup and Sorghum....where do you buy those?( In traditional
recipes would molasses be substituted for these?) I buy bulk from
Azure Farms and assume they have them.

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 06:11:03 AM »
I just made really delicious chocolate chip cookies, all whole wheat. I can't find my recipe at the moment, also busy with tests today, but you can google Betty Crocker's whole wheat chocolate chip cookies, that's how I found it. They were so good!
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline bzymom

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 08:20:41 AM »
When I make cookies (which is rare!)  I just follow the recipe on the back of the chocolate chip bag, and sub wwf for half the flour and grind up steel cut oats and flax and any other whole grains I have on hand for the other half.  I use half the sugar in the form of sucunat.  I also add coconut, and butterscotch chips, and rolled oats in at the end.  They are so good!  They really don't flatten out, they stay in the ball shape, but they have such good flavor and I don't feel bad for making them and giving them to the kids.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 08:45:14 AM »
Pure Cane Syrup and Sorghum....where do you buy those?( In traditional
recipes would molasses be substituted for these?) I buy bulk from
Azure Farms and assume they have them.
Yes, molasses or Karo would be what the standard recipe calls for. I've found pure cane syrup in reg. grocery stores and health food stores. You can mail order sorghum at this #931-445-3589 or pick it up if you are in the area (not my business but great folks) if you can't find it anywhere else or sub. blackstrap...

freshisbest

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 11:37:59 AM »
Becca's Choc Chip Cookies from NGJ are the BEST!I'm having trouble making dough that rolls out....to be cut with cutters....another great source for recipes:www.breadbeckers.com

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 12:05:13 PM »
I don't have a sugar cookie recipe but here's my whole wheat chocolate chip craisin cookies recipe.  They're a favorite!

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar (or 1 1/2 cups succanat)
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup Craisins
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

My husband's family is Scottish, and we'd love a whole wheat shortbread, which I am guessing is a kin to a whole wheat sugar cookie.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 04:18:08 PM »
I find that if I grind hard whilte wheat in my mill to pastry flour, I can use it in any cookie recipe in place of the white flour.  I LOVE shortbread, ShabbyChic!!  I've used it for this, too, and it worked great. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 04:24:27 PM »
Yeah, I substitute 100% wheat for recipes, too, but sometimes it is too dense or bitter for some of our family.  But (I'm new to grinding grain) is the pastry flour the finest setting on the mill?  When recipes call for pastry flour or bread flour, what's the difference?  I just use flour.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 03:28:46 AM »
Yeah, I substitute 100% wheat for recipes, too, but sometimes it is too dense or bitter for some of our family.  But (I'm new to grinding grain) is the pastry flour the finest setting on the mill?  When recipes call for pastry flour or bread flour, what's the difference?  I just use flour.
Pastry flour is made from soft wheat, bread flour is made from hard wheat.
"The flours of hard wheats (11 to 13% protein) develop strong gluten complexes during mixing and are therefore suitable for making bread. Whole soft wheats (9 to 11% protein) yield flours that are used primarily for cakes, cookies, and pastries."
 Having said that, I don't have any soft wheat at the moment, and I do make muffins/cookies/etc. with finely ground hard wheat.  The results are not as light but are still good. HTH!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 03:42:14 AM by chopchop »

freshisbest

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 03:26:09 AM »
"Shortening Bread" by The breadbeckers (www.breadbeckers.com)
2 c. fresh milled flour ( hard white) (for an even 'shorter' texture, substitute rice flour for the hard white wheat flour) 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 c. sucanat, 1 c. chilled bvutter
Mix together dry ingredients. Cut in butter working it with youe hands. Press into a 9x9 square pan. Prick with a fork. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Cut while warm.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 05:52:52 AM »
I would call this a sugar cookie...I have only made these a few times w/ whole wheat flour and less sugar, but I think the kinks are worked out... Made with some nut flour you can't even tell they are wh. wh. These cookies go over big w/ the guys at work.

Snickerdoodles
beat until fluffy...
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup evap. cane sugar
Add and mix well...
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Add and mix...
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
Add and mix only until combined...
3 1/4 -3 1/2 cups wh. wh. flour (definitely better w/ soft wh.)

