Author Topic: Aluminum Free Lifestyle  (Read 31366 times)

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
Re: Aluminum Free Lifestyle
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 10:28:32 PM »
Quick question about going to cast iron.  All my pots and pans are severly needing replacement so we decided to go to cast iron after reading this thread.  I am looking at many different skillets but was wondering if preseasoned is a good idea or not.  My concern is that it would just have more harmful junk in it.  I found a good deal on a 3-skillet set but it's preseasoned so I don't know if its worth the money.

You could probably wash the seasoning off (just use soapy water) and then reseason with your own oils!
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2006, 03:30:03 PM »
Okay...I'm getting a new set of 'cookware'.  I have some cast iron, but don't use it regularly.  The griddle I have, although well seasoned, doesn't fit on my stove all that great, and I end up burning the pancakes every single time.  Also, I've read you shouldn't cook anything that is acidic (like tomato-based recipes, etc.) in cast iron.  At any rate...I've been reading on diff cookware and I've found a lot of people like the 'All-Clad' brand that is stainless steel with an aluminum core (for heat conductivity).  It's stainless steel inside and out with just the 'innards' being aluminum.

Okay, oh wise women, I humble myself to your faunts of knowledge.  Which way should we go?  I anxiously await your pearls!!! ~ Camille
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline mamaketler

• Adept
  • Jumping on the bed is fun!
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2006, 06:04:23 PM »
It's amazing how much stuff has aluminum in it.  It was kinda funny; I thought I was doing really well because I switched deoderants, beauty products, baking powder, and cookware to non-aluminum products, but for some reason I had a total mental block about the "tin foil."  I kept using it and it was like 6 months before it finally dawned on me that aluminum foil has ALUMINUM in it!  (duh).  That's been the hardest thing to give up.  :-(
when I ran out of foil I just used a cookie sheet to cover what ever did not have a lid. Works well!!!

Did you know that I am SUPER MOM?

Offline rustysmaus

• Learning
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 08:16:22 PM »
all aluminum pans are out(except for muffin pans, can't find those in cast iron)

They are out there, but they are hard to find (try antique stores and flea markets). And I'm not a big Pampered Chef fan, but I think they make stone-ware muffin pans.
~Laurie

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2006, 02:39:22 AM »
Yes, Pampered Chef sells stoneware.  I just ordered a muffin pan and the mini-loaf pan from them.  If any of you are interested in buying some my sister is having a party soon and you can order through her party online.  Just send me a pm and I'll give you her name to put into the web site.

Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2006, 03:39:18 AM »
Okay...I'm getting a new set of cookware.  I have some cast iron, but don't use it regularly. 
Okay, oh wise women, I humble myself to your founts of knowledge.  Which way should we go?  I anxiously await your pearls!!! ~ Camille

Are you talking about a whole set of cookware or just skillets?  My cookware is stainless steel and works wonderfully.  It is a waterless set and I got it wholesale for about 150 dollars with shipping.  You can also get stainless steel cookie sheets, muffin pans, etc.  And for nonstick skillets- hard anodized cookware doesn't leach.  Sally Fallon talks about problems with the way it is manufactured? but if you have to have nonstick for somethings and want something that doesn't leach and lasts forever, that may be an option.

Tammy

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2006, 02:29:09 PM »
I'm just wondering -- how do you know if a can is a tin can or an aluminum can?  Or is it like "tin foil", where it's all aluminum, even though we call it tin?  I want to cook some bread in some Folgers cans and some honey cans.  How can I find out?
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2006, 02:41:39 PM »
I'm just wondering -- how do you know if a can is a tin can or an aluminum can?  Or is it like "tin foil", where it's all aluminum, even though we call it tin?  I want to cook some bread in some Folgers cans and some honey cans.  How can I find out?