Chill thoroughly (at least 2 hrs) and form into balls. Flatten slightly and dip top side in cinnamon sugar. bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

PS. I made this batter last night rolled it into a roll and chilled all night. This morning I sliced it into rounds, dipped the tops, and baked...it worked beautifully and took less time  ;) I love find ways to be more efficient. ;D I think that you could keep the unbaked cookies in the fridge for at least 5 days. Next I want to try freezing the unbaked rounds and see how that works... wouldn't it be great to have instant fresh cookies for guests? 8)

Nutty snickerdoodles
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
scant tsp of salt
3/4 cup to 1 cup of nut flour
2 2/3 cup wh. wh. flour

Mix as the recipe above...Chill dough and roll into balls. Flatten slightly and dip tops in to crushed nuts or top with whole nut halves/slices. bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.
Our favorite nuts are pecan and almond...

These cookies freeze exceptionally well.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 06:45:49 AM by boysmama »

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 06:48:15 AM »
We don't go much for carob chips here, but I would like to find some organic, dark choc. chips. Does anyone know where I might be able to find them?

Offline Sonja

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 07:57:24 AM »
I just saw some the other day in the bulk section of our local food coop store.  I'm not sure how much they are.  If you don't find them anywhere else, I could buy some and mail them to you! 

Total side note: I've recently discovered our wonderful coop.  My favorite thing in the bulk section is julienned sun-dried tomatoes!  Soooo yummy and they aren't soaked in all the oil.

Sonja

Offline Mrs_H

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 08:31:16 PM »
The PB cookies are a hit! 8)  Here is the recipe Em and Kate used:
Preheat oven to 375*F
Beat together in large bowl:
1/3 cup raw honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening (we use pure pig lard)
1 egg

Stir in:
1 1/4 cups flour (we just use regular unbleached)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten slightly in crisscross pattern with fork dipped in brown sugar.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown.  Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to wire racks.

I just made these cookies and they are so yummy! They are the perfect texture, I did use coconut oil instead of shortening:) Thanks!

freshisbest

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 05:07:41 AM »
Our framily favorite, simple, easy:
RICH PEANUT BUTTER BARS
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups Sucanat
2 eggs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Melt butter and peanut butter together. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well blended. Press into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Cool and cut into squares. Makes about 2 dozen. 1/2 cup of cocoa may be added for an extra rich brownie.(Recipe courtesy of The Breadbeckers.)

Nickole

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 04:11:21 PM »
Help somebody!!!  Since grinding my own flour, I have not had success in making chocolate chip cookies at all.  I used to just replace the sugar with sucanat and flour with 100% (store bought) whole wheat, and they were yummy.  BUT since freshly ground flour is not as fine as store bought, the cookies have a sand-ish texture - lots of hard chewy spots basically.  And they just don't taste that great.  I use Prairie Gold wheat.  I use a Vitamix to grind my flour which does not have a pastry flour option like Katy*did mentioned.  I guess that's an option to make the flour more fine?  Well, then, am I out of luck here or am I missing something? 

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 04:30:11 PM »
Help somebody!!!  Since grinding my own flour, I have not had success in making chocolate chip cookies at all.  I used to just replace the sugar with sucanat and flour with 100% (store bought) whole wheat, and they were yummy.  BUT since freshly ground flour is not as fine as store bought, the cookies have a sand-ish texture - lots of hard chewy spots basically.  And they just don't taste that great.  I use Prairie Gold wheat.  I use a Vitamix to grind my flour which does not have a pastry flour option like Katy*did mentioned.  I guess that's an option to make the flour more fine?  Well, then, am I out of luck here or am I missing something? 

I don't have a vitamix, I just have a "regular" grinder.  I always leave it 1/2 way b/t finest and coarsest.  My cookies always turn out fine as in good fine.   :)  I also use prairie gold, but I use honey to sweeten. Are you wanting a new recipe or what exactly? 

Nickole

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 04:39:44 PM »

I don't have a vitamix, I just have a "regular" grinder.  I always leave it 1/2 way b/t finest and coarsest.  My cookies always turn out fine as in good fine.   :)  I also use prairie gold, but I use honey to sweeten. Are you wanting a new recipe or what exactly? 