I thought "tin" was aluminum.  Is that not right???  -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2006, 02:59:27 PM »

I just looked them up, and it seems they're different. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 03:08:54 PM by Kati*did »

16goingon17

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2006, 03:00:30 PM »

Aluminum (uncountable)
1. A metallic chemical element (symbol Al) with an atomic number of 13.

Tin
 1. (uncountable) A malleable, ductile, metallic element, resistant to corrosion, with atomic number 50 and symbol Sn.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Main_Page

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2006, 03:11:21 PM »
Okay...I'm getting a new set of cookware.  I have some cast iron, but don't use it regularly. 
Okay, oh wise women, I humble myself to your founts of knowledge.  Which way should we go?  I anxiously await your pearls!!! ~ Camille

Are you talking about a whole set of cookware or just skillets?  My cookware is stainless steel and works wonderfully.  It is a waterless set and I got it wholesale for about 150 dollars with shipping.  You can also get stainless steel cookie sheets, muffin pans, etc.  And for nonstick skillets- hard anodized cookware doesn't leach.  Sally Fallon talks about problems with the way it is manufactured? but if you have to have nonstick for somethings and want something that doesn't leach and lasts forever, that may be an option.

Tammy

i would love to hear more about this, if someone has the book where she talks about it.  i have long wanted to get the anodized cookware and am holding off, wondering if it did leach?  so it doesn't, but what is wrong with the manufacturing?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 05:28:44 PM by fivewittletids »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2006, 03:58:34 PM »
I just had to include my hubby's web site for pampered chef here :D  www.pamperedchef.biz/brandt

It has 6 and 12 muffin cup stoneware, and lots of other stoneware too.

I'm assuming we don't have to attend a party to order from him?

I used to have the huge stone cookie sheet.  I got it for free for pulling in a bunch of orders for my host (she's so sweet).  Anyway I put it on a hot burner on the stove by mistake - no more cookie sheet.   :'(

Walmart carries a knockoff round pizza stone and I couldn't afford to replace my PC stuff so I bought it.  Not bad, but you have to season it well before it stops sticking.  I still miss my PC cookie sheet.  It makes the best cookies I've ever eaten.

HealthyBratt, I did the exact same thing with my huge stone cookie sheet that I loved! I called them, since they have such a good return policy, and they said I could just send it back and they'd send me a new one and they did! It cost $9 to mail that huge thing, but it was worth it for the nice pan. Maybe I shouldn't have told you... you probably got rid of the pan. Maybe if you have a receipt or something....

Offline Lydiaisredeemed

• Learning
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2006, 04:35:01 PM »
If I may share something regarding aluminum and it's detrimental effects on the body.  I totally agree that we should eliminate as much if not all of aluminum.  I am not talking about trace amounts in fruits, veggies, and herbs, but in household items and such. 
My family has a history of Alzheimer's.  Aluminum is linked, among other heavy metals, as its contributor.  My great-grandparents on both of my mother's side had it.  My grandmother is now in a nursing home with it.  She eats candles and everything! :(  My mother has symptoms of it at 51.  Pretty bad ones, too.  And at the age of 27, I was coming down with symptoms of it.  I would drive in my car and forget who I was or where I was going!!  Granted, it only lasted about 3 seconds, but it was very scary.  I would always be forgetting what i had for dinner the night before, but I could tell you almost day for day when I was five.  I even got to the point where I was having hallucinations in the middle of the night!!  Something that I researched was a sign of Alzheimer's.  I cut out:  aluminum deodorant, aluminum baking powder, mascara(I wore it like twice a year, but now I use a Rachel perry kind , still twice a year!) all aluminum pans are out(except for muffin pans, can't find those in cast iron)  I use glass, porcelain, and cast iron for everything!!  I even bought a porcelain enameled tea kettle!  I had gone aluminum free for a long time, but was still occasionally having these night visions.  I couldn't understand why, at first, but then realized that I was getting a ton of aluminum from my tea kettle!  I am happy to say that my memory is much better and I have not had a night vision in over a year since I cut out all of the aluminum!  Praise God!! 
I don't think that everyone needs to be as drastic with the aluminum free things as maybe someone who has a history of Alzheimer's.  It is in my family and I know that it is the best choice for me and my family.  In fact, after I had decreased all of the aluminum, I went to an alternative doctor and had a genetic Alzheimer's disease test and it came back with a very unlikely chance that I will get it!!!  Yeah, for sanity!!! ;D 