I have used honey too, but I think my main thing is my flour is just not working.  I have tried all kinds of recipes I used to use when I had less health discernment (LIFE WAS SO MUCH EASIER! :D) and just substituting the flour.  Sounds like I'm outta luck b/c I don't have a "fine" option to grind.  Poopy. 

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 04:54:08 PM »

Poopy.

Okay this made me chuckle out loud.  whenever my husband or I are out of sorts we say You are poopy.   :D  Life was DEFINTELY easier b/f I was health aware.  Man, I would just bake and we would enjoy, now if I do it the "unhealthy" way I am ridden with guilt.   :'(
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 04:55:58 PM by Pennie »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 05:16:09 PM »

I have used honey too, but I think my main thing is my flour is just not working.  I have tried all kinds of recipes I used to use when I had less health discernment (LIFE WAS SO MUCH EASIER! :D) and just substituting the flour.  Sounds like I'm outta luck b/c I don't have a "fine" option to grind.  Poopy. 

2 ideas- you could use oat flour or you could sift your whole wheat flour. It wouldn't have as much fiber because you will be sifting the bran out but the texture would be better. You could keep the coarser stuff that you sift out in the freezer & add it to bread. I remember reading that if you didn't have whole wheat pastry flour you could sift reg whole wheat flour to use instead. The author then recommended throwing the bran that was sifted out into the flour that was used to make bread. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Nickole

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 01:17:35 AM »

2 ideas- you could use oat flour or you could sift your whole wheat flour. It wouldn't have as much fiber because you will be sifting the bran out but the texture would be better. You could keep the coarser stuff that you sift out in the freezer & add it to bread. I remember reading that if you didn't have whole wheat pastry flour you could sift reg whole wheat flour to use instead. The author then recommended throwing the bran that was sifted out into the flour that was used to make bread. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

I will try that!  Thanks!

Offline AgainstTheGrain

• Adept
  • John & Me
    • My Blog: For Such A Time As This
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2007, 03:59:08 PM »
Since grinding my own flour, I have not had success in making chocolate chip cookies at all.   

Hey Nickole - I've had this problem for nearly 4 years . . . until this week when I found this recipe here at WTM.  They really are AWESOME!  Thanks Christy!!

AWESOME Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. butter (or your fav. dairy free alt.)
1 1/2 c. raw sugar (or sucanat)
2 eggs (or 2 T egg replacer, 1/2 c. water, & 2 T ground flax seed--whisk in bowl & add)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 T. hot water
1 1/2 c. ww pastry flour
2 c. oatmeal
3/4 c. coconut (unsweet is good)
1 c. nuts (i like pecans)
1 pkg. choc chips (or carob or whatever--real is awesome tho   )

mix and bake at 350 for 10 min.
Vanessa in Iowa
Mom to 5 boys and 1 baby girl ages Newborn to 12

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2007, 04:13:44 PM »
Here's another one that I substituted my whole wheat flour in and got great results.

1 cup butter (if you use unsalted butter, add 1/4-1/2 tsp more salt)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 c oats
12 oz chocolate chips
3/4 cup nuts (I always leave out the nuts)

Do the wet ingredients, do the dry ingredients, and mix.  Add oats and ch.chips last
Cook 9-12 minutes @ 375.

I discovered you could substitute because my daughter used WW flour one day when I got her to make cookies.  She wasn't thinking and used the WW flour.  They turned out great.
I haven't tried to sub honey for sugar.  I guess these are only moderately healthy. ::) ;)
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Nickole

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 04:14:12 PM »
Since grinding my own flour, I have not had success in making chocolate chip cookies at all.   

Hey Nickole - I've had this problem for nearly 4 years . . . until this week when I found this recipe here at WTM.  They really are AWESOME!  Thanks Christy!!

AWESOME Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. butter (or your fav. dairy free alt.)
1 1/2 c. raw sugar (or sucanat)
2 eggs (or 2 T egg replacer, 1/2 c. water, & 2 T ground flax seed--whisk in bowl & add)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 T. hot water
1 1/2 c. ww pastry flour
2 c. oatmeal
3/4 c. coconut (unsweet is good)
1 c. nuts (i like pecans)
1 pkg. choc chips (or carob or whatever--real is awesome tho   )

mix and bake at 350 for 10 min.

Did you grind your own pastry flour?  I think I would not be able to, since I don't have a "fine" button.