have you ever done a heavy metal cleanse or chelation to get rid of what may be still in your body.  this may help ;)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2006, 03:45:46 AM »
Quote from: Lydiaisredeemed link=topic=1020.msg35733#msg35733

[quote
have you ever done a heavy metal cleanse or chelation to get rid of what may be still in your body.  this may help ;)

Well, the fact that it is coming out through my hair is a good sign that it IS coming out.  But I would love to be able to do chelation therapy.  I guess I am just waiting for the day when they are free!  ;D

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2006, 05:29:50 AM »
Okay. I've already switched deodorants. We eat healthy. BUT HOW do you manage to cover your dishes without using aluminum foil or plastic wrap? I've been reading up on plastics and how they get into our food -- you'd rather not know . . .

What do you do? Make little elastic caps to cover your dishes? Use glass or rubber lids?  ??? ??? :-\

If you're talking about while it's in the oven, then you could do what I've started doing and buy casserole dishes that come with lids. (Some casseroles are too big to have lids so I either cover them with foil, making sure it doesn't touch the food, or with a cookie sheet.) As for covering food to store it in the fridge, the covered casseroles come in handy for that too. I have them in a lot of different sizes so even a small amount of leftover food can have its own tiny covered casserole dish.

Also, for those of you looking for non-reactive options to aluminum cookware, don't forget about Corningware and other Pyrex-type glass cookware. It is completely non-reactive and can go from hot to cold and back again without shattering. I absolutely LOVE the Pyrex sauce pan that I found on sale at Tuesday Morning a few years ago (It even came with a lid. LOL) and the stock pot that my mom gave me! And I used to have two small glass frying pans but, at the time, I didn't realize their value and I think I got rid of them while packing for a move (anyway I can't find them now).

WR

« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 06:47:14 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2006, 06:32:01 AM »

bump

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2006, 07:24:40 AM »

bump

COMPETITIVE STRATEGY IN THE MARKETPLACE
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2006, 07:28:15 AM »
Don't aluminum cans contain lead soldering, anyways?

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2006, 07:36:17 AM »

bump

COMPETITIVE STRATEGY IN THE MARKETPLACE

Thanks! 

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2006, 08:48:15 AM »
I've been buying the old type of corning ware at garage sales. It goes on top of the stove, in the stove and refrigerator. I buy it with the lid. They are great to heat up food in too so you can avoid the microwave. I also have different stoneware that I love. If I need a lid I simply use my coring ware lid and then I have no problem. I store everything in the corning ware in the refrigerator. I try to avoid the plastic. Acid foods really do leach in the plastic. Have you ever seen the stained plastic or smelled plastic over time?

Also I bought me a Cuisinart 10" saute pan that is stainless yesterday at Dillard's. The professional brand is all on 50% off for Christmas. My pan was $30. It's heavy duty. I've found that the cheaper stainless steel burns the food. Dillard's also has a large set , like 12 pieces, for $150. My piece was in that set, but I already have a lot of stainless. The pan is my Christmas present.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2006, 10:37:53 AM »
How do you know if they are aluminum? I mean, I know some of them say what they are on the bottom, but is there a certain look or feel that makes it obvious?

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2006, 12:01:22 PM »
Put a magnet on the pot/pan. If a magnet holds it's aluminum.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2006, 03:45:18 PM »
Put a magnet on the pot/pan. If a magnet holds it's aluminum.
As far as I know aluminum is NOT magnetic.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2006, 03:55:35 PM »
I've been buying the old type of corning ware at garage sales. It goes on top of the stove, in the stove and refrigerator. I buy it with the lid. They are great to heat up food in too so you can avoid the microwave. I also have different stoneware that I love. If I need a lid I simply use my coring ware lid and then I have no problem. I store everything in the corning ware in the refrigerator. I try to avoid the plastic. Acid foods really do leach in the plastic. Have you ever seen the stained plastic or smelled plastic over time?

I have some of this old Corning Ware from my mother-in-law and I know that it says it is safe on the stove-top, but it scares me to use it on there!!  I also collect pyrex from the 50's!  I love the colors!  (turquoise, lime green, flamingo pink - I'm going with those colors for decorating my kitchen!)  I love the old "refrigerator boxes" made for storing leftovers!  You can find them easily at antique stores. 

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2006, 06:02:51 PM »
*Sigh* I collect 50s pyrex too. Mine is getting scratched up from so much use...it makes me sad!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2007, 09:48:59 AM »
I found this article.  Interesting...

One can take steps to minimise the effects of aluminium in the environment. A sustained, three pronged attack is the most effective response;

* Avoiding it,
    * Blocking its uptake with supplements (calcium, magnesium, iron)
    * Eating foodstuffs that help to eliminate it from your system. Sulfur-rich foods such as cabbage, beans and lentils, onions, garlic asafetida (alt. sp. asafoetida)and egg yolks.

from http://www.hints-n-tips.com/aluminum.htm
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2007, 03:05:42 PM »
How do you know if they are aluminum? I mean, I know some of them say what they are on the bottom, but is there a certain look or feel that makes it obvious?

I buy most of our household items second hand & it can be hard to tell if something is aluminum or stainless steel. I don't always have a magnet & besides, if the item is thin stainless a magnet may not stick anyway. The easy way to tell them apart is to rub the item firmly with a tissue or your thumb. Aluminum will leave a black smudge, stainless will not. I don't know if this works with the anodized aluminum pans but it works with regular aluminum. Anodized aluminum has a distinctive color that is easy to recognize. HTH

BTW one common source of aluminum that I think a lot of people miss is the splatter screens that you put on top of pans to keep food from spattering all over the stove. I LOVE those things & use them all the time but even if they have a steel frame the mesh is almost always aluminum. The rub test doesn't work on this because the screen will tear up a tissue or your thumb so I do not buy them second hand ever. The only new ones that I have found that say they are all stainless- frame & mesh- on the label is Martha Steward at K Mart. If anyone else knows of somewhere else that carries them I would love to know where else to get them. Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:08:48 PM by herbalmom »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2007, 03:16:30 PM »
BTW one common source of aluminum that I think a lot of people miss is the splatter screens that you put on top of pans to keep food from spattering all over the stove.
Thanks for the heads up.  This was on my "to get" list.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2007, 03:32:11 PM »
BTW one common source of aluminum that I think a lot of people miss is the splatter screens that you put on top of pans to keep food from spattering all over the stove.

Thanks for the heads up.  This was on my "to get" list.

Your welcome, HB but don't choke when you see the price of the ones at K Mart. They run about $10 each but they are the only all stainless I can find & $10 beats scrubbing the stove, wall, counter, etc. I have 3 & use them all the time. The good news is that they are 12 in across which is bigger than some of them. Just thought I'd warn you. ~herbalmom

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2007, 04:53:20 PM »
I found this article.  Interesting...

One can take steps to minimise the effects of aluminium in the environment. A sustained, three pronged attack is the most effective response;

* Avoiding it,
    * Blocking its uptake with supplements (calcium, magnesium, iron)
    * Eating foodstuffs that help to eliminate it from your system. Sulfur-rich foods such as cabbage, beans and lentils, onions, garlic asafetida (alt. sp. asafoetida)and egg yolks.

from http://www.hints-n-tips.com/aluminum.htm

Thank you... this was helpful. Is that garlic asafetida just regular garlic?
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